MN MN - Jackie Theel, 6, Paynesville, 5 Sept 1944

The map in the story refers to the railroad north of Paynesville as the "Soo Line". While this is now the official name of that railroad, back in 1940 it was the line's popular nickname. The official name in 1940 was "Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and Sault (pronounced Soo) Saint Marie". It would be interesting to see what the train schedule was like for that line back on 5 September, 1940. Quite possibly it had regular stops that were published in the newspapers.
Even though the local police claim to have no files going back to 1940, it is most likely that the FBI was involved in the case because this was likely a kidnapping, and the FBI was automatically involved in ANY kidnapping case after the Lindbergh baby had been abducted. This would mean that files should be available from the FBI with a proper Freedom of Information Act request.
Regarding the address of Mr. Fay Theel, that is probably an accurate one, since the story relates that he still lives near Highway 23 and Paynesville. Richmond, MN is only a few miles up Hwy 23 from Paynesville.

Richard! I am overwhelmed by all your theories- my brain just doesnt work that quickly! I hate to think of him being thrown from a train, but of course it may have happened. The cross referencing of missing people/bodies found is not even at its best today, so it is a distinct possibility that he may have turned up somewhere else, in another state even. He also may have turned up alive somewhere else- which is a much nicer thought................

I wonder if Jackies family have considered putting up a website- although it mind not yeild Jackie himself (although, as we don't know what happened to him, it obviously might) it might well jog someones memory about something they saw or someone they knew............

Richard said:
Regarding the address of Mr. Fay Theel, that is probably an accurate one, since the story relates that he still lives near Highway 23 and Paynesville. Richmond, MN is only a few miles up Hwy 23 from Paynesville.
Perhaps we should send one Theel's contact info to the other?

An interesting book about 21 Prisoner of War Camps located in Minnesota
during World War II is "Our War Effort: Swords into Plowshares" by Dean Simmons. The book mentions the extreme manpower shortage in Minnesota in 1944, and how enemy Prisoners of War worked alongside Migrant Workers to assist in the fall harvest.
Besides the local populace, there were many temporary residents throughout the state.

Link
http://www.stthomas.edu/magazine/showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=-1611985779

Jackie Theel is/ was my uncle. My father, Tom D. Theel, was the brother that was to walk him home for lunch the day he went missing, and while growing up we would travel to MN. from Florida to visit with my grand-parents. Each time we neared Paynesville he (my father) would talk about the day uncle Jackie disappeared and the "cloud" that hung over the family and the mystery around the disappearance. When he would speak his voice would sometimes break, and you could hear the sadness in his tone. He would occasionally talk of some of the rumors that followed the story too. I guess, looking back in retrospect, this could be why we were so guarded as children. If anyone can help me find more information and history on this case it would be greatly appreciated. It would give me some peace of mind maybe get answers to some of the questions that 1) were never pursued or 2) were never asked. My f ather passed away March 22, 2004, so I can’t get more info from him, but I have spoken with my mother, and she too agrees that my search for answers "is what daddy would want".

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

SPC Gary L. Theel, IAARNG

1900 Cedar St. Apt. E-104

Norwalk, IA 50211

515-865-1199

gary.l.theel@us.army.mil

gltheel@hotmail.com

Gary,

I wish you all the best in your search for what happened with your uncle. His story is heartbreaking. Please keep us updated as you continue your search.

englishleigh said:
...and came up with this:

Theel, Jackie
1829 Harvard Ave
Independence, MO 64052-3823
(816) 833-0061

Hmmm....
Thank You For the lead. Much to my regret it was yet another dead-end. This Jackie Theel is a 28 y/o female. However, I'm pretty she she is curious about this case now too.
Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

I did a search for Jackie's name on NewspaperArchive and came up with nada. Nothing for Jackie Theel, Victor Theel, or Victor John Theel. Same with NewsLibrary. It seems that the Doe Network casefile, the Charley Project casefile, that one news article, and web boards like these are the only traces Jackie has on the internet. Sigh...maybe his family should make a web site.

Gary,
You might start by sending a "Freedom of Information Act Request" to the FBI to see what kind of files they might have on your uncle Jackie's case. I do not know for certain that they were involved, but it is quite possible since the Lindburgh kidnapping preceeded it, and it led to legislation which made the FBI involved in any kidnapping case.
Also, try contacting Michael Jacobson of the Paynesville newspaper. He researched and wrote the article quoted in this thread, and it is quite possible that he has more information and copies of the origional news stories in his files.
Best of luck to you in your search.

Gary L. Theel said:
Jackie Theel is/ was my uncle. My father, Tom D. Theel, was the brother that was to walk him home for lunch the day he went missing, and while growing up we would travel to MN. from Florida to visit with my grand-parents. Each time we neared Paynesville he (my father) would talk about the day uncle Jackie disappeared and the "cloud" that hung over the family and the mystery around the disappearance. When he would speak his voice would sometimes break, and you could hear the sadness in his tone. He would occasionally talk of some of the rumors that followed the story too. I guess, looking back in retrospect, this could be why we were so guarded as children. If anyone can help me find more information and history on this case it would be greatly appreciated. It would give me some peace of mind maybe get answers to some of the questions that 1) were never pursued or 2) were never asked. My f ather passed away March 22, 2004, so I can’t get more info from him, but I have spoken with my mother, and she too agrees that my search for answers "is what daddy would want".

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

SPC Gary L. Theel, IAARNG

1900 Cedar St. Apt. E-104

Norwalk, IA 50211

515-865-1199

gary.l.theel@us.army.mil

gltheel@hotmail.com

Richard said:
Gary,
You might start by sending a "Freedom of Information Act Request" to the FBI to see what kind of files they might have on your uncle Jackie's case. I do not know for certain that they were involved, but it is quite possible since the Lindburgh kidnapping preceeded it, and it led to legislation which made the FBI involved in any kidnapping case.
Also, try contacting Michael Jacobson of the Paynesville newspaper. He researched and wrote the article quoted in this thread, and it is quite possible that he has more information and copies of the origional news stories in his files.
Best of luck to you in your search.
Richard,
Thank You for your continued support. I have contacted the MN. division of the FBI, unfortunatly I have met yet another dead-end. They have NO RECORD of this case in either electric or hard copy file form. However they did point me in the direction of the FBI offices in Washington DC, and said they may have it archived, because it is so old. So.... I am now waiting for a reply from them. I am also giving serious thoughts to getting UNSOLVED MYSTERIES involved to see if they can turn up information that we have not or can not. Please keep digging for info. all leads are being actively pursued in this search for answers. Again, THANK YOU ALL for your assistance in this matter.

I've recieved a reply from both FBI Headquarters in Washington DC and The National Archival Records Division of the FBI in Maryland and there is NO RECORD or report on file in any form. I was refered to The Department of Justice witch is also in Maryland to search for records there. So far, NO LUCK. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be welcomed and appreciated. AS ALWAYS THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP YOU"VE GIVEN UP TO THIS POINT!!!

Gary L. Theel said:
I've recieved a reply from both FBI Headquarters in Washington DC and The National Archival Records Division of the FBI in Maryland and there is NO RECORD or report on file in any form. I was refered to The Department of Justice witch is also in Maryland to search for records there. So far, NO LUCK. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be welcomed and appreciated. AS ALWAYS THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP YOU"VE GIVEN UP TO THIS POINT!!!
The FBI's response to you was very fast. A good indication that they are blowing you off, rather than actually doing any searching of the archives. Remember that this is an organization that would still be looking for the Unibomber if the Washington Post and NY Times had complied with their request to keep his "Manefisto" out of print.

The Minnesota FBI Office is quite correct to direct you to Washington DC, since their records probably only go back a few years locally. The National Archives at Suitland, MD or College Park, MD would probably be where the FBI file on Jackie is kept - if it was investigated by them, and if it still exists. There are some pretty good archive researchers and employees who could help you find something.

The problem would be coming up with the proper case file number to begin with. With that number, you could direct a specific request for it. Some records can only be viewed if first cleared by an FBI Point of Contact. The Archives could tell you specifically who that person is and what his address and phone number are. The FBI is a huge organization, and most of its employees would have no idea who you really need to speak with or what kind of records are held.

Perhaps a search of Minnesota newspaper archives would get you more information. They might indicate if the FBI was involved and might even identify the agent in charge of the investigation.

What information do the Minnesota State Police have on the case? I would think that after the local police had searched for a time, that they would have contacted the State Police.

Richard - I have volunteered to check the local newspapers (St Cloud and Paynesville) archives, but haven't been able to do so yet. I will be posting whatever new articles I find.

I have spoken with some of my family and little to my knowledge my grand-mother kept a scrapbook on this entire case. We (my mother and I) are trying now to find out who ended up with the scrapbook, when grandma passed away. But my mom says she very distictly recalls seeing an artical in this scrapbook that states that the FBI and the State Police were both involved. I have told my family about the incredible out pouring of assistance I have recieved from all of you, and they have asked me to express thier gratitude as well. When we finally figure out what has happened in this very mysterious case, I assure you all, that your help in this mattere WILL NOT go untold nor un-noticed.
AS ALWAYS THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

PaulaKay said:
Richard - I have volunteered to check the local newspapers (St Cloud and Paynesville) archives, but haven't been able to do so yet. I will be posting whatever new articles I find.
PaulaKay,
There is probably an index available at one of your major libraries which lists "Newspaper Holdings" for the many various cities and villages in Minnesota. Such a book would be of great assistance in locating microfilm or bound copies of old newspapers. Check out a map of Stearns County (St. Cloud is the County seat) and Kandioyohi County (Wilmar is County Seat) to see what towns are in the vicinity of Paynesville and compare it to the Newspaper index to see what papers might have covered Jackie's disappearance.

Meeker County (Litchfield is the County Seat) is adjacent to both Stearns and Kandioyohi Counties, and towns there might also have covered the story in their local papers.

The county police (sheriff?) records in those counties might also hold some information.

Besides looking for stories about Jackie's disappearance, you might look for daily train schedules for the day that he went missing, to determine when the trains passed through Paynesville, and which way they were headed. The main line which passed through Paynesville was the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault St. Marie RR. It was popularly referred to as "The Soo Line" even then.

Jackie's scent was followed to the Railroad by tracking dogs, where they lost it. It is posible that he may have been abducted by one of the migrants or hobos who traveled the rails back then.

Best of luck in your research.

Today, I recieved a call from the archival department at the Department of Justice. The gentelman I spoke with informed me that he had completed a search of the records at both the Department of Justice and the FBI archives and much to my disappointment found, (you guessed it):banghead: NO RECORD :furious: or any further information on this matter. The editor of the Paynesville Press and I have spoken a couple of times, both on the phone and via e-mail. He assures me that he too is compileing the notes and information he has and is going to forward them to me :eek: . With any luck, after the research is done, we will find some resolution to this matter.

Hi Gary,
What an amazing story! Let me add my luck wishes to you in your search. I had another thought - were there any army bases nearby in 1944? I know the military is often more secretive than the government authorities in these matters but that may be a lead worth pursuing, if your family really believes he was abducted. One other person also mentioned the fact that a solider may get out of the army if he has a dependant - were any soliders discharged at that time for that reason? Or a more sinister reason?
Perhaps if there were any soldiers dishonourably discharged around the same time, or if it's at all possible to access records listing disciplinary action taken against soldiers, maybe there's a clue there?
Good luck!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back