MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #4

The prosecutor wishes the alleged victims "the best of everything"???? That's it?

Wow. Thank you very much.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/08/3478572/prosecutor-mohler-case-stumped.html

Prosecutor: Mohler case stumped judges and attorneys
March 8, 2012

"Alleged victims claimed they had been sexually abused for years by members of a Lafayette County family, but court records show their concern over medical privacy mired the horrific case in court. Finally this week, the prosecutor in the case dismissed all charges against five members of the Mohler family. In an interview Thursday, Lafayette County Prosecutor Kellie Wingate Campbell said her decision wasn’t based on a single setback but on a variety of issues dealing with multiple defendants and victims of decades-old crimes. “A case of this magnitude and of this complexity did present issues that stumped even the most seasoned attorneys and judges that looked at them,” Campbell said...."

and

"...A civil attorney representing the five alleged victims disputed the contention that her clients had been uncooperative. Rebecca Randles, a Kansas City lawyer who has represented the purported victims since December, said they have complied with all requests for documents and provided more items as recently as this week. “They have turned over all of their journals, all of their medical records, all of their pharmaceutical records, they’ve signed authorizations (to disclose medical information)..."

and

"...Campbell said in an August 2011 court filing that the purported victims “were stunned by the expansive media and internet coverage in this case and …they have serious concerns about their privacy.” In Thursday’s interview, Campbell was not critical of the alleged victims. “I wish the victims the best in everything,” Campbell said...."

More at link

No, I don't agree. There was no evidence to back up these peoples' claims, no sign of notes in jars, or the murder they said was committed or the sex slave who supposedly lived under the house. Sounds like false memory syndrome to me, so I don't blame the prosecutor for dropping it.

I made a solemn promise when I started researching cases involving pedophilia. I promised that I would always recognize and highlight cases where there was a recantation, a not guilty verdict or when charges were dropped. False allegations are brutal. I think I've fulfilled that promise. However, my heart feels very heavy about the Mohler case. I simply cannot believe that no abuse occurred. I'm not the only one.

Wanted to get this comment on our thread:

http://fox4kc.com/2012/03/08/allege..._campaign=Feed:+wdaf-news+(FOX4KC+Local+News)

Alleged Victims, Sheriff Upset Over Dismissal of Mohler Charges
March 8, 2012

"...Attorneys for the accusers say that they are angry that they will not have their day in court. “I think it would be fair to say they do feel cheated with regard to what Lafayette County did,” said attorney Rebecca Randles, who says that her clients are afraid for their safety. “They are physically afraid for their safety. The allegations, of course, were violent sexual abuse. Violence and even murder.”

Lafayette County Sheriff Kerrick Alumbaugh told FOX 4 by phone that he still believes the alleged victim’s story. “(I am) sick about this, really sick about it,” said Sheriff Alumbaugh. “Sick on behalf of the victims, sick on behalf of the amount of work put into this.....”

More at link

I don't buy these "victims" stories at all. Young children forced to have sex with a horse, and no medical records of physical injuries, no school records showing absenteeism? A murder with no evidence to show it ever happened, glass jars that appear to have evaporated, and all based on memories of things which supposedly happened when they were 5 and 6 and not recovered till decades later. The real victims here are the men who were falsely accused.

And as for that Sherrif bemoaning all the work he put in - well, if he worked so hard why didn't he turn up any evidence? The prosecutors of two counties have said they haven't enough evidence to proceed with this case, and I'm sure they know their job.

If I'm not mistaken, the alleged victims balked at turning over their personal records. According to the reports I've read, they feared that their personal information would become public. Not all realize that accusers' personal history is picked over with a fine tooth comb in the investigation and again at trial. That was our family's experience. We learned very very little about our children's rapist but every tiny detail about our children and our family was put out there for all to see. It's not for the faint of heart--that's for sure. I have no doubt that this is the reason that many families refuse to allow their children to testify. They've seen the bloodletting and don't want their child to endure such an experience....all because they've disclosed.

I fully agree that the accused were denied their day in court. That bothers me to no end as I realize that this case will cast a pall over the rest of their lives, whether or not they are innocent or guilty. It's clear that these five men will spend the rest of their lives under the microscope. This is unfortunate but unpreventable. My hope is that the community will allow them to "prove" their innocence through their comportment over the next few years. I wish them all the best. Truly, I do.

However, I have to be true to my heart and say that I'm most concerned about the adult children in this family who made the accusations and their close supporters and family members. I have the hardest time believing that a single one of them would choose to undergo the tribulations they have without some basis in fact. In my extensive research on this case, I stumbled upon just who these people are and what they've chosen to do with their lives. Without exception, they are honorable people, pursuing full lives and with upstanding reputations. They have children of their own and each seems dedicated to their families.

I still hold with the belief that the precursor of the accusations was the fact that grandchildren were being born and stepchildren were being brought into the larger family unit. I believe that the accusations and investigation will actually bring about greater safety for those children.

All is not lost...even though the case never came to closure.

I don't believe these allegations at all, I think these women have fallen prey to false memory syndrome. However, let's say its true - they still don't have any reason to be angry with the prosecutor. Hard as it no doubt is to have your personal life examined in open court, let's be realistic - if you accuse someone of forcing you to have sex with a horse you can expect your medical records to be requested by the prosecution, and also disclosed to the defense. That's not the kind of crime that can leave no physical trace, especially not on a child.

The prosecutor couldn't make a case out of thin air, and no jury in their right minds would take their word for it in the absence of corroborative evidence, so Ms Campbell was right to dismiss all charges. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back