MN MN - Belinda VanLith, 17, Little Eagle Lake, 15 June 1974

Is anyone interested in comments made by a MN man, (deceased) while being interrogated by MN investigators in another old case, who admitted to causing Belinda VanLith's demise? and saying where her body may be during the interrogation?

This info is found in a FOIA report within another Minnesota case - Anyone want a link to view this information?

Note: How does a Minnesota member get verified? I have tried several times and seem to be denied the privilege. Here I sit broken hearted.

Is anyone interested in comments made by a MN man, (deceased) while being interrogated by MN investigators in another old case, who admitted to causing Belinda VanLith's demise? and saying where her body may be during the interrogation?

This info is found in a FOIA report within another Minnesota case - Anyone want a link to view this information?

Note: How does a Minnesota member get verified? I have tried several times and seem to be denied the privilege. Here I sit broken hearted.
Please link if you can.

HERE'S THE LINK AGAIN-
Wetterling Files - Other Investigations : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

.. he had threatened to kidnap her daughter if he did not get custody of her. she said that she eventually, with the help of her sister managed to move out of his residence when he had left town. She told me that she was aware, during the time he was gone, that he had an eighteen year old girl watch their hobby farm for them and it should be noted that this eighteen year old female has been identified as BELINDA VANLITH. She said that she was of the glrl's name at time, but that she heard that DUANE was the last person to ever see her and that there was a serious discrepancy about when he returned home. She said that it was at that time that this girl was found to be missing and has not been seen since. Page n281

She went on to say that she has had a recent conversation with DUANE CORNWELL'S present wife, who is in the process of divorcing her.. . . . CORNWELL told her that since he has been in the hospital, he has been talking about a shallow grave in an old shed and.. "that this might be where he buried the body of the eighteen year old girl fifteen years ago..." Page n282

What I do find interesting is the investigator and his line of questioning in this report.- To date Timothy Crosby, although guilty by "popular demand", has yet to charged in Belinda VanLith's murder. Belinda wasn't the "hitchhiker" type because she showed no indications of being a runaway?. and yet that person claimed the girl looked like her. What known murderers were in this area in 1974? Soon this unsolved MN case will be half a century old.

Just reminded of this thread. The problem with the Cornwell proposal is that, as I read the FOIA documents, he did not admit to causing her death but rather this was alleged by a previous wife with a dislike who based it on an alleged conversation with a current wife going through a divorce. This does not mean he is not a possibility, just that the case is less than conclusive. It should be possible to confirm his movements on the Saturday as he was meant to be returning from Nashville and I recall previous posts suggesting he had been investigated and ruled out. Given the timeline it seems likely he would have need to have returned by Saturday morning to be a viable suspect and I would assume (hope) this was checked by LE.

lead photo for part 2 in the Belinda Van Lith series

Belinda Van Lith went missing on June 15, 1974, from a home on Eagle Lake, near Monticello, Minnesota. The last known person to see her was Timothy Crosby, who is now considered a serial criminal with a history of kidnapping and sexual violence against women

St. Paul man gets a year for sex crime with minor – Twin Cities

"The search warrant affidavit filed last summer in Ramsey County District Court identified Crosby as a suspect in the death of Victoria Marie Morris, 25, who disappeared in summer 1994 and whose remains were found in Wright County in October 1994. The affidavit also stated Crosby was a suspect in the 1974 disappearance of a woman in Wright County who was staying in a cabin near Crosby’s family’s cabin." . . . . . . . .

"As part of his sentence, Crosby must register as a predatory offender; he was ordered to provide a DNA sample.
St. Paul police Sgt. Thomas Bergren, who obtained a warrant to take a DNA sample from Crosby last summer, said he considered Monday’s order an important step — the new DNA sample will be entered in national and state databases, and police will be able to check it against a wider range of unidentified DNA samples.

Police did not get “hits” between Crosby’s saliva sample taken last summer and known evidence in the cold cases, but Crosby hasn’t been eliminated as a suspect, Bergren said."

This June will mark 50 years missing:

belinda_vanlith_1.jpg
vanlith_belinda2.jpg

Belinda Kay Van Lith, age 17
Missing since 15 June 1974
LINK:
charleyproject.org/case/belinda-kay-vanlith

This June will mark 50 years missing:

belinda_vanlith_1.jpg
vanlith_belinda2.jpg

Belinda Kay Van Lith, age 17
Missing since 15 June 1974
LINK:
charleyproject.org/case/belinda-kay-vanlith

The 50 year old case of Belinda Van Lith
Note:
Belinda's siblings requested that the Sheriff's office officially close their sister's case. This would open up the case for so that any member of the public, like a reporter with The Vault or another certain true crime podcast, or even the siblings themselves could obtain records without a fight. And believe it or not, the Sheriff's office agreed. - The Deck-Part 1

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back