MI MI - Kellie Brownlee, 17, Novi, 20 May 1982

I know Paul Brownlee passed away. Not sure when.
I was a friend of Kellie's. She told me her mother refused to believe she was being abused by the stepfather, which is apparently a common reaction. I believe she stayed married to him, even after Kellie disappeared, and it was proven that he indeed was molesting her, and another family member earlier. She still stayed married to him. Assuming for financial reasons, because I can't imagine any other reason to stay with such a sick pervert.

JulianaMoon,
Thank you so much for posting! I also have wondered about the stepfather. What you said reminded me of another case where the teen missing was thought to have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of her stepfather-Rachel Marie Mellon Skemp. Her mother also stayed married to the guy, and it is thought he is responsible, but authorities have no proof:/

I pray Kellie will have closure, as well as all who love her, she is so beautiful, she looks like model!

I've always assumed the stepfather was responsible for Kellie's disappearance, due to his strange behavior and treatment of his stepdaughters.

If he's not involved, I wonder what Leslie Allen Williams was doing and where he was at the time Kellie went missing.

Williams is a serial killer who at different times lived about 2 miles from Kellie's high school and in apartments across the street from her high school. The Twelve Oaks Mall, where Kellie was last seen, would be the main mall that served that area, and still does, so he has probably been there.

Michigan's offender tracking is called OTIS. I don't think a direct link to his page will work but perhaps the main link will. If not you can google Michigan Offender Search OTIS to get to the site and enter his name there to see his rap sheet: http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/otis2/otis2.html

It looks like Williams' adult offences (don't know about a juvenile record) begin in 1971, when he was about 18 years old, for B&E. He served about 4 years and has been in and out of prison up until he was caught for several murders in the 90s. His offences escalate through the years: B&E, felonious assault with a dangerous weapon, 1st degree criminal sexual conduct (in the mid 1970s when he was 22), up until the multiple kidnapping, rapes, and murders in 1991/1992.

He was released in September of 1980, reoffended, and was given another custodial sentence in September of 1983. Kellie went missing May 20, 1982, right in the middle of the time that this convicted rapist he was free, and possibly back in the area.

I do know that at one point he lived with his grandparents in Commerce Township (at a location that had a Walled Lake mailing address) the place that was a couple miles from Kellie's school. Sometime near the 90s murders, he lived at an apartment complex in Wixom across the street from Kellie's school. In 1992 he lived in Redford, which was 20 miles from his usual location.

I don't know exactly where Kellie lived when she went missing, other than the general locations of West Bloomfield and her boyfriend's home in Walled Lake. But I kind of thought it was worth looking into whether Williams was involved, since she went missing during one of the times he was free, and he was a life long habitual offender who escalated to murder.

What I remember of Williams' crimes was that in the Central Park in Milford, he tied up a 15 year old girl's boyfriend and abducted her. He took her back to his apartment in Redford where he raped and stabbed her. He drove her to a field in Milford and buried her. He raped an 18 year old acquaintance of his in the South Lyon area, and when she threatened to tell, he killed her and buried her in Milford. He went up to Gennessee County and raped and killed two sisters, about ages 14 and 16. He buried them in a cemetery there. Their bodies were later covered even further, by cemetery workers. Williams had to take police to the area to find them because of that.

There is a very large cemetery right across the street from Twelve Oaks Mall.

I know that Cemetary!! i have been there. It is directly across the street. That area has grown so much since then that if she was buried anywhere but an unused part of the cemetary, she likely would have been found already. I grew up near Kelly. Know the area well. Back then it was very rural. Now, it is a typical concrete shopping headache, with strip malls everywhere. Milford is still pretty rural though. Hmmmmm....interesting. I still believe her father did it, but this is very interesting news. having lived in the area at that time, I am surprised I didn't hear about these crimes. Thankyou!!!

You're welcome Juliana. :)

I moved to Commerce Township in 1991, within walking distance of North Vanstone (off of Benstein Road) where Williams lived with his grandparents. My kids took their swimming lessons at Kellie's high school. I used to work in Walled Lake. Some of my cousins live in Wixom and one just graduated from WL Western this year. The area certainly has changed in the last 20+ years, tho, just like you described.

We had moved from a much busier small city and felt that we had sort of moved out to the country. It was kind of shocking for the Williams crimes to happen right when we thought we'd moved out of a somewhat dangerous area into a much safer area, so I tried to follow those cases as they were happening. We saw the police sketch of Williams in a subway or tubbys sub shop in the strip mall that was right by the apartments he used to live in (across from Kellie's school). I don't know if the police knew how close they were when they had the restaurant put the sketch in their shop.

I moved to Milford in 2002. I loved that town and miss it but we had to relocate for my husband's new job. I've moved a lot and Milford was my favorite place to live. However every time I went to Central Park, I remembered the Williams' victim Cynthia (and the two young girls who were murdered there by drifters in the mid 90s).

I didn't learn that Kellie was missing until we got the internet and sites like doenetwork and charley project came along. I found it interesting because she's from my generation and I felt that I had been walking in her foot steps of the previous decade by living in the same area, going to the same places, shopping at the mall she went missing from, going to activities at her school. I hope she'll be found and her case solved.

I've always assumed the stepfather was responsible for Kellie's disappearance, due to his strange behavior and treatment of his stepdaughters.

If he's not involved, I wonder what Leslie Allen Williams was doing and where he was at the time Kellie went missing.

Williams is a serial killer who at different times lived about 2 miles from Kellie's high school and in apartments across the street from her high school. The Twelve Oaks Mall, where Kellie was last seen, would be the main mall that served that area, and still does, so he has probably been there.

Michigan's offender tracking is called OTIS. I don't think a direct link to his page will work but perhaps the main link will. If not you can google Michigan Offender Search OTIS to get to the site and enter his name there to see his rap sheet: http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/otis2/otis2.html

It looks like Williams' adult offences (don't know about a juvenile record) begin in 1971, when he was about 18 years old, for B&E. He served about 4 years and has been in and out of prison up until he was caught for several murders in the 90s. His offences escalate through the years: B&E, felonious assault with a dangerous weapon, 1st degree criminal sexual conduct (in the mid 1970s when he was 22), up until the multiple kidnapping, rapes, and murders in 1991/1992.

He was released in September of 1980, reoffended, and was given another custodial sentence in September of 1983. Kellie went missing May 20, 1982, right in the middle of the time that this convicted rapist he was free, and possibly back in the area.

I do know that at one point he lived with his grandparents in Commerce Township (at a location that had a Walled Lake mailing address) the place that was a couple miles from Kellie's school. Sometime near the 90s murders, he lived at an apartment complex in Wixom across the street from Kellie's school. In 1992 he lived in Redford, which was 20 miles from his usual location.

I don't know exactly where Kellie lived when she went missing, other than the general locations of West Bloomfield and her boyfriend's home in Walled Lake. But I kind of thought it was worth looking into whether Williams was involved, since she went missing during one of the times he was free, and he was a life long habitual offender who escalated to murder.

What I remember of Williams' crimes was that in the Central Park in Milford, he tied up a 15 year old girl's boyfriend and abducted her. He took her back to his apartment in Redford where he raped and stabbed her. He drove her to a field in Milford and buried her. He raped an 18 year old acquaintance of his in the South Lyon area, and when she threatened to tell, he killed her and buried her in Milford. He went up to Gennessee County and raped and killed two sisters, about ages 14 and 16. He buried them in a cemetery there. Their bodies were later covered even further, by cemetery workers. Williams had to take police to the area to find them because of that.

There is a very large cemetery right across the street from Twelve Oaks Mall.

:bump:

Thanks for bumping this case Margarita!

Re-reading my posts..... for those not familiar, all the towns I name in my posts: Wixom, Commerce Township, Walled Lake, Milford, South Lyon, West Bloomfield, Novi etc, all border each other. It's all the same area.

Kellie's high school was in Wixom, but it serves students in Walled Lake and Commerce Township too, as far as I can recall. Back when she went missing, it could have also served students in parts of Novi and some West Bloomfield areas, but I'm not sure. (The district has built a couple new high schools since then.)

Now, it's all part of a consolidated school district that serves most of those towns plus White Lake, some of Farmington Hills.... I'd have to look into it. It served a 50 sq mile area back when I last checked several years ago.

Thankyou TracyLynnS. Like I said, I grew up in that area. She went to Our Lady of Mercy High School in Farmington Hills. The last time I saw her she was still living at home and going to school there. I know she got in trouble for spray painting the school, you know kids, and was suspended. I moved to Texas for a few years and during that time my father called me to tell me she was missing. I was so sure that she may have run off, as her father abused her and only a handful of us, if that, knew about it. So, I figured she had had enough and took off. When I moved back to Michigan, I watched a segment on "P.M. Magazine" about her disappearance. They had a psychic come out and walk around the house. She said that "something very bad had happened in this house for a long time, and that she needed to discuss it privately with family members". My friend, who was very close to Kelly as well, and I looked at each other and said "her dads abuse". Nothing ever came of that. I wish I could get access to that episode of PM Magazine from spring/summer of 1983.

It is most probable that the step father may have picked her up from the mall and killed her. However, I believe Christopher Wilder was in the area trying to lure girls to be models and taking pictures of them and then killing them. I think one of those two did it. I would bet on the stepfather most of all though. I also think the stepfather killed Rachel Mellon Skemp, and cannot believe that they are unable to prove that, I mean how does a sick kick disappear from their own home in the middle of winter when he was the only person there with her??????

It is most probable that the step father may have picked her up from the mall and killed her. However, I believe Christopher Wilder was in the area trying to lure girls to be models and taking pictures of them and then killing them. I think one of those two did it. I would bet on the stepfather most of all though. I also think the stepfather killed Rachel Mellon Skemp, and cannot believe that they are unable to prove that, I mean how does a sick kick disappear from their own home in the middle of winter when he was the only person there with her??????

Mistagee,
I swear you literally read my mind! Rachel's case reminds me so much of Kellie's. It's most likely we are correct about who did it, but without a confession or their remains, they may walk free as they have been for years. In Rachel's case, nothing can convince me her stepfather is innocent. I don't believe the "walking the dog in below zero weather" story one bit & the whole thing with no forced entry & her blanket & items missing from the room was also weird. Why would Rachel go out in below zero weather without her jacket or shoes on?? And after her journal entry about the sexual abuse was made known...that was the nail in the coffin for me. As for Kellie's, at first glance I thought someone like WIlder may have been responsible. After all, she looks like a model and is so beautiful. After hearing more details with her stepfather, I am also becoming convinced her fate may have been the same as Rachel's. I want some JUSTICE for BOTH these girls!!!

She went to Our Lady of Mercy High School in Farmington Hills.

RSBM

Do you know why and when she left Mercy and started attending Walled Lake Western? Was it over the spray painting suspension? Or did she switch schools when she moved in with her boyfriend?

I got the impression that she and her boyfriend had attended WLW together for a long time but charley and doenetwork don't have her school info.

ETA: Was afraid I'd been sharing wrong info but this site says she attended WLW at the time of her disappearance: http://www.policeone.com/investigations/articles/44540-The-disappearance-of-Kellie-Brownlee/

The Detroit News (WALLED LAKE) -- Have you seen Kellie Brownlee? It was 9 p.m., and Kellie was supposed to be at Mark Graves' house. She'd skipped school that Thursday morning in May, trying to beat out the college kids for the best summer job. But she promised to meet her boyfriend Mark later. That was hours ago. It was getting late. Kellie hadn't arrived. And Kellie hadn't called. Kellie always called.

Mark called one friend and then another. But nobody had seen the 17-year-old with the dark eyes, mischievous smile, and dark, Farrah Fawcett-style hair since she left Walled Lake Western High School at 9 a.m. Kellie didn't have a car. Kellie always hitched. By 11 p.m., her friends decided to call Kellie's mom, Loretta.

Things weren't going so well for Kellie at home, so she had been staying with Mark's family. But Kellie always told Loretta what she was up to. Maybe Loretta knew where Kellie was. Carrie made the call. Carrie knew Kellie the longest. "Mrs. Brownlee? This is Carrie. Have you seen Kellie?" "Not for a while," Loretta replied.

"Kellie's ... missing." The word still rings in Loretta's head. Missing. "It was just the way she said it," Loretta said. "I knew right away something was wrong. I just had no idea that years later, I'd still be talking about it."

At least one suspect has remained on the list since the beginning. And one cop won't let it go. This much West Bloomfield police Sgt. Dan O'Malley believes: Kellie's kidnap was not random.

Hi Again,
I have no idea why she left Mercy. We were sitting in my family room when I was home on a visit from TX, or maybe I hadn't even moved there yet. I think it had been in the paper back then that someone spray painted OLMH, (Our Lady of Mercy High), but I don't think it named names. We were sitting downstairs in the family room talking about it, and she said she got suspended for it. Mercy High was weird. I got thrown out when I went there for repeatedly not wearing my uniform so maybe they eventually expelled her. I'll ask a friend of mine I keep in touch with through FB. She and Kelly were close also. I'll try and find out. You might be able to look it up in the newspaper archives about OLMH being spray painted. Maybe in the Farmington Observer/Eccentric or it might have been in the Detroit Free press or News. (We got both).

Just bumping her case. Haven't heard any updates in a long time, such a sad story. Just one clue could find her. Any updates you can find guys?

Was just thinking of this Tuesday.
Driving through the area on a way to a concert we were seeing.

Kellie's stepfather is deceased (according to the link below), so there's no information to be had from him at this point. If he had abused her in the past, he probably had a motive—i.e., to shut her up—but motive alone isn't proof of anything. Is there additional evidence against him?

http://www.delayedjustice.com/?p=673

I checked the Novi News issues in May of 1982 (she was last seen in Novi and lived in a neighboring community) there wasn't a single thing posted about her disappearance. :(

Kellie had a front tooth that was discolored on the bottom. It was very visible when she smiled. You might even be able to see it in her picture. It was a yellowish brown color. I am sure her family could verify that. I miss my friend. All of us from the neighborhood do. Kellie, tell us where you are. :kickcan:
We used to play "kick the can" so I hope my emogee shows. Kellie, it is for you, wherever you are. We miss you and love you so much. Tracy, Steve, Kristin, Marnie, Nancy, Christopher, Mary, Scott. We miss you so much.

Kellie's stepfather is deceased (according to the link below), so there's no information to be had from him at this point. If he had abused her in the past, he probably had a motive—i.e., to shut her up—but motive alone isn't proof of anything. Is there additional evidence against him?

http://www.delayedjustice.com/?p=673
Absolutely believe it was her stepfather

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There was a vocational school in Walled Lake that all the Farmington Hills school students went to. I never took a class there, so I don't know exactly where it was.

What did Paul do for a living? The reason I ask is because my ex husband was a butcher. He was physically abusive and threatened if I ever left him, he would kill me, cut me in pieces, take me to the arab grocery store he worked at in Detroit, grind me, wrap me, price me, and sell me. He is now in prison for burning half of Detroit down for insurance money. We divorced many many years ago, and I had to go into hiding.
That said, did Paul have a job where he could have disposed of a body by doing something like using a woodchipper, chemicals, or similar?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back