MO - Grief and protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
its just a damn shame that all this started over jaywalking, heard his parents on the news talking about how much he was looking forward to college (would have started today) how proud they were of him for getting thru high school, and how much his little brother looked up to him... what a waste, over nothing.

I have my doubts that it was over "nothing". We will have to wait until after the investigation to find out.

I have my doubts that it was over "nothing". We will have to wait until after the investigation to find out.

police and witnesses have both said that the incident started over jaywalking, that is what i was referring to as "over nothing". the incident started over nothing, in my opinion, with no insider knowledge, and not claiming any expertise in jaywalking laws...

police and witnesses have both said that the incident started over jaywalking, that is what i was referring to as "over nothing". the incident started over nothing, in my opinion, with no insider knowledge, and not claiming any expertise in jaywalking laws...

Do you have a link that states police said the incident started over jaywalking? I haven't seen that.

things are getting heated in ferguson again tonight, riot police back out.

they just showed a riot cop on CNN saying (presumably to protesters, couldnt tell) "all you f'n animals bring it! i dont give a f."

he may have a meeting with his supervisor in his future...

I'd probably feel the same way if I were facing a crowd of potential rioters and looters. After all, that is what happened last night.

Riots in Missouri Turn Legitimate Outrage over Teen's Shooting into 3-Ring

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/08/11/Riots-in-Missouri

"The peaceful protesters must be separated from the rioters and looters. Anyone who says the public shouldn't have the right to peacefully assemble and address their grievances with government should check that pocket Constitution carefully before commenting."

"On the other hand, the rioters and looters are the lowest form of disease in America. If their anger was genuine, the police station, police cars, and the Mayor's office would have been the targets of their ire. Wal-Mart, QuikTrip, the cell phone store, and Up N Up Fashion had nothing to do with Michael Brown's death. It was just their opportunity to get something for nothing, and they took it."

"Today, the story will not be about Michael Brown. Sane people should understand the death of Michael Brown deserves a full investigation, but instead the insane will pull Michael Brown's death into an indictment of America as a whole. Black America will excuse the inexcusable behavior witnessed in Ferguson, MO, and if a new age of black voices aren't heard, the likes of Al Sharpton will ensure the next riot is only one bad cop away."

I'd probably feel the same way if I were facing a crowd of potential rioters and looters. After all, that is what happened last night.

90 something percent of the protesters have no interest in rioting and looting, so to label them all as a crowd of potential rioters and looters seems untoward.

regardless, im sure his supervisors will not be pleased by it no matter his motivation. there is a specific inflammatory nastiness to those words used in this situation.

90 something percent of the protesters have no interest in rioting and looting, so to label them all as a crowd of potential rioters and looters seems untoward.

regardless, im sure his supervisors will not be pleased by it no matter his motivation. there is a specific inflammatory nastiness to those words used in this situation.

Rioting, looting, and shooting at LE is rather a bit of inflammatory nastiness itself, and can be deadly. But, that's just my opinion. I think looters outght to be shot, and rioters arrested, along with those who assault LE. Again, only my opinion.

When are people going to realize rioting does nothing to help the situation? When are people going to understand that business owners are hurt when people wreck their establishments and steal their merchandise, whatever it is? When are people going to realize all of us need to leave justice up to our court system?

I found this story and it's the first I've read of a physical struggle in which the cop was pushed into his squad car.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e84a46-2021-11e4-9b6c-12e30cbe86a3_story.html

Same day this event occurred, I was reading St Louis Post Dispatch website http://www.stltoday.com/
and saw a ref to multiple youths. And a youth and LEO struggling over the LEO's gun, before the shooting.
No link, just my memory. Several stories on the site since then.

As mentioned in most national MSM stories, Ferguson is a small, close-in suburb of StL.
SL Post Dispatch is virtually only daily left in metro area.

Rioting, looting, and shooting at LE is rather a bit of inflammatory nastiness itself, and can be deadly. But, that's just my opinion. I think looters outght to be shot, and rioters arrested, along with those who assault LE. Again, only my opinion.

When are people going to realize rioting does nothing to help the situation? When are people going to understand that business owners are hurt when people wreck their establishments and steal their merchandise, whatever it is? When are people going to realize all of us need to leave justice up to our court system?

i agree with everything except the shooting looters thing, but would you agree that the vast majority of the people protesting are not looters or rioters?

For what it's worth:
Although a 'suburb' of St. Louis, Ferguson is older, 'close-in' suburb, and
over past 30-50 yrs, has experienced a lot of 'white-flight' as St L. itself.

This from perspective of a local writer, specifically about the event & aftermath:
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/relationships-and-special-occasions/parenting/aisha-sultan/why-ferguson-burned-explaining-st-louis-area-riot-to-kids/article_725f501f-ba21-538a-acaf-f00221add91d.html"
For those who have been on the receiving end of disrespect, mistrust, suspicion or brutality, the impulse is to believe Brown was brutally gunned down.
For those who are fearful anytime they cross into the city limits, most likely only for a sporting event, the young man must have done something to "deserve" his fate.
These perspectives largely fall along racial lines.
It's a false dichotomy, a lazy narrative, to see this region as divided among racists whites and angry blacks. That's not reality in many neighborhoods and families here. But it's the loudest, most visible part of the discourse. Like much of America, St. Louis has an undeniable problem talking about or dealing with issues involving race.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ferguson-Missouri.html#ixzz3A97Gwn3N

Population in 2012: 21,135 (100% urban, 0% rural).

Residents of Ferguson (no date, excluding % < 1%)
Black alone - 13,753 (64.9%)
White alone - 6,494 (30.6%)
Two or more races - 437 (2.1%)
Asian alone - 263 (1.2%)

Estimated median household income in 2012: $36,121 (it was $35,647 in 2000
Ferguson:
$36,121
MO:
$45,321

Full-time law enforcement employees in 2011, including police officers: 63 (54 officers)
Officers per 1,000 residents here:

Police respond to St. Louis Galleria following fight
http://www.kmov.com/news/just-posted/Reports-St-Louis-Galleria-evacuated-following--270826041.html

RICHMOND HEIGHTS, Mo. -- Officers with the Richmond Heights Police Department responded to the St. Louis Galleria Monday evening. The Galleria has closed.

Police said a group of teenagers got into a fight. As many as 40 reportedly people became involved.

This is getting more tense.

The upscale shopping mall Galleria is several miles away from Ferguson, where the shooting occurred.

Family of slain teen call for nonviolence, witness to come forward

"Michael Brown&#8217;s parents on Monday emphatically rejected police accounts of their son&#8217;s fatal shooting by an unnamed officer on Saturday, calling on witnesses to step forward with information that would cast doubt on law enforcement&#8217;s version of events."

posted 4 hrs ago
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_bf0c44c4-3b22-570d-bd1c-78f1bc400cf2.html

The upscale shopping mall Galleria is several miles away from Ferguson, where the shooting occurred.

The timing is concerning. Hopefully it is not related.

the most detailed account from the friend i have found yet, goes into detail about the strat of the incident which i had not heard before;

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri

"Now, in line with the officer&#8217;s driver&#8217;s side door, they could see the officer&#8217;s face. They heard him say something to the effect of, &#8220;what&#8217;d you say?&#8221; At the same time, Johnson says the officer attempted to thrust his door open but the door slammed into Brown and bounced closed. Johnson says the officer, with his left hand, grabbed Brown by the neck.

&#8220;I could see the muscles in his forearm,&#8221; Johnson said. &#8220;Mike was trying to get away from being choked.&#8221;"

that is a whole lot different from "pushed him back in his car and went in after him trying to get his gun"...

later in that article it says that the police have not even interviewed that kid ! he offered to talk to them and they declined... if true, wth?

supposedly two people were sitting in a car right there when it happened, two more possible witnesses hopefully they saw everything.

there is a second witness statement and this girl tells the same story as the friend, she saw it from her house, says that michael was some distance away from the cop and he raised his hands and was shot several more times.

it is interesting to note that in the latest video of the police spokesperson (that was brought in from another department to investigate) he claims it as "fact" that brown purposefully pushed the officer back in his car and that there was a struggle for the officers weapon - he does not say 'the officer claims", he says "in fact, there was a struggle for the weapon in the car"...

could be an oversight, could be his mind is made up that that actually happened. note in my earlier post that the male friend witness offered to talk to police but they said no, he wasnt even interviewed at the scene (he initially ran home but then went back).

still not sure what exactly happened but it isnt looking good for this cop so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid