Mom: 3-Year-Old Daughter Discriminated Against for School Photo

Yep, mountain out of a molehill. My son came home with school photos one year with no glasses too. They were done by lifetouch also. He simply had the retakes done. I included a note that he was to wear his glasses. Problem solved. If this mom thinks this is a major event then she is in for a very rough road.

Yep, mountain out of a molehill. My son came home with school photos one year with no glasses too. They were done by lifetouch also. He simply had the retakes done. I included a note that he was to wear his glasses. Problem solved. If this mom thinks this is a major event then she is in for a very rough road.

Agreed! And what 3-year-old is even in school yet? Preschool maybe, and they used a different company than Lifetouch.

I used to be an early education teacher. The littlle girl seemed bright but did have a special need. It was her teachers job to know she needed her glasses on and be her advocate. Preschool and early peer experiences are important for mainstreaming and child development.

I really don't believe it was done to discriminate against her, and it bugs me how fast we are to go to media with the slightest inkling of a story, and then media just runs with it.

Details I'd need to know before forming an opinion: Did mom bring up her concerns to the school? Did the school try to remedy the situation? Did she speak to the photographer? Were other children permitted to wear glasses (if no one wears glasses, it most certainly is NOT "discrimination")

JMO

People see things in photographs that they don't see when they look in the mirror, or look at their child.

I didn't notice my baby had strabismus (crossed eyes) until i saw it in a photo, and didn't realize how much my other baby's ears stuck out.

The mother, I believe, is just kind of surprised by what her child looks like and overreacted. Nobody's discriminating for God's sake to get a child to remove glasses for a photo. And honestly, when I look at the photo of her with the glasses, and then the school pic of her, the school pic is kind of startling. I didn't think it was a photograph at first - I thought it was a caricature.

I hope this sweet child doesn't ever learn what a fuss her mother made of what her picture looks like.

She is legally blind so she is really straining to see in the school photo. I don't think it's a flattering photo by any means.
Other children were photographed in glasses.
There was several photographs of the little girl taken while she was wearing glasses, and the one without glasses, that photographer picked. Apparently she was looking away in the photos of her with glasses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back