Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a storm in a teacup.

There's much, much more important things to worry about than a scantily clad pop star performing a risqué dance routine on a stage somewhere.

Like world hunger, for instance.

What's funny is that she was clad more modestly than my folks on the beach here. And that I have seen more risqué dancing at my junior high school dance, which was held just after the movie "dirty dancing" came out. :scared:

This is a storm in a teacup.

There's much, much more important things to worry about than a scantily clad pop star performing a risqué dance routine on a stage somewhere.

Like world hunger, for instance.

If she actually preformed a dance routine...and actually had talent... I'd shut up

Truly don't understand how or why anyone could defend that "performance." Particularly in the name of feminism. Really?

So I just watched this video. Its rather tame in comparison to others. People are outraged because its the little disney kid. Miley is supremely talented although this wasnt evidence of that. I say she is reflecting american pop culture of today. And yes, we should all be ashamed of that. Take a good look america....this is what is now deemed appropriate for an awards show. Appropriate as entertainment. We created this by voting with our pocketbooks. Miley gets paid to entertain and america is paying her to do that. Our bad.

So I just watched this video. Its rather tame in comparison to others. People are outraged because its the little disney kid. Miley is supremely talented although this wasnt evidence of that. I say she is reflecting american pop culture of today. And yes, we should all be ashamed of that. Take a good look america....this is what is now deemed appropriate for an awards show. Appropriate as entertainment. We created this by voting with our pocketbooks. Miley gets paid to entertain and america is paying her to do that. Our bad.

I am not one of the "people" you are speaking of.
I couldn't care less if she's a Disney kid.
I fail to see her as talented in any way shape or form.

She can't act
She can't dance
She can't sing without the help of autotune
I don't find her attractive, smart, witty, clever.

She's a talentless little twit that got extremely lucky.
Shame really when there is so much amazing talent out there, talent that never gets a break.

In comparison to what? I'm outraged because it was disgusting - nothing to do with Disney - JSUK. And I don't believe that...whatever it was...had anything to do with pop culture nor do I believe it was appropriate for ANYTHING. It was NOT entertainment. And the fact that so many people are talking about it is not any form of validation.

I have never voted for MC with my pocketbook - and after that - whatever the F it was, never will.

I am a woman and I am the mother of a daughter. NOTHING about this "performance" was attractive or empowering for women. It was a tragic embarrassment in every possible way. If my daughter carried on that way - on or off camera - there would be a serious throw-down.

And....sorry to throw this in as an afterthought - because it's really not. Robin Thicke is a gross, smarmy old man and that suit he was wearing was not one bit better than MC's - but for a completely different reason! EWWWWWWWWW!

Truly don't understand how or why anyone could defend that "performance." Particularly in the name of feminism. Really?

making a note...checking to see if hell froze over...I agree 100% with you

(Please don't let that be cause for you to change your mind though :) )

making a note...checking to see if hell froze over...I agree 100% with you

(Please don't let that be cause for you to change your mind though :) )

OMG, Charlie - I know. NEVER, NEVER , NEVER thought we'd be on the same side of anything.....ever. But here we are!

Just so you know - I don't "change" my mind. I know my mind. ;)

I am not one of the "people" you are speaking of.
I couldn't care less if she's a Disney kid.
I fail to see her as talented in any way shape or form.

She can't act
She can't dance
She can't sing without the help of autotune
I don't find her attractive, smart, witty, clever.

She's a talentless little twit that got extremely lucky.
Shame really when there is so much amazing talent out there, talent that never gets a break.

There are many, many, people out there with extreme talent that never get a chance. So many with much more talent will never get that opportunity. She has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of her life if she uses it wisely. They need to give someone else with more ability a shot to display their talent.

Please excuse me now while I take my tongue, chicken butt and teddy bear and make my one and only youtube video before I die. It certainly can't be any worse than what she did....:floorlaugh:

She might not be the most talented person out there, but she definitely has the it factor. And that's what matters when it comes to the entertainment industry.

I feel sorry for her. My 14 yo has more sense and self-respect.

It's like the slightly more adult version of when little girls want to play grown-ups and prance around in Mummy's (read: Madonna's, Gwen Stefani's, Pink's) underthings. That's the energy this gave off... and it won't be easy on that poor girl's ego to hear that sort of thing. I hope she survives it okay, and gets some better guidance and management for her future career.

Why is it that when we do not agree with her trashy appearance we most be old hags with nothing better to do then sound off on a disney kid? My facebook blew up with a range of ages but we will only talk about the younger side for the sake of her so called fans and target age group. Girls and boys ranging in age from 14-25 I had at least 14 express their opinion about it. All but 1 hated it one 17 yr old boy said he felt dirty after watching it. The one who liked it only likes it b/c of the whole if a man was doing it we wouldn't have issues with it so we should just let her rock. They had many comments and likes from friends within the age range all the ones I read agreed it was just trashy. Her strippers pole performance I did not have an issue with. I knew she had to grow up sooner or later. (Kind of like Robin Thicke and Blurred Lines. That song does not work for me and I wonder if its b/c he is to old to sing that song. not a spring chicken anymore).

Miley looked like the drunk/drugged out girl from a bar that thought she was really working the crowd but when in reality everyone was standing around pointing, laughing and taking pictures of the drunk /drugged out girl.

She might not be the most talented person out there, but she definitely has the it factor. And that's what matters when it comes to the entertainment industry.

What is her "it factor"? What makes her special? Her striking ability to make a complete fool of herself? A horrible role model for others her age? The fact that she somehow is given the spotlight despite the fact she has no talent at all?
She may be able to buy her own way into the spotlight for now because she does have some wealth, but I doubt she will be able to maintain it if she continues to perform the way she did the other night.

It factor:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-it-factor.htm

Oh come on now lol. Seriously? This smacks of "eeeevilll she-devil sinks claws into poor unsuspecting menz!" nonsense! Old stereotypes and tropes of manipulative, sneaky woman corrupting poor innocent men. Blah.

I've no doubt he was enjoying his own twerking with Miley for a long time.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh: well I was clearly joking, but I did find this >> http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...raunchy-vma-show/story-fn907478-1226706294917 .. He may be free soon ladies, so get in line :scared:

Don't listen to the haters Miley.

Keep on with your art.

Haters - Rembrant didn't create a masterpiece in one day. Van Gough threw away plenty of sketches. Practise makes perfect. Are we to judge on one single performance? Really? Would you appreciate your own daughters being subject to such derision?

Fortunately I believe MC has planned and executed the most humungous hijack of publicity EVER. Stupid? No, not when it translates into millions in the bank.

Miley Cyrus could buy and sell all of us and she got that money from the Great American Public. Look to yourselves. They only allowed the performance because they knew everyone in America would watch it.

They weren't wrong.

:cow:

Happy to report that t.v. was video free of this yesterday. No cable here, so can't say on cable shows. Big sigh of relief not having to see it again.

I wonder if the Beiber bit is the first step toward intervention? Does Beiber do drugs?

We all know MC got this gig b/c she has connections. Why those connections let her perform when she clearly was not ready, or is simply incapable, I don't know. She needs a strong support group that guides her in the right direction. She seemed to have that before, but where are they now? Or is it simply that she will not listen now.

It is clear that a Disney contract must be a pain and not allow a young star to do much of anything, so that seems to be the target of her angst. When will that target become why was I even involved in a Disney contract when I was a child and could not make my own decisions to begin with? I think that is where the drug use and promotion will lead, and it may get ugly.

There are lots of strong child stars that are adults now out there she could turn to when she is ready, if she wants to. The ones that did not end up doing massive amounts of partying. I hope that the "stars" are working on these issues with their own, and not hoping the public will just stop watching the stars lose their minds to partying. The public will not stop watching, we can't. We don't make it public. Like this crappy performance, I had no idea about it until it was forced into nearly every daytime and evening television show and every internet page anyone visits. The stars need to push making getting drugged up, drunk, and acting like a child NOT glamorous. Parents have tried, obviously that is ineffective. The child consumers simply do that, consume what they see and imitate it. They think it is cool b/c it is all they see the stars do.

I have no idea if the 20 somethings or younger liked this performance or not. I don't even like Thicke's song, although it has been named the song of the summer. I can't imagine it helped MC's street cred, or that it is going to help her in the issues she is facing. Art can be a great outlet for issues, but it must come from that source, looking to come to terms with those issues, and resolving them. Not making them worse. That is where her support team needs to guide her.

I felt utterly embarrassed for her, when I first saw the video. SMH

Was watching with DH and we were both convinced she was thisclose to actually masturbating on stage. I mean, she certainly came close to it with her hands and that sponge. I hope it was burned afterwards.

MOO

Mel

Don't listen to the haters Miley.

Keep on with your art.

Haters - Rembrant didn't create a masterpiece in one day. Van Gough threw away plenty of sketches. Practise makes perfect. Are we to judge on one single performance? Really? Would you appreciate your own daughters being subject to such derision?

Fortunately I believe MC has planned and executed the most humungous hijack of publicity EVER. Stupid? No, not when it translates into millions in the bank.

Miley Cyrus could buy and sell all of us and she got that money from the Great American Public. Look to yourselves. They only allowed the performance because they knew everyone in America would watch it.

They weren't wrong.

:cow:

Some things are more important than money.....Like self respect and integrity. At least to me.

If she actually preformed a dance routine...and actually had talent... I'd shut up

So is this what it's really about? Not that she tried to do a striptease/lapdance/vulgar display, just that she's not good enough therefore nobody wants to see it. Is this why nobody bags on Lady Gaga then for what she does?

BTW, I agree that if you have talent, there is no need to go out of your way to make yourself seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamStevens357