Match! MO - St Louis Co, WhtFem UP5294, 31-35, below scenic lookout, Aug'90 *Cynthia Day*

Happyoldjojo,

Maybe I will do that...tomorrow. I doubt right now I would be able to get ahold of anyone. I would just hope to hear something back from someone!!

I went onto the Illinois State Police Website and Cynthia isn't even listed on their website as a missing person.

Also thank you to the rest of you sleuthers from the local area that knew about the PD not having alot of money, never hearing about the UID being found in MO, etc....this UID could be Cynthia and they never been compared!

The disapperance of Cynthia and when the UID was within weeks, and the locations are pretty close!!

If this is her, I will be happy that her family can have some closure, which should have came a long time ago!

Chaddylex - I agree with happyoldjojo that you might get more of a response on the Missouri side of the river. When I lived in illinois (15 years ago) East St Louis was an extremely high crime area that had a reputation as a lawless area. It wouldn't surprise me if they never checked UIDs close by when Cynthia disappeared. You've done great work on this!! I hope you get an answer soon!!

This is what I received back from the Missouri State Highway Patrol

Janell,
Sorry Janell, but I have not had a chance to check into case 5294. I will get together with the Sgt. that is over missing persons so she can help compare the case too. I will be out of the office and will return after Jan 18. I will get back to you that week.

Tracy Lehmen
Criminal Intelligence Analyst-HIDTA
Missouri State Highway Patrol
Division of Drug and Crime Control

tracy.lehmen@mshp.dps.mo.gov

573-526-6305
573-526-5577 (Fax)

I guess it's a start!!

Chaddylex- Awesome job I hope this is a match and the family can find some peace. It's gonna be a long week.

Thanks happyoldjojo,

I still never heard back from the police dept that is handling Cynthia's case...I called last Thursday... At least I heard from the Police Dept handling the UID.

Thanks happyoldjojo,

I still never heard back from the police dept that is handling Cynthia's case...I called last Thursday... At least I heard from the Police Dept handling the UID.

For the record, I had a friend go missing back in the 70's. The pd handling her cold case aren't as responsive to the family that's still looking for her as they wish they were. That's another reason to contact the family when it's apparent they're still looking for her. My friends sister has to stay on top of the pd involved in her missing sister's case, unfortunately their mother passed away without ever knowing. It really can help to contact the family because they can contact the pd and they usually know who gets the job done! JMO

Tracey from Missouri State Highway Patrol says that they will get back in touch next week. If I don't hear back, I will consider contacting her family.

Billylee, I know what you are saying is true, I just figured that I will give the cops "that should be responsible" - that are listed as contacts, a chance to see if this is a match.

Has your friends family had any luck with coming closer to finding their family member with help from the PD? It's a shame some are so lax, and then some cops give it their all... I think some cops think that cold cases aren't of any importance.

Tracey from Missouri State Highway Patrol says that they will get back in touch next week. If I don't hear back, I will consider contacting her family.

Billylee, I know what you are saying is true, I just figured that I will give the cops "that should be responsible" - that are listed as contacts, a chance to see if this is a match.

Has your friends family had any luck with coming closer to finding their family member with help from the PD? It's a shame some are so lax, and then some cops give it their all... I think some cops think that cold cases aren't of any importance.

The PD does help, but over the years, it's been almost 40 now, as can be understood, less attention is payed to the older cases. So my friend's sister says, and I'm trying to quote here "they have been not a responsive when a lead comes in". Anyway, at some point, a cold case, I imagine, becomes just that.....COLD. With the economy and city/state/county budgets flailing, it makes sense that something has to be dropped somewhere. All the more reason I think what "we" do can help provide man/woman power where it is needed is appreciated. I just wish there was/were more LE agencies putting out the information that might help us help them solve the cases! Seems to me within some agencies there's a weird feeling of needing to hold some cards to the chest that perhaps don't need to be and would/could give the public info that could just bust open a case. I dunno......just thinkin'

I read somewhere on here... (Can't remember where) that it's not good to contact the family members directly of missing people. I figured the Medical Examiners office would have the decency to at least give me a yes or no answer.

I will contact the police dept on Cynthia's flyer tomorrow... (It's almost 10pm). I hate making calls, I wish they had an email address. They listed both the Illinois State Police and East St Louis PD.

I will let you all know if I get a response!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I think you are correct not to contact the family. NamUs.gov says this:

How Can You Help?

Be Responsible

You can be active for the cause of missing and unidentified persons in a number of ways. The most important is this: If you have information about a missing or unidentified person, immediately report the information to the local law enforcement agency.

Do not put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. Investigation of missing and unidentified persons should be left to the proper authorities. Putting yourself in a potentially hazardous situation can complicate matters further.

Since this is a possible murder by the boyfriend you need to be careful.
Good work and good luck!

Thanks Brassband!

I am hoping that I hear something back next week about a possible match. I am happy at least that I received a reply back. If I don't hear back by the end of the month, I will email them again.

I am hoping to hear something back this week from the Missouri Highway Patrol....Keeping my fingers crossed!!

I sent another email to the Missouri Highway Patrol and got a quick response back:

Hey Janell,
You do not need to apologize. I am sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I just got back from vacation and I am trying to get caught up. I should have some time tomorrow or Friday to check out this case.

Tracy Lehmen
Criminal Intelligence Analyst-HIDTA
Missouri State Highway Patrol
Division of Drug and Crime Control

I'm glad I'm getting someone to respond to me. I called the LE twice that is in charge of Cynthia's case without a call back...

Hope you'll find out soon! It looks a good match to me.

Brassband,

I emailed Tracey @ Missouri Highway Patrol I believe on Monday. I didn't get a response. I am going to send another email now and put a read receipt attached to know if my email was read or not...this is driving me crazy not knowing!

Any news? I keep wondering, this one seems so darn logical! Did you submit to both sides and to the coroner directly? Just wonderin'. ( It took over a month for me to even hear back from a couple possibles I submitted :( and of course there's still no results. )

Nope Billy Lee... I haven't heard a thing. I emailed the Missouri Highway Patrol twice and haven't heard back since they told me they were going to look into the possible match a few weeks back. I even put a read receipt on the email and didn't get confirmation back!!!

I submitted to the PD that was handling Cynthia's disappearance and never heard back from them at all!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back