Deceased/Not Found MI - Jozlynn Martinez, 2, Grand Rapids, 24 Feb 2010

Police say mother of missing Grand Rapids 2-year-old is 'witness' not suspect

Police today refuted Consuela Martinez's statements that she's a target in the investigation surrounding the disappearance of her 2-year-old daughter Jozlynn. "We consider her a witness at this time," Grand Rapids police Capt. Jeff Hertel said. "She came down here (the police station) voluntarily and left on her own.

"She cooperated for many hours and answered our questions. I think she's had, everybody's had, a long morning and is tired."

Martinez said this morning that she was questioned by investigators for nearly 12 hours.

"They're basically accusing me of doing it," Martinez said. "They said it had to be somebody close to her, but I didn't have nothing to do with it.

"I want my little girl back. I feel like they think I did it."

Martinez, 21, has not been charged with any offense.

[snip]

Consuela Martinez said police have taken her 7-month-old son, Brian, into child protective services custody. She is currently in a court hearing to determine if the child will stay in state custody.

The boy is Malmberg's child, but Jozlynn's father is John Mark Rittenhouse, 26. Efforts to reach Rittenhouse have been unsuccessful.

More: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/police_say_mother_of_missing_g.html

BBM, and what exactly is the "it" she thinks she is being accused of?
Whether she is involved or not, she sure is making herself sound guilty. The way she is wording things, it's reminiscent of people speaking in past tense of persons who are missing, IMO. HINKY.

So where is Bio dad in all of this?? Does he even have parial custody?

The best outcome I can think of right now is that the father of Jozlynn has her. Maybe got fed up with DFS and took her out of there......not likely, but better than many other alternatives...

Amster, This part of this report makes me wonder if you might be dead on with your theory.

Snipped for space:

The boy is Malmberg's child, but Jozlynn's father is John Mark Rittenhouse, 26. Efforts to reach Rittenhouse have been unsuccessful.

More: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/police_say_mother_of_missing_g.html

while i agree a 100 percent, i've got the sinking feeling mom is a lot more involved thenn just putting her in harms way.

I agree 100%. Somethings just not right with this story.

Mom: 'I don't know if daughter is dead'

The mother of Jozlynn Mari Martinez met with police twice Thursday to discuss her missing 2-year-old daughter.

At around 4:30 p.m., she and another family member left her home with two Grand Rapids officers for a second meeting. She was not in handcuffs.

Consuela Martinez has not seen her daughter since 11 p.m. Monday. The 21-year-old Grand Rapids mother is desperate -- and looking for answers.

So are police.

[snip]

"I don't know if she's dead," Martinez said. "I don't know if she's just hurt a little bit."

Officers have spent an extended amount of time with Martinez.

She has not been arrested or threatened with arrest, she said.

Asked 24 Hour News 8: "Do you understand why police were so tough on you?"

Said Martinez: "They said because it was somebody close had gotten to her."

More: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Mom-I-dont-know-if-daughter-is-dead

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1373118-bottom-old.html

February 25, 2010 5:31 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – The Amber Alert continues as police search for a missing toddler.

Two-year-old Jozlynn Martinez was last seen in her bed on Monday night.

The man accused of taking her, 40-year-old Jeffrey Malmberg, was arrested Wednesday night in Lansing, but the girl was not found and the investigation stretches beyond him.

Unfortunately there is no good news yet, but Newschannel 3 learned from police on Thursday that there is one suspect and only one suspect in the case, that is the man believed to have kidnapped her.

Search continues for missing two year old

[snip]

Unfortunately there is no good news yet, but Newschannel 3 learned from police on Thursday that there is one suspect and only one suspect in the case, that is the man believed to have kidnapped her.

[snip]

Jozlynn's mother, Consuela Martinez, hasn't slept in days, partially because she is broken hearted about where her little girl is, and partially because she was questioned by police for about ten hours overnight to clear up her story.

“I told them exactly what I knew,” said Consuela, “I stuck to my story. They still tried, they finally let us, they finally cleared us.”

Late Thursday afternoon, police cleared Consuela as a suspect, saying she is just a witness. Now fingers are pointed directly at the man believed to have taken the girl out of the house, Jeffrey Malmberg, a man with a criminal history, and a man Jozlynn's family members say could be capable of murder.

More: http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1373118-bottom-old.html

A man sought for his possible connection to the case of a missing Grand Rapids toddler is located in Lansing. The girl, 2-year old Jozlynn Martinez, has still not been found.

The mother of the 2-year-old, Consuela Martinez, tells Grand Rapids Police that she last saw her daughter at her Grand Rapids home with her live-in boyfriend, Jeffrey Malmberg, at around 11:30PM Monday. She told police that when she awoke Malmberg and Jozlynn were not home, and that $2,800 was missing from her purse. The mother told police that Malmberg often took the child with him when he ran morning errands, but she became concerned when Malmberg did not return, and she could not locate him or the child with family or friends.

On Wednesday evening, acting on a tip, Michigan State Police located Jeffrey Malmberg, 40, at a pool hall in the 1600 block of South Washington Avenue in Lansing. He was taken into custody without incident and brought to Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids Police tell WOOD-TV that Malmberg is cooperating with investigators and denies any involvement in the child's disappearance. He was scheduled to be arraigned on kidnapping and larceny charges Thursday, but that has been rescheduled for Friday morning.

The missing girl's mother was taken into police custody for questioning late Wednesday night, but is no longer being questioned by police. She denies any involvement in the disappearance of the child.

An Amber Alert is still in effect for Jozlynn Martinez. She is a Hispanic girl, about 2' 9" tall, weighing approximately 22pounds, brown eyes, brown hair and a scab on her chin. She also has a spot on the right side of her head where hair is not growing. Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call 9-1-1 or the Grand Rapids Police Department at 616-456-3604.

Lansing police tell New 10 they are unaware of an active search for the girl in Lansing, although their officers are on the lookout, as per the Amber Alert.

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/85399687.html

I wonder why no active search in Lansing? They should leave NO stone unturned, IMO. The man suspected of abducting the child was located in Lansing, why no search? Maybe they have some information they're not sharing with us?

It is odd to me that the mother uses the words "I stuck to my story" and I also find it weird that if the BF did do somthing sinister to that poor little that he would have hung out in Lansing at a pool hall instead of booking it out of town with his cash and his guilty conscious.

Good points, mtrooper.

But apparently he used some of the money he stole to "buy new clothes and change his appearance". Looks like he didn't do a very good job if someone still recognized him.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/mother_of_missing_grand_rapids.html

Mother of missing Grand Rapids 2-year-old to appear in court for abuse and neglect hearing
By Nate Reens | The Grand Rapids Press
February 25, 2010, 2:27PM
Mark Copier | The Grand Rapids

GRAND RAPIDS -- Consuela Martinez, the mother of missing toddler Jozlynn Martinez, is set to appear in Kent County Family Court this afternoon for an abuse and neglect hearing that led to authorities taking her 7-month-old son into protective custody.

Mother of missing Grand Rapids girl after court hearing, police questioning: 'At least give me a little bit of hope'

[snip]

She said she is begging police for answers.

"At least give me a little bit of hope that Jozlynn might still be alive," a distressed Martinez said.

[snip]

Police Capt. Jeff Hertel said authorities are working on the premise that Jozlynn is alive and well.

"We have nothing to indicate or to say she's not," Hertel said. "We're not naive enough to believe that it's not possible something has happened, but we're hoping she's somewhere safe and with someone who, for some reason, hasn't called to let us know yet."

[snip]

At the courthouse Thursday, Martinez speculated that Malmberg, the father of her 7-month-old, took the girl because he was upset Martinez wanted him to leave the home, and she had voiced concerns to him about finding bruises on Jozlynn.

"I don't know if he took her to keep her safe or prove me wrong," she said. "Everybody thinks he has her hidden somewhere with somebody, or he's done something to her."

Much much more: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/mother_of_missing_grand_rapids_1.html

I really, really want to know why Jozlynns daddy isn't out there pleading for her return.

Also, we now find out the fight between mom and her prince was partially over bruises found on Jozlynn? Makes me sick...

How come mom's story is changing now? Now the fight was over the 'ex' leaving marks on the daughter. Imo she is saying that to cover her butt, were there marks on the baby too? Is she trying to blame everything on the BF so that she can have that baby back? ... I dont know something just DOESNT sound OR LOOK right to me.

What about those dogs? Were there not dogs earlier? I want to know why they have nothing about them yet.

Very confusing ...
I hope she is found safe but the longer this is taking .. and the more the story changes.. the more I wonder about the mom.

(MOO)

o my gosh!~

I hope she is found safe, I dont think she will be, and the mother seems so different in all the tapes I see. 1st one she is crying like crazy looking at the photos, but its seems fake to me (MOO) and then the next one she seems to have no emotion at all when she said that it didn't look good for her daughter.
I personally.. if my child was missing wouldn't doubt for a minute that I would be in such shock I would be close to unable to talk. She is talking A LOT! seems weird.. moo of course.

With all due respect, I think you may be getting the order in which the videos were recorded mixed up. The one where she is calm was recorded earlier in the day, before Malmberg was located. The video where she is crying and distraught is from the late night news, after Malmberg was located and without Jozlynn. I think she was more calm in the first one because she was still thinking that Malmberg was only playing games with her and that Jozlynn would be returned safely. In the video where she is crying and clearly distraught is after he's been found and she is realizing that it's more than "just a game" and her baby is really gone.

I'm not saying she wasn't negligent, she definitely was IMO, but I really don't feel like this mother did anything to her baby. I could be wrong, but it's just what I gather from the situation. I think she may be young and naive, but I get the feeling that she really loves and is worried about her child.

What bothers me, why haven't we heard anything from Jozlynn's Dad? Where's he? His daughter is missing and he is "unreachable"? That is what is hinky, IMO. He cared enough to report Consuela to DHS, if the information is correct. WHERE is he NOW?

JMO

With all due respect, I think you may be getting the order in which the videos were recorded mixed up. The one where she is calm was recorded earlier in the day, before Malmberg was located. The video where she is crying and distraught is from the late night news, after Malmberg was located and without Jozlynn. I think she was more calm in the first one because she was still thinking that Malmberg was only playing games with her and that Jozlynn would be returned safely. In the video where she is crying and clearly distraught is after he's been found and she is realizing that it's more than "just a game" and her baby is really gone.

I'm not saying she wasn't negligent, but I really don't feel like this mother did anything to her baby. I could be wrong, but it's just what I gather from the situation. I think she may be young and naive, but I get the feeling that she really loves and is worried about her child.

What bothers me, why haven't we heard anything from Jozlynn's Dad? Where's he? His daughter is missing and he is "unreachable"? That is what is hinky, IMO. He cared enough to report to DHS, right? WHERE is he NOW?

JMO

Thank you .. maybe. But I still feel mom is up to something weird. I could be wrong I dont know but now her story changes.. and You may be right she is young. Interesting the dad is unreachable? I didn't see that anywhere. I just haven't seen anything about him at all... but I would suppose they would look into that.

My husband just came up with a theory. What was Malmberg's relationship like with the father of Jozlynn? Is it possible that Mr. Rittenhouse, Jozlynn's father, paid Malmberg to bring Jozlynn to him? Or paid him to gain access to her? Just a thought.

I typed in the name of Jozlynn's bio dad into myspace just to see what I could find and found one in Arizona..then I typed in the name of Jozlynn's mom and found a 21 yr old in grand rapids with the first friend being the man out in Arizona..FWIW

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happyspirit42
Back