MI MI - Francis "Pat" Brown, 17, & Sheldon Miller, 14, fatally shot, Detroit, 3 Jul 1964

Detroit Metropolitan Police investigated the 3 July 1964 murder of Francis Patrick Brown, 17 and Sheldon Robert Miller, 14. The investigation involved almost the entire department from the Police Commissioner on down at the very start. By 14 February 1965 after an extensive investigation, the case was still unsolved and only three investigators were still assigned to it.

Crime Scene: The Robert C. Milan Memorial Playfield, a 12 acre field, adjacent to and west of Emerson School on Huntington Ave. The playfield is bordered by Curtis to the south and Pickford to the North. The westernmost end of the field is just past Plainview.

Overhead photos of the Crime Scene were taken and published in the 12 July 1964 edition of the Detroit News, along with annotated positions of where the bodies were located, where various evidence was found, and where certain witnesses stood.

Detroit Police investigators determined that about 28 persons, most of them teenagers, were in the Milan Playfield around the time of the shootings.

Witnesses:

Here are the names and 1964 addresses of some witnesses as reported in the Detroit News articles:

- Linda Miller, 17, sister of Sheldon Miller. She was with her brother most of the evening until he met up with his friend Pat Brown in the playfield some time shortly after 10 PM. She watched the boys set off a few firecrackers and then left them to go to the Miller home.

- David Charles Budson, 16, discovered the bodies at 12:05 AM 4 July 1964 while out walking a dog. He lived at 19275 Cooley. David later attended the University of Michigan and became a Medical Doctor. He died at age 63 in Berkeley, California.

- Arthur Waldman, 16, was with Budson when they found the two bodies. He lived at 19923 Cooley. Both he and Budson were students at Cass Tech High School. Arthur also later studied medicine at the University of Michigan, and currently practices medicine in Wisconsin.

- Thomas Termini, 16, of 18554 Plainview, was in the playfield with friend Linda Johnson, when they encountered both Pat and Sheldon. Thomas spoke with Pat, whom he knew, for a few minutes and then he and Linda left them to cut across the playfield. Thomas could still hear Pat's voice across the playfield when he heard what he described as " a number of explosions - five, six, or seven of them in a row". He attached no importance to them at the time.

About the same time that Thomas Termini heard the explosions, he and Linda were walking by a house at Anchester and Pickford, when they heard something bounce against what he thought was the house. Later investigators found a .22 slug embedded in a telephone pole near the house.

- Linda Johnson, 15, of 18900 Plainview, spoke with Sheldon briefly and learned that the boys had just purchased some firecrackers. She was with Thomas Termini that evening. Thomas and Linda were possibly the last witnesses to see Pat and Sheldon alive.

- Mrs. James Ross of 18400 Huntington, stated that there were a lot of boys in the playground that night as well as two cars.

- Louis Kanaras of 18400 Edinborough, stated that there were a lot of firecrackers going off, but heard what he thought might have been a quick succession of six shots fired at about 10:30 PM.

- Two boys (unnamed in News reports) ages 19 and 15 stated that they had sold two packets of 16 firecrackers each to Pat and one packet to Sheldon. They may have been closest to the scene of the shooting. One packet of firecrackers was found with Patrick Brown, and one packet of firecrackers was found with Sheldon Miller.

- A boy, age 17 (unnamed in News accounts), claimed to have seen an older teenager or young man, large in size, about 6 feet tall, heavyset leaving the area of the shooting at about 10:45 PM. He said that he did not know the man's name, but ran from him because he believed he recognized him as a "bully" that he had encountered on the playfield before.

- Richard Brown, 20, brother of Francis Patrick Brown, was home on leave from the Coast Guard. He heard the police sirens and saw the night time activity of the homicide investigation. In the morning, police took him to the site of the murder to see where his brother had been killed.

Detroit Police investigators developed a detailed chronology of locations and person contacts for Francis Patrick "Pat" Brown in the hours leading up to his murder. They had a somewhat less detailed chronology for Sheldon Miller because he had spent most of the evening at home with his family. No motive or solid suspect was ever determined for what seemed a senseless and brutal killing of the two boys.

The initial reports mentioned as a possible suspect, a large, heavy set man who might have been over six feet tall. That description came from a 17 year old boy (unnamed in News reports).

Days later, that 17 year -old boy tentatively picked out a 22 year-old man in a police lineup, as possibly the person he had seen. However, the person he picked out (also not named in News reports) was considered NOT a suspect due to an alibi: he was being questioned by Dearborn police on another matter at 11PM the night of the shootings.

Last edited:
I just read the book linked previously. The author (a teen at the time) lived in the neighborhood and had been at the park with a friend that night, but went home around dark. He was awakened the next morning by his parents and police, who questioned him.

According to this article in the DFP, some young men were given poly exams, but passed. Just guessing, but the author was probably one of them. So it does seem LE was pretty thorough in interviewing a lot of the area kids.

6 Jul 1964, Page 1 - Detroit Free Press at Newspapers.com

The author felt it was some kind of revenge or anger killing, with most of the anger directed at Sheldon Miller. He seemed to think it may have been anti-Semitic in nature. After years of investigating on his own, he has a list of 3 people who he thinks may have done it. I'm assuming he means one of the three was involved or possibly 2? Not sure.

The article at the link above also notes that the mysterious "hang up" phone calls that came to the Brown household occurred the week before the shooting. A call also came to the Miller household at 8pm the night after the murders in which the caller said "I got your boy and you're next".

Also odd was the report from a waitress who said 2 boys came into the restaurant where she worked. They got change and made a phone call in which one of them said a friend of his got killed and "remember I was home at 10:30".

I wonder if LE checked with all the parents whose kids were hanging out there to see if they owned a pistol like the alleged murder weapon. It seems like the kind a dad would purchase (at Sears, no less) to keep in a drawer for security purposes. JMO, some people know who killed these boys. Their parents also probably knew or at least strongly suspected and lied to protect them.

Weather Underground historical information about the weather that night.

Astronomical twilight was at 10:26 that night.

Detroit, MI Weather History | Weather Underground

It would be nice to see local news media or a podcast cover these murders again. Until Mr. Gibson wrote his book, they seemed to have been forgotten.

It would be nice to see local news media or a podcast cover these murders again. Until Mr. Gibson wrote his book, they seemed to have been forgotten.

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press were the papers which covered this case in depth starting the morning of 4 July 1964. Coverage was very good and lasted for about two weeks, then with no new developments it stopped.

About 7 months later, in February of 1965, there was pretty comprehensive "follow-up" story in the Detroit News which updated the public on the investigation up to that point. If there were any other follow on or anniversary articles on the case, I have not seen them. Perhaps a search of microfilm archives for those papers might turn up something.

I recently contacted a member of a Michigan Cold Case interagency task force with all the information I could gather on these murders. He stated that he did not know of the case but would ensure that it was brought to the attention of the task force for consideration.

Last edited:
I just read the book linked previously. ... The article at the link above also notes that the mysterious "hang up" phone calls that came to the Brown household occurred the week before the shooting. A call also came to the Miller household at 8pm the night after the murders in which the caller said "I got your boy and you're next". ...

I wonder if LE checked with all the parents whose kids were hanging out there to see if they owned a pistol like the alleged murder weapon. It seems like the kind a dad would purchase (at Sears, no less) to keep in a drawer for security purposes. JMO, some people know who killed these boys. Their parents also probably knew or at least strongly suspected and lied to protect them.

The Detroit News mentioned the phone calls you reference. The Browns were receiving strange calls but no messages or threats. Because of the irritating calls, they got the phone company to give them a new, unlisted number on Thursday - the day before the murders. There was a single call to the Abe Miller home on Saturday, 4 July 1964 with the message you mention. It should be pointed out that both families were identified in the newspapers that day, along with their street addresses. Anyone with a phone book could have looked up the Miller's phone number, but the number of the Brown family would have been disconnected.

Regarding the .22 pistol - it was not found at the scene, but fired bullets and ejected shell casings which could identify it were found. The police did a door to door visit, questioning most of the residents in the vicinity. They also tested any pistols which they could find. By February 1965, they had tested over 700 firearms and interviewed over 1,500 persons. A number of lie detector tests had also been administered. Also, quite a number of lesser crimes such as burglaries had been solved because of the large dragnet operation. But, unfortunately, the murders themselves remain unsolved to this day.

Last edited:
Here are the popular songs that were playing that summer...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE TOP 50 SONGS OF SUMMER, 1964 (National Edition)

1. I GET AROUND - The Beach Boys (Capitol)
2. RAG DOLL - The 4 Seasons (Philips)
3. MEMPHIS - Johnny Rivers (Imperial)
4. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - The Beatles (Capitol)
5. A WORLD WITHOUT LOVE - Peter & Gordon (Capitol)
6. EVERYBODY LOVES SOMEBODY - Dean Martin (Reprise)
7. CHAPEL OF LOVE - The Dixie Cups (Red Bird)
8. MY BOY LOLLIPOP - Millie Small (Smash)
9. WISHIN' AND HOPIN' - Dusty Springfield (Philips)
10. THE LITTLE OLD LADY (From Pasadena) - Jan & Dean (Liberty)
11. PEOPLE - Barbra Streisand (Columbia)
12. DON'T LET THE SUN CATCH YOU CRYING - Gerry & The Pacemakers (Laurie)
13. THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA - Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto (Verve)
14. UNDER THE BOARDWALK - The Drifters (Atlantic)
15. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - The Supremes (Motown)
16. DANG ME - Roger Miller (Smash)
17. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT SHE'S MINE - The Dave Clark Five (Epic)
18. LOVE ME WITH ALL YOUR HEART (Cuando Calienta El Sol) - The Ray Charles Singers (Command)
19. LOVE ME DO - The Beatles (Tollie)
20. KEEP ON PUSHING - The Impressions (ABC-Paramount)
21. LITTLE CHILDREN - Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas (Imperial)
22. WALK ON BY - Dionne Warwick (Scepter)
23. NO PARTICULAR PLACE TO GO - Chuck Berry (Chess)
24. I WANNA LOVE HIM SO BAD - The Jelly Beans (Red Bird)
25. MY GUY - Mary Wells (Motown)
26. C'MON AND SWIM - Bobby Freeman (Autumn)
27. BAD TO ME - Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas (Imperial)
28. HELLO, DOLLY! - Louis Armstrong & The All Stars (Kapp)
29. STEAL AWAY - Jimmy Hughes (Fame)
30. TELL ME WHY - Bobby Vinton (Epic)
31. DON'T THROW YOUR LOVE AWAY - The Searchers (Kapp)
32. PEOPLE SAY - The Dixie Cups (Red Bird)
33. GOOD TIMES - Sam Cooke (RCA Victor)
34. NOBODY I KNOW - Peter & Gordon (Capitol)
35. TRY IT BABY - Marvin Gaye (Tamla)
36. (You Don't Know) HOW GLAD I AM - Nancy Wilson (Capitol)
37. DIANE - The Bachelors (London)
38. BECAUSE - The Dave Clark Five (Epic)
39. WALK--DON'T RUN '64 - The Ventures (Dolton)
40. TEARS AND ROSES - Al Martino (Capitol)
41. HANDYMAN - Del Shannon (Amy)
42. HOW DO YOU DO IT? - Gerry & The Pacemakers (Laurie)
43. THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN - The Animals (MGM)
44. AIN'T SHE SWEET - The Beatles (Atco)
45. DO YOU LOVE ME - The Dave Clark Five (Epic)
46. FARMER JOHN - The Premiers (Warner Bros.)
47. JUST BE TRUE - Gene Chandler (Constellation)
48. (Just Like) ROMEO AND JULIET - The Reflections (Golden World)
49. TODAY - The New Christy Minstrels (Columbia)
50. WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU BABY - Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells (Motown)

LINK:
Forgotten Hits - The Biggest Hits Of Summer, 1964

A Profile...

The killer was probably a white male, age 22-32 with some sort of criminal history. Probably considered "odd" or "weird" by most people he encountered or interacted with. A Loner who murdered the boys on his own.

He was possibly in the general area of the murder for legitimate reasons. He may have been living in the neighborhood or staying in the area temporarily for work, school, or a meeting/event of some sort.

He might have lived or worked nearby or may have been staying with a family member or acquaintance. The crime scene area may have been on a normal route for him to travel in his daily activities - whether walking to or from work, the store, or just walking around alone.

He probably had an identified disorder; mental or behavioral, and may have been involved in prior incidents because of it.

He might abuse intoxicants and may have been under their influence at the time.

There were frequent residence changes (moves) in the killer's past - prior to, and after the incident. At times he may have lived with parents or a family member past age 18.

The killer was probably unknown (a stranger) to the victims.

He was probably unemployed or underemployed at time of the attack.

His occupation (when employed) was blue collar. While possibly trained in a skilled trade, he may also have worked in jobs considered "unskilled" or "semi skilled".

He was probably unmarried and not in an intimate relationship at the time.

He was not in any kind of legal custody status (Probation/Parole etc.) at the time.

His victims were selected as targets of opportunity and not targeted specifically.

The killer was on foot at the time of the shootings, but very likely used a vehicle to leave the area.

The killer was familiar with firearms and was able to accurately fire his revolver in the dark hitting both victims with most shots fired. He was able to reload in the dark and had the presence of mind to return to the point of initial attack to shoot them again.

He had the presence of mind to depart the area, once he knew that his victims were dead, thereby avoiding arrest and identification.

That firecrackers were going off all around at the time may have been a factor in the killer's decision to shoot his victims. He may have been upset by all the noise and felt that a thrown firecracker was intended to injure or anger him.

He may have fired his revolver knowing that the sounds of firecrackers would mask the shots. The lack of any response following his initial attack may have emboldened him to take more time to return and shoot his victims again.

He may have had prior military training and experience.

He felt no sympathy or empathy for his victims or their families. He felt no guilt and felt completely justified in killing them for whatever reasons/logic motivated him.

This killer most likely killed others before and after these murders.

Beginning in mid July 1964, and extending through mid November 1964, there was a major newspaper strike and both the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press newspapers stopped printing. Reporting on this story came to an abrupt end after 12 July 1964 for that reason. There was a very well written update on the case published 14 February 1965 in the Detroit News after the strike ended.

During the duration of the strike (22 July - 22 November 1964) there was an interim newspaper published called the Detroit Daily Press. It ran for 122 days, during which time it became the fifth largest U.S. daily. It is possible that it contained other stories relating to the murders.

LINK:
About The Detroit daily press. [volume] (Detroit, Mich.) 1964-1964 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:
Ballistics

Police stated in the early press conferences that the murder weapon was one of five different types of 9 shot .22 revolvers.

The "five" types were really basically two: Hi-Standard Sentinel/Double Nine (or the same with the Sears name also made by Hi-Standard) or the Harrington and Richardson 922 blued revolver (The H&R 923 was the same revolver, but nickel plated).

Extensive laboratory tests on the bullets and casings were conducted and it is likely that Detroit Police later determined more positively the specific make and model of revolver used.

Police found 8 expended shells and one live round (which was NOT a misfire) all in the same place 78 feet away from the bodies - as would have occurred if ejected all at the same time from a revolver cylinder. The boys suffered a total of 11 or 12 bullet wounds (depending on what news story one reads) and there was one bullet found embedded in a telephone pole a block away. Most of the fired bullets were recovered and tested. They were all of the same type; .22 Remington Gold Tone.

It was determined that the killer fired 8 rounds at the boys, walked away, ejected the expended shells (and one live round), reloaded and then returned to shoot the boys again. He likely pocketed the revolver, without ejecting any casings fired in his second attack and quickly exited the area.

Such a scenario would almost exclude one of the two basic types of pistol identified early on by police - that of the Harrington and Richardson.

To reload that H&R model, the cylinder pin had to be pulled out, the cylinder removed from the frame, and all of the shell casings dumped out by hand, sometimes requiring a push-out with the cylinder pin. This would not necessarily ensure that the casings fell out together in a tight grouping.

Then the cylinder would have to be reloaded, reinserted in the frame and the pin replaced. This requires the shooter to hold in his two hands; the revolver frame, the cylinder, the cylinder pin, and 9 rounds of ammunition.

Additionally, all of this would have to be done in the dark.

The Hi Standard Sentinel, on the other hand, had a swing-out cylinder and a spring loaded ejector which could dump all shells together with the cylinder remaining attached to the revolver frame. Reloading could be done more quickly and easily with the shooter holding the intact revolver in one hand and loading it with the other.

If the recovered bullets, casings, and ballistic test reports still exist in evidence, it might be possible to re-examine it today in an effort to solve this cold case.

Last edited:
Dark Impulse Dark Action by Frederick Gibson
''I am writing this to attest to the respect and admiration I have for the author of this book, Frederick Gibson. Though I have never met Mr. Gibson, I never met anyone quite like him. I am Richard Brown, brother of Pat Brown. He was murdered along with his friend Sheldon Miller July 3, 1964. For 47 years I have tucked these murders away in a dark place never really realizing the pain I was in. Then, early this year, 2011, I went to the Detroit Police Dept. in an effort to learn if DNA, unavailable in 1964, could be helpful in solving these murders. This same year, as I was discouraged, thinking nothing could ever be done to help solve this case, Frederick Gibson’s book "Dark Impulse Dark Action: The murders of Sheldon Miller and Pat Brown" was brought to my attention. Amazingly, unknown to me, Frederick had doggedly been pursuing the killer of Sheldon and Pat for years. This year he was interviewed on television at the sight of the murders by a prominent local reporter. My family found me and told me how this amazing author has been pursuing the killer of Pat and Sheldon. Fred was there! Fortune sent him out of the park not long before the murders. I have to assume he could have been there for the "fireworks" and died himself. His tenacity is unequaled in any of my lifetime experiences. The results of his efforts are astonishing. He has made clear to me the number of lives this case has touched. I thought it was long since forgotten.... Not so.... I have talked with Fred at some length, filling in what details I could and more keeps surfacing. Whatever the outcome, my brother and his good friend Sheldon are not and will never be forgotten.
I am proud to know Mr. Frederick Gibson! Read this book; there is true humanity in this world as you will be reminded.

Richard Brown''
41Jp8J2N0nL.jpg

Dark Impulse Dark Action
Sheldon Miller Francis Brown murdered July 3, 1964. Detroit Michigan UNSOLVED COLD CASE - Newspapers.com

Last edited:
FWIW this guy from Windsor Ontario caught my eye, imo, speculation.
Mathew Charles Lamb - Wikipedia
''Mathew Charles "Matt" Lamb (5 January 1948 – 7 November 1976) was a Canadian spree killer who, in 1967, avoided Canada's then-mandatory death penalty for capital murder by being found not guilty by reason of insanity. Abandoned by his teenage mother soon after his birth in Windsor, Ontario, Lamb suffered an abusive upbringing at the hands of his step-grandfather, leading him to become emotionally detached from his relatives and peers. He developed violent tendencies that manifested themselves in his physical assault of a police officer at the age of 16 in February 1964, and his engaging in a brief shoot-out with law enforcement ten months later. After this latter incident he spent 14 months, starting in April 1965, at Kingston Penitentiary, a maximum security prison in eastern Ontario.

Seventeen days after his release from jail in June 1966, Lamb took a shotgun from his uncle's house and went on a shooting spree around his East Windsor neighbourhood, killing two strangers and wounding two others''

3 h 35 min (352.4 km) via I-75 N and US-10 W
windsor to michigan - بحث Google

FWIW this guy from Windsor Ontario caught my eye, imo, speculation.
Mathew Charles Lamb - Wikipedia
''Mathew Charles "Matt" Lamb (5 January 1948 – 7 November 1976) was a Canadian spree killer who, in 1967, avoided Canada's then-mandatory death penalty for capital murder by being found not guilty by reason of insanity. ...

Seventeen days after his release from jail in June 1966, Lamb took a shotgun from his uncle's house and went on a shooting spree around his East Windsor neighbourhood, killing two strangers and wounding two others''...

The map you linked is a bit confusing, showing a Michigan city named Windsor rather than the one in Canada. Here is a map which shows the City of Detroit (Michigan) and the City of Windsor, Canada. You can see how close they are, separated only by the Detroit River. Click on image to enlarge.

The .22 rifle cartridges used to kill Pat and Sheldon were "rimfire" rounds, which have the priming in the rim of the casing. To ignite the powder in the casing, a firing pin hits the rim, leaving an imprint. This imprint shows what type or shape the firing pin was, and this in turn helps to identify the type of weapon was used. Also, marks can be made on the casing which show the imprint of the bolt face, or scratches might appear from the loading mechanism or the extractor/ejector.

A bullet which has been fired from a rifle or pistol will have rifling marks on it which also help to determine the type of weapon used. These marks on bullets and on spent shell casings can also assist in the identification of a specific weapon when compared with a test cartridge fired from a suspected firearm.

Rifle or pistol barrels could have anywhere from 2 to 16 grooves and lands in them. These are spiral cuts which impart spin and stability to the bullet while in flight. These marks are like "fingerprints" to ballistic experts.

The general measurements and number of grooves help to determine the type or make of weapon that was used, but included within the rifling marks are very specific/unique scratches and marks made when the bullet passed through the barrel and which can help to identify the exact weapon which was used in the crime.

Bullets, casings, and unfired cartridges might also contain further evidence, such as DNA and human fingerprints which can help to link the murder weapon to an individual.

The study of wounds made by bullets can also yield clues as to method and actions of the killer.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echizenryoma
Back