Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

Hi all,

So I guess now we wait. Will WRAL or any of the stations show the courtroom or is it just we wait? I apologize if my questions seem silly!

Thanks!
Moxie

Does anyone know which post at wral has Raven's mother testifying? TIA I couldn't watch it all while at work and I'm today and would love to see the entire thing.

Does anybody know what the sentencing guidelines are if there's a conviction? Is it automatically life without parole? Or are there other options?

I believe it is automatic life w/o parole. I know that Janet's family did an incredible thing. Having lost Janet in such a brutal way, when the state told them they were ready to bring the case forth against Raven, and that it was a death penalty cast, the Christiansen's requested that the death penalty be taken off the table. They did not want for Kaiden to lose both parents. I thought that spoke volumes about the character of the Christiansen family, their values and their love for Kaiden.

Does anybody know what the sentencing guidelines are if there's a conviction? Is it automatically life without parole? Or are there other options?

Per Twitter:

Tamara Gibbs ABC11 ‏@TGibbsABC11 2m
Jury in #AbaroaTrial already asking questions. They've made a list of items they want to see. #ABC11

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 1m
#AbaroaTrial jurors ask for 9 items: 911 call, layout of house, crime scene photos, bank statements, phone records, photos of Abaroa ...

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 33s
#AbaroaTrial – They also want video following a phone call with police, Raven Abaroa's clothing, and a lead detective's notes

Hi all,

So I guess now we wait. Will WRAL or any of the stations show the courtroom or is it just we wait? I apologize if my questions seem silly!

Thanks!
Moxie

I tried to find live stream links at both WRAL and WTVD at 9:30 this morning but there were none. I'll check again. Seems like in the past we have somehow known when a verdict was reached.

Good Morning, WS friends and Justice for Janet peeps! I must say, we are a close little band of folks -- all different but united in Justice for Janet, her grieving & suffering family & friends, and retribution for the evil-doer. It's a comfort, at least speaking for myself, to have this forum to "run to" when we need to let off steam, to point out ideas or faults or research or bravos for the trial principals, and just to be with others who are united in one cause.

We're not done yet, but we're at the final quarter-mile in this race, and I want to say (trying not to be too drippy or too Pollyanna-ish) that I value what we have here for this justice-watch, and I hope our thoughts & prayers help comfort and strengthen the jurors, the ADAs, the LEO's, the Judge, and certainly the ones who will always have that deep hole in their hearts which is the loss of a very special and talented Janet Marie Christiansen.
:coffeews: .. :tyou: .. :loveyou: .. :peace: .. :websleuther: .. :cheer: .. :grouphug:

God bless us every one!

Good morning ! I have followed this case from the beginning but real life has intervened and I've not been able to post. Fortunately [ or unfortunately]I am home sick today and I am so hoping the correct verdict will be reached today !!!!

What time does the jury start deliberating today ? 9 or 9:30 ????

I have the Janet's ribbon sitting by my computer !

Good Morning to you, Jess. I can see that you aren't new to WS, but we're glad you've joined our little band of peeps for Janet.

Welcome, Jess!!

I wouldn't be surprised, friends, if we haz verdict as early as tomorrow afternoon.
I'm with ya seattle. I doubt they are going to be pawing through that huge stack of paper they have when the pertinent (or in the case of Janet's e-mails - NOT pertinent) information has already been pointed out to them. The papers are the only physical evidence that would take any time to go through. For instance when they look at Donna's pix, they won't be able to determine anything beyond what Donna already told them.
The only deliberation time will be discussing back and forth their opinions on what was presented, and I truly think the state nailed it yesterday. When the summations were delivered, and everything was boiled down to a nutshell, the facts of the case became apparent. Raven's lies, and his only reason for lying were glaring obvious.
This must be a tortious time for Janet's loved ones, and I pray for peace and fortitude for them. I can't imagine what they must be going through, and hope I never find out.
I think they will come to a decision some time today, and pray they vote for justice for Janet.

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 41m

Jury resumes deliberations this AM in Raven #AbaroaTrial after 4 hrs of closing arguments Wed. More details: http://www.wral.com/12492085

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 21m

#AbaroaTrial jurors ask for 9 items: 911 call, layout of house, crime scene photos, bank statements, phone records, photos of Abaroa ...

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 21m

#AbaroaTrial – They also want video following a phone call with police, Raven Abaroa's clothing, and a lead detective's notes

https://twitter.com/wral

Good Morning, WS friends and Justice for Janet peeps! I must say, we are a close little band of folks -- all different but united in Justice for Janet, her grieving & suffering family & friends, and retribution for the evil-doer. It's a comfort, at least speaking for myself, to have this forum to "run to" when we need to let off steam, to point out ideas or faults or research or bravos for the trial principals, and just to be with others who are united in one cause.

We're not done yet, but we're at the final quarter-mile in this race, and I want to say (trying not to be too drippy or too Pollyanna-ish) that I value what we have here for this justice-watch, and I hope our thoughts & prayers help comfort and strengthen the jurors, the ADAs, the LEO's, the Judge, and certainly the ones who will always have that deep hole in their hearts which is the loss of a very special and talented Janet Marie Christiansen.
:coffeews: .. :tyou: .. :loveyou: .. :peace: .. :websleuther: .. :cheer: .. :grouphug:

God bless us every one!

Very nice Born. Your heartfelt words are shared by all of us.

Wow - good find - trying very hard to not read try and "read the tea leaves"... But it's hard!!

Per Twitter:

Tamara Gibbs ABC11 ‏@TGibbsABC11 2m
Jury in #AbaroaTrial already asking questions. They've made a list of items they want to see. #ABC11

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 1m

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@wral 33s

Tamara Gibbs ABC11 ‏@TGibbsABC11 25m

Tamara Gibbs ABC11 ‏@TGibbsABC11 14m

#AbaroaTrial jury also asking for crime scene photos, photos of couple's SUV. They'll watch video of police interview in court. #ABC11

https://twitter.com/abc11_wtvd

So what are you all doing to keep on top of when/if the jury comes back today? Refreshing the WRAL site every 15 mins or so, or what?

So what are you all doing to keep on top of when/if the jury comes back today? Refreshing the WRAL site every 15 mins or so, or what?

That's pretty much what I'm doing. On both WRAL.com and WTVD.com. I declare in the past it seems that there was a camera in the courtroom but not streaming--just a 'jury deliberating' sign up on the screen. And we knew when the verdict was announced because we watched it--I so well remember the flat affect of both Jason Young and Brad Cooper. Jason Young used to blink, about 1,000 times a second, and during the reading of the verdict he didn't even blink.

The 911 call was given to the jurors to review as they seen fit in the deliberation room, they were given a boom box.

The video recording that was found in a camera when he was arrested in Idaho, when Raven video taped his conversation with Investigator Sole and then taped himself stating he needed to win Three Million dollars so he could use 2 million to fight Websleuths and the interwebz people and some of it to for the care of Kaiden and then as an afterthought...an afterthought he would dedicate some of the winning to make Janet's name more recognized at Southern Virginia, was shown in open court with the jurors present.

The rest of the evidence was allowed to go back to the deliberation room, including the clothing with a stipulation they needed to wear gloves when handling it, I was told.

Ha ha - I should have read your post before commenting. But I think the items they asked for show they are taking their job seriously, and want to be sure he is guilty.

OK - this is NOT a condemnation of the state, because they brought it all home yesterday. I have watched another trial where the state left a lot of things in the air - left you wondering what they were talking about. In this case, I (and I think some others) were worried about the outcome until yesterday. For me, that left room early on to listen to the defense and wonder about the actual proof the state had. It's easy to start forming an opinion as the case goes on, only at the last minute have it all turned on it's head.
I know - better late than never, but IMO it makes the partially formed opinion harder to overcome. Or maybe, I'm just one of those peeps who need to have it all spelled out for me as we go along.
When a fabulous closing like yesterday's comes along, (to borrow a phrase) it scrambles my brain. I'm thinking, "Why didn't I see that when it was presented? What else did I miss?" It makes me second guess myself.
It's probably just the style that bothers me. Maybe I'm pouting that the state made me worry all the way through this trial, knowing they had a good chunk in their hip pocket all along. lol
Whatever it takes is what it takes. I just hope the jury didn't have a mindset that was hard to overcome. Makes the hill with the gold at the top that much harder to climb. I hope yesterday's closing erased any thought they had of Raven's innocence.
Praying for wisdom for them.

This is all probably just nerves - so disregard. Just needed to talk it out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back