MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024 #4

Posting this article for those that have not kept up with (like me) this case in a while. I suspect this informative article has already been posted many pages back. :)

In the meantime, Harrington, McGeeney and Johnson’s families met with the Platte County prosecutor on Wednesday.

An attorney for Johnson’s family said they now feel as though this is being taken seriously — not only by police but also by prosecutors.

“I want to see what action is being taken, and that’s most important — what action is being taken,” said Caleb McGeeney, the cousin of Clayton McGeeney.

Updated: Feb 1, 2024

If JW went to a month long rehab, he should be out now. However, idk how long his rehab was so, he might be still in rehab. He should be able to communicate with the outside world a bit more by now (just saying, i don't think it will make any difference to our thread). Some places keep patients kind of isolated (no phones, no TV.. that sort of thing) for up to a month.

If JW went to a month long rehab, he should be out now. However, idk how long his rehab was so, he might be still in rehab. He should be able to communicate with the outside world a bit more by now (just saying, i don't think it will make any difference to our thread). Some places keep patients kind of isolated (no phones, no TV.. that sort of thing) for up to a month.
TBH I think the rehab admission might have been purposely for that kind of isolation. Unless JW murdered his friends (which I don't think he did and there is no evidence of), I imagine it would have been extremely hard for him to deal with all the things being said about him--all the speculation, all the blame.... It would be hard to avoid looking at it, and hard to avoid trying to defend yourself. Essentially shutting himself away + having a "good" reason to shut himself a way (ie. people seem to infer guilt when someone doesn't share everything publicly) was probably the best thing for him, even without addition issues.

TBH I think the rehab admission might have been purposely for that kind of isolation. Unless JW murdered his friends (which I don't think he did and there is no evidence of), I imagine it would have been extremely hard for him to deal with all the things being said about him--all the speculation, all the blame.... It would be hard to avoid looking at it, and hard to avoid trying to defend yourself. Essentially shutting himself away + having a "good" reason to shut himself a way (ie. people seem to infer guilt when someone doesn't share everything publicly) was probably the best thing for him, even without addition issues.
I was just thinking about how long it's been and that he is probably out. Or at least people who know him can call or visit.

at least the tabloids seem to not be stalking him ... hopefully

ADMIN NOTE:

Please read The Rules and stop with the off topic posts that derail the discussion. Mods shouldn't have to spend time removing the original post itself, but also all responses that we may have to search for through pages and pages of posts ... and then responses to THOSE responses.

OTP's are posts that do not relate to the intended thread topic, or are placed in the wrong category. If a post cannot be connected directly to the discussion then it is considered an off topic post. While we realize threads often expand into different topics, we encourage members to do their best to on track with the original topic. If a post cannot be connected directly to the discussion then it is considered an off topic post. Off-Topic posts derail the thread and are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended.

Thank you.

A new USA today article with a good description of where things stand today... of particular note, the autopsy records are sealed under Missouri law because the death investigation is still active:

When will Johnson, Harrington and McGeeney's autopsy results be released?​

Both autopsy and toxicology results in the case will remain closed until the case becomes inactive, the head prosecutor said.

(Platte County District Attorney Eric) Zhand said that will take place as soon as:

• He decides not to prosecute the case.
  • The statute of limitations to file criminal charges expires or 10 years after the offense date (whichever occurs first).
  • Someone is convicted in connection to "information contained in the investigative records" and the convict's appeal process is exhausted.
"I do not know when my office will make a final decision on whether we can file criminal charges" Zahnd said.

DHs dad does not beleive that the men willingly/knowingly ingested the drugs and states that he intends to hire a PI and file a wrongful death lawsuit.

(Link to article)

What are suitable choices for rehab facilities in KC? Depending on the addiction, there are 30, 60, and 90 day therapies. The first week of detox must be brutal. omg After that, he'd need to learn how to adjust to living while sober.
Often the ten step programs are vital to some being successful following a stint in rehab. It's about accountability, too.

David Harrington's father is heartbroken as are so many victims. It's a mystery but cops say no foul play.

"Harrington doesn’t argue with the test results, but he wants to know how the drugs got into his son’s system, because he doesn’t believe his son knowingly or willingly took the drugs.

“I’m not buying it,” says Harrington, 57 ..."

What are suitable choices for rehab facilities in KC? Depending on the addiction, there are 30, 60, and 90 day therapies. The first week of detox must be brutal. omg After that, he'd need to learn how to adjust to living while sober.
Often the ten step programs are vital to some being successful following a stint in rehab. It's about accountability, too.

David Harrington's father is heartbroken as are so many victims. It's a mystery but cops say no foul play.

"Harrington doesn’t argue with the test results, but he wants to know how the drugs got into his son’s system, because he doesn’t believe his son knowingly or willingly took the drugs.

“I’m not buying it,” says Harrington, 57 ..."
I am sure detox is never fun. But depending on the type of rehab setting chosen, JW may have been given drugs to ease the symptoms. If he is in the minority of withdrawing alcohol abusers, he may have needed drugs to prevent DTs/seizures. That could have quickly lengthened a rehab stay.

I agree the men may not have started out the evening intending to take fentanyl. But it would be hard to convince me (with what I know now) they didn't know they could be taking fentanyl. (I wonder if any test strips were found on them or in their vicinity?) And I'm just not buying they didn't know they were taking cocaine. Of course, I'm sure they didn't think they would die and didn't intend to die.

If there is a wrongful death lawsuit, I'm betting the idea that DH didn't know he was taking drugs won't be part of it. I expect some of the quoted comments from the families & girlfriends simply show the evolution of their grieving. Grief is hard enough, public grief must pose its own set of challenges.

In the article below published in mid-Feb, the idea that peer pressure led to DH's drug use was raised by the family. (That possibility was discussed here on WS when the family raised it.) But it's hard to be pressured into taking drugs yet not know you were taking drugs. And at the point he was speaking to the reporter in the link below DH's dad said: “The further we go along, honestly, the less interest I have in it. Because nothing’s really gonna change, I’ve already said my goodbyes to David. And I really don’t care what they (investigators) do anymore. And you can quote me on that.”

It's very sad. But I do hope the Mar 8 People mag report @grannygates cited above about a lawsuit and PI isn't the result of a predatory attorney latching onto DH's family.
MOO

It's very sad. But I do hope the Mar 8 People mag report @grannygates cited above about a lawsuit and PI isn't the result of a predatory attorney latching onto DH's family.

RSBM

This is my concern also. Not only predatory attorneys, but predatory PIs taking advantage of desperate families. There are some great attorneys and some great PIs, but there are also many who just want to take your money.

RSBM

This is my concern also. Not only predatory attorneys, but predatory PIs taking advantage of desperate families. There are some great attorneys and some great PIs, but there are also many who just want to take your money.
Good point. In recent cases I've been following I'm more aware of some questionable tactics by attorneys. But you are quite correct PIs can wreak havoc too, and have done so in some high-profile cases. These people may be in it only for immediate money or may be seeking fame for future fortunes, but either way they are preying on/using grieving people.

The changing perspectives discussed by the Kansas City families may just be the changing faces of grief. It's only been two months after all since the men's bodies were found. But some of the comments have the "flavor" to me of outside influences.
MOO

Let's pretend that we could sleuth anybody and everybody on this case (i know we can't and i am not going to and i am not saying anyone should) what would you even sleuth?

What can p.i.s even do? (That the police can't)

ETA: i guess what i am trying to say is i don't think there's a lot of evidence scattered around various places. But maybe I am wrong.

Let's pretend that we could sleuth anybody and everybody on this case (i know we can't and i am not going to and i am not saying anyone should) what would you even sleuth?

What can p.i.s even do? (That the police can't)

ETA: i guess what i am trying to say is i don't think there's a lot of evidence scattered around various places. But maybe I am wrong.
I don’t even know how a person would go about testing or investigating this.. but determining/testing physiologically whether the men had a history of drug use prior to this night? Would a medical examiner be able to tell if drugs had been ingested prior to that evening as well or would past drugs be out of the system?

The family is saying no, absolutely not. My immediate thought was that the men simply didn’t disclose their drug use to their spouses and families (which IMO is very common). Outside of testing for that.. I’m wondering with you… what else can be sleuthed to prove this was not an accidental fentanyl poisoning situation ?

I don’t even know how a person would go about testing or investigating this.. but determining/testing physiologically whether the men had a history of drug use prior to this night? Would a medical examiner be able to tell if drugs had been ingested prior to that evening as well or would past drugs be out of the system?

The family is saying no, absolutely not. My immediate thought was that the men simply didn’t disclose their drug use to their spouses and families (which IMO is very common). Outside of testing for that.. I’m wondering with you… what else can be sleuthed to prove this was not an accidental fentanyl poisoning situation ?
I think you might be able to tell that from hair analysis.

But, i am not sure how precise it is.

Also, i think one or more of them were cremated.

Eta... This sounds like it will test opiods for past three months. But, idk if it can tell details or not (such as a small dose three months ago versus abuse levels)

I have heard of private investigators being useful in cases that involved a certain amount of travel or had fiddly details involving witnesses. So, they're able to check out even more places or talk to people who won't talk to police.

Idk... There might be something here that we just don't know anything about because the information has never been released that they could look into. JW did speak to the police, he might have told them something (that's not illegal or that he didn't personally do/doesn't have more information about) that maybe a p.i. could look at? Idk... Jmo, not sure anything like this even happened at all just because of the way the police acted after talking to him.

Good point. In recent cases I've been following I'm more aware of some questionable tactics by attorneys. But you are quite correct PIs can wreak havoc too, and have done so in some high-profile cases. These people may be in it only for immediate money or may be seeking fame for future fortunes, but either way they are preying on/using grieving people.

The changing perspectives discussed by the Kansas City families may just be the changing faces of grief. It's only been two months after all since the men's bodies were found. But some of the comments have the "flavor" to me of outside influences.
MOO
If you look at the Go Fund me link provided in that article you will see that DH's father wants to sue DH's mother to get back some belongings of DH that were kept in his room. None of that GoFund makes sense to me because it states that the GoFund was made by DH's wife. Now according to law, if he had a wife, she would be the one that would be entitled to his belongings, not his parents. And fighting over a jacket and and a hat? Really?

If you look at the Go Fund me link provided in that article you will see that DH's father wants to sue DH's mother to get back some belongings of DH that were kept in his room. None of that GoFund makes sense to me because it states that the GoFund was made by DH's wife. Now according to law, if he had a wife, she would be the one that would be entitled to his belongings, not his parents. And fighting over a jacket and and a hat? Really?
Hmm. Interesting. But I believe the person was not DH's wife but his father's current wife, DH's stepmom.

After a death, unfortunately families do fight over things that can seem weird to "outsiders." And that can happen even in families that swear it won't (especially with sentimental items or items that had been given to the deceased by a surviving family member.)
MOO

I really feel for the families and understand the human nature need to place blame somewhere. I just don’t see this being a successful wrongful death suit. They admit the 3 may have been casual drug users. At least one had some criminal drug history. The idea that the drugs were consumed due to peer pressure seems like a stretch and difficult to prove. Without knowing who made this specific purchase, I suspect this wasn’t the first time they purchased and used drugs from the same dealer. I think their phones will prove that. The only person who may be “at fault” is the dealer IMO. If they can find him.

This appears to me that the 3 deceased were victims of their decision to partake in a bad batch of uncontrolled substances.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back