CONVICTION OVERTURNED MO - Kent Heitholt, 48, found murdered, Columbia, 1 Nov 2001

Murder verdict against Ryan Ferguson relied on confused confessor
By Chris Hamby
Special to The Star

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. | The Jefferson City Correctional Center is tucked against a hillside at the end of No More Victims Road.

Encircled by layers of chain-link fence and razor wire, the maximum security prison is home to Ryan Ferguson, who at 26 still has ahead of him most of the sentence he received for a 2001 murder and robbery he says he didn’t commit.

And others believe him.

They point to virtually the only evidence against Ferguson — the bizarre and muddled statements of his former high-school classmate and alleged accomplice.

“There’s almost nothing weirder than the Ryan Ferguson case,” said Richard Leo, one of the nation’s leading false confessions experts and a witness in a 2008 hearing, in an interview.

“I am convinced that Ferguson is innocent.”
---

lengthy and fascinating new article, first in a series, at
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/04/2497671/ferguson-day-one.html

thanks for these links!!!

he does have Kathleen Zelner representing him now. This should get interesting !!!

So why would Chuck implicate Ryan if he (Chuck) said he was the only one responsible?

So why would Chuck implicate Ryan if he (Chuck) said he was the only one responsible?

Originally Chuck stated that Ryan was involved and basically the jury bought his testimony. Chuck has since recanted IIRC in March of 2010 stating Ryan is not involved and now it is under appeal

Originally Chuck stated that Ryan was involved and basically the jury bought his testimony. Chuck has since recanted IIRC in March of 2010 stating Ryan is not involved and now it is under appeal

Since he said that Ryan was not involved but he was there. It's going to make Ryan look suspicious.

I don't know why he said Ryan was not involved but Ryan was there.

If Chuck is telling the truth, then I think he's trying to take Ryan down with him.

I don't know how it is in Missouri, But I know in Texas even if you did not commit a murder but you were there then you are just as guilty as the one who did commit the crime.

Since he said that Ryan was not involved but he was there. It's going to make Ryan look suspicious.

If Chuck is telling the truth, then I think he's trying to take Ryan down with him.

I don't know how it is in Missouri, But I know in Texas even if you did not commit a murder but you were there then you are just as guilty as the one who did commit the crime.

Seems many have filed new affadavits. Here is Chuck Erickson's that states that he was told by Crane that Ryan was going to plead guilty and implicate Ferguson and coersion by Crane

http://www.freeryanferguson.com/pdfs/exhibits/ex11.pdf

Seems the esteemed prosecutor was actually the one that showed Jerry Trump the newspaper not Trumps wife as he testified

Dang, seems he even coached his testimony

Well how about that Jerry Trump now states that he would now testify that he would be unable to identify Ryan Ferguson

http://www.freeryanferguson.com/pdfs/exhibits/ex6.pdf

I dont agree

I do believe that Judge Crane could be in big trouble :D

Dang i simply have to give Zellner credit she is GOOD!!!

'48 Hours Mystery' to feature Ryan Ferguson case, again.

The CBS show will feature Bill Ferguson’s fight to prove his son’s innocence. Ryan Ferguson was 21 years old when he was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in prison for the death of Kent Heitholt.

This is the 2nd time 48 Hours has featured the case. The first episode aired February 18, 2006.
http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=595536

You can watch the full episode from the first time 48 Hours came to Columbia here.
Dream Killer - 48 Hours - CBS News

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab