Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

If Kaylee survives but it permanently mentally disabled due to the attack she suffered, do you think the perpetrator should be charged as an adult or a juvenile?
I don't know the laws in the jurisdiction, but my worry would be if the attacker is charged as a juvenile, her record would be sealed or expunged when she turns 18. I don't think that would be right, given the viciousness of the attack.

I am skeptical about rehabilitation--I don't think it works unless the criminal truly wants to change.

For me, being charged as an adult is less about punishing the attacker and more about preventing a similar tragedy from happening by keeping her behind bars for a longer time.

I've read all the stories about how violent this particular community can be, but that just doesn't excuse the level of violence we saw.

I do want to learn more about what happened to the attacker to make her family think she is the real victim. Because maybe those things could also be looked at and addressed to prevent other young people from thinking it's okay to use this sort of violence. Or, film it and post it on social media.

But, the fact still remains that this is probably an offense that should not be swept under the rug, and I worry it will be if she's tried as a juvenile.

JMOO

It’s common knowledge that our frontal lobes aren’t fully developed until about age 25. Perhaps by 25, the assailant would be capable of regulating herself in public in order to be safe to society. Maybe.
RSBM

I like that. I agree that locking her up until 18 is not sufficient for the level of violence she visited on another human being.

The 18-year cutoff point seems unreasonable in situations such as this, but at the same time, the 25-year point still acknowledges that she committed the crime as a child but keeps her out of society longer.

Still, in cases like this that are so overwhelmingly violent, I think evidence that she can self-regulate should be a condition of her parole.

Her family is playing the race card--but they're family--they'll do what they can to help her.

If Kaylee survives but it permanently mentally disabled due to the attack she suffered, do you think the perpetrator should be charged as an adult or a juvenile?
I believe, that due to the viciousness of the attack, specifically the bashing of KG's head into the concrete more than once, whether premeditated or done in the moment, she should be charged as an adult. If convicted of either 2nd degree assault, the likely charge if Kaylee survives or manslaughter if she dies, sentencing guidelines call for incarceration for a period of 5-15 years, and I believe a felon is required to serve 85% of the sentence, which, at even the high end, would be a term of 12 years, 9 months. Even that would have her free well before her 30th birthday, and allow her to resume a more normal life, and redeem herself. JMO

I would like to know, since the family claims the young lady who assaulted Kaylee is a victim, how many times they contacted the school admins or counselors, Kaylee's family, authorities, ANYONE, to try to get a handle on what was going on. It seems quite bold that there is a teenage girl fighting for her life because of their daughter's actions, which the world has seen on video, and they're maintaining their child is the victim. So what did they do leading up to this point, to prevent this from happening? To get help for both of these girls? To diffuse the situation? Show us the emails, show us where your child was being bullied/tormented so badly you reached out to literally anyone. I'm sick over this. I know their heart hurts for their own child and the fact that she just ruined two lives (more, arguably). My heart hurts for them, honestly. But the audacity they have to speak out against this little girl who's in a coma fighting for her life literally blows my mind. Sometimes...silence is the answer.

I understand that the assailants family is likely in shock right now, and a bit of denial. If what they’re saying is true, and the attacker has no history of violence, then I see how this could be shocking to them. But what gets me is them saying the attacker is “the real victim”. That is just absurd and insulting to Kaylee. Kaylee was jumped, beaten within an inch of her life, and left alone. She is very obviously a victim. To discount that is just tasteless and heartless, IMO. I would’ve received it better if the attackers family had apologized profusely first for their loved ones actions, expressed their shock, and then tried to gently explain that the attacker was being bullied and acted out on that. But by just saying the attacker is “the real victim” and listing her accomplishments? That does nothing to make me feel any sympathy.

JMO

I would like to know, since the family claims the young lady who assaulted Kaylee is a victim, how many times they contacted the school admins or counselors, Kaylee's family, authorities, ANYONE, to try to get a handle on what was going on. It seems quite bold that there is a teenage girl fighting for her life because of their daughter's actions, which the world has seen on video, and they're maintaining their child is the victim. So what did they do leading up to this point, to prevent this from happening? To get help for both of these girls? To diffuse the situation? Show us the emails, show us where your child was being bullied/tormented so badly you reached out to literally anyone. I'm sick over this. I know their heart hurts for their own child and the fact that she just ruined two lives (more, arguably). My heart hurts for them, honestly. But the audacity they have to speak out against this little girl who's in a coma fighting for her life literally blows my mind. Sometimes...silence is the answer.

Just because we have only seen one video, doesn't mean that there aren't more.

<modsnip>
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
The victim in this case is lying in a hospital bed in a coma.

<modsnip>
JMO
<modsnip> I have seen no evidence online that shows KG as anything other than a victim, with the exception of one highly political video, which spewed a lot of political garbage with zero facts to back anything up.

I agree that there is probably much more to this story. However, this girl wasn't defending herself. She went well above and beyond that. This was assault. IMHO.

<modsnip> I have seen no evidence online that shows KG as anything other than a victim, with the exception of one highly political video, which spewed a lot of political garbage with zero facts to back anything up.

I agree that there is probably much more to this story. However, this girl wasn't defending herself. She went well above and beyond that. This was assault. IMHO.

I agree, whatever happened prior to that day, self defence can't be claimed.

I believe there are mitigating circumstances, and KG wasn't just jumped as some are posting, I believe she turned up ready to fight, but I don't believe she deserved what happened to her.

The other girl should have stopped and walked away the minute she took KG down, anything she did after that can't be excused and I'm not suggesting it should be.

I agree with @SteveP post above.

JMO

<modsnip>
JMO
<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped> I would very much like to hear the assailant's side of the story. I'd like to know a lot more about what happened. There is clearly a lot more to this, and I am fully open to hearing it all. But I find it a bit surprising that we haven't heard a thing from any one. These are all high school kids, they gossip constantly, but I haven't heard a peep, has anyone else?

I agree, whatever happened prior to that day, self defence can't be claimed.

I believe there are mitigating circumstances, and KG wasn't just jumped as some are posting, I believe she turned up ready to fight, but I don't believe she deserved what happened to her.

The other girl should have stopped and walked away the minute she took KG down, anything she did after that can't be excused and I'm not suggesting it should be.

I agree with @SteveP post above.

JMO
I would like to know more about what proceeded this fight.

Is it possible that the "winner" of this fight was the victim prior to this fight and went far beyond protecting herself, due to on ongoing frustration with being victimized?

ADMIN NOTE:

Talk of "another video" is off limits at this point. I have asked the OP to send a link via a Report to Mods.

Until it has been viewed and approved or not, do not link to it or discuss it on the public thread.

Thanks.

The aggressor's family is delusional. Whatever what words may have been said prior to this attack don't matter. The girl could have walked away but instead she chose horrific violence. I don't care how many languages she speaks or what her marks in school are. She tried to kill another person and should pay by spending the rest of her life in jail.
^^^THIS^^^ IMO

I'm not sure the Missouri AG is on the right track -- but he's launched an investigation into the fight, and into DEI policies he thinks contributed to it.

I wouldn't be so sure about her parents feeling bad about what their daughter did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back