MN - Katherine Olson, 24, dies in Craigslist killing, Savage, 25 Oct 2007

ugh. every time i look at this jerks picture i want to smack him. after i give him a haircut and pop that huge zit on his face. YUCK. he just looks like a GROSS person.

This is really sad. She seemed like a really sweet person. :-(
haha!!! I was thinking the same thing about that ZIT! I keep looking for updates on this story and there is nothing new!

I purchased tickets for a concert a couple of weeks ago on Craigslist. The concert was for that evening and I had to go and pick the tickets up. When I spoke to the seller, it was a woman so it put my mind at ease a little bit. Still, as we all know here, you never know. Anyway, I met her in the parking lot of a grocery store. I told my co-worker's her name, email address, cell phone number and the location we were meeting. I had her email because she emailed me back about the price and sent me her cell phone number so I could call her when I got close.

(ETA: As I speculated on Steve's blog entry, I bet he will be revealed to be "disturbed".) What do you want to bet, that it will come out that neighborhood pets and/or wildlife were found mutilated and dead where this guy was growing up? I don't think he just woke up one day and decided to find out what killing humans was like. I think it was a years long progression, starting with tormenting pets/wildlife, and escalating from there.

KatK, I couldn't agree with you more.

According to his dating site this was his response as far as animals were concerned:
[SIZE=+0]Animal lover:[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Somewhat[/SIZE]

Craigslist is another mess online at times, many LE depts are already onto it. That and the myspace. They are like catalogs for sickos. One of our local police depts does awareness talks at schools so that kids will be more wary of the dangers; and if they are going to have a myspace, set it to private, etc.

Was a nanny's murderer aided by Craigslist?
2007.10.29 • 17:46 EST

" Authorities later arrested a 19-year-old man whom they say placed the Craigslist ad. Savage police Capt. David Muelken told reporters, "We're confident we have the suspect in custody."

This is Craigslist's first murder. Obviously a grim milestone, but also amazing that it's the first in more than 450 million ads placed on the site during the last 12 years.

I asked a representative for tips on how people can be safe on the site. I got back some common-sensical guidelines:

* Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
* Tell a friend or family member where you're going
* Take your cellphone along if you have one
* Consider having a friend accompany you
* Trust your instincts"

One of the comments to that article is of interest and an idea I had never thought of:
"I meet strangers in a bank.
There are lots of cameras, someone has a gun and it's hard to be crazy. It's a good place to transact post-online business."

are they SURE this was the first craigslist murder? because i thought i have heard of others...

I think you're right. I've updated my blog entry with credit to you, filly, for finding it.

Thanks,

Steve/Mr. A

No problem Mr. A. You didn't have to credit me. That's interesting though he didn't have one person connect with him. Then again maybe not as I am not familiar with those dating site things.

are they SURE this was the first craigslist murder? because i thought i have heard of others...

I thought i had heard of others, too; yet when i googled this latest one is what comes up. I know there was quite a few involving myspace, so i'm sure there's more than this one with craigslist.
People really need to be aware of who they are talking to online; it's too risky and anyone can just say they are anyone.
Back in the day, people had penpals and written mail was more personal; to me post mail is much more personal still. These younger generations are brought up on the computer, i'm not sure if all of them understand the difference. It may be personal to them since it's all they've known, not being around before the internet age.

Friend thought it would be funny??? WTF??

I think you've misread... according to the article on the fox link above, Anderson CLAIMS the friend did the killing:

<snip>
When confronted with evidence, Anderson then admitted he was there during Olson's murder, but that she was killed by a friend of his who "thought it would be funny," according to the complaint.

More here: Charges in nanny-ad slaying possible today

snip....Steve McCutchan, 20, said authorities questioned him Saturday about the suspect. Authorities told him the suspect was arrested in the death of Katherine Ann Olson, but didn't specify his role, McCutchan said.

This Steve McCutchan kid, is also on a dating site saying he's moved and would like to meet a nice girl. The usual BS, but I kept looking and here he is on a forum that's frankly freaky. Unless it's another bmx24racer out there in Minnesota I'd take a guess. Beware of the link as it's just well in my opinion a freaky forum. Oh and the kid joined the forum on October 22!http://www.fleshlight.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15172

I think you've misread... according to the article on the fox link above, Anderson CLAIMS the friend did the killing:

<snip>
When confronted with evidence, Anderson then admitted he was there during Olson's murder, but that she was killed by a friend of his who "thought it would be funny," according to the complaint.
That's what I meant - this idiot is saying supposedly his friend killed her because he thought it would be "funny". Steve's site has the arrest warrant - it was very interesting. This guy sure didn't do a good job covering his tracks. It's like he wanted to be caught! All of the emails, cell phone records, blood all over his house and probably one of the DUMBEST things I've heard of - a bloody towel with his freaking name on it!! Hmmm - wow - hope this is a jury trial - not too much evidence against him!

this was on one of his friends myspace
Steve's Friends Comments Displaying 49 of 91 comments ( View All | Add Comment ) ali

Oct 30 2007 1:26 PM

hey, call me this evening around 7. i need to ask you something kind of important. ali

Oct 30 2007 11:13 AM

well steve. mike admits to playing a big part in the murder. but he says they did'nt plan on killing her. he said that a freind was with him and his freind was the one who thought it would be funny to shoot her in the back. i have totally suspected that someone else is involved. the media is making it sound like he is convicted of shooting her and we are all safe. that is bull *advertiser censored*. there is still someone else out there who had the guts to shoot an innocent, unarmed woman in the back. they better be trying to figure it out. until the rest of this story surfaces you guard anesah and jordan(when you can) with your life. keep track of them with texting. PLEASE DON'T LET THEM GO ANYWHERE ALONE! tell us if jo is doing something unusual or strange. PLEASE. i'm really worried. because it is probably

That's very interesting! Who is this person writing these things?

I think it's the first murder, but not the first illegal act committed via craigslist. I remember reading about prostitution rings, one involving at least one underaged girl and a few rapes and robberies, but this is the first murder I recall.

I don't blame craigslist 100% on this, but they do have a responsibility to protect their users. In this case, they couldn't have guessed this "man" would murder this young woman. But, they don't tend to do much about prostitutes and scam artists posting ads on their site.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back