MN MN - Winona Co, 'Angel Doe', NewbornFem UP12804, Miss River, angel figurines, bracelet, bell, Sep'11

Do we know the specific area of the Mississippi River or location? I have done extensive research on this topic and studies show that the mother probably lives very close to the disposal site... I would like to look at a google map of the area...

The news article indicates Red Wing, Minnesota (i.e., about 40 miles downstream from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Red Wing MN map - Google Maps

In addition to Carls post, the most recent MSM article indicates this possible 4th child was found 60 miles (I think south) of where the other 3 remains were found.

I am going to ask... and forgive me for this, but how many of these 'dumspter' babies really get identified? There are quite a few threads here from doenet cases of dumped newborns, that get little attention.

I realize Safe Haven laws exist to prevent this, but for some reason we keep seeing these baby's tossed.

It almost makes me wonder if perhaps WS should have a 'safe haven' forum of somekind similiarly to the bullying forum we have.

OT- but locally I am lightly following a case of a mom who dumped her baby in a yard to die in Wheaton, IL. and she is now fighting for her rights 2 years later. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...rental-rights-parental-termination-mom-fights

I don't understand... I really don't.

Somewhere we are missing something with these moms who feel the need to hide and dump their pregnancies... when there are a million people who would not only embrace their child, but embrace them for making the difficult choice of adoption. And on parenting forums, there seemed to be many cases of open adoptions in which the adoptive parents formed a coparenting relationship of some kind with the birth mom or mom and dad.

The news article indicates Red Wing, Minnesota (i.e., about 40 miles downstream from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Red Wing MN map - Google Maps

Thanks Carl!!

I am sure investigators can figure out the point of disposal from the speed of the water current and from determining how long the remains had been in the water...

The mother of this baby should be easy to find.

Information for Red Wing Minnesota
Population in July 2009: 15,681
Females: 8,105 (51.7%)
Median resident age: 38.7 years

http://www.city-data.com/city/Red-Wing-Minnesota.html#ixzz1Y5PJ2pE2

Factoring in women of child bearing age in a 3 to 5 mile radius from the point of disposal should narrow it down substantially...

Poor little doll. May she rest in peace in the arms of angels.

My DD was by when I was reading some of the articles on this little. She asked me if the "eye motif" was in a hand? A Hamas? I don't believe so. She also asked the color of the "eye' as that is significant. The "evil eye" or overlooks is so prevelant in many cultures particularly in Turkey. They are on everything from bumper stickers to magnets.

However with the angels included DD said she believed the baby may be Mexican. She explained culturally it would make sense if the baby had an eye amulet. She also doubted that the mother of the baby murdered her, but possibly had to be the one to put her in the river. Maybe mom was a migrant worker? Then would that exclude the other poor littles that were also put in the Mississippi?

IMO looking at the figurines they are not cheap as in Dollar Store items. Are they just a small part of a collection that the person has?

On an aside as it doesn't pertain, but supposedly if the "eye" charm breaks that's a good thing as it means itprotected you from a curse or hex someone set out on you.

Prayers for this sweet child. She is indeed an angel.

This seems almost like some kind of ritual. A newborn baby every 4 years, placed in the Mississippi River. The first 2 are related. If the second 2 turn out to be related to each other it will be strange.

Found: Nov 1999, Dec 2003, Mar 2007, Sep 2011

We don't know exactly how long each one was in the river. If we knew that we might be able to figure out whether it is a ritual or not. (Probably not because that would mean the woman had to conceive in the right month for that to work). jat

At two-year mark of baby found in Mississippi, still no clues

After two years, Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand is still trying to solve the mysteries surrounding the dead baby girl found floating in the Mississippi.

“We’d like to remind people,” Brand said. “We hope somebody might remember something.”

The infant, christened “Baby Angel” by law enforcement investigators, was found inside a canvas totebag about 2 p.m. Sept. 5, 2011, by a family boating about six miles south of Winona. Other items, including several porcelain angels and an eye pendant, were inside the bag with the girl.

http://www.winonadailynews.com/news/local/article_6b7d672e-1695-11e3-8c98-001a4bcf887a.html

Photos of the items found with this baby girl can be found on the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension FB page at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151848047903701.1073741835.161470878700&type=3

Brand said that Baby Angel was a white female, and officials were not able to give an exact determination of the cause of death, although she did have a fractured skull. “But we have no idea when that occurred,” Brand commented...

Boaters and witnesses in the area when Baby Angel was recovered from the river reported seeing a 30-to 40-year-old woman anchored nearby in a boat that resembled a white Sea Ray with a cabin...

While DNA profiles have been constructed of Baby Angel’s parents and many DNA samples from women have been taken over the years, there is yet to be a match.

http://www.winonapost.com/Archives/ArticleID/41142/Answers-sought-in-Baby-Angel-death

Someone cared enough to leave her with angel figurines, etc. I wonder what happened.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Recovery
The infant girl was found September 5, 2011 (Labor Day) inside a large yellow canvas bag floating in the Mississippi River north of the Trempealeau Dam near Winona, MN. The infant was full term and had recently been born. She had been deceased for less than one day before she was found.

Accessories
Several items were found with the infant. Those items consisted of a green short-sleeved t-shirt with an undecipherable faded design on the front, a bracelet of silver and blue beads with a large 8 cm glass pendant attached, two porcelain angel music box figurines, a ceramic Precious Moments angel bell, and a tan canvas bag with sailboats, a sun and the word “Manzanillo” embroidered on the front. One of the music boxes played the tune “Wind Beneath My Wings”.

Here is an interesting 2020 article about this case, including info on looking for answers in this case through genetic genealogy. Digging Deeper: the Winona Baby Angel
TY for posting a link to the article. Even though it's been pulled from the website I was able to access it via the Wayback Machine.

Digging Deeper: the Winona Baby Angel
SBM - Much more at link
  • "Hands up, lying there as if someone had set her there,"
  • ...fully formed newborn baby girl with an unclamped umbilical cord.
  • ..."She was pink when we had her," S. said. "By the time dive and rescue came, she was grey."
  • ...believe that the mother gave unassisted and unattended birth
  • Found with the baby, one bracelet, two bags and three angel figurines. She was wrapped in a green t-shirt with a faded image of a slice of bread.
  • "I am hoping that who ever are the parents, the mother of the baby Angel will come forward some day and fill in that story," S. said. "Whoever put the baby in the water took a lot of care to wrap the child with these ornaments and she had a medallion on her."
  • As a reminder, you can tip law enforcement anonymously. Just call 507-457-6530 or visit winonaareacrimestoppers.com.
winona-baby-angel-860x475.jpg
winona-baby-funeral-860x478.jpg

Rest in peace, Baby Angel.

It's been a decade now. I live in the part of Minnesota this happened in and read about it in the news at the time. Someday it will very likely be solved through genetic genealogy. 10 years later, still searching for answers in Baby Angel's death
SBM
Sep 27, 2021
  • Investigators are still seeking information in the unsolved case of her death.
  • ...ran DNA tests on Baby Angel and numerous subjects over the years, but never found a match.
  • “There’s somebody out there who, of course, knows what happened, and I just wish they would come forward so we could put closure on this case.”

6132a0f22fd6e.image.jpg

The latest article about this case..https://www.postbulletin.com/news/the-vault/they-called-her-baby-angel-now-forensic-genealogy-may-id-baby-found-in-mississippi-river

The latest article about this case..https://www.postbulletin.com/news/the-vault/they-called-her-baby-angel-now-forensic-genealogy-may-id-baby-found-in-mississippi-river
WINONA, Minn. — More than 10 years after a days-old infant girl was found in the Winona waters of the Mississippi River, forensic genealogy is leading investigators closer to the child’s identity.

Winona County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Jeff Mueller told Forum News Service that forensic genealogy is at the heart of the investigation. The Sheriff’s Office is actively working with Parabon, a private organization that assists law enforcement agencies with tools that pair DNA databases with genealogy.

And they are getting closer. The family tree is growing with each piece of information collected, ultimately leading them closer to Baby Angel.

“Trying to narrow it down to a closer relative is really where we’re at right now,” Mueller said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back