Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtMale UP11514, 16-30, Brewster Projects, Jul'13 - Bilal Berreni

Wonder when we might learn anything... if there's an on-going investigation maybe they got a tip as to the UID's identity or something else along those lines. New evidence? Don't know. Curious.

Wonder when we might learn anything... if there's an on-going investigation maybe they got a tip as to the UID's identity or something else along those lines. New evidence? Don't know. Curious.

I know! I keep checking, but haven't seen any updates on the case or his identity.

A non-WS friend who lives in Detroit just happened to post this on Facebook this morning. Sad and interesting story. He has been identified as Bilal Berreni, 23, of France.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014303280015

Three years ago, Bilal Berreni left France for Tunisia, where he painted images on cardboard of those who had fallen during the revolution.

He spent time in a camp on the Libyan border to paint images of refugees, and he lived for more than a month in a hut in northern Sweden, drawing and spending hours each day collecting wood to keep warm.

The young French street artist came to Detroit, too. He was here twice, but exactly what he did here still isn’t clear. But the trip he made to the city last year was his last, anywhere.

The 23-year-old painter was found dead at the dilapidated Brewster project on Detroit’s east side. He had been shot in the face, and his body was left lying in the street.
But there was one clue: Michigan State Police Detective Trooper Sarah Krebs noticed he was wearing European-style boots. She had his fingerprints run through a federal database, and the hit came back this month.

Now his name is known, but his killing remains a mystery. Detroit police are seeking anyone in the local art community who knew Berreni or had contact with him. Meanwhile, his loved ones are planning a memorial service in Paris on Sunday.

A non-WS friend who lives in Detroit just happened to post this on Facebook this morning. Sad and interesting story. He has been identified as Bilal Berreni, 23, of France.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014303280015

Thank you so much for sharing it. I'm not surprised to see he's not from the US. When Trooper Krebs posted him as UP of the week; I pasted in his NamUs info; along with his not being circumcised. She mentioned to me that it was "unique"; I replied that it was pretty uncommon for the US until the last few years; but very common in other countries. I have a parenting page on FB; one of my admins lives in Canada. I don't know if what I said made her look at finger prints in other countries.

I hope they find his killer so he can rest in peace.

Thank you so much for sharing it. I'm not surprised to see he's not from the US. When Trooper Krebs posted him as UP of the week; I pasted in his NamUs info; along with his not being circumcised. She mentioned to me that it was "unique"; I replied that it was pretty uncommon for the US until the last few years; but very common in other countries. I have a parenting page on FB; one of my admins lives in Canada. I don't know if what I said made her look at finger prints in other countries.

I hope they find his killer so he can rest in peace.

Hey Roselvr, where does she post the UPs of the week? Is it on a Detroit website or on Namus?

Thanks FiveFelines for posting that story. What a sad tragic end to such an intellectual free spirit. I hope his identification leads to justice. So sad.

I do wonder how many Does are missing from other countries than where they were found. When I read that Bilal was from Europe, I remembered a lot of my Dad's online European friends' answer to why don't they visit the United States as well as the other countries they go to. They said it was too dangerous in the United States. Bilal proves their point. JMO and :twocents:

Imagine someone suggesting a match for a person missing from France, Tunisia and/or Sweden to a dead body found in Detroit.

Maybe we should bookmark this one as a stranger than fiction example of how mobile people can be.

A few photos of Bilal

Trooper Sarah Krebs sketch

attachment.php

Bilal Berreni

attachment.php

Bilal painting

attachment.php

Attachments

• BilalBerreniSketch.jpg
    BilalBerreniSketch.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 152
  • BilalBerreniPhoto.jpg
    BilalBerreniPhoto.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 152
  • BilalBerreniPainting.jpg
    BilalBerreniPainting.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 151
Imagine someone suggesting a match for a person missing from France, Tunisia and/or Sweden to a dead body found in Detroit.

Maybe we should bookmark this one as a stranger than fiction example of how mobile people can be.

I keep saying that on some of the threads. "How did *advertiser censored* get to yyy?" "Well, probably they took a plane, but they might have hitched a ride or taken the bus." We live in a mobile world. It's true that some matches are really unlikely, and submissions are difficult across national boundaries, but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to rule out on that basis alone.

It's not even so much that we would rule it out. I was thinking more along the lines of trying to get LE to take a possible match like that seriously. Also, while things might be changing in Europe, in the past they have been exceptionally guarded with personal information on people so there isn't always much to work with.

I keep saying that on some of the threads. "How did *advertiser censored* get to yyy?" "Well, probably they took a plane, but they might have hitched a ride or taken the bus." We live in a mobile world. It's true that some matches are really unlikely, and submissions are difficult across national boundaries, but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to rule out on that basis alone.

http://www.ourmidland.com/entertain...cle_db944f20-19b2-575d-b9f6-3261c5e56424.html

Dionte Travis, 17, Jasin Curtis, 18, and Drequone Rich, 20, were arraigned Wednesday on first-degree murder and armed robbery charges. They return to court Sept. 11 for a probable cause hearing.

On Thursday, the 14-year-old had his first court appearance in the case.

"I'm being charged as an adult?" the boy asked juvenile court referee Anthony Crutchfield at Thursday's hearing, according to The Detroit News.

http://www.wptv.com/news/13-year-old-murder-suspect-uses-victims-money-to-buy-weed-and-junk-food

Police sources say they confessed to the robbery and murder of French street artist Bilal Berreni at the old Brewster Projects. But did the three young men possess the "intellectual capacity" to understand what they were giving up when they waived their Miranda rights and talked to police after their arrests?

That's the question defense attorneys for 17-year-old Dionte Darryl Travis, 18-year-old Jasin Reno Curtis and 20-year-old Drequone Lamar Rich want answered with the competency evaluations they requested Thursday...

A 14-year-old alleged accomplice... reportedly told police that part of their mission was to go out "murkin'" that day. Murkin' has been described as looking for someone to randomly murder. The young teenager also reportedly told police that he used his share of the money stolen from Berreni to buy marijuana and junk food.

http://www.thealpenanews.com/page/c...ch-street-artist-slaying.html?isap=1&nav=5012

On Tuesday, Detroit District Judge Michael Wagner ruled there's probable cause to send 20-year-old Drequone Rich to trial on a first-degree murder charge. Wagner on Friday ordered 17-year-old Dionte Travis and 18-year-old Jasin Curtis tried on the same charge.

A trial would be in Wayne County Circuit Court, where the three defendants make their first appearance Friday. A 14-year-old is awaiting a separate trial in juvenile court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back