GUILTY MN - William Hurley & Debra Chatman for child abuse, Minneapolis, 2010

Just a year in prison, seriously just a year? There needs to be a serious overhaul in sentencing guidelines, because really a year is just ridiculous.

E*E
It's absurd. Who do we write to get these law changes?

I am so tired of reading about all these stories of abuse and neglect. I am just so sad. These children are brought into the world not by choice but by irresponsibility. Children are a gift and the greatest and most valuable natural resource we have on earth. It is incomprehensible that we lose even one life. Can you believe that we lose 5, yes 5 children A DAY, do to abuse and neglect? One Thousand eight hundred and twenty five lives.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2009/10/21/news/news03.txt

snip~Morbeck said the general public can help out, too, by being vigilant of families around them.

Folks should report suspicions of abuse or neglect to law enforcement of IDHW.

"Not closing your eyes to it is really important," Mobeck said. "It's happening in your community, and it's happening right next door to you."~ end

I don't mean to steal Belinda's thunder, but this one is local for me and I saw an update in the paper.

The 'father' (william hurley) in this case got 6 months in a workhouse, and he will be 'let out' during the day to go to school.

The 'mother' (debra chatman) in this case was sentenced a few days ago to 3 years probation and 20 hours of community service.

Summary of what they did to their 10 year old son:
"Hurley punched the boy and then burned him on his arm and leg with a hot iron.

The boy ran out of the apartment but Chatman grabbed him and brought him back, and Hurley whipped him with an extension cord, police said.

Chatman, who said she had earlier struck her son with a belt, said the boy ran to an oven and climbed inside it as far as he could. The boy told authorities that she then turned on the oven to force him out."

http://www.startribune.com/local/100313419.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

this is unbelievable, that child probably has endured so much abuse, my brothers are police officers and the stories they tell are soooo hard to hear, i just cant imagine the fear these children have to live with....i hope this boy learns what unconditional love is

What is wrong with parents these days! This makes me so angry.

Thankfully there is a bright spot, the child survived this and will never have to live with these SOBs ever again!:furious:

Unfortunately the way our system works I don't think it is a given that she won't have her rights restored, if she wants them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back