MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer trial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 24 June 2016 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are some notes in that link of what happened.

"
Update 11:45 p.m. - Judge Dennis Markley agreed to move the trial back to Horry County and try to pick a jury for the September trial.

Update 11:35 p.m. - Judge Dennis Markley refused to bar evidence related to Heather Elvis’ possible pregnancy from being used during trial. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t change his ruling in the future based on what is said during the trial. The defense argued for that evidence to be banned as it was not relevant to the alleged crime.

Update 11 a.m. - Judge Markley Dennis grew angry with the state as they argued about comments made by Sidney’ Moorer’s civil lawyer ahead of trial. Sidney Moorer’s civil attorney Eric Poston has made previous statements about Sidney’s innocence. State attorneys objected to those comments and filed charges. There is a gag order that prevents the sides from publicly speaking about the criminal case. The judge decided to continue a decision on contempt charges against Poston until a later date, so he can hire a lawyer to represent him.

"

Sidney Moorer in Horry County court ahead of kidnapping trial

Just want to see if I'm following this correctly. Is this saying the rapper attorney needs to get an attorney because he violated the gag order?

Just want to see if I'm following this correctly. Is this saying the rapper attorney needs to get an attorney because he violated the gag order?

Yes I think that is about right.

The state filed contempt charges against the rapper attorney because he was publicly claiming SM is innocent, and there is a standing order on both sides to not talk about the case.
Instead of ruling on that contempt charge the judge is allowing time for the Defense attorney to get his own lawyer.

We cant make this stuff up. :) Its too bizarre not to be real.

I don't like his attitude, but he's got the Moorer's number and has sentenced them to the most he can every time.

True for SM but for TM we did have a different judge (Judge Benjamin Culbertson) that time.

SM's original judge is now back for SM's new trial.

I was surprised in SM's first trial that even though the judge appeared to befriend SM by shaking his hand right in the courtroom, when it came to sentencing I was really surprised he threw the book at him.

This judge seems unpredictable and scary to me. The way he admonished the Prosecutor during the first trial was shocking to me. Literally cut off her closing arguments before she could finish and basically told her to stop and sit down. It was really bizarre. Never saw that happen before in a trial. I have seen warnings about time limits for closing arguments and things like that but never saw a judge stop a lawyer in their tracks during closing arguments where they could not finish.

True for SM but for TM we did have a different judge (Judge Benjamin Culbertson) that time.

SM's original judge is now back for SM's new trial.

I was surprised in SM's first trial that even though the judge appeared to befriend SM by shaking his hand right in the courtroom, when it came to sentencing I was really surprised he threw the book at him.

This judge seems unpredictable and scary to me. The way he admonished the Prosecutor during the first trial was shocking to me. Literally cut off her closing arguments before she could finish and basically told her to stop and sit down. It was really bizarre. Never saw that happen before in a trial. I have seen warnings about time limits for closing arguments and things like that but never saw a judge stop a lawyer in their tracks during closing arguments where they could not finish.

Wow, thanks for the reminder. I don't remember Culbertson at all.

Yes I think that is about right.

The state filed contempt charges against the rapper attorney because he was publicly claiming SM is innocent, and there is a standing order on both sides to not talk about the case.
Instead of ruling on that contempt charge the judge is allowing time for the Defense attorney to get his own lawyer.

We cant make this stuff up. :) Its too bizarre not to be real.

TY for the confirmation. After his antics, he may have some difficulty finding a decent attorney to represent him.

TY for the confirmation. After his antics, he may have some difficulty finding a decent attorney to represent him.

Maybe another rapper attorney?
32x32px-LL-b944269e_01.gif

So anything happen at the hearing? Next court hearing maybe?

TIA! :)

Judge also denied defense's motion to exclude any new evidence. They wanted to stop the prosecution from adding any additional findings. Hopefully, Judge Dennis realized the perception of him favoring the defense during the last trial and will continue ruling without bias.
JMO, MOO, etc

This will be Judge Dennis Markley's last trial, he is set to retire due to health reasons. Will this influence the outcome in the retrial?

IMO, he influenced the end result of Sid's first trial, you all do remember that debacle right? There was an interview with a juror, I'll have to look back and see if I can find a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500