MO - FBI on alert after dozens of propane tanks stolen & lg purchases of prepaid phones

I think the tanks were more likely to be used for distilling moonshine than for any terrorist act. jmo

I think the tanks were more likely to be used for distilling moonshine than for any terrorist act. jmo

I think we will never find out who bought the phones or stole the tanks, or why they did it.

How many would they need? 50?

Moonshine is usually made in one or two larger vats.

But it could have been stolen by someone that wants cheap heat this winter. Those hell cannons are freaking HUGE things and would not be at all easy to conceal.

ETA just realized you probably meant as fuel for distilling moonshine.

Let's say someone (and his or her buddies) is a creatively driven terrorist, who literally wants to fly under the radar. It's not a stretch to think someone could pack propane tanks with nails, screws, etc (innocently purchased from a local home improvement store).

And let's say these charming, lovely people with the nail filled propane tanks also packed some explosive material inside-- the list of explosives is only limited by imagination. And duct taped an ignition source to the outside-- also only limited by their imagination, ambition, and budget..

Then let's say our would-be terrorists put a number of the easily loadable propane tank bombs into their little bitty civilian fixed wing aircraft, and go for a rather low flying ride (VFR), so as not to have to file detailed flight plans, or communicate with towers, etc. Like "touch and goes". But then they deviate and fly low over a densely populated area or activity-- like an outdoor stadium filled with spectators, or a freeway at rush hour, or something. And kind of dropped the propane tanks out the door of the little bitty civilian aircraft, while activating the ignition source.

See the picture? You don't need a cannon to launch an improvised explosive. A terrorist is not necessarily going for precision accuracy.

Heck, a hot air balloon would work.

Well, and if we take that a step further, and imagine that the pilot and his/ her companion don't mind dying for their cause/ mission, imagine what a little bitty airplane filled with propane tank bombs could deliver as a kamikaze mission.

A barrel bomb is an improvised unguided bomb, sometimes described as a flying IED (improvised explosive device). They are typically made from a large barrel-shaped metal container that has been filled with high explosives, with possibly shrapnel, oil or chemicals, and then dropped from a helicopter or airplane.[1] Due to the large amount of explosives (up 1,000 kilograms), their poor accuracy and indiscriminate use in populated civilian areas (including refugee camps), the resulting detonations have been devastating.[2][3][4] Critics have characterised them as weapons of terror and illegal under international conventions.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_bomb#United_States

And it's not particularly believable to me that there was NO surveillance cameras at the gas stations where the propane tanks were stolen. I think they have surveillance of whomever was brazen enough to steal the tanks-- even if they were only stolen one at at time, over days or weeks. JMO.

I can't believe I used to live in West Virginia and had no idea this was a thing.

Yesterday someone in the comments on one of these sites was warning to stay away from trains that they might use these to detonate tankers full of chlorine or some corrosive substance. He said he really wasn't supposed to say anything. You should keep some Israeli gas masks handy. https://www.rddusa.com/product-category/gas-mask/

Just another example of contagious terrorism. Folks, please don't freak out whenever you hear about any crime. Don't play into ISIS or whatever -- these crimes are usually local, and the terrorists are distant and want to scare you. You can beat them just by being confident and strong

I wasn't sure whether to tack this on here, or start a new thread, but going with here for now. I've seen this story floating around this weekend:

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/30728328/viral-trail-cam-picture-has-some-jumping-to-conclusions

A picture from a trail camera in Madison County, Mo. is spreading like wildfire on social media.The picture shows a man walking in the woods near rural Fredericktown.
There wouldn't be anything too unusual about it, but it has some people concerned. In light of recent cell phone purchases in the area that are being investigated by the FBI as suspicious, some people are jumping to conclusions.

“I was just leaving the house and seen a man cross the highway, so I kind of watched him because I figured he was an hitchhiker," he said.That’s when Wooldridge said the man ran across the highway and into the woods headed toward his house. Wooldridge said he went to go figure out why
“He came out of the woods, screaming arms wailing, making a fist just screaming," he said.

The man apparently is wearing socks only, no shoes. Honestly he sounds mentally ill, not like a terrorist... is there anyone missing who fits this guy's description?

I wasn't sure whether to tack this on here, or start a new thread, but going with here for now. I've seen this story floating around this weekend:

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/30728328/viral-trail-cam-picture-has-some-jumping-to-conclusions

The man apparently is wearing socks only, no shoes. Honestly he sounds mentally ill, not like a terrorist... is there anyone missing who fits this guy's description?

Police have spoken to the guy. He is not wanted anywhere and he was left to go on his way.

Yesterday someone in the comments on one of these sites was warning to stay away from trains that they might use these to detonate tankers full of chlorine or some corrosive substance. He said he really wasn't supposed to say anything. You should keep some Israeli gas masks handy. https://www.rddusa.com/product-category/gas-mask/

This sounds a lot like the "Don't go shopping on Black Friday" urban legend.

Police have spoken to the guy. He is not wanted anywhere and he was left to go on his way.

Ty! Had to go find a link for it too, of course... still sounds like this guy is having some kind of breakdown... hope he'll be safe.

Also hope the police cross referenced his info with missing person's databases...

According to Sheriff Spain, the man is an American citizen, of polish descent and has lived in Chicago for the last 25 years. Spain says the man does not have a criminal record and he did not have any warrants.
The man told officers he left Illinois and traveled to southeast Missouri "to get away from his parents."
He was driving and left his car on a service road in Madison County, he then started walking.
Sheriff Spain said they have not found the car.
The man is now on his way to St. Louis.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/30728328/authorities-find-man-caught-on-viral-trail-cam-picture

Okay, now THAT'S funny! [emoji38]

ETA: is it wrong that I could really put a hurtin' on some BBQ right now? Mmmmmm (Homer Simpson drool)
We had a pizza shop here that was robbed last year of hundreds of pounds of pepperoni and cheese. The perps didn't even touch the two full cash registers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We had a pizza shop here that was robbed last year of hundreds of pounds of pepperoni and cheese. The perps didn't even touch the two full cash registers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's just weird.

And delicious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member