MO MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17, Belton, 4 May 2007 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, here it's usually a case of finding a body (often by fishermen) and then trying to figure out who it was, as opposed to knowing someone's there but can't find them.

Thank you for your kind words, LB and Busylady!

I was speaking the truth. You are one of a kind. :)

MO 7 & MO 78 is actually in Blue Springs, MO, not far from the Lake City Ammunition Plant. Off the southern edge of the plant property there's a Missouri Park & Rec firing range, where I've shot a few times. The Little Blue runs north-south in that area, a little over a mile west of that intersection. 78 crosses the river there.

Do you think the skull could be from some of the women that were dismembered? Remember when they were pulling female body parts out of the river what seemed liked daily?

Certainly could be. And once detached, it could have traveled a very long way on its own. I won't be surprised if they don't find any more of the body. I hope I'm wrong.

((((KSMIKE)))) Sorry I got carried away. Forgive me? It had been a long day and it just hit me wrong I guess.

I am glad they found a skull because, hopefully, it will have some teeth left to match to dental records. They can also do a reconstruction and come up with a fairly accurate description of the person.

Longview Lake, huh?! This certainly perks my interest.

((((KSMIKE)))) Sorry I got carried away. Forgive me? It had been a long day and it just hit me wrong I guess.

That's OK, I definitely understand long days. Believe me, it gives me no pleasure to describe a part of my community that way. But it seems that every time I think they can't do anything over there to make it worse, they figure out a way to prove me wrong. The violence that takes place in some areas over there is beyond belief.

That's OK, I definitely understand long days. Believe me, it gives me no pleasure to describe a part of my community that way. But it seems that every time I think they can't do anything over there to make it worse, they figure out a way to prove me wrong. The violence that takes place in some areas over there is beyond belief.

The one and only time I was in Kansas City, Missouri was in 1976 and it seemed to be a nice city. It must've undergone some changes in the 31 years since.

We deal with much the same thing here with North Tulsa and so I do understand. It is such a high crime area that most people stay as far away as possible. The people who do live there for the most part are the ones who don't have the finances to leave or are involved in the gang lifestyle themselves. Crime is rampant and people are too afraid to speak up due to retalliation.

The one and only time I was in Kansas City, Missouri was in 1976 and it seemed to be a nice city. It must've undergone some changes in the 31 years since.

There are areas of it that are wonderful, and much of the area is just beautiful. Incredible history, magnificent architecture. Some of the wealthiest families in the country live in KCMO. But that sector of the population that believes violence is the answer to their problems ruins it. Crime there has gone beyond stealing for financial gain, killing over new sneakers, etc.; now it's just killing for the sake of killing. Even very young kids are being killed as they sit inside their houses watching TV, either from stray bullets or a drive-by done on the wrong house.

Sadly, the effects of all this have spread south into the Grandview and Belton areas over the years, much the same way that the problems in the KCKS core have spread south on the KS side. IMO it hasn't spread as far, as fast, or as violently on the KS side as it has on the MO side, but Johnson County is a far cry from what it was 30 years ago also. The general elimination of common courtesy that has been lost everywhere, has been lost here as well. Common sense has taken a big hit as well, though not nearly as much as in some other parts of the country.

We owned a rental home in Grandview for 4 years (2 miles from where Kelsey was found). During the day it seemed like a very nice neighborhood. At night there was occasional gunfire; one kid was murdered about 2 blocks away during that time. In the same area there is an apartment complex that was the subject of a Cops episode. The 30-something couple that lived there had a food fight that became so violent that their faces were both bloody. That's the level of intelligence we're talking about in many cases.

I wonder how long it will take before they will tell us if the skull can be identified through dental records? It doesn't seem the press is jumping on this one like they did with the body that was found.

If you mean comparing to a known set of dental records, (i.e., Kara), probably a day. If you mean matching them up with all the unsolved missing in and around KC, that could take quite awhile.

I believe I heard the media mention they found other bones as well. I was doing something else, and just heard the end of the report.

Thank you for pinpointing the location, maps and me do not get along. I saw the Lake City Ammunition Plant but it looked like quite a distance to me from MO 7 & MO 78, but like I said maps and me do not get along. Wonder why the Independence police are handling not the Blue Springs police?

Thank you for your kind words, LB and Busylady!

As the crow flies, the skull site is exactly 19.2 miles from Kelsey's site, and exactly 24 miles from Belton High School.

On the roads (most direct route), I calculate 34.7 miles and 39 minutes drive time from the high school to the skull site (assuming it was found where the body was left and it wasn't carried downstream).

MO 7 & MO 78 is actually in Blue Springs, MO, not far from the Lake City Ammunition Plant. Off the southern edge of the plant property there's a Missouri Park & Rec firing range, where I've shot a few times. The Little Blue runs north-south in that area, a little over a mile west of that intersection. 78 crosses the river there.

Wow, I was away this weekend and when I got back this thread was so active I thought maybe they had found Kara or had a lead on her whereabouts. Truly sorry to hear that someone else's family is going to get some horrible news when the remains are identified. This is so sad that so many young women are missing in that area.

I know that LE very soon in the investigation of Kelsey said that ERH was not involved in what happened to Kara. But they never stated how they came to know that it definitely couldn't of been ERH. How did they rule him out of this case so completely so quickly? I still feel they must have some leads or something to rule him out..they couldn't go by just ERH's say so. So what do you think..do you think they may have info about Kara they haven't made public, inorder to be able to rule him out or do you think it is possible that he may still be involved in Kara's disappearance?
Deckside spoke about the possible sighting , remember the police sketch of that guy looked so much like ERH...but then they said that sighting was probably bogus.

I know that LE very soon in the investigation of Kelsey said that ERH was not involved in what happened to Kara. But they never stated how they came to know that it definitely couldn't of been ERH.

I don't think they completely ruled out ERH. From what I recall, they were just speculating.

I wouldn't characterize it as having ruled him out, although their comments could have been taken that way. They just said that at the time, they had no reason to believe he was involved, and I imagine that was true. I'm certain that all the agencies in the area are communicating with each other, every time some new piece of information is discovered, and they're all looking for any link that may be there. There's so much going on behind the scenes, out of the public eye.

With all the differences, both real and imagined, between the KS and MO sides of KC, we can take comfort in knowing that the LE agencies all around the metro area have a good track record of working together and sharing information to move cases along. John Robinson was a great example, and there are many others.

Really hate to ask this, but how long would it take for decomp to take place to the extent that the skull would become detached? I realize that alot comes in to play in that the weather, in water or out of water ect, but can it happen in a matter of months?

I would think it's possible, especially as fast as that river can run in a hard rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77