MN - Memory Pachowicz, 33, St Paul, 12 March 2005

Very sad. It sounds like the story has now changed from a maroon 2 or 4 door SEDAN to a maroon VAN.

That makes it easier. Maroon vans, around here, are pretty scarce. Hopefully they'll catch whoever did this to her.

I feel so bad for her kids. Hopefully, they get the scum who did this. Only good thing was the puppy survived.

This is so sad. I feel so terrible for her poor children...how sad they had to lose their mother this way. May she rest in peace.

I hope they catch the person responsible for taking the young mothers life.

To Admin - sorry I posted this in the wrong thread to begin with, I will be sure to do it correctly the next time. However due to the sad fact they found Memory's body this weekend, should this thread be moved to the "Located" thread?? If so please feel free to do so. Thank you in advance.

Misty

MistyGirl said:
To Admin - sorry I posted this in the wrong thread to begin with, I will be sure to do it correctly the next time. However due to the sad fact they found Memory's body this weekend, should this thread be moved to the "Located" thread?? If so please feel free to do so. Thank you in advance.

Misty

This is fine Misty..since this forum if for the discussion of both the missing and the located :)

Last update: March 15, 2005 at 7:06 AM
Man arrested in missing woman's death also was held in February sex assault

Howie Padilla, Star Tribune March 15, 2005 MEMORY0315

The St. Paul man who called police to report that he had discovered the body of Memory Pachowicz is considered the prime suspect in her death, authorities said.

Police arrested the man hours after he reported finding the body Saturday afternoon. He had been held in connection with a Feb. 19 sexual assault in the same vacant apartment where Pachowicz's body was found.

Late Monday, police officials said the man also was being held on suspicion of killing Pachowicz.

The suspect hasn't been charged in either case, although investigators have sent the sex assault case to the Ramsey County attorney.

Police spokesman Paul Schnell said investigators are confident they have the right person.

According to police records, officers were at the building in the 800 block of E. 5th St. twice Saturday, the first time at 1:11 p.m. when they were called about Pachowicz.

Along with her body, investigators found her puppy alive.

Bruce Olstad, who described himself as Pachowicz's boyfriend, said Monday that police were working to return the dog, Lowrider, to him.

"I just hope I can love and care for him the way she would want," Olstad said.

The couple bought the miniature dachshund the Friday before Pachowicz went missing.

She was last seen alive by friends at an apartment complex near Arlington St. and Western Av. about 1 a.m. March 6. Before she left, she told friends she was going to follow a man who had driven up to her.

In an attempt to find her, authorities used cadaver dogs and helicopters to search a two-mile area Friday morning. After her body was found, officials said that they believed she had been killed in the apartment. It appeared the body had been there for several days, police said.

Because of decomposition, the manner of death could not be determined and one was not released Monday.

Olstad said that Pachowicz had been taking veterinary medicine classes at Argosy University.

"She loved animals, I think, because they return that love unconditionally," Olstad said.

Pachowicz, a mother of two, first came to Minnesota to get her eldest daughter, now 13, treatment for cancer, he said.

The girl's disease is now in remission. She and her 1-year-old sister are in South Dakota with their grandparents.

"She was really a giving person," Olstad said. "Her smile would light up a room."

Read the rest here:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5292786.html

What a TRULY bizarre story.

What can you say, when you read an article like that?

edited to add: I think some of the details in that article are wrong. It's really TOO bizarre, that a man arrested for a sexual assault on Feb. 19 in a vacant apartment would call to report finding a dead woman, his girlfriend, in the exact same apartment.

This article is different, and sounds a little more realistic. Still bizarre, but less so.

http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_073210444.html

KatherineQ said:
What a TRULY bizarre story.

What can you say, when you read an article like that?

edited to add: I think some of the details in that article are wrong. It's really TOO bizarre, that a man arrested for a sexual assault on Feb. 19 in a vacant apartment would call to report finding a dead woman, his girlfriend, in the exact same apartment.

This article is different, and sounds a little more realistic. Still bizarre, but less so.

http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_073210444.html
I think the article confused you - Her boyfriend was not the man who reproted finding her body or the man arrested. The boyfriend was just interview for the article and was on the news last night talking.

I beleive the wcco arfticle you linked above was published last night before the 10 o'clock news ran and seems by then they had more information. The one I linked from the Star Tribune was published this morning.....I could be wrong but I watched the news last night on 3 different stations an they way I understand it is this:

They (media) 1st reported that the landloard reported finding a body. Then it finally came out that the person who reported finding the body after further investigation was arrested for an assault that happened in that same vacant apartment on 2/19/05 this assault was reported on 2/19/05 but no arrest was made until this person reported finding Memoray's body in the vacant lot and after further investagion they determined the same man that assaulted someone was the same person who killed Memoray and was the person who reported finding her body.

Remember no arrest had been made and I am sure this guy had no idea for sure the person he assaulted on 2/19/05 even reported it.

Misty - I think the way you summarized it is the way it happened, I agree.

But the SLT article states he HAD BEEN HELD in connection with the sexual assault that occurred on Feb. 19. To me that indicates the writer is trying to say he had been held prior to his reporting finding Memory's body, and that seems very hard to believe.

Anyway, very sad. It seems like there were two distinct sides to Memory - a very loving, open, likeable woman who was in vet tech school and was loving mother, and this other side to her that she kept hidden. I wonder, had she introduced her boyfriend to her friends like almost anyone would when he drove up, maybe somehow she would still be alive.

Her face was so intriguing, and her smile. Prayers for her family.

Slaying suspect in custody

spacer.gif

Man initially booked in connection with assault on another woman in same apartment
spacer.gif

[size=-1]BY RUBÉN ROSARIO[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Pioneer Press[/size]
spacer.gif

Homicide investigators said Monday a 26-year-old man in custody is the prime suspect in the abduction and slaying of a St. Paul mother of two, whose body was found last weekend in an East Side apartment where a rape was reported last month.

"This, we believe, is the guy,'' said Paul Schnell, spokesman for the St. Paul Police Department.

"Right now, we are still exploring the relationship between this man and the victim,'' Schnell said of Nathaniel Christopher Glass, who turned 26 on Monday, and Memory L. Pachowicz, 33, both of St. Paul.

Glass was picked up, booked and jailed late Saturday in connection with the Feb. 19 sexual assault of an unidentified woman inside apartment No. 5 at 875 E. Fifth St. The arrest took place hours after a landlord found Pachowicz's decomposing body inside the vacant Dayton's Bluff rental unit. Late Monday afternoon, police officially placed Glass under arrest in the Pachowicz case.

Pachowicz, the divorced mother of daughters ages 1 and 13, last had been seen March 6 in the parking lot of an apartment complex in St. Paul's North End. Her car was found about a block away. Autopsy results were not available Monday, but police said the woman suffered trauma wounds and that the apartment where she was found showed signs of a struggle.

Glass reportedly lived at 602 Mendota St., which police said is a residence and mailing address for another section of the home where the body was found.

Charges against Glass in both cases are expected today, police said.

"Yes, we have heard. Please give us the space and the respect to grieve privately,'' Paul Pachowicz, Memory's father, said Monday from his South Dakota home.

Police did not disclose a motive for the slaying but said there were indications that Pachowicz did not voluntarily abandon her car. Her disappearance triggered a search that included cadaver-sniffing dogs and emotional appeals from the missing woman's friends.

One friend pleaded for her safe return, describing Pachowicz as responsible in caring for her daughters, the oldest of whom is a cancer survivor, according to court records.

Pachowicz pleaded guilty in Wyoming in 1997 to conspiracy to possess and distribute methamphetamine. She was sentenced to 60 months in prison, which was reduced to 37 months in 2000 in consideration of the cancer treatment her daughter was receiving in Minneapolis.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons said then that she had "taken every initiative to rehabilitate herself and has been a model inmate."

Schnell told the Pioneer Press that Pachowicz had no legal trouble while she was in Minnesota. "She came to Minnesota in part because her daughter was receiving treatment for that cancer here, and stayed," he said.

The investigation into the disappearance originally centered on a maroon vehicle that Pachowicz reportedly told friends she intended to follow the night she vanished. A similarly colored vehicle was found in front of the home where her body was found, but the car does not belong to the alleged suspect, police said.

Pachowicz loved animals and was taking veterinary classes, according to friends. Her 9-week-old dachshund, a gift she received two days before her disappearance, was with her when she last was seen. The dog, suffering from emaciation, was found inside the apartment with Pachowicz's body.

read the rest here:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/11136772.htm

KatherineQ said:
Misty - I think the way you summarized it is the way it happened, I agree.

But the SLT article states he HAD BEEN HELD in connection with the sexual assault that occurred on Feb. 19. To me that indicates the writer is trying to say he had been held prior to his reporting finding Memory's body, and that seems very hard to believe.

Anyway, very sad. It seems like there were two distinct sides to Memory - a very loving, open, likeable woman who was in vet tech school and was loving mother, and this other side to her that she kept hidden. I wonder, had she introduced her boyfriend to her friends like almost anyone would when he drove up, maybe somehow she would still be alive.

Her face was so intriguing, and her smile. Prayers for her family.

I agree. It is very sad indeed.

The man that drove up and that she followed was NOT her boy friend nor was the man who is now arrested for her murder. I think they are on ein the same. The man arrested is Nathaniel Christopher Glass whom I would guess was the guy who drove up to her when she was with friends. The guy Bruce Olstad from the Star Tribune article IS her boyfriend and had nothign to do with Memory's murder.

Misty -acck, I completely misread the first article. Not enough coffee. I thought Bruce Olstad was the man who was arrested, as well as being her boyfriend.

Okay, the story isn't odd like I thought.

Very sad for her, and sad for her boyfriend and her family.

KatherineQ said:
Misty -acck, I completely misread the first article. Not enough coffee. I thought Bruce Olstad was the man who was arrested, as well as being her boyfriend.

Okay, the story isn't odd like I thought.

Very sad for her, and sad for her boyfriend and her family.
Don't worry about it, I had to read it a few times also because at first Ithought the same thing...and I dont even drink coffee...LOL

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S7027.html?cat=1

ST. PAUL - Nathaniel Glass, the suspect in the murder of St. Paul single mother Memory Pachowicz, was charged Wednesday with her murder in Ramsey County District Court. He was also slapped with a second murder charge for the murder of her unborn child.

The charges against Glass state that friends and family members had been telling police repeatedly since Pachowicz disappeared earlier this month that she had just learned she was pregnant. The child was reportedly due in late October.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very sad!

Homicide victim was pregnant

spacer.gif

Suspect charged with two counts of murder
spacer.gif

[size=-1]BY MARA H. GOTTFRIED[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Pioneer Press[/size]
spacer.gif

When a man Memory Pachowicz accompanied to smoke marijuana began making sexual advances, the pregnant St. Paul woman fought for her life, slapping him in the face, kicking him and grabbing a hammer.

But the man took the hammer and struck her repeatedly on the head, according to a complaint the Ramsey County attorney's office filed Wednesday in charging Nathaniel Christopher Glass, 26, of St. Paul with second-degree murder and second-degree murder of an unborn child.

Pachowicz, 33 and the mother of 1-year-old and 13-year-old daughters, died from multiple blunt-force trauma impacts to her head — the medical examiner counted 32 impacts, along with fractures on both sides and the base of her skull, the complaint said. She also had been stabbed in the chest and had five blunt-force impacts to the back of her right hand, believed to be defensive wounds, said Paul Schnell, police spokesman.

"Clearly she was struggling, she was putting up a fight to save her life," he said.

How Glass allegedly lured Pachowicz, who was about five weeks pregnant, to a vacant St. Paul apartment by promising her marijuana and what ensued closely mirror the experience of a woman Glass is accused of raping two weeks earlier.

Glass is being held in the Ramsey County jail. He declined an interview request.

He told police that late on March 5 or early March 6, he saw Pachowicz leaving a Rice Street bar, the complaint said. He said she approached him and asked if he knew where she could buy marijuana.

Glass invited Pachowicz to smoke marijuana with him in a vacant apartment at a Dayton's Bluff building and intended to have sex with her, the complaint said. The building at 875 E. Fifth St. was being sold and Glass, his girlfriend and their 2½-year-old daughter were the last tenants there, said Shirley Dishmon, Glass' mother.

The last person who reported seeing Pachowicz was a friend who told police Pachowicz was in her car and a maroon car was behind her at about 1 a.m. March 6.

"Pachowicz assured him (the friend) that the vehicle behind her was with her and was OK," the complaint said. She told her friend she was going to follow the man to buy marijuana.

At the apartment, Glass tried to kiss Pachowicz, but she turned away and "she would not let him touch her breasts or put his hand in her pants," the complaint said.

"He said that he didn't mean to hurt the girl and that he was getting mixed messages," the complaint said. Glass described a "tussle" that followed and said he "snapped out and did not recall how many times he hit her with the hammer," the complaint said.

Police haven't determined whether Pachowicz was sexually assaulted, Schnell said.

When Glass returned home at about 2 a.m. March 6, he was covered in blood and he told his girlfriend he had been "jumped," the complaint said. He wanted to throw away his clothes and boots and told her "he may have killed the guy that he fought with," the complaint said.

On Saturday, Glass called police to report a body had been found in the building where he lived, the complaint said. Investigators identified the body as Pachowicz's.

People close to Glass expressed shock over the charges.

"I do not feel at all that he did this or that he was capable of doing it," said his mother, who moved to the area from Chicago with Glass in 2000.

Glass' girlfriend of four years, who asked not to be identified, said she didn't believe the accusations until she read in the complaint he had confessed. The woman is five months pregnant with their second child.

Officers investigating Pachowicz's homicide discovered a woman had reported being raped Feb. 19 at the same apartment. The county attorney's office charged Glass on Tuesday with first-degree criminal sexual conduct in that case.

A woman told police she had been walking home when a man offered her a ride in his maroon vehicle. She agreed to go to the apartment after he told her he had marijuana. Once inside, the suspect allegedly pulled a knife and sexually assaulted her, the complaint said.

Homicide investigators noticed a car matching the description the rape victim gave parked outside the building where Pachowicz was found. They discovered it was Glass' mother's car and Glass drove it, the complaint said.

Bail was set Wednesday at $500,000 on the murder charges and had been set Tuesday at $100,000 on the criminal sexual conduct charge.

Read the rest here:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/11154509.htm

Just a few of my thoughts on this article - Ok this is soo very sad. But if she knew she was pregnant WHY was going with him to smoke marijuana??? Maybe she didn't know she was pregnant?? I know this is what the suspect said he did to get her to go with him...so it could be a lie. How sad if true, had she not gone with him her and her baby would be alive and her two children would still have their mother. I am in no way saying this is her fault because it is NOT. It just sad to think that one simple choice made can change your life in an instant, this poor woman was so violently attacked my heart breaks for her. Very sad story. My prayers are with her children, family and friends.

St. Paul Man Pleads Guilty to Killing a 33-Year-Old Pregnant Mother

Nathaniel C. Glass faces more than 28 years in prison after he pleaded guilty Monday to murdering a St. Paul woman in March, and raping another woman two weeks earlier in the same St. Paul apartment. Glass, 26, of St. Paul, admitted in court that he hit Memory Pachowicz in the head with a hammer more than 30 times. He pleaded guilty to intentional second-degree murder in the death of the 33-year-old mother of two who was several months pregnant.

Seems to me he should have gotten more than 28 years for the murder of Memory...her unborn baby...and the rape of the other woman. He got off easy if you ask me.

This story is so sad when you look at all of the characters in it. Memory had a 1 yr old baby at home and a 13 yr old daughter who has survived cancer and a baby on the way. She also had a boyfriend who seemed to care for her. She was just pulling her life together after being in prison. Her life ended when she made the choice to follow the killer to an apt to buy some pot from him.

The killer had a girlfriend of 4 years...a baby daughter and another baby on the way. He offered to sell pot or share his pot in order to get women to go with him to the empty apt so he could have sex with them. Sex was his objective.

The girl that got raped in that empty apt went into the apt with the killer/rapist to smoke some pot with him. Of course pot isn't what was on his mind and he raped her but thank God she didn't die.

Drugs are the most evil thing in our universe. Look at the lives that have been destroyed because of drugs in just this one case. Children left without moms and dads...a young life taken...the woman who was raped will have to cope with that for the rest of her life. A young mother who discovered that the person she thought was a good guy/the father of her children was a killer and rapist. All of this could have been avoided if it weren't for the poor choices made. It is truly heartbreaking.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back