MI MI - Ida Richardson-Anderson, 21, Detroit, 18 Sept 1958

I tried searching on zabasearch and there are some listed, but we need other info - age (possible) middle initial ?

I don't have a middle initial, and can only assume Carol Moser was somewhere near Ida's age.

I am thinking Carol Moser will be hard to find, since she may not be in Michigan anymore, and probably doesn't have the same last name anymore. I can't find any Michigan marriage records online. My first thought is to find a library in Michigan that has the city directories, and see if they can find any other Mosers in that city at the same time Carol was listed. It would also help to find the full range of years that she was listed in that directory. If we could figure out who her parents were, it might lead to an obituary (of her parents) that would give Carol's new last name and location.

Dan, do you know if Carol was listed in a range of years, or just that she was listed once?

I just sent a request to the Library of Michigan. They have a limit of 2 searches per person, so I requested 1958 & 1959 Ann Arbor City Directory lookups for all Mosers.

I also found a city directory collector who has the 1963 directory for Ann Arbor. I also sent him a request for all Mosers listed in that year.

I am thinking Carol Moser will be hard to find, since she may not be in Michigan anymore, and probably doesn't have the same last name anymore. I can't find any Michigan marriage records online. My first thought is to find a library in Michigan that has the city directories, and see if they can find any other Mosers in that city at the same time Carol was listed. It would also help to find the full range of years that she was listed in that directory. If we could figure out who her parents were, it might lead to an obituary (of her parents) that would give Carol's new last name and location.

Dan, do you know if Carol was listed in a range of years, or just that she was listed once?

I'll have to dig out my mountain of paperwork gathered over the years and find that out for you. I believe I Xeroxed the Ann Arbor City Directory listing for 1958. I didn't think to look in succeeding years at the time. It was a Friday and everything was closing. I barely got the Probate Court records.

I'll get back to you on that.

Thanks for you help!

Danny

In the social security death index, I found a total of 5 listings for Carol Moser. Only one was from Michigan and died there also. She was born in 1933. Her last residence was Saginaw, MI. Her SS# was issued in MI.

The middle initial for this Carol Moser (above) is J.

In the social security death index, I found a total of 5 listings for Carol Moser. Only one was from Michigan and died there also. She was born in 1933. Her last residence was Saginaw, MI. Her SS# was issued in MI.

The middle initial for this Carol Moser (above) is J.

I think I saw an obit for that Carol J Moser, and Moser is her married name, maiden name is Peters...if it's the one I'm thinking of...

another avenue to take would be search of marriage records for Carol, an inquiry can be put in over at ancestory.com. It is worth a shot.

Hey Danny its Heather. I am wondering if possible that Moser was spelled Mosier? I was able to get a hold of Carol, the lady in my area whos mothers maiden name was moser, and she said that Moser was an uncommon spelling, and that Mosier was more common. She is also going to get into contact with her uncle and see if he was aware of any other Carol Moser. I will let you know.

Chad Scott of TrackMissing.org set up my filing a missing persons report - 51 years after the fact. Next: DNA submitted to CODIS now that we have a Case File #.

Thanks Chad and Heather for everything!!

Danny,
I have been SUPER busy lately, but I haven't forgot about Ida. I have a few calls in to people and I am waiting on some more information. Just wanted to tell you how much we appreciated having you at the fundraiser!
Thanks,
Heather

Hey Danny its Heather. I am wondering if possible that Moser was spelled Mosier? I was able to get a hold of Carol, the lady in my area whos mothers maiden name was moser, and she said that Moser was an uncommon spelling, and that Mosier was more common. She is also going to get into contact with her uncle and see if he was aware of any other Carol Moser. I will let you know.

It seems we've tracked down Carol Moser, although at present she is unwilling to get involved. All we'd like to know is what she knows of Ida's last days before her disappearance. She's the only connection we have. Pray! Thanks

It seems we've tracked down Carol Moser, although at present she is unwilling to get involved. All we'd like to know is what she knows of Ida's last days before her disappearance. She's the only connection we have. Pray! Thanks

:banghead:

I was just wondering, has anyone in the family EVER talked with Carol after Ida went missing? Did anyone come pick up Ida's belongings from her apartment? Has anyone other then Ida ever seeing Carol? I am asking because, is there a chance Carol is Ida?

I have been lurking here for awhile and would love to help. Why does she say she does not want to get involved? I like Julie R's theory, but even if she is not Ida, it is very curious that Carol would not want to get involved. She obviously knows more than she is willing to reveal. On another note, I have an ancestry.com account, so can help with any research you may need. Was Ida's middle name Dean? Do you know where Ida and Kenneth were married--in Michigan? Where did they meet-in Florida or in Michigan? Do you know if she ever lived in Ohio or elsewhere? Had she ever worked, and if so, as what? Were you ever able to get her hospital records or court documents from Ann Arbor? Do you know if she ever checked out of the hospital? Did Belle ever talk to anyone at the hospital (when she wrote her last letter and had pneumonia). Did she live in any other states? What were Ida's mother and fathers names?

Thanks!

I have to go to Court the 4th of September at 4 o'clock.
I sure wish I knew for sure they were going to let me have the kids back. I have a funny feeling about it. I don't think they are.

I have been watching for awhile and have some ideas and a suggestion.

In order to get old medical records from the now closed Ypsilanti State Hospital you need to file a request with the director of mental health in Lansing. They used to call that hospital, 'The Ypsilanti State Hospital For The Criminally Insane'. I mention that just to note that the attitude of the government in Michigan toward the mentally ill was, and is despicable. You would have to make an appointment to see the director to get records. You have to have verifiable proof that you are related to the (ex)patient and a very good reason in the eyes of the director for requesting the info. I know because I needed to do the same thing and have looked into it. I have not actually done it.

I'd like to present a possible scenario, and mind you it is only drawn from my own experience; To be so young and divorced with 3 small children back in the 50's/60's would have been very difficult. Divorce was taboo and a woman with no education supporting those children without any help would have been a monumental task and Michigan winters are cold. Finding dependable daycare alone is extremely difficult even now if you can't afford it. Then too, Ida had health issues. My own grandmother was left in somewhat the same situation in the 50's while my grandfather was in that very same hospital. She walked the streets with 4 children looking for work and a place to live. Welfare programs were not what they are today. The only job she could find was as a barmaid and then she was stigmatized for that. Her life was very hard.

Once Ida's children were taken by the state of Michigan Ida was bound to Michigan in every way if she wanted them back. Otherwise, she may have just taken them all and gone back to Florida where her family could have supported her. Now she had to answer to the State of Michigan and that system was fraught with problems then, and is still a mess even now. Once she had been involved in the state mental health system the courts would always look at her competency as a parent in that light.

I noted in one of her letters that she asks the question, or just as a thought, that she wished she knew if they were going to give her children back to her. It didn't sound to me as if she thought they would. If she knew they weren't would she be making other plans? I personally put my child in foster care when she was 6 months old because I was 19, unmarried, and uneducated. It was the recession of the early 1980's. I did it to try to find work and decide if keeping her would be the best thing for her. While she was in the foster home my phone rang day and night. My relatives were calling me and begging me not to give her up. I didn't have a moments peace and little time to think clearly as I had hoped to do while my child was away. I kept her eventually and still did not get the help the family promised.

I think it's quite possible that Ida made the choice to give up her children thinking they would have a better life. She may have struck a deal with the judge. Adoption can take a few years especially if they can't find the father to sign off on his parental rights. The judge may have withheld naming her competent until the adoption was sealed and the time to withdraw the decision was up. Ida may have felt tremendous shame over her decision and would likely have not wanted to face her family over it. If they were anything like my family she would have paid an extreme emotional price. Trying to do everything the state demands and living under that stress is enough to put you in the hospital. I was a foster parent for 2 years in Oakland County Michigan and I have seen from that perspective how the Michigan system works.

I found Ida's family of origin in the 1945 Florida state census, part of it anyway. The only people listed in the home with her last name were her and her siblings. Where were her parents? There were 12 people living in at that address and most of them were children. One 68 yr old woman, one 38 year old woman, neither of which had the last name Richardson. The Richardson children are all born one right after the other, ages 10, 9, 8, & 6. The other children at that address have different last names and are about the same ages as the Richardsons. Was this a foster home? Did Ida already know how tough life could be?

I believe she has married several times and that is why she can't be found. Since no real police report was filed she could have done many things. With little in the way of records back then she could have easily changed her identity.

To Dan and his family I'd like to say directly that attitudes change over the years and so do family stories and recollections of events. I am so glad that you and your siblings were reunited with your mothers family. If I were going to meet my long lost grandchildren for the first time in almost a lifetime I would probably tell the all the good things I could think of and leave out a lot of the bad. Family lore may offer ideas and make us feel better about some things but verifiable facts are probably going to lead to finding Ida.

Some of the details of Ida's story are fuzzy and I understand it's because Ida has been missing for so long. It would help here if we knew what was verified info and what is conjecture.

I wish you peace.

What a great post! Thank you so much

And a huge thank you to the rest of you too!! I haven't been here in months, so I apologize for not thanking you earlier.

Danny

Danny welcome back!

I did a search for Ida's with the same birth date/year, and came up with a three names--two from MI. Perhaps she did start over and remarried. I do not know if I am allow to post the names here, but if you go to peoplefinders.com, go to the advanced search, type in the first name Ida and the birthdate, you will come up with nine names. Some of those can be eliminated because they are obviously foreign. The names I found have the last names: Curuthers, Hunter, Miller, Potts, and Prokuputs. Potts has lived in Detroit. Another name Gorbachow, has also lived in Twining, MI. Did you have any more luck with Carol Moser?

When you established a relationship with Kenneth, what did he say he thought happened to Ida? I know you did not have good luck with local Ann Arbor LE in her missing case, but can you go to state police?

Jerry (Kenneth) said he didn't know what happened to Ida. I know he went looking for her in Michigan and Florida a handful of times over a few years after she disappeared. BTW, Jerry died a couple weeks before my sister last April.

I've checked the Potts and Gorbachow in the past, but I'll do so again.

Thanks for your post!!!!

Danny :)

PS

I have not had any luck with finding Carol Moser. Thought we might have found her, but it was someone with her name only. Still looking ....

BTW, the Michigan State Police Cold Case Unit has taken over Ida's case. With nothing new to go on here were are.

Just last night two detectives from the Nashville (TN) Cold Case Unit came and got a DNA sample from me to put into NaMUS and CODIS to match against Jane Does.

Danny- That is great that they took DNA and that Ida has a cold case investigator now...sometimes the cold case guys are able to put more time into a case. OK, so we need to find Carol Moser---something to work on!

PS: I saw your post in the D. Merryfield thread. I mentioned this to Missie a few mths ago but will talk to her about it again...thank you!

PSS: Can you let me know which Carol Moser you contacted that is not the right one? Thanks!

Did you ever contact the Ida Richardson who lives in Michigan? I have address and telephone listing from the mid 1990's. I also found a Carolyn I Richardson in Michigan...hmmm.

There is also a social security death listing for an Ida Anderson with a Mar 2, 1937 birthdate. This Ida died Feb 12, 2007 in Ohio. Her social was obtained in Ohio in 1956.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back