MO MO - Shemika Cosey, 16, Berkeley, 29 Dec 2008

518bc7661680d.image.png

Shemika, 16, was staying at a relative’s house in Berkeley. The family woke up the next morning, and Shemika was gone. There were no initial signs of foul play — no forced entry, and nothing disturbed in the house — but Berkeley police are still investigating it as a missing person case. Call Berkeley police, 314-524-3311, with information.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ion_f5d06308-324f-50cf-b202-08d004abdb6e.html

Regina Sykes is especially concerned that two others, Kelly L. Allen, 20, and Shemika Cosey, 16, have been missing from Berkeley for years. Jackson, the acting police chief, said he believes there is no connection.

Allen disappeared in 2007, after spending a night at a friend's apartment in the 8600 block of Frost Avenue in Berkeley. Cosey was staying at a relative's house in 2008 when relatives woke up one morning and found her gone.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_c0013e46-3cc7-5780-bc03-ab0c66576da7.html

Dec. 28 marks the eight-year anniversary of the disappearance of Shemika Cosey from Berkeley in north St. Louis County, but her mother gives as much support as she gets in the search for her missing daughter and other missing women in the area.
Shemika's family will hold a vigil in her honor, but even as people gather around her for support, Cosey's mother is lending strength to other North County families with with missing children.
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/mother-of-missing-girl-lends-her-strength-to-others/378496250

Is this the place she went missing ?
Google Maps

Berkely has a population of only 9000. Somebody has to know what happened to her. However, its close to St Louis so she couldve gone there. Maybe somebody picked her up and she sneaked out or there is something fishy with her dissapearence.

...SBM

Cosey was 16 years old at the time, and was in and out of the home several times that night. There was someone fighting for her attention outside. When everyone woke up in the morning, Cosey was gone.

“The door was cracked. Her coat and purse was gone. But her overnight bag was still there,” says Hill.

Police discovered an unlocked door, and decided that Cosey had run away, so they never searched for the girl, according to Hill.

...SBM

"Do I believe she left on her own with someone? Yes," says Hill. “But she was intending to come back. She was intending to come back home. She was not intending to stay gone for 10 years.”

Hill says there were signs someone had a hold on her daughter. She once saw her inside a dark sedan with a much older man. She worried her teenage girl was smoking marijuana, and says she once a discovered a fake ID that her daughter was using to sneak into local nightclubs.

Hill worries her daughter is the victim of sex-trafficking.

...SBM

Hill she broke down in tears the day she and her two other children moved, and the day she was forced to change the number to her cell phone.

“Yeah, it was very hard. I was in the store crying my eyes out. The number -- the only number that she knew. And I had to get all that changed. It's like, I always wonder, like, is she going to be able to find me? If she get away, she gotta find me.”

During her move, Hill found three notebooks with written messages her daughter had passed to a friend in class, just a few months before her daughter’s disappearance. In them, the 16-year-old talks about a boyfriend, and that she might be pregnant.

Hill has not given the notebooks to investigators.

“Why didn't they come to my house and search her room when she came up missing?” Hill says. “I mean, 'cause they didn't care. So why should I give these to them?"

Major Art Jackson, an African American officer at the Berkeley Police Department, tells us his team could use the notebooks, and cites them as an example of the strained relationship that law enforcement has with the family. But police also report that calls are now starting to come in about Shemika, after all these years.

“Two weeks ago, we got -- we got a call,” Major Jackson says. “And we're gonna follow up on any and all leads that we get.”

Mom searching for answers after daughter 'vanished without a trace' 10 years ago

If mom was smart she would photo copy the entirety of the notebooks and give the originals to police. There is something wrong when one allows their pride and ego to interfere with finding their child.

Give the notebooks to the authorities so they can proceed with that avenue of investigation.

Please come home safely Shemika.

If mom was smart she would photo copy the entirety of the notebooks and give the originals to police. There is something wrong when one allows their pride and ego to interfere with finding their child.

Give the notebooks to the authorities so they can proceed with that avenue of investigation.

Please come home safely Shemika.

I tend to agree. The mother is not a trained detective that may be able to decipher more than just what she's reading on the page. The PD can look into the notebooks with a different perspective. It's not benefiting anyone by her "punishing" (MOO) the PD by keeping the notebooks from them. I'd be doing everything I could to get answers.

If she was pregnant, that's motive for someone to disappear her. Especially if the person was an adult.

I really want to believe she is out there somewhere. I hope this case has resolution soon.

Shemika Cosey disappeared without a trace just a few days after Christmas in 2008.

Her mother said her daughter had been watching movies with her cousins on that day, but when everyone woke up the next morning, she was gone.

At the time, police believed that because the door to the family's home just outside of St. Louis, Missouri, was unlocked, Shemika must have run away. For this reason, they ultimately chose not to launch a search for the teen.

"Her belongings, her overnight bag were still left on the counter in the house and she was never seen again," she explained.

shemika-family-handout-photo-thorbecke_hpEmbed_3x4_384.jpg

Families of missing black Americans fight for media, police to focus on their cases

I think she met up with a dangerous man, and her case didn't get the attention it needed and deserved from the start. A teen "runaway" is always in danger, IMO.

Information from CP. Portions bolded by me.

Shemika Keyanta Cosey – The Charley Project

shemika_keyanta_cosey_1.jpg shemika_keyanta_cosey_2.jpg cosey_shemika5.jpg cosey_shemika6.jpg cosey_shemika7.jpg cosey_shemika_ap.jpg

Shemika, circa 2008; Age-progression to age 26 (circa 2018)

Details of Disappearance
Shemika disappeared from Berkeley, Missouri between 1:30 and 8:30 a.m. on December 29, 2008. She was last seen at her aunt's home in the 6000 block of Napier. That night she left the house and came back inside several times. When her family woke up in the morning, she was gone. Shemika's clothes, overnight bag and most of her other belongings were inside the residence; she took only her purse and jacket. She didn't have a cellular phone. The front door was unlocked, and there were no indications of foul play.
Authorities believe she left of her own accord. Shemika's mother also thinks her daughter left voluntarily that night, but doesn't believe she would voluntarily stayed gone for as long as she has. Prior to her disappearance, her mother had caught her with a false identification card which she used to get into local nightclubs. Her mother had feared she was smoking marijuana, and she once seen her getting into a dark-colored vehicle with a much older man. The police have not identified this man but would like to interview him, as they think he could have useful information.
Years after Shemika's disappearance, her mother found a notebook which included written messages her daughter had passed to a school friend. A few months before she went missing, she had written about a boyfriend and that she might be pregnant. The police interviewed the boyfriend, but he didn't provide any helpful information. Shemika's friends didn't provide much information either.
Shemika may still be in the local area. She has been known to frequent East St. Louis, Illinois. Her mother fears she became a victim of sex trafficking, but little evidence is available as to her fate.

Some agencies give the date of her disappearance as December 28 or December 30.

Investigating Agency
Berkeley Police Department 314-524-3311

I wonder how they determined she left the house more than once the night she went missing.
Sounds like her boyfriend is a different person than the male with the car she was seen with. Obviously there is information missing, but I would guess someone knows who that man was and hope they know it's never too late to provide LE with that information.

Shemika, you are not forgotten.

Searching for Shemika FB group -
Searching for Shemika Cosey Official Facebook Page/Share the page and the flyer
https://twitter.com/SforShemika
email: shemikacosey@gmail.com
Berkely, MO

16-year-old Shemika Cosey was last seen at a relative's home at 1:35 a.m. in the 6000 block of Napier in Berkeley. She was last seen wearing a tan colored Old Navy jacket and blue jeans, with her hair pulled back in a short ponytail
A relative of Cosey found the front door to the home unlocked and Shemika's belongings were still inside. A cousin suspected she had just left the residence and would return soon. There was no evidence of foul play and it is believed she left voluntarily. Police said all their leads are exhausted.
Cosey did not report to school and has not spoken to anyone since her disappearance.

Jan 5, 2024
''JOPLIN, Mo. (KSNF/KODE) — Shemika Keyanta Cosey from Berkeley, Missouri went missing when she was 16-years-old. In December of 2008, Shemika was staying the night at her cousin’s house in Berkley, Missouri, just a few days after Christmas. When everyone woke up in the morning, they noticed Shemika was gone.

To help reignite public interest in the case, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) released a new age progressed image of Shemika Cosey — showing what she would look like today at the age of 31.''
1704552264631.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back