MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think that this is just a PR move on the defense part? Oh look my client, she received her GED while behind bars....blah blah blah.

Do you guys think that this is just a PR move on the defense part? Oh look my client, she received her GED while behind bars....blah blah blah.

This is my problem with this.. if she wanted to get her "Good Enough Diploma" that's completely fine by me.. most inmates do opt to do that. Alyssa wants her HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. There are extra expenses involved with that, and quite honestly, a diploma of any kind is a privilege to have, not a right. Elizabeth now has no privileges, and the only right she has left is to see her murder brought to justice.

Besides, if Alyssa is as suicidal as claimed, they wouldn't be able to trust her with pens, pencils, or even paper for that matter. They had to strap her down and cut her freakin nails off so she'd stop hurting herself for carps sakes!

It's ridiculous and for her to expect the state to allow her anything after what she did is just a slap in the face to Elizabeth's memory.

Unfortunately as long as she is only accused of murder the state does need to supply her with an education - while it is obvious to us that she did indeed kill Elizabeth, she has not plead guilty nor been found guilty of said act, and that means that the state must treat her as if she may be an innocent...because others charged with crimes that really are innocent deserve to be treated fairly (not punished before their day in court), and that means that Alyssa must be as well. JMO

I know the request for the education will definitely be addressed, I'm not sure what else.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=449426

"A hearing will be held Wednesday for Alyssa Bustamante, now, 16, charged with killing Olten last fall. Cole County Judge Patricia Joyce will likely rule on a number of motions during the proceedings.

Sources said Alyssa Bustamante will not be in court herself Wednesday morning, but her defense team will. And they have a lot to talk about.

Bustamante's public defenders have filed three significant motions, or requests, since Bustamante was certified to stand trial as an adult last November.

First, Bustamante's defense team wants to make sure the prosecution is not on to their case.

"What they have asked the court to do is allow them to file ex parte, or one-sided requests with the court," Hennon said.

That means Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson won't know what documents Bustamante's attorneys request, or why they want them.

Second, Bustamante's attorneys want her to be allowed to come to court in her own clothing, not some jail-issued jumpsuit.

"The defense does not want the defendant to be portrayed as anything other than a person, as opposed to somebody who's appearing here in court directly from the jail," Hennon said.

And third, the Bustamante defense team wants their client to be permitted to finish her high school education.

She would not go to school, but rather Cole County would pay for online classes.

"I think its important to remember that she hasn't been convicted of anything. She is presumed to be innocent. That's a presumption that's present in our criminal justice system," Hennon said. "So she has the right to it. There has been no finding yet to take that legal right away from her."

Another question circulating is whether the Bustamante case will ever make it to trial.

"By statute in Missouri, the only possible sentence in a first degree murder case for a juvenile of 15 years of age is that of life in prison without parole," Hennon said. "So when you only have that possible sentence, a defendant in that scenario has nothing to lose by going to trial."

Hennon said a plea bargain would require that the prosecutor reduce the charges against Bustamante.

Hennon said to expect a lengthy jury selection process if Bustamante stands trial. He said both the defense and the prosecution will likely have a difficult time finding jurors from Greene County who have not heard about Bustamante's case, given the national media coverage the news received last fall."

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=449728

The family of Elizabeth release a statement.

statement%20olten.pdf

Bumpity bump bump for elizabeth. We haven't forgotten sweety. Still watching closely - awaiting justice for you.

still faithfully bumping for my girl.

bump for elizabeth, been thinking of you today, lil one.

Bumpity bump sweet girl. Alyssa has been denied the education she denied you. As it should be sweet pea.

Judge denies Alyssa Bustamante request to continue education.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=201859

This is bad - could be used by the defense in an appeal to show judicial bias (not alone, but if they get enough little things like this to show a pattern)...we might enjoy things being withheld from her, but the courtroom is no place for vindictiveness. IMO, the prosecutors should have gone along with the request to help in building the image of fair treatment having been offered here - appeals have been granted on smaller things...

Bumpity Bump sweety pie. We haven't forgotten

Justice for Elizabeth

Bumpity Bump little girl. We haven't forgotten. Because the prisoner is young we don't get many details or update, but trust in us hon, we don't and won't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname