MN MN - Richard John ‘Dickie’ Huerkamp, 15, Mapleton, 2 Oct 1965

It seems a likely scenario, and one which investigators at the time could have considered, but apparently chose not to, in preference to concentrating all their efforts searching the area between the bicycle and the river.

The bike and supplies dumped at the side of the road were almost certainly left there by some person or persons hoping to mislead search efforts.

Other theories, such as his parking his bike and supplies by the road and then walking to the river only to fall in and drown (and never be found), or being abducted within a 15 minute time frame in the early morning hours by a passing pedophile on a little traveled stretch of road, are rather remote possibilities which stretch the imagination.

IF one of those other scenarios is true, then the boys would have to feel some responsibility for NOT picking Dickie up that morning, or at least leaving him a note to let him know where they were going. Most likely they proceeded to the originally planned hunting area - contrary to their later claims of being 15 miles North of town.

Driving in a car, they would have arrived at the hunting area ahead of Dickie, having a head start and with Dickie riding a bicycle. It is likely that they didn't expect to see Dickie there that morning.

Sunrise would not occur until about 7 am, with perhaps a half hour of twilight preceding it. With various reported estimates of Dickie leaving the house around 5 am, this would place him 4 miles south of town as early as perhaps 5:15 - 5:30 am - a full hour before day light.

We don't know for certain where Dickie and the boys planned to hunt, but Dickie DID know and was very likely headed there to meet up with the others. An early morning hunting accident, followed by hiding of the body and shotgun, finding and staging the bicycle and supplies, and then a made-up story about being well north of town at the time is a scenario well worth considering.

LINK:
I'll buy that. I do find it interesting that there were rumored allegations Dickie's father was responsible, but no such allegations involving the teens (that we know of). Could family status within the community have played a role in this?

I'll buy that. I do find it interesting that there were rumored allegations Dickie's father was responsible, but no such allegations involving the teens (that we know of). Could family status within the community have played a role in this?
I have no idea of what Dickie's home family situation was. But I would imagine that his mother and father must have felt some responsibility for NOT driving him to the hunting area after missing his ride with friends. Given the prevailing belief that he was either kidnapped or walked off and drowned at the river, they probably often wondered if he would still be around if they had given him a ride that morning - or insisted that he stay home and NOT set out in the dark with a shotgun on a bicycle.

To believe that the father killed and disposed of Dickie's body would mean that he also staged the bicycle and hunting supplies (minus the borrowed shotgun) four miles south of town. It would also require Dickie's mother and two sisters to keep such a secret all these years after the father's death in 1968. Probably the least likely scenario of them all.

Minnesota has been keeping records and reports on hunting incidents and fatalities since 1947. In 1965, there were 139 reported incidents and 20 fatalities - the second highest hunting fatality number to date.

A look at the figures is interesting (see link). Although in recent years, there are about four times the number of hunters taking to the field as there were in 1965, the increased attention to hunter safety education and the use of florescent orange clothing has cut down hunting accidents dramatically.

LINK:

Assuming Dickie was accidentally shot by one of the other three boys, what would've been the penalty, had they reported it? McGregor was legally an adult, while Johnson and Fitzpatrick were minors.

Assuming Dickie was accidentally shot by one of the other three boys, what would've been the penalty, had they reported it? McGregor was legally an adult, while Johnson and Fitzpatrick were minors.
Theoretically speaking, and this is only opinion:

IF Dickie was accidentally shot by one of the boys, the proper thing would certainly have been to report it.

I do not know what any of them would have been charged with had they shot Dickie accidentally, tried to help him, and contacted authorities. Just speculation, but I guess anything from no charges to some sort of manslaughter or murder charges.

Most likely, they would not have known either - but they could have feared the worst, and that fear might have motivated them.

IF such an accidental shooting occurred, the body buried, items staged, and an alibi story concocted, the case would be much more serious.

Last edited:
Knowing the families of the other boys, I just don’t see this likely. I would believe he drowned in the river before that scenario. However we are basing all this on the assumption that Dickie ever went hunting. No one saw him leave. No one saw him riding the bike. Seems to me the entire timeline is based on what his mom and dad claimed. I would be curious if the sisters actually saw Dickie return from the tavern the night before. Or did he ask Ann that morning if he could borrow her bike? Like did she physically see him? I would think if she had, that would have quieted the rumors of an argument between he and his dad. Having worked most my career in child protective services, my gut has always questioned that, esp knowing how small town folks often turned the other way when discipline became physical.

Knowing the families of the other boys, I just don’t see this likely. I would believe he drowned in the river before that scenario. However we are basing all this on the assumption that Dickie ever went hunting. No one saw him leave. No one saw him riding the bike. Seems to me the entire timeline is based on what his mom and dad claimed. I would be curious if the sisters actually saw Dickie return from the tavern the night before. Or did he ask Ann that morning if he could borrow her bike? Like did she physically see him? I would think if she had, that would have quieted the rumors of an argument between he and his dad. Having worked most my career in child protective services, my gut has always questioned that, esp knowing how small town folks often turned the other way when discipline became physical.
The news articles don't indicate  when Dickie actually awoke and allegedly left the house-- just that he overslept and asked to borrow Ann's bike (so he may or may not have left in the dark on a bicycle). Apparently the other boys were running late too, because it was said they were to meet at Fitzpatrick's home at 4:30 am, but they allegedly rang the Huerkamp doorbell for Dickie at 5:00 am. Have either of Dickie's sisters ever given their version of events that weekend?

Last edited:
Like did she physically see him? I would think if she had, that would have quieted the rumors of an argument between he and his dad. Having worked most my career in child protective services, my gut has always questioned that, esp knowing how small town folks often turned the other way when discipline became physical.
RSBM
Mrs Huerkamp stated she had physically disciplined Dickie the previous night, and he just took it. Possibly Mr Huerkamp also disciplined Dickie and things went a bit too far. Dickie was small for his age. jmo

Last edited:
As with most missing person cases, there are numerous possible scenarios which might have occurred. It seems to me that the most comprehensive article written on this was the 6 month look-back by Jim Klobochar. He mentions some of the possibilities: Ran away, Drowned, Hunting Accident, Killed for his gun, stepped in quicksand/bog, etc. Of course there are other possibilities as well.

All of the earlier news articles tended to repeat over and over the first small bit of information. If there is a Sheriff Department file on this case, perhaps some answers might be found in it.

All we have to go on is the information from several newspaper reports linked in posts to this thread. Unverified rumors might have been looked into, but unfortunately we do not know for certain any specifics or what might be in the cold case file.

Re-reading each of those articles indicates that most of the information about Dickie's plans, intentions, and actions did come from what his parents told investigators. But it seems that the three other young hunters did confirm at least some of it.

The consistent starting time for Dickie's departure is 5 am. It is also the time that the boys who were to hunt with him claimed to have arrived at the Huerkamp door. In any case, Dickie was upset at missing the boys and immediately set out in his hunting clothes on a bicycle with his shotgun, lunch, and shells.

None of the articles mention anything about what his sisters might have said. Both parents have since passed away, but his sisters still live in Minnesota. It would be interesting to hear what they might know.

All of the early articles state that it was his mother who began searching for Dickie on Sunday morning, 3 October 1965, and it was she who found "his bicycle" at the side of County Road 7 when driving to the farm of Stanley Healy - a place where he had on previous occasions spent the night. It was not until 5 months later when an article in the Minneapolis Star stated that Dickie had asked his sister Ann to borrow her bicycle that morning.

That bicycle would have been a very important piece of evidence to process. Were fingerprints taken from it? Was it damaged in any way from being struck by a car or by lead shot? Was it abandoned by Dickie due to a slipped chain or flat tire? How were the other items found in relation to it?

The bicycle gave investigators a starting point for all of the searches which followed. The first search began there on Sunday afternoon, 3 October 1965. It was not until the following day, Monday 4 October, that tracking dogs were brought in, and they followed two separate scent tracks from the site of the bicycle to the river. It is a very good possibility that they were following the scents of the previous day's searchers.

Some obvious questions remain unanswered:
- Did Dickie make contact with anyone in the Healy family that day?
- What are the specifics regarding the 12 Gauge shotgun which is mentioned as also missing?
- Where did the other boys plan to hunt with Dickie?
- Did the Sheriff question the boys, or Dickie's sisters?
- Were any follow up inquiries made past the one year mark?
- Is there a file on this case?
- Why is the disappearance NOT included in various Missing Person sites?

Last edited:
Taken me a few days to jump back on here. All very good points & questions. I’m gonna mull all your points tonight and maybe over the weekend I can find some more concrete answers from family back in Mapleton.

It was reported in newspaper articles after Dickie's disappearance that his father mentioned how experienced Dickie was at hunting, and how he often had borrowed a shotgun from a neighbor and often stayed overnight at a particular farm. For this to be true, it would have to mean that he had hunted previously in the 1964 Minnesota hunting season.

The 1965 Minnesota hunting seasons for Pheasant, Grouse, Rabbit, Raccoon, and Squirrel began in October and ran into November. Since Dickie was in school on Friday, 1 October and planned to hunt on Saturday, 2 October 1965, it means that he would be hunting for the first time in the 1965 season.

Migratory bird seasons for Goose and Duck hunting differed from year to year, and were set by Federal agency regulations in conjunction with each state. It would be good to learn exactly when the 1965 Minnesota Goose season started to see if stories about the boys' intentions to Goose hunt on 2 October were true.

Last edited:
Agreed. i always found it odd that he would leave supples near the road, if that is really where they were found. My parents, aunts and uncles don’t really know “exactly” where the bike was found. All the high schoolers went out to help search but again, lots of rumors.

Great idea re the gun serial number. I can make some calls go see if it was ever made public the brand, etc. FOIA might be helpful there as well.

In regards to someone happening upon the gun, bike, and stealing the gun. It’s kind of a conundrum. It’s not a highly traveled area. We are talking in the late 80’s, years after this happened, I could ride my bike out there and never see a car, maybe one passerby. But that’s just it, could there have been just one, someone nefarious heading south towards Iowa that grabbed him? In my mind it always seemed highly probable due to never finding his clothing, boots, hat, etc. Some shred of evidence I would think would have eventually floated up. The waters not that deep or big.
RS&BBM,

Interesting. Do you have any idea when the highway 22 road was built? Is it possible that Hwy 7 was the only north/south route in 1965 when he disappeared and thus all through-traffic would have had to use it (vice using the 22 now).

RS&BBM,

Interesting. Do you have any idea when the highway 22 road was built? Is it possible that Hwy 7 was the only north/south route in 1965 when he disappeared and thus all through-traffic would have had to use it (vice using the 22 now).
Minnesota State Highway Map of the Mapleton Minnesota area

Both Highway 22 and County Road 7 existed in 1965. As seen on this map, Highway 22 runs due south from Mankato to Mapleton, then heads Southeast to Wells. Continuing straight south from Mapleton would put you on CR 7.

According to news articles, the bike Dickie had ridden was found south of Mapleton alongside CR 7, somewhere near the river.

The story of the other three boys would indicate that they took Highway 22 North out of Mapleton to a hunting area near Mankato, and then drove on Hwy 22
South to Mapleton and Southeast to Minnesota Lake - a route which avoids the area of County Road 7.

LINK:

The missing shotgun that Dickie reportedly had borrowed and used previously to hunt with is an odd puzzle piece.

It might have been the reason that someone might want to harm Dickie, such as to steal that shotgun. But that alone does not seem to be a connecting reason for them to kill him and dispose of his body. And its absence from the other remaining items dumped at the side of the road raises questions.

If the shotgun AND its case were missing, OR if the shotgun IN its case was with the bicycle, it might appear that someone had abducted the boy at the side of the road. But the fact that it was not with the case is an indication that Dickie had removed it to go hunting and that it disappeared with him, while the bicycle and his other items (including the shotgun case) were parked by Dickie somewhere near where he entered the hunting site.

If Dickie had been killed while in the field hunting (accidentally or intentionally), that shotgun - if found in someone's possession later - would be a key piece of evidence tying that person directly to Dickie's disappearance.

Could it be that the shotgun was damaged by a shot that killed Dickie? If that was the case, the killer would not want to keep it and would not want it to be found. If damaged by shot, it would be further evidence as to what might have happened.

A scenario where Dickie enters the hunting area in low light conditions, wearing gray coveralls, in a field of inexperienced hunters is sadly a recipe for an accidental shooting.

Although we do not know for certain what happened to Dickie Huerkamp, we do know that he intended to go hunting with some school friends on 2 October 1965. Is it possible that he was involved in a hunting accident?

With hunter safety education programs in all the states, a number of serious studies have been done on hunting accidents and their main causes in efforts to understand and prevent them. Here are some conclusions of a recent study:

• The four main types of hunting-related shooting incidents are:
    • Hunter Judgment Mistakes, such as mistaking another person for game or not checking the foreground or background before firing
    • Safety Rule Violations, including pointing the muzzle in an unsafe direction and ignoring proper procedures for crossing a fence, obstacle, or difficult terrain
    • Lack of Control and Practice, which can lead to accidental discharges and stray shots
    • Mechanical Failure, such as an obstructed barrel or improper ammunition
  • From the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s (NSSF) 2007 Industry Intelligence Reports, these are the most common causes of hunting incidents:
    • Failure to identify the target (15.5%)
    • Shooter swinging on game (12.8%)
    • Careless handling of a firearm (11.4%)
    • Victim out of sight of the shooter (8.3%)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back