MO - Woman escapes from Excelsior Springs house, says she's been held against her will since September 2022

If it had been the victim asking to seal the records, I would have agreed. But does anybody really care what he wants? Sicko
In most cases like this, where there's a lot of pre-trial publicity, courts seal the records to protect the case as it moves to trial. His attorney is probably arguing this to ensure he gets a fair trial. It's a pain, but it would also be bad if it resulted in a mistrial or the verdict thrown out on appeal.

Details will come out at the trial.

If it had been the victim asking to seal the records, I would have agreed. But does anybody really care what he wants? Sicko

His heinous cowardly crimes are horrendous though. He stripped the victims of dignity and destroyed self-worth. Let us be kind to them for now. The evidence will be clear for a jury.

Is there a need to shout her pain and suffering to the world? Name what awful things she must have endured other than what's already known? It may give another bad guy wrong ideas.

Does anyone suspect already that this Haslett guy may be a serial killer? There's sickness in this world. Sometimes it's overwhelming.

Authorities believe there may be another barrel in the Missouri River with more evidence linked to the case of a white man accused of kidnapping, raping and holding a Black woman captive in the basement of his suburban Kansas City home last year

His heinous cowardly crimes are horrendous though. He stripped the victims of dignity and destroyed self-worth. Let us be kind to them for now. The evidence will be clear for a jury.

Is there a need to shout her pain and suffering to the world? Name what awful things she must have endured other than what's already known? It may give another bad guy wrong ideas.

Does anyone suspect already that this Haslett guy may be a serial killer? There's sickness in this world. Sometimes it's overwhelming.
I agree with you. It it should be done on her terms, not his. That’s my point. I don’t need to know exactly what happened and neither does anybody else except who’s in the court room. But he should not be allowed to make demands like that. He’s doing it for himself not her

Can anyone explain to me please? On what grounds does a perpetrator get to request the sealing of certain aspects of the case? I could understand if it was on grounds of national security or official secrets or some such where the information revealed could inform the public of things we don't already know about etc. But how's it relevant in this case?

defendants ask that things be sealed and pretrial publicity limited all the time. their theory is that by keeping some things sealed those things are less likely to taint the eventual jury pool with bias based on that pretrial coverage of info that will come out in the discovery process. MOO.

To my eye, he's screwed either way, sealed or not. He is a monstrous person who did monstrous things. there is no way to put lipstick on that pig.

defendants ask that things be sealed and pretrial publicity limited all the time. their theory is that by keeping some things sealed those things are less likely to taint the eventual jury pool with bias based on that pretrial coverage of info that will come out in the discovery process. MOO.

To my eye, he's screwed either way, sealed or not. He is a monstrous person who did monstrous things. there is no way to put lipstick on that pig.

Agree, his entire house is a crime scene. One of his victims is still living and can testify against him. That' just the beginning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back