MO - Megan Meier, 13, Mentally Abused, Commits Suicide

That's good. I can't believe people of her age who acts like they're teens and yet many teens wouldn't say what she did. What she told this girl was just horrible.

IMO, this will open the floodgates for prosecution against people that use the internet to harm others. :clap::clap::clap:

Missouri governor signs Internet harassment bill

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D91KLMD80&show_article=1

snip

O'FALLON, Mo. (AP) - Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt signed a bill Monday outlawing cyberbullying, just miles from where a 13-year-old girl committed suicide nearly two years ago after being harassed on the Internet.

The bill updates state laws against harassment by removing the requirement that the communication be written or over the telephone. Supporters say the bill now covers harassment from computers, text messages and other electronic devices. "Social networking sites and technology have opened a new door for criminals and bullies to prey on their victims, especially children," Blunt said. "This new law will ensure that we have the protections and penalties needed to safeguard Missourians from Internet harassment."

LOS ANGELES -- A federal judge wants more time to consider a defense motion to throw out a case against a woman in a MySpace hoax that allegedly led a 13-year-old girl to commit suicide.

On Thursday, U.S. District Judge George H. Wu indicated he would likely reject the motion but wanted to look at arguments more closely. The trial is slated to begin Nov. 18.

Lori Drew, of O'Fallon, Mo., is accused of helping create a false-identity account on the social networking site and harassing her young neighbor with cruel messages.

http://www.kcra.com/news/17850079/detail.html

Thanks for the update. Personally, I hope they don't dismiss the case.

Me too. This women really needs to face the consequences for her actions. An adult, a mother to a teenage daughter herself should know better and she did know better but she is an immature, spiteful person who really, really needs to grow up, get a life and find something better to do than harrass teenage girls on MySpace. Perhaps a little time in prison might help with that.....

LOS ANGELES, CA - A federal judge in Los Angeles ruled Friday that evidence of a girl's suicide can be used by prosecutors against a woman charged in an internet hoax.

The ruling came just days before the trial of Lori Drew, 49, of O'Fallon, Missouri, who has pleaded not guilty to one count of conspiracy and three counts of accessing computers without authorization.

http://www.news10.net/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=50557&catid=5

A most excellent development. Go prosecutors! Lori disgusts me.

AMEN! I hope that this case can let others see how dangerous words can be.

A most excellent development. Go prosecutors! Lori disgusts me.

I agree... she is disgusting. I hope she pays for what she did to that little girl.

Lori Drew has garnered headlines because she has been painted as a vindictive mother whose actions allegedly led to a 13-year-old girl's suicide.

But when jury selection begins Tuesday in a Los Angeles federal courtroom, a judge said he would instruct jurors that the case is about whether the 49-year-old Missouri mother violated the terms of service of the MySpace social networking site, not about whether she caused the suicide of Megan Meier.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454125,00.html

Personally, I feel that bullying type crimes are bad enough in our schools these days. It made me sick to hear about this woman who not only involved herself in such a mean and childish bullying prank, but took things way too far. How a grown woman could EVER tell a child that the world would be better off without them, is TOTALLY beyond me. I hope the rest of her life, she is tortured by guilt for what she caused.

Justice for Megan. She sure was a beautiful girl.

Lori Drew has garnered headlines because she has been painted as a vindictive mother whose actions allegedly led to a 13-year-old girl's suicide.

But when jury selection begins Tuesday in a Los Angeles federal courtroom, a judge said he would instruct jurors that the case is about whether the 49-year-old Missouri mother violated the terms of service of the MySpace social networking site, not about whether she caused the suicide of Megan Meier.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454125,00.html

A very interesting way to charge this woman with a crime.

This is a very extreme case but if she is convicted of violating MySpace TOS then it will go a long in helping prevent cyber-bullying and cyber-harassment.

Of course she violated the TOS of MySpace. She will be found guilty and hopefully have the book thrown at her. She is very disgusting.

Unfortunately, many of us have seen this type of behavior from adults who have posted here in the past.

If she is found guilty perhaps the next step is to stop those who choose to disrupt websites with their harassment which is always a violation of any TOS.

But, the other extreme is clogging the courts with a bunch of Internet crap between people. No one wants that.

We can only hope that in extreme cases, like we have seen with our own eyes, this case will be a springboard for sites like ours to use the hammer of the law to smash these jerks who harass.

I hope Drew is found guilty and serves a full sentence. whatever it may be.
(I also hope someone beats her fat &**^%$$ when she's in prison.) How dare she taunt a young teen until she committed suicide. A 13 year old.

3_61_meier_megan.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Yes it's true this woman is an immature idiot,, and maybe she violated the terms of Myspace.. but I still say she is not 'responsible' for this girl's death. Guess what-- kids get teased, tortured, rejected, and so on by other kids (and sometimes adults) every day and have been since the dawn of time. They are either tough enough to take it and overcome it or they aren't. This girl was already troubled and nothing was stopping her from turning off the d*amn computer if it was making her upset. It's not like the bullies on the playground were forcing her to eat dirt every day.
I refuse to believe we are a society that has become so soft and helpless that we should be able to blame everyone else for our actions. It was HER choice to take her life like this... and onviously there was much more going here than meets the eye. Yes we must try to treat others with respect-- but at some point, we also MUST realize that we are responsible for our own actions and we cannot continually blame everyone else for our choices. Life is rough and painful and we are going to get hurt, beaten up, trampled on, treated like crap, shattered and torn apart, chewed up and spit out.. more than we could ever imagine in our wildest dreams. You need to teach your kids to deal with it- and that all the little dramas they experience in their teenage years are NOTHING!!- they can't stay sheltered forever. If they can't take the teenage stff, then how can they take what life is going to dish out when they are adults?

Yes it's true this woman is an immature idiot,, and maybe she violated the terms of Myspace.. but I still say she is not 'responsible' for this girl's death. Guess what-- kids get teased, tortured, rejected, and so on by other kids (and sometimes adults) every day and have been since the dawn of time. They are either tough enough to take it and overcome it or they aren't. This girl was already troubled and nothing was stopping her from turning off the d*amn computer if it was making her upset. It's not like the bullies on the playground were forcing her to eat dirt every day.
I refuse to believe we are a society that has become so soft and helpless that we should be able to blame everyone else for our actions. It was HER choice to take her life like this... and onviously there was much more going here than meets the eye. Yes we must try to treat others with respect-- but at some point, we also MUST realize that we are responsible for our own actions and we cannot continually blame everyone else for our choices. Life is rough and painful and we are going to get hurt, beaten up, trampled on, treated like crap, shattered and torn apart, chewed up and spit out.. more than we could ever imagine in our wildest dreams. You need to teach your kids to deal with it- and that all the little dramas they experience in their teenage years are NOTHING!!- they can't stay sheltered forever. If they can't take the teenage stff, then how can they take what life is going to dish out when they are adults?

Wow... Ok, let's hit the main point I see in this post.

We're not talking about kids teasing another kid. We're talking about an ADULT, a responsible adult, who knows right from wrong, who took a situation she should have stayed out of or handled the proper way, and purposefully manipulate, harass, and malign a CHILD until this child felt and believed that she was a piece of s**t and didn't deserve to live.

A child... talk about "teaching" a child correctly. What in this situation did this woman teach her own child? It's OK to manipulate, harass and malign other people if it suits your own purpose? It's OK to be a slime ball of a human being because... "this is what life dishes out" so take it"?

Geesh! Give me a break... No human being with morals and values treats another adult in this manner let alone a child. What happened to a society where giving a damn and teaching YOUR children right from wrong?

Wow... if this post indicates the attitude of our society, is it any wonder we have serial killers and slime who rape our children?

Wow... Ok, let's hit the main point I see in this post.

We're not talking about kids teasing another kid. We're talking about an ADULT, a responsible adult, who knows right from wrong, who took a situation she should have stayed out of or handled the proper way, and purposefully manipulate, harass, and malign a CHILD until this child felt and believed that she was a piece of s**t and didn't deserve to live.
A child... talk about "teaching" a child correctly. What in this situation did this woman teach her own child? It's OK to manipulate, harass and malign other people if it suits your own purpose? It's OK to be a slime ball of a human being because... "this is what life dishes out" so take it"?

Geesh! Give me a break... No human being with morals and values treats another adult in this manner let alone a child. What happened to a society where giving a damn and teaching YOUR children right from wrong?

Wow... if this post indicates the attitude of our society, is it any wonder we have serial killers and slime who rape our children?

I so agree, we all have a responsibility to ALL children should we find a situation such as this.
We cannot save the world yet we can use our best judgment and do what we can (sometimes we cannot) to HELP a child, never never never HURT a child no matter what, words hurt period.

(CBS/AP) The grieving mother of a Missouri girl told a jury Wednesday how her daughter hanged herself with a belt after receiving cruel messages on her MySpace account, some of which were from a boy whose identity was later revealed to have been invented by a neighbor.

Prosecutors said it's the nation's first cyber-bullying trial and its results could set a legal precedent for dealing with the issue of online harassment.

Tina Meier recounted how "Josh Evans" interacted online with her 13-year-old daughter, Megan, during the first day of the trial against Lori Drew, who is accused of taking part in the Internet hoax that prosecutors say led to Megan's suicide.

Meier said after a name-calling exchange between Megan, "Josh," and two other girls in October 2006, she told a sobbing Megan, who was being treated for attention deficit disorder and depression, that she wasn't supposed to be online and shouldn't have gotten into the argument.

"The last words she said to me were 'You are supposed to be my mom, you are supposed to be on my side,"' Meier said as she tried to hold back tears.

Meier said she ran later upstairs and found Megan hanging in the closet with a belt around her neck. She died the next day.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/20/tech/main4619671.shtml

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,1167538.story

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The fate of a Missouri mother accused of conspiring in a MySpace hoax that allegedly led to a 13-year-old girl's suicide is now in the hands of a jury.

In Monday's closing arguments, prosecutors stressed the emotional component — the suicide of Megan Meier who was allegedly drawn into an Internet ruse devised by Lori Drew, the mother of Megan's one-time best friend.

She is accused of conspiring with her daughter, Sarah, then 13, and her 18-year-old assistant to cause emotional distress to Megan.

The jury was to begin deliberating Tuesday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back