MI MI - MILLER, Donald Eugene, Serial Killer, East Lansing, Michigan 1976

From New Years Eve 1976 through the summer of 1977 Donald Eugene Miller terrorized the college community of East Lansing and the surrounding communities. While he was never charged with murder, only manslaughter, he is responsible for the deaths of four women and assaults on two children...

Sue Young, the mother of his first victim wrote a book about her experiences. Lethal Friendship: A mother’s battle to put -and keep- a serial killer behind bars.

Miller’s first victim, Martha Sue Young.

LINK:
Already Gone Podcast – True Crime | Stories of the missing, the murdered, the mysterious and the lost. | Page 3

East Lansing serial killer Donald Miller denied parole for the ninth time

By: Larry Wallace
Jun 11, 2021

EAST LANSING, Mich. — East Lansing Serial Killer Don Miller, 66, was denied parole for the ninth time, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections.

Miller went in front of the state’s Parole Board in April. While it typically takes the board 30 days to review each case, it took two months for the state to come to a decision about Miller’s case.

In the late 1970’s Miller was arrested for raping a 14-year-old girl and assaulting her brother. While serving time for that crime, Miller admitted to killing four women, including his finance.

He was charged with manslaughter, in exchange for helping police locate the bodies of three of the women.

Back in February, another woman reported to Michigan State Police that she was assaulted by Miller. State police are investigating the incident and releasing very few details.

Miller is expected to be released in 2031 when he is 75...

LINK:

https://www.fox47news.com/neighborh...onald-miller-denied-parole-for-the-ninth-time

Don Miller, 66, was denied parole? Well, that's good news.

Ya, go figure. And it took the Parole Board two whole months to make their decision. Two minutes should have been enough for them.

I'll bet the wait and suspense had old Don on pins and needles. He was so looking forward to getting on with his life - playing his trombone, going for long walks on the beach, and killing women. Oh well, maybe next time...

Oh my gosh! My husband knows him. He was in my husband's housing unit at the Cotton Facility prison. He knows what they did to keep him in longer. Planted a shank.

Oh my gosh! My husband knows him. He was in my husband's housing unit at the Cotton Facility prison. He knows what they did to keep him in longer. Planted a shank.

I think you mean a "shiv" which means an improvised knife or stabbing item.

The term "shank" means to stab someone (usually with a shiv).

If I recall correctly, the actual device that was found in in Miller's cell was a string or rope with buttons attached to the ends - a sort of home made Garotte (strangling) device. Miller claimed that it was planted, but has been known to lie in the past.

Regardless of the specifics, he is a cold blooded serial killer and should be kept in prison for his full sentence. Letting him out would be a mistake.

I think you mean a "shiv" which means an improvised knife or stabbing item.

The term "shank" means to stab someone (usually with a shiv).

If I recall correctly, the actual device that was found in in Miller's cell was a string or rope with buttons attached to the ends - a sort of home made Garotte (strangling) device. Miller claimed that it was planted, but has been known to lie in the past.

Regardless of the specifics, he is a cold blooded serial killer and should be kept in prison for his full sentence. Letting him out would be a mistake.

Thanks, been so long I am forgetting the details.

It was planted, my husband who used to work in that prison remembers it.

They were desperate to keep him behind bars.

0c5a6218-a443-492d-aa5a-f9e465bea9b6.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Don Miller, an East Lansing serial killer, has been denied parole nine times. Photo via Michigan Department of Corrections

... Miller admitted in July 1979 to killing four women in East Lansing between Jan. 1, 1977 and Aug. 14, 1978. He was arrested on Aug. 16, 1978 after he sexually assaulted 14-year-old Lisa Gilbert and attempted to kill her and her brother Randy Gilbert, who was 13 at the time.

Miller was convicted in the case involving the Gilberts and sentenced to 30 to 50 years in May 1979...

... In July 1979, Miller agreed to a plea deal with prosecutors. He led police to the bodies of two of his victims — Martha Sue Young and Kristine Stuart — and he was allowed to plead guilty to reduced charges of manslaughter, which carried 10-15 year sentences.

A couple days after leading police to Young and Stewart, Miller admitted to killing Wendy Bush and Marita Choquette. He led police to Bush’s body; Choquette’s body had been found about two weeks after her disappearance in June 1978.

Miller was not charged with Bush or Choquette’s death.

In 1998, Miller was convicted of possessing a weapon while in prison after prosecutors alleged a shoelace with buttons was a garrote, or strangling device. Miller maintained it was a drawstring for his coat.

The conviction tacked on another 20 to 40 years to his sentence.

LINKS:

State denies parole for serial killer Don Miller

Don Miller, East Lansing serial killer, up for parole, ELPD not in favor

East Lansing serial killer up for parole

Last edited:
... We know of four women who died at the hands of Don Miller, starting with his former fiancée, Martha Sue Young. She was 19. His other victims, Marita Choquette, Wendy Bush and Kristine Stuart, ranged in age from 21 to 30.

Choquette worked at WKAR-TV. Bob Page was station manager at the time. "Everybody was not only surprised, but shocked that one of our own staff members could possibly have been a victim of such a heinous crime, but there was nothing much we could do other than grieve, collectively and individually.”

In the summer of 1978, Miller was caught by police shortly after raping and attempting to kill a 14-year-old girl, and trying to murder her brother...

In Killing Women, author Rod Sadler takes a deep dive into the Miller case. Sadler, a retired Eaton County Sheriff’s Department sergeant, goes into the exhaustive detail you might expect from a cop. He has pored over police station interviews and court transcripts, and he’s done extensive interviews with prosecutors and family members of victims.

Sadler has struck up a friendship with Miller’s father, Gene, who reportedly thinks his son has been rehabilitated in prison. Gene Miller convinced his son to write letters to Sadler about the case. Sadler says he took the first brief letter he got from Miller with a grain of salt. “I thought well, it’s promising, but I’ll wait and see if it actually happens," Sadler explains. "And then, believe it or not, a couple weeks later, I did get a second letter from him, a very detailed letter, two pages, hand-written, about what went on when he killed Martha Sue Young and the three other women.”...

... Miller confesses to taking three more lives in this correspondence, though he fails to mention the rape and two other attempted murders. These letters are included in Killing Women.

Through the Michigan Department of Corrections, Miller declined to be interviewed for this story.

In a 1979 plea bargain agreement that resolved the Young and Stuart murders and led authorities to the bodies of Choquette and Bush, Miller pleaded guilty to reduced charges of manslaughter and using a weapon in the commission of a rape. The sentences ran concurrently until 2007. He remains in prison for a 1998 conviction related to the discovery of a weapon in his prison cell, a garrote that could be used to strangle someone.

Miller is 65 years old now, and eligible for a parole hearing next year. If he serves his full term with no more convictions, he’ll be released in 2031 at the age of 76. The prospect of Don Miller ever being a free man is disturbing to author Rod Sadler. "In 2031," Sadler states, "Don Miller will have served his time, and Don Miller will be released from the Corrections Department, and Don Miller will live among us again.”

Sadler says Martha Sue Young’s sister Kay asked him why he was writing about the case. He says the possibility of Miller’s release, more than fifty years after his crimes, was his motivation. He concludes that “people have forgotten who Don Miller is, and people have forgotten what Don Miller did, and Don Miller’s going to get out of prison some day, and people need to know that.”

LINK:

Retired Sheriff's Sergeant's Book Chronicles 1970's Lansing Area Serial Killer Case

Correction to my post #32 of this thread: Miller killed Kristine Stuart 13 July 1978 - not 1979, as incorrectly stated on "Find a Grave".

Reactions: byo
Don Gene Miller will probably be up for parole again a number of times before the year 2031. Feel free to express your opinions and feelings on the matter to the State of Michigan' Parole Board.

Miller is a convicted serial killer who murdered (at least) four young women in the 1970's. Strange as it may seem, he was sentenced to concurrent terms in prison which only totaled about 20 years.

In 1998, he was sentenced to 20 - 40 years for the crime of possessing a weapon in prison. He has since been up for parole nine times, and has been turned down nine times.

From a press release 20 May 2022:

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan Department of Corrections has denied parole for a convicted serial killer who confessed to killing four women in the Lansing area in the 1970s.

Don-Miller-2018.png

Don Miller | Credit: MDOC

Don Miller, 67, will next be eligible for parole Aug. 29, 2027, the Eaton County prosecutor's office said Friday in a release. The office said it was notified Thursday that Miller had been denied parole.

Following his confession to the four deaths, Miller was allowed to plead guilty to just two counts of manslaughter because he led authorities to some of the bodies.

He also was convicted of raping and strangling a 14-year-old girl and strangling and stabbing her 13-year-old brother. Miller later was sentenced for possessing a weapon in prison.

Earlier this year (2022) Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed new laws allowing the parole board to delay reviews of killers and other violent offenders so they occur every five years instead of every one or two years.

The bipartisan measures addressed what supporters said was an unintended consequence of a 2018 law that changed the parole process. The legislation was spurred by victims who survived Miller.

Among the changes in the 2018 law was a provision that shortened, from five years to one year, the maximum period between parole reviews for an inmate who was denied despite having a high or average probability of release. It was shortened from five years to two for a prisoner with a low probability of parole.

"This extended period of time allows victims time to heal and limits the level of revictimization that occurs with annual parole review," Prosecutor Douglas Lloyd said Friday.

LINK:

Don Miller is flanked by detectives Dean Tucker, left, and Harry Tift following Miller's arraignment on Feb. 21, 1979.

"...Miller will not be considered for parole again for 5 years,"

LINKS:

Photo of Offender

DON GENE MILLER
Image Date: 6/4/2022
MDOC Number: 157793
SID Number: 1007413T
Racial Identification: White
Gender: Male Hair: Gray Eyes: Blue Height: 5' 8 Weight: 160 lbs.
Date of Birth: 12/28/1954 (68)
Current Status: Prisoner Assigned Location: Cooper Street Facility
Earliest Release Date: 10/06/2018
Maximum Discharge Date: 05/01/2031

Serial Killer Don Gene Miller has been up for Parole many times over the years and every time it has been denied. Note that his maximum release date is in 2031. That means that Michigan must release him on the public in eight years at the most.

Donald Eugene Miller has recently been moved from the Robert Cotton Facility to the Cooper Street Facility:

This facility is the former Michigan Parole Camp in Jackson and is located across the street from the old State Prison of Southern Michigan. It was expanded, with an increase in security and capacity (1752 beds), to create a Secure Level I prison which opened in July of 1997.

Cooper Street also serves as a release facility for prisoners who are about to parole, discharge, or transfer to community center placement.

LINKS:

Four victims of Don Gene Miller:

5069082_19d37db0-9a8a-402c-837d-506df6e439db.jpeg

Wendy Rebecca Bush, age 21

Martha Sue Young, age 19

150817945_2321425f-fe99-4aa7-9283-f1cf809019a4.jpeg

Kristine Rose Guske Stuart, age 31

Marita Elizabeth Choquette
Marita Elizabeth Choquette, age 27

Members online

Online statistics