Miscarriage a crime!?

http://http://fertilitylabinsider.com/2011/02/reproductive-bills-in-the-news/

There is a bill in Oklahoma right now that is like this, a "personhood" bill. As someone who is currently undergoing fertility treatments in OK this concerns me so much. I wrote the state senators opposing this bill and actually received a reply back. I was so disappointed in this reply.

"I agree with you but if I vote against it I will be labelled as anti pro-life. I know that is not true but the Republicans control the definition of who we are. I realise that is a sad state of politics but that is reality"

I won't include the name of the state senator but I am disgusted by this.

I am astonished you received such candor from any elected official.

Did anyone watch Dr. Phil today? A 15 year old miscarried at 22 weeks - fetus died at birth (never took a breath). The Pros wanted to charge her with MURDER! Only because she chose to hide it from her parents and have a private burial. In the end, she was charged with desecration of human remains -- but the autopsy confirmed the baby was stillborn. I was horrified. I understand that a 15 year old is a child, but this girl did everything to respect her unborn child (which is more than I can say for the GD hospitals). Took pictures of her little one, buried it with her favourite teddy bear, etc. I wish I had that opportunity when my child miscarried on the emergency room table (and ended up in a bucket somewhere because it wasn't viable).

This is far too personal a subject for me. I am just scared for women everywhere!

MOO

Mel

There is a bill in Oklahoma right now that is like this, a "personhood" bill. As someone who is currently undergoing fertility treatments in OK this concerns me so much. I wrote the state senators opposing this bill and actually received a reply back. I was so disappointed in this reply.

"I agree with you but if I vote against it I will be labelled as anti pro-life. I know that is not true but the Republicans control the definition of who we are. I realise that is a sad state of politics but that is reality"

I won't include the name of the state senator but I am disgusted by this.

Not to get too political here, but I predicted things would come to this to some of my friends years ago; I grew up in an extreme fundementalist religous background and knew that once they began mixing into politics it was only a matter of time before our freedoms would attempt to be infringed upon. Sadly, certain political parties in this country sold out to them in an effort to channel their energy for short term gain. I could say more but better not..

Contrarily, this is mighty fine birth control, and that's not what the fundamentalists want, is it?

I am astonished you received such candor from any elected official.

I KNOW! I read that email at least 3 times thinking "someone must have hacked his email account". I still am in disbelief that any public official would write something like this, I have sent letters to represenatives before and always got back a "form letter" type of response.

I find it highly ironic that these same zealots would protest mightily at the idea of Sharia law in this so-called Christian country when they are darn close to promoting it themselves under a different name. Ironic, and frightening as HE11.

So, okay, let me get this straight.

If a zygote is a citizen of the state, then can a pregnant woman claim it as a deduction on her tax return? How about women who miscarry repeatedly, can they claim their three or four or however many miscarriages in the previous year as children on their tax returns?

Somehow, I have a feeling that the answer is no. Apparently, it's okay to confiscate a woman's body but it's not okay to mess around withholding money from the government.

So, okay, let me get this straight.

If a zygote is a citizen of the state, then can a pregnant woman claim it as a deduction on her tax return? How about women who miscarry repeatedly, can they claim their three or four or however many miscarriages in the previous year as children on their tax returns?

Somehow, I have a feeling that the answer is no. Apparently, it's okay to confiscate a woman's body but it's not okay to mess around withholding money from the government.

IIRC, I believe there was already a case where a pregnant woman tried to drive in the car pool lane, claiming she represented two passengers in the car. Again IIRC, didn't fly with the courts.

IIRC, I believe there was already a case where a pregnant woman tried to drive in the car pool lane, claiming she represented two passengers in the car. Again IIRC, didn't fly with the courts.

If this ridiculous thing passes, then I argue a pregnant woman is entitled to TWO votes - one for themselves and a proxy for their fetus. That means TWO votes for the opponent of any legislator voting for this misogynist, draconian bill.

If this ridiculous thing passes, then I argue a pregnant woman is entitled to TWO votes - one for themselves and a proxy for their fetus. That means TWO votes for the opponent of any legislator voting for this misogynist, draconian bill.

Great idea!

"I agree with you but if I vote against it I will be labelled as anti pro-life. I know that is not true but the Republicans control the definition of who we are. I realise that is a sad state of politics but that is reality"I won't include the name of the state senator but I am disgusted by this.

Wow, that is seriously pathetic. You actually should publish that in every paper in your state so people will know what is going on there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back