Found Deceased MI - Janet Rohrer, 13, Bay City, 26 Nov 1973

Sorry been a minute but was the man they arrested in December 2018 Dale Matuszewski or someone different?

Sorry been a minute, was the guy they arrested in December 2018 Dale Matuszewski or someone different?

That's what I was just trying to figure out. Dale Matuszewski was interviewed years ago and denied involvement. Then the more recent arrest, the person wasn't named but there are clues as to who that was.

This link was Updated Jan 29, 2019;Posted Dec 05, 2018
Police confirm an arrest was made this year in 1973 slaying of Bay City teen

BAY CITY, MI -- Nearly a half-century after a teen girl disappeared in Bay City's South End, only for her skeleton to be found a year later, police confirmed Wednesday they had made an arrest in the cold case.

However, the suspect was later released and has not been charged with a crime, police said.

"It's a complicated case; it goes back 45 years," Michigan State Police Special 1st Lt. David Kaiser said on Dec. 5, referring to the homicide of Jan Marie Rohrer, 13 when last seen alive in 1973. Kaiser added investigators received some new information a few months ago but he would not elaborate.

"We're working with the Bay County Prosecutor's Office to review the evidence and see if we can move the case forward," Kaiser said.

Bay County Prosecutor Nancy E. Borushko declined to comment on the matter, citing its status as an open investigation

Logs from the Saginaw County Jail indicate Michigan State Police troopers on April 19 arrested a 62-year-old man living in Michigan on a charge of open murder. Contacted by MLive the next day, Kaiser said the arrest was related to a cold case but did not go into additional details.

The man was released pending further investigation. As of Dec. 5, he has not been arraigned on any charges related to Jan's killing in either Bay or Saginaw County courts.

On Wednesday, Kaiser again declined to clarify if that arrest relates to the Rohrer case, though jail logs indicate no other suspects have been lodged related to the killing.

Records indicate the man would have been 17 when Jan disappeared.

MLive is not naming the man who was arrested as he has not been arraigned in court on any criminal charges.

Janet's case should more properly be listed in Websleuths' Cold Case section. Her skeletal remains were found and identified a year after she went missing.

Her murder, however, has remained unsolved for the past 46 years.

New developments in the case may finally solve the mystery of who murdered her.

LINK:

Who killed me? Janet Rohrer – Bay County Michigan | Already Gone Podcast – True Crime
Good question and Post #18 is questioning why the thread was moved from Cold Case to Missing Persons also.

When Websleuths first started up, all unsolved crimes were posted under "Cold Cases". A few years later, a reorganization of the site separated Missing Persons cases and Unidentified (John/Jane Doe) cases from the Cold Case section, giving them their own sections in the threads.

Also there have been times when a thread is discontinued for some reason and a new thread on the same subject started. Missing cases will get transferred to the "Located" section or Unidentified cases to "Identified" section when a resolution of the case occurs. Often, however, the resolution is only a partial one and the case now becomes an unsolved homicide. These cases sometimes (but not always) are added to the "Cold Case" section.

In regard to this case, I do not know why Janet Rohrer's case is listed in the "1970's Missing" thread. It should be transferred to "Cold Cases", but it takes a site moderator/administrator to do that.

Jan+Rohrer.JPG

Janet Roher, age 13, murdered 26 November 1973, Bay City, Michigan

BAY CITY (WJRT) (12/4/2018) - Police appear to be getting closer to solving the 1973 disappearance and murder of 13-year-old Jan Rohrer.

She vanished while walking to school on Nov. 26, 1973, and hunters found her body a year later in a marshy area of Saginaw County.

In the 45 years since, potential suspects have come and gone. Now, jail records indicate a man was arrested earlier this year in connection with the case.

He was released pending further investigation. While police are staying tight-lipped on the case, Jan's brother is hoping this mystery will finally be solved.

"We think about our sister a lot, but especially around Thanksgiving time, because this happened just after Thanksgiving back in 1973," Tom Rohrer said, who was in college when his sister was murdered.

Earlier reports indicated Jan had been assaulted and shot. Police have had suspects, but there was never an arrest.

"Some of them who themselves said they were involved in my sister's murder and abduction, but that turned out to be just some boasting by petty criminals in the area," Rohrer said.

Saginaw County jail records show on April 19, a 62-year-old man from the Lansing area was booked on an open murder charge but released pending further investigation. The arrest was in connection with Jan Rohrer's case.

Tom Rohrer believes this suspect could be the one.

"This time we are a little more confident because it's a new person who hadn't been looked at before and the information I have about the new suspect makes a lot of sense when I think about it," he said.

The Michigan State Police and the Bay City Police Department continue to investigate, but do not want to disclose any more information about the suspect and why he was arrested.

"We are working with the prosecutor's office to see if there is enough evidence to move this case forward," said Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser.

That's what Tom Rohrer has been hoping for, for more than four and a half decades.

"My brother and I and the rest of our family have been working for 45 years to bring the perpetrator to justice and I hope that this time something will come of it," he said.

The Bay City Police Department and Bay County Prosecutor's Office could not be reached for comment...

LINK:

Cold case solved? Bay County investigators zero in on 1973 murder suspect

Last edited:
From a 2012 article:

BAY CITY, MI -- In the same way time and a lack of evidence has turned the 1973 slaying of a Bay City teenager into a cold case, Dale Matuszewski holds slim hope that investigators will solve the 40-year-old killing of his mother, who lived next door to the girl.

Matuszewski, 62, of Bay City, says he's disappointed by how the slaying of his mother, Florence "Flossy" Matuszewski, hasn't received the same public attention as the disappearance and death of 13-year-old Jan Marie Rohrer, their one-time neighbor on Fremont Avenue.

The body of Florence Matuszewski, 46, was found in a ditch near Lincoln and Russell roads in Portsmouth Township on Aug. 29, 1972, 15 months before Jan disappeared on Nov. 26, 1973. Police said Florence Matuszewski was bludgeoned and appeared to have drowned in the ditch. No one was ever charged in the case.

Dale Matuszewski, the only one of her three sons still living, feels he knows what led up to his mother's death.

"She was at a bar on Washington with my aunts and uncles. Something happened where they got in an argument and my mom walked home. She was on her way home, walking, and never made it," he said.

Dale Matuszewski, then 23, was still living at home at the time, along with his grandmother. He said he was angered by the news of his mom's slaying.

"I wanted to kill the person when I found out about it; I would be in prison right now."

He said he was close to his mother and still wants to know who killed her. But he isn't getting his hopes up...

... "What (investigators) told me was, whoever killed my mother is probably all deceased by now, so they've given up on it for now," he said. "I don't know if there's anyone alive anymore that even knew my mom."

Jan Rohrer's remains were found nearly a year after her disappearance, in a ditch on the Crow Island Game Area on Nov. 7, 1974. She had been shot in the torso and her face bludgeoned, police said.

Dale Matuszewski said investigators questioned him several years ago as to his knowledge about the Rohrer case.

"They asked me if I knew anybody who had any involvement in it, and I told them 'No,'" he said. "I never heard anything about it. I remember going to work and, when I got home, I remember her mom standing on the porch. She asked me when I got out of the car, 'Have you seen Jan today?' I said, 'No.' That's the only thing I can recollect."

Matuszewski said he hung out with Jan's older brothers when they were teens, but that he didn't really know Jan, who was much younger.

He doesn't feel the slayings of his mother and Jan are related, but he thinks it was a good thing for investigators to have reopened Jan's case several years ago...

LINK:

Little Girl Lost: Bay City man seeks justice for mother's unsolved slaying and says he was questioned in 13-year-old's disappearance

Last edited:
Why was this moved from Cold Cases to Missing Persons?

Janet's case should more properly be listed in Websleuths' Cold Case section. Her skeletal remains were found and identified a year after she went missing.

Her murder, however, has remained unsolved for the past 46 years.

New developments in the case may finally solve the mystery of who murdered her.

LINK:

Who killed me? Janet Rohrer – Bay County Michigan | Already Gone Podcast – True Crime

Good question and Post #18 is questioning why the thread was moved from Cold Case to Missing Persons also.

When Websleuths first started up, all unsolved crimes were posted under "Cold Cases". A few years later, a reorganization of the site separated Missing Persons cases and Unidentified (John/Jane Doe) cases from the Cold Case section, giving them their own sections in the threads.

Also there have been times when a thread is discontinued for some reason and a new thread on the same subject started. Missing cases will get transferred to the "Located" section or Unidentified cases to "Identified" section when a resolution of the case occurs. Often, however, the resolution is only a partial one and the case now becomes an unsolved homicide. These cases sometimes (but not always) are added to the "Cold Case" section.

In regard to this case, I do not know why Janet Rohrer's case is listed in the "1970's Missing" thread. It should be transferred to "Cold Cases", but it takes a site moderator/administrator to do that.
Janet's thread has been moved to the "Cold Cases" forum. Sorry for the delay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back