MI MI - Na'Ziyah Harris, 13, Detroit, 9 Jan 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
naziyah-harris.png

Na'Ziyah Harris was last seen near Cornwall Street and 3 Mile Drive on Jan. 9.

Police say they received a briefing on Tuesday, Feb. 13, from the Detroit Public Schools police authority regarding Harris and are investigating her disappearance

At 1 p.m. on Feb. 14, Detroit Police Chief James White and Detroit Public Schools Community District Department of Public Safety Chief Labrit Jackson are providing an update on the investigation.

“Chief White received a briefing from the police authority of the Detroit Public Schools regarding the disappearance of 13-year-old Na'Ziyah Harris, and the investigative steps that have been taken to date,” DPD said Wednesday.

Na’Ziyah Harris, a student at J. E. Clark Preparatory Academy on Detroit’s east side, was last seen Jan. 9. She was last seen getting off a school bus at Cornwall Street and 3 Mile Drive, near Warren Avenue and Outer Drive.

Na’Ziyah was adopted by her grandmother, Anette Harris, who tearfully asked for help during a press conference.

“I want my baby home and I’m asking in the name of Jesus and I stand on my faith he is going to bring her home and we can band together and find her we can make a difference,” Harris said.

“We have deliberated on a number of different factors, we hope we find her well,” said Labrit Jackson, with the DPSCD Department of Public Safety. “But we can’t operate on hope and we have to operate on information, investigation and work that’s what we’re here to do today.”

Harris knows full well that now more than a month after her granddaughter’s disappearance, a search like this is ominous, and urges anyone who may know something to speak out.

NaZiyah-Harris.jpg

NaZiyah Harris on the bus

She was reported missing the following day to Detroit public schools police, who got federal law enforcement involved, including the U.S. Marshals to chase leads.

About one month later, on Feb. 13, the Detroit Police Department were asked to take over. Questions remain as to why it took so long for DPD to be let in on the investigation.

During a press conference Wednesday, Detroit Police Chief James White said investigators are "very, very concerned" about Na'Ziyah after a meeting about the case.

snapshot-2024-02-14T172749.701.jpg

DETROIT (FOX 2) - With 13-year-old Na'Ziyah Harris still missing, a Detroit organization has taken it upon themselves to help police search for her.

New Era Detroit (NED) leader Zeek Williams said his team is working feverishly with the highest hopes of finding Na'Ziyah – who disappeared over a month ago after getting off her school bus on Detroit's east side on Jan. 9.

Continues at link.

“We're praying for the safe return," Platinum Jones, a resident, said. "Everybody I know... we're all looking for her. We're all waiting for her."

Na'Ziyah' neighbor Gregory Hyte said, “My friends, my family, my daughters, they’ve been looking for her. They have her picture, and we're just trying to bring her home safe. Get some closure.”

He said he last saw Na'Ziyah on their block the day of his brother's funeral. That was the day before she disappeared.

Authorities said she was last seen exiting a school bus at the intersection of Cornwall Street and 3 Mile Drive. That's about a quarter mile from her home.

Investigators said they don’t think Na’Ziyah was abducted initially, but they won’t say if they think she willingly went off with someone.

“We’re going to exhaust everything geared toward bringing her home alive. And what we’re hopeful of is that she’s with one of her friends somewhere, maybe not even in the city of Detroit or in the state of Michigan," Detroit Police Department Chief James White said.

I created a FB group for her case. Find Na'Ziyah Harris

"If she could hear me now I would want to say to her: 'I love you, we love you, there's a lot of people concerned about you,'" said Vanessa, a relative of the girl.

"All that we can do with this time is hope that she is alive and she did run away," her relative said. "However, she's made no contact with anyone for us to be able to even believe that that is true."

Two family members spoke with FOX 2 under anonymity, we’ll call them "Vanessa" and "Trish" - they’re estranged from Na’Ziyah’s immediate family, and guardian, who she lives with, on Detroit’s east side.

The fracturing of this family started when Vanessa and Trish suspected, abuse at Na’Ziyah’s home – they reported the concerns to Children’s Protective Services.

"If I had to guess, seven to 10 times over the course of the last eight months, eight months to a year," said Vanessa

But – Na’Ziyah and her 16-year-old brother, remained in the home under the adoptive care of their grandma - who spoke out at a press conference this week.

Before she went missing on January 9th, "Trish" said she knew she’d be the next missing child out of Detroit. an eerie omen that came true.

FOX 2: "Do you think that there's foul play in her disappearance?"

"I think there's something going on there's so many different scenarios," Trish said. "Because there's so much dysfunction from multiple members in the family."

CLINTON TWP (FOX 2) - A search is underway at a secluded pond in Clinton Township Wednesday in connection to a missing 13-year-old, led by Detroit police :(

The pond is located near Gratiot and 14 Mile. Crews are scouring the area with no results yet.

CLINTON TWP (FOX 2) - A search is underway at a secluded pond in Clinton Township Wednesday in connection to a missing 13-year-old, led by Detroit police :(

The pond is located near Gratiot and 14 Mile. Crews are scouring the area with no results yet.
My heart always sinks when it's announced there's a search in or near water. :(

The search for a 13-year-old girl missing for nearly two months moved to Macomb County this week, officials said.

Detroit police and Michigan State Police on Wednesday searched for Na'Ziyah Harris in Clinton Township. Investigators searched a pond near 14 Mile and Gratiot in Clinton Township, according to media reports.

"We can confirm that the department’s Major Crimes Division is searching an area in Clinton Township as we continue to follow all leads in hopes of finding Na’Ziyah," Detroit police said in a statement posted Wednesday on X...

March 12, 2024

DETROIT – Authorities searched the Rouge River Tuesday, March 12, in connection with the disappearance of a 13-year-old girl who has been missing for more than two months.

The search included dive teams from the sheriff’s offices of Wayne and Oakland counties and the Detroit Police Department.

Detroit Police Chief James White said there is someone they are expecting to question regarding her disappearance, but as of Tuesday, they are not a person of interest.

DETROIT (FOX 2) - Detroit police continue to follow leads as they search for Na’Ziyah Harris.

On Tuesday, search teams were in the area of Shiawassee and 7 Mile looking for the girl.

"This is a very important area for us to investigate," Detroit Police Chief James White said.

On Tuesday, White said that the more time passes, the more it appears that the search is a recovery effort, stopping short of saying whether police think Harris is alive or not.

"We know how these things do play out," he said.

White said both the department's missing persons unit and homicide unit have been part of the investigation.

The search for a 13-year-old Detroit girl missing for nearly two months is looking more like a recovery mission than a rescue, officials said Tuesday.

"Unfortunately, as time goes on it does start to look more like a recovery effort," Detroit Police Chief James White said. "We hope that's not the case but we know how these things play out."

The chief made the remarks during a news conference near an area along the Rouge River on the city's west side where police continued the search for Na'Ziyah Harris.

"The goal is to bring some closure to the family, to identify where Na'Ziyah is," White said. "There's something very specific about this area that we want to take off of our list and that's why we're here today...

Detroit — The investigation into a 13-year-old girl who disappeared more than 10 weeks ago was initially stonewalled by her classmates, the Detroit Public Schools Community District police chief said...

DPSCD Police Chief Labrit Jackson said the investigation stalled at first because Na'Ziyah's classmates withheld information from police.

"Sometimes they may think they're helping a friend by withholding information but they're not," Jackson said. "The initial roadblock was a lack of cooperation by the students; she had told them that she'd planned on running away, but her classmates didn't tell us that initially. I don't know if they're being totally forthcoming now. Kids are extremely loyal to each other."...

Harris, a student at J. E. Clark Preparatory Academy on Detroit’s east side, was last seen Jan. 9. She was last seen getting off a school bus at Cornwall Street and 3 Mile Drive, near Warren Avenue and Outer Drive.

“They have footage of her getting on the school bus and the bus driver said that she got off at her regular stop she normally,” said Anette Harris, her grandmother and guardian.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back