Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

Indeed. So the question is does said ticked off person belong on civilized streets?.

I think the better question is whether said ticked off person can be rehabilitated.

In this case, I think there's a good chance she can be--given her lack of a criminal record, studious mindset, and strong goalsetting abilities.

However, she must still be held accountable for her actions -- just at the juvenile level rather than the adult level.

I think the better question is whether said ticked off person can be rehabilitated.

In this case, I think there's a good chance she can be--given her lack of a criminal record, studious mindset, and strong goalsetting abilities.

However, she must still be held accountable for her actions -- just at the juvenile level rather than the adult level.
I hope the Juvenile Court can order her into therapy sessions to help her to learn to manage her anger.

JMO

KG has made great strides in the last two months. She went from being in a coma for several weeks, to learning how to walk again, speech therapy, living at home with a helmet on, learning to brush her teeth, and now trying to conquer her short term memory loss. Those are encouraging statements from the family, but far too early in the process to determine she will make a full recovery in my opinion. Of course, I hope she does. Her journey to a full recovery will be long and painful and difficult on her family.
Do you think the judge will hold off sentencing until her medical team has determined her prognosis?

We'll have to leave it to the justice system to decide that, but TBH, she'll need to avoid the neighborhood she grew up in if she wants to be in "civilized" streets. That's the nature of the Hazelwood neighborhood; sorry.
We’re all products of our environment.

I seriously doubt that happens because her condition is improving.

JMO
True, for now, but who knows what might happen 10, 20, or more years down the line?

One of Charles Whitman's 1966 shooting victims died 30 years later from complications of this (he was shot in the back and it destroyed his only kidney; he'd had a transplant but ended up dying from kidney disease) and what if, for instance, one of the Columbine survivors who is in a wheelchair dies from complications from that? TBH, I'm surprised that hasn't happened (yet).

One wonders what will happen to M if Kaylee dies prematurely, and her death is determined to have been a result of this.

Probably nothing. It seems already to be determined by the recommendation from the Juvenile officer that MD continue to be tracked as a Juvenile, in Juvenile Court. In general, judges are likely to take recommendations by officers.

MD has no other history of violence, according to the officer. Or involvement with the court system prior to this incident.

True, for now, but who knows what might happen 10, 20, or more years down the line?

One of Charles Whitman's 1966 shooting victims died 30 years later from complications of this (he was shot in the back and it destroyed his only kidney; he'd had a transplant but ended up dying from kidney disease) and what if, for instance, one of the Columbine survivors who is in a wheelchair dies from complications from that? TBH, I'm surprised that hasn't happened (yet).
The condition years from now will be monitored by attorneys and LE just as it is being monitored now.

JMO

We'll have to leave it to the justice system to decide that, but TBH, she'll need to avoid the neighborhood she grew up in if she wants to be in "civilized" streets. That's the nature of the Hazelwood neighborhood; sorry.
Really good point.

In my opinion, Hazelwood's atmosphere is a huge factor in both girls' lives and attitudes. When children grow up in a high-crime area—whether or not they have families that try to shield them—they're exposed to things children who live in safer communities could never imagine.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's too bad some children have to grow up in places like Hazelwood, where the schools they're required to attend are little microcosms where hate brews and festers.

All MOO

As for Columbine, the two gunmen are dead -- would innocent relatives of those two have to be charged if a disabled victim of EH and DK died?

Do you think the judge will hold off sentencing until her medical team has determined her prognosis?
I think the Judge should take a good look at KG’s current medical situation and prognosis. Short term memory loss equates to no ability to learn new things. Granted, that might improve with time, but how much time? I hope the Judge takes this under great consideration.

I think the Judge should take a good look at KG’s current medical situation and prognosis. Short term memory loss equates to no ability to learn new things. Granted, that might improve with time, but how much time? I hope the Judge takes this under great consideration.
BBM. What 'new things' will she not be able to learn?

JMO

I don’t believe I understand your question. That being said, it is my opinion that it is way too early to determine that KG is going to be all right and functional in the future. She has along road ahead
Yes, I agree she has a long road ahead of her but it sounds like she has been receiving excellent healthcare and is improving.

JMO

Is a civil lawsuit possible by KG's family against the family of MD? MD is a minor, so not sure how that would work. But KG will likely have high medical bills for treatment and equipment, etc. for the rest of her life. Is a lawsuit likely? I hope KG's parents have consulted with an attorney.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golden123
Back