MN MN - Goodhue, Unidentified Body of elderly white man found in unmarked grave in 1984.

The farm where this unidentified man was found in 1984 and the farm house near by has its own history, although this is only an "outline" with known dates and owners/tenants. Here is what I have found in census and land records:

In 1894, that farm was owned by John A. Peterson (1837 - 1901) and his wife Anna H. (Swanson) Peterson (1835 - 1921) They had a son: Victor H. Peterson (1879 - 1960)

In 1926, the farm was owned by Nels C. Swanson (1860 - 1939). He also owned other farms in the area, and probably did not live there. He and his family are buried in the Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery due north of that farm house.

Gustavus Newman (1826 - 1878) and his wife Emelia Swanson Newman (1831 - 1918) owned the land just south of this one from the 1870's through at least 1894. The Newman family did not live in the house in question, but but may have managed/rented it out. Possible son and his wife were: Ericus Thaddeus Newman (1865 - 1929) and Emelia I. Louise Newman (1867 - 1928) All are buried in the Swedish Methodist Cemetery just north of the farm, along with other Newman family members.

A family who rented the house in question and lived there probably some time previous to 1929:
Henry William Banidt (1882 - 1966) and wife Anne Christine (Raasch) Banidt (1887 - 1961) Their Sons:
Raymond William Banidt (1911 - 1965) and Lester Frederick Banidt (1912 - 1994)

From 1929 to 1944, that farm house was home of:
Clarence T. Opsahl (1907 - 1988) and his wife Lucille Lydia (Bremer) Opsahl (1909 - 1996) and their young children.

A family named Decker rented the house and lived there at some point (probably after the Opsahls) along with a succession of 10 other families.

I wonder if they ever tried to track down at the time any living former owners or renters or their descendants, families, etc, and see if they had any info that would shed light on the discovery of these remains. Even today, there might be old family stories that might be connected with this. Distant descendants maybe less likely to not mention anything they might know of, as they wouldn't be involved or be able to be blamed, and might be less inclined to cover up or protect the reputation or memory of ancestors they didn't know or didn't know well. The best chance to solve this mystery, though, is definitely finding this man's remains, if possible, and then doing genetic genealogy.

I wonder if they ever tried to track down at the time any living former owners or renters or their descendants, families, etc, and see if they had any info that would shed light on the discovery of these remains. Even today, there might be old family stories that might be connected with this. Distant descendants maybe less likely to not mention anything they might know of, as they wouldn't be involved or be able to be blamed, and might be less inclined to cover up or protect the reputation or memory of ancestors they didn't know or didn't know well. The best chance to solve this mystery, though, is definitely finding this man's remains, if possible, and then doing genetic genealogy.

The Sheriff in 1984 stated to the press that former residents and neighbors would be contacted in an effort to identify the man. Obviously the effort was unsuccessful.

Today, with the case being maybe 90 to 100 years old, very few people are still living who would have any direct knowledge of what happened. But that said, it is indeed possible that family stories may have been handed down which could shed some light on it.

Goodhue Depot to Open August 5th - Goodhue-Bellechester Messenger

The Goodhue Railroad station (built 1889) has been mentioned in previous posts here. Over the past few years, there has been a major restoration/renovation effort underway to preserve the building and it has now been opened to the public as the Goodhue Depot Coffee Shop. Here is a link to KSTP TV's interview with owner Carolyn Ryan on 25 October 2023...

LINKS:

Clay pit mining in an area known as "Clay Bank" near Goodhue Township provided work for many men who came to the area. The clay was abundant and of high quality for making sewer pipes and various types of Crockery for food storage and production. It was supplied to the Red Wing Potteries by a special train route that passed through Goodhue.

Census records show that many clay pit workers lived in boarding houses in the county, and that one such place was not far from the farm where this unidentified man's body was found.

LINK:

If theres an namus or a website for him that could also be helpful but as i actually see this man could've died between as stated 1924- 1932 (someone else said so im not right) but the thing that reached out to me was the date if this guy was said to be burried 50-60 years ago before he was discovered maybe this man was either young or he was actually an old guy when he was killed because he was defentily killed i don't think he could have done it himself but after searching through everything i wanna say he was 65-70 when he die since theres a big gap and his teeth are missing i wanna say hes near that type not sure but this is what i got

If theres an namus or a website for him that could also be helpful but as i actually see this man could've died between as stated 1924- 1932 (someone else said so im not right) but the thing that reached out to me was the date if this guy was said to be burried 50-60 years ago before he was discovered maybe this man was either young or he was actually an old guy when he was killed because he was defentily killed i don't think he could have done it himself but after searching through everything i wanna say he was 65-70 when he die since theres a big gap and his teeth are missing i wanna say hes near that type not sure but this is what i got
There are a lot of unknowns with this case. One problem is the lack of an exact date of death and burial. Best guess from what has been reported is that he died some time between 1924 and 1934, but that is based only on initial forensic estimates.

The bones were sent in 1984 to the Anthropology Department at Hamline University for further analysis, but I have been unable to date to determine if any more study was done on them, or exactly where they reside today.

I have attempted to contact Hamline University and have requested further information from them concerning this man.

Census and land records do offer some clues, but they are few and far between. The farm on which this man's remains were found changed hands several times during the 20th century and there were a number of different tenants who lived there as renters.

A family named Banidt was living in the house there in 1920 (US census records). In 1926, the farm was owned by a man named Nels Swanson, who did not live in the house, but rather rented it out to tenants. From 1929 to 1944, a family named Opsahl lived in the house (they are listed in the 1930 US census).

Based on all of the above, it is my opinion that this man's death probably occurred some time between the tenancies of the Banidt and Opsahl families. Rough estimate from this information: between 1926 and 1929.

Inviting your attention to my post number 15 of this thread - concerning a January 1929 raid in Goodhue to locate illegal liquor activities and prosecute violators (in the wake of a man's alcohol related death) - and to stated memories of persons who believed that the farm house in question was involved in "bootlegging", I feel that a closer estimate for this man's death and burial might be 1928 to early 1929.

My theory is that he was either murdered, or simply died and his death would have caused unwanted attention to illegal liquor activities - thus the secret and hasty burial.

Last edited:
There are a lot of unknowns with this case. One problem is the lack of an exact date of death and burial. Best guess from what has been reported is that he died some time between 1924 and 1934, but that is based only on initial forensic estimates.

The bones were sent in 1984 to the Anthropology Department at Hamline University for further analysis, but I have been unable to date to determine if any more study was done on them, or exactly where they reside today.

I have attempted to contact Hamline University and have requested further information from them concerning this man.

Census and land records do offer some clues, but they are few and far between. The farm on which this man's remains were found changed hands several times during the 20th century and there were a number of different tenants who lived there as renters.

A family named Banidt was living in the house there in 1920. In 1926, the farm was owned by a man named Nels Swanson, who did not live in the house, but rather rented it out to tenants. From 1929 to 1944, a family named Opsahl lived in the house (they are listed in the 1930 US census).

Based on all of the above, it is my opinion that this man's death probably occurred some time between the tenancies of the Banidt and Opsahl families. Rough estimate from this information; between 1926 and 1929.

Inviting you attention to my post number 15 of this thread - concerning a January 1929 raid in Goodhue to locate illegal liquor activities and prosecute violators - and to stated memories of persons who believed that the farm house in question was involved in "bootlegging", I feel that a closer estimate for this man's death and burial might be 1928 to early 1929.
im a family tree type of person and im new to doing this stuff but i love researching but we still wouldn't know and i'm going to go back and see if theres a date when he was discovered this may not help us much but we can determine dates along the way I reread your 1st post the one about this whole case now what sticked out to me was the teeth said it was a consistent ones of a typical farmer if that is true then he was a farmer problem is was this man actually in the house or died and no one found him again? because whoever this man is had to be atleast 60-70 atleast... but only his skull was found right? no other bones?

Last edited:
im a family tree type of person and im new to doing this stuff but i love researching but we still wouldn't know and i'm going to go back and see if theres a date when he was discovered this may not help us much but we can determine dates along the way I reread your 1st post the one about this whole case now what sticked out to me was the teeth said it was a consistent ones of a typical farmer if that is true then he was a farmer problem is was this man actually in the house or died and no one found him again? because whoever this man is had to be atleast 60-70 atleast... but only his skull was found right? no other bones?
A complete skeleton was found in 1984, buried in a shallow grave in a sitting or crouched position. He was only 1 to 2 feet below the surface.

In my first post to this thread, I quote the entire initial newspaper article on the finding of the body.

In my post number 11, I quote directly from the initial autopsy report contained in the Sheriff's file on this case.

The skeleton was sent to the Anthropology Department of Hamline University for further study in 1984.

A complete skeleton was found in 1984, buried in a shallow grave in a sitting or crouched position. He was only 1 to 2 feet below the surface.

In my first post to this thread, I quote the entire initial newspaper article on the finding of the body.

In my post number 11, I quote directly from the initial autopsy report contained in the Sheriff's file on this case.

The skeleton was sent to the Anthropology Department of Hamline University for further study in 1984.
hmm i'll just start with a basic small detail really what i could get (Someone i believe mention this before) it stated that it was done in a rush but he would've been burried 50-60 years ago. before discovery which makes me wonder why was it in a hurry? and im not really good or knowing how long it takes for a human body to go into just bones really im thinking He was killed BEFORE placed in that position but i don't think he was killed there prob killed somewhere else and then someone rushed and burried they either someone was coming or they heared someone.. (I think this matches up with the storyline not really sure) Then they found the body in 1984 its surpsing he was only 1-2 feet below surface this makes me believe He was placed there. and put in that position before dying most likey he was killed i don't believe he died of natural causes or others due to the fact he couldn't bury himself or an explanntion on why he was in the position.. (i just realize how much this is)

Most residents of the Goodhue area were of Swedish, Norwegian, German, or Irish heritage. If Hamline University were to do some genetic DNA analysis on the bones of this unknown man, perhaps he might some day be identified.

Most residents of the Goodhue area were of Swedish, Norwegian, German, or Irish heritage. If Hamline University were to do some genetic DNA analysis on the bones of this unknown man, perhaps he might some day be identified.
yea but the #1 comment i believe.. teeths like a farmer maybe he was a farmer before he died really if he was that could help us a bit

Hamline University Anthropology Department has confirmed that they did do a study of the bones found in Goodhue in 1984. According to an official at Hamline, the case rests with the Medical Examiner's Office of Hennepin County, MN.

It was the Medical Examiner of Hennepin County who did the autopsy report quoted in my earlier post #11.

I have contacted the ME office in an attempt to learn the disposition of the remains and any further information they might provide.

I spoke with an official of the Hennepin ME office today regarding this case. They do, in fact hold the remains and records and will be reviewing it all in coming months. We discussed the possibility of DNA analysis being done.

After further review, it is possible that jurisdiction on this case will be returned to the Goodhue County Sheriff Office.

Perhaps the most difficult part of this case is the wide range of time in which death and burial may have occurred.

The body was discovered in 1984, and early estimates at the time placed the death as occurring some time between 20 and 80 years prior. This was later refined by the Medical Examiner to be more like 60 to 80 years prior to discovery.

Yet another estimate stated:
"The condition of the bones indicated that they had been in the ground for "a moderately long length of time". "This would be on the order of from 20 to 100 years, but probably within the middle range of this estimate, probably 50 to 60 years buried would be a good estimated time".

This would roughly place the time frame between 1924 and 1934.

Hopefully a new study of the remains, using more modern methods will result in a more closely refined estimate of the time of death.

As far as the "Chain of Custody" of this unknown man's bones are concerned, they were found in 1984 in the jurisdiction of the Goodhue County Sheriff, but because Goodhue County did not have a certified Medical Examiner, they were transferred to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner who conducted an autopsy. Following the initial autopsy report, the bones were sent to Hamline University's Anthropology Department for further study and analysis, where they resided for 40 years.

All this time, however, the case was in the jurisdiction and and purview of the Hennepin County ME. This year, those remains (along with a number of other Hennepin County case remains) were retrieved by Hennepin County ME from Hamline, along with any and all files. The ME will review each case and determine if any further tests or analysis are in order. Consideration will also be given toward possibly returning some of those cases (remains and files) back to their original jurisdictions.

Here is an interesting 2015 article about the kind of work done at Hamline University:

Anyone interested in doing some historical research about Goodhue County might find this link useful:

really im thinking He was killed BEFORE placed in that position but i don't think he was killed there prob killed somewhere else and then someone rushed and burried they either someone was coming or they heared someone..
We have no evidence he was killed. He may very well have been buried in a shallow grave because whoever buried him didn’t have the physical strength to bury him deeper.

He may also have been denied burial in the cemetery for some reason (suicide would be a common reason; also, in some faiths, not having been baptized).

We have no evidence he was killed. He may very well have been buried in a shallow grave because whoever buried him didn’t have the physical strength to bury him deeper.

He may also have been denied burial in the cemetery for some reason (suicide would be a common reason; also, in some faiths, not having been baptized).

It is true that no cause of death has been identified for this unidentified man. He could have died from any number of causes. The fact that he suffered a broken nose a short time before death could be an indication that he suffered the injury in the course of an attack or violence. Hopefully a new study of the remains could suggest cause of death.

It is also true that some church cemeteries were reserved especially for their own members, but IF a church had denied someone burial, it would be generally known by people in the area. Goodhue does have a municipal cemetery where he could have been buried without the need for any church approval.

This was a hasty, secret, and improper burial in any case, and as such would indicate that this man's death could be a homicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fitriawastuti
Back