Deceased/Not Found MI - Zion Foster 17, texted saying on her way home, Eastpointe, 4 Jan 2022 *arrest"

MAY 7, 2024
Ryan Elsey, Wayne County assistant prosecutor, said “Although he got rid of Zion’s body, you will see that he left behind a trail of digital evidence that is damning and will show you that the circumstances all lead to one and only one explanation for why Zion left his house in the trunk of his car that, and that’s because he murdered her.”

Brian Brown is Brazier’s attorney. During his opening statements and questioning witnesses, Brown mentioned Foster allegedly wanting to kill herself, that she took medication for depression and possibly being prone to seizures.

“Now, Jaylin was scared. He might not have made the right decision, but that does not make him a murderer. He panicked, did something that he shouldn’t have by dumping the body, but he admitted to that,” Brown said.

Prosecutor gives opening statement in trial for Jaylin Brazier

MAY 7, 2024
[...]

10:30 a.m. - Zion Foster's mom called as first witness

She said Brazier showed her security camera footage. But a neighbor showed her footage too, which showed Foster at his house.

Milton was also asked about text messages between herself and Brazier in the day after Foster disappeared. He asked multiple questions – about how often Zion said they would spend time together; if Milton had RIng doorbell cameras; if her Foster had been at her boyfriend's house.

[...]

1:09 p.m. - Zion Foster's boyfriend testifies

That night, he said she told him she would ‘hang with her favorite cousin’ - who he identified as Brazier.

Gonzalez testified that he spoke on the phone with Foster on Jan. 4, 2022, as she was getting into a car. He did not say who the voice was but said he recognized it.

He also testified that he checked on her location that night because he was worried about her hanging out with her cousin.

[...]

2:47 p.m. - Katrina Smith called to the stand

After a brief recess, Brazier's ex-girlfriend was called to the stand to testify.

Katrina Smith testified that she and Brazier were still together in early January 2022, when she was pregnant with his baby. She then discussed text messages between her and Brazier, which were sent in the early morning of January 5, 2022. This was around the same time frame that Foster's phone stopped sending its location.

[...]

3:30 p.m. - Jaylin Brazier's brother, David Magee testifies

After being sworn in, Magee testified that he didn't know that his brother knew Foster. He asked his brother if he had seen Foster, which Brazier said he had not. Magee said, eventually, Brazier said she had been at his house but did not say what happened.

Under cross-examination, Magee said he stayed with his family for a few nights for safety reasons.

[...]

3:40 p.m. - Former DPD officer called

He testified that he arrived at Brazier's home on January 6, 2022, and spoke with Brazier – a conversation that was recorded on his bodycam.

In the interaction, Brazier said he hadn't spoken with Foster since May 2021.

[...]

MAY 8, 2024
[...]

9:35 a.m. - FBI special agent George Rienerth testifies

With the jury seated and Brazier back in court, the prosecution continued its case – calling FBI special agent George Rienerth to testify.

[...]

Brazier's phone left his home at 1:44 a.m. that day and went to the Highland Park address. It was near the lot for 6 minutes - starting at 2 a.m.

After being there for six minutes, data showed the phone taking the same route back to the home on Greenfield, where it arrived at 2:29 a.m.

Rienerth said the next day, at 1:31 p.m., the phone left the Greenfield home and went back to the parking lot, arriving at 2 p.m. Then it turned around and went back to an area on the opposite side of the Lodge Freeway from Brazier's home, arriving at 2:11 p.m.

[...]

10:58 a.m. - Eastpointe Detective Ian Reinhold on the stand

He also obtained footage of a doorbell camera from across the street from Brazier's home in Greenfield, recorded at 11:14 p.m. – which appears to show the same the car that picked up Foster, Reinhold testified.

Two people then got out of the car and went inside the home.

The prosecutor played multiple clips throughout the night, showing the car hadn't moved until 1:41 a.m. – when the car pulled out of the driveway and was then backed into place.

At 1:50, the car pulled out of the driveway. Over the next 25 minutes, several cars passed by until 2:15 a.m. when the white car pulled back into the driveway. The next movement was 30 minutes later when the trunk of the car was opened and then closed – and then the car was backed out of the driveway.

[...]

11:48 a.m. - Detective Brian Showers testifies

... He testified he was in Pontiac on Jan. 17, 2022, watching Brazier's vehicle. The car had been parked and police were looking for the car in an attempt to find Brazier.

After about 4 hours of waiting, Brazier left a home nearby and got into the car. Showers said police stopped him and detained him. The car was towed as part of the investigation to the Eastpointe Police lot - where it was searched two days later.

[...]

1:00 p.m. - Jayson Chambers - FBI special agent called to testify (served a search warrant at Brazier's Detroit home on Jan. 17, 2022).

Included was a photo from the dining room table. In that photo was the alleged suicide note that police had referenced during testimony earlier on Wednesday. It was written on a cardboard box:

"I did nothing and in death I stick to that regardless of the lies being made against me. To my family Katrina, mom/dad and my siblings, I love you all more than anything in this world and I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough to handle this. to my kids, Ava, Deshaun, Isaiah, daddy will always be with you and always love you."

[...]

1:44 p.m. - Eli Bowers - FBI special agent testifies

[...]

He said there was no evidence with ALS that prompted the need to swap for luminol in the living room – the only room he was asked to search in the home.

Under cross-examination, he said the ALS and luminol are both reliable and have been used for years in police investigations.

[...]

2:00 p.m. - David Yount - MSP K9 unit testifies

The dog Yount trained and worked with, Jamison, is a cadaver dog within the MSP K9 unit. Yount and Jamison arrived at Brazier's home on Greenfield in January 2022. He said the dog did not indicate anything about Foster or her remains being in the home.

Yount and Jamison then searched Brazier's car at the Eastpointe Police Department. In the trunk of the car, Jamison gave an indication of human remains - but nothing was physically present.

[...]

3:10 p.m. - Detroit Police Sgt. Shannon Jones

She testified that Brazier had his Miranda Rights read to him prior to his interview with Detroit Police on Jan. 19, 2022.

During that interview, everyone was wearing a mask due to Covid, making it difficult to hear Brazier and the police in the room with him.

Brazier admitted to police in this interview that Foster died when they were smoking weed together and that he put her body in a trash can in Highland Park.

[...]

MAY 9, 2024
The video was from the interview Brazier did with police and he explained when he found Foster had stopped breathing after they smoked weed together.

"I got up and I went to get something to drink. I came back and she said she was tired, and things laid her head so I can let her go to sleep or whatever. And then 15 to 20 minutes after, I say, okay, are you good to go home? And she wasn't responding," Brazier said. "It was her plan to go back home that night. She said she had work in the morning."

Brazier said he was freaking out that Foster had died.

He then explained what he did next: backing his car into the driveway and loading her body into his drunk before driving to the Highland Park parking lot and throwing her body in a dumpster.

MAY 10, 2024
Jaylin Brazier told a Detroit Police Lt. he and Zion Foster took acid together. "I think that's what killed her," he said.

MAY 10, 2024
During Friday's witness testimony in Jaylin Brazier's murder trial in the death of Zion Foster, the prosecution played recorded phone conversations between Brazier and his ex-fiance, Katrina Smith, while he was incarcerated.

[...]

The prosecution played a prison phone call between Brazier and his Smith, in which she can be heard saying "deny everything."

“... A detective called her that's new on the case that's going around asking, calling people asking them what they know about the case. So, if anybody come to you deny, deny everything," Smith said during the Oct. 1, 2022 phone call.

MAY 12, 2024
The trial of Jaylin Brazier, 24, who is charged with second-degree murder and tampering with evidence, started Tuesday, May 7. The trial is scheduled to resume at 9 a.m. on Monday, May 13. You can follow along with the trial live on Local 4+ -- streaming in the video player above.

Through four days of testimony, a total of 21 people have taken the stand. They included Foster's mother, Ciera Milton, Brazier's ex-girlfriend, Katrina Smith, and a large number of police and investigators.

Friday's testimony centered mostly around previous interviews with police. One interview tape played included Brazier telling Detroit police he took LSD with Foster. He also said he bought that LSD from Facebook. However, during an interrogation by the FBI months later, he denied taking acid.

DETROIT – A jury on Thursday found a Detroit man guilty of killing his teenage cousin Zion Foster, who he admitted to throwing in the dumpster in 2022.

After deliberating for less than an hour on Thursday, May 16, a jury found Jaylin Brazier guilty of second-degree murder and tampering with evidence in connection with the death of Zion Foster, his 17-year-old cousin. Foster went missing from her Eastpointe home in January 2022. Brazier admitted that the two were together during her last moments at his Detroit home, and that he put her body in a dumpster after she died...

A Wayne County jury deliberated less than hour on Thursday before finding the cousin of 17-year-old Zion Foster guilty of killing her and disposing of her body in a dumpster in 2022.

Though Zion's body was never found — police traced the Highland Park dumpster in which Jaylin Brazier said he dumped Zion's body to a Macomb County landfill that they searched for days without luck — Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Ryan Elsey said during his Thursday closing argument in Wayne Circuit Court that there is a "simple explanation" for what happened the night of Jan. 4, 2022.

"He put her in that dumpster because he murdered her," Elsey said.

Brazier, whose trial began May 6, was convicted of one count of second-degree murder and tampering with evidence...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage
Back