MS- 6 White officers subjected 2 Black men to hours of grueling violence, and then tried to cover it up

I’m going to look later. I’m just curious.
I also think they could have potentially gotten away with it as well.
I couldn't find the answer, but I wonder if the one who fessed up was also the one taking accountability. Doesn't lessen their crimes, but maybe one of them really does have a conscience.

Me too! Did any of the articles state there was a plea deal? I was wondering if their lawyers advised them that things would go worse for them if they went to trial. I do wonder how they'll fare in prison. Karma and all...

This article said that the plea deal for the federal charges is sealed. See my post #9.

I couldn't find the answer, but I wonder if the one who fessed up was also the one taking accountability. Doesn't lessen their crimes, but maybe one of them really does have a conscience.

What is interesting is that two of them received the “Top Cop” award, so they did have good impulses as individuals, but as a group not at all. One was Christian Dedmon (can’t find link right now) and the other was Joshua Hartfield, the Richland officer.

What is interesting is that two of them received the “Top Cop” award, so they did have good impulses as individuals, but as a group not at all. One was Christian Dedmon (can’t find link right now) and the other was Joshua Hartfield, the Richland officer.

The group dynamic was definitely terrible. I saw another article that stated the Richland officer resigned, and it's hard for me to keep everyone straight when sources report things differently. But Opdyke is the one I was tentatively praising for taking responsibility.

I have been wanting to post my outrage at a PLEA DEAL of any kind. THAT'S why they pleaded guilty.

Guilty of what is the question and we won't know because... sealed.

This thread should be bumped over and over for everyone to read. IMO

COREY JENKINS and EDDIE PARKER

I'm saying their names

Trying to make sure I understand. They pleaded guilty to federal charges earlier, taking a plea deal, and that's sealed. Then they pleaded guilty to state charges more recently -- was there a plea deal involved there as well?

Regardless, I hope they never see the light of day again. And I hope the victims are appropriately compensated, although I'm not sure what price you can ever put on someone's human dignity.

I have been wanting to post my outrage at a PLEA DEAL of any kind. THAT'S why they pleaded guilty.

Guilty of what is the question and we won't know because... sealed.

This thread should be bumped over and over for everyone to read. IMO

COREY JENKINS and EDDIE PARKER

I'm saying their names

Based on what AG Garland and others in the Justice Dept said (I quoted them in an earlier post), I don’t think the plea deal is going to be a light sentence. I’m OK with it if they spend a LOT of time in prison. After biting my nails during jury deliberation in the trial of Ahmaud Arbery’s killers, worried they’d get off, I’d rather have a done deal plea deal than risk a not guilty. A not guilty verdict would be even more likely in Mississippi than Georgia IMO. I expect the plea deal will be unsealed at sentencing in November, so we’ll know the details then.

Yes! Say their names. COREY JENKINS AND EDDIE PARKER.

Trying to make sure I understand. They pleaded guilty to federal charges earlier, taking a plea deal, and that's sealed. Then they pleaded guilty to state charges more recently -- was there a plea deal involved there as well?

Regardless, I hope they never see the light of day again. And I hope the victims are appropriately compensated, although I'm not sure what price you can ever put on someone's human dignity.

Yes, there is a state plea deal too.

Each of the men reached individual plea agreements that include prison sentences ranging from five to 30 years, court records show. Time served for the state charges will run concurrently with the sentences they are scheduled to receive in federal court in November following their pleas on Aug. 3.

The victims are suing for several million dollars ($400 million per DM) and have included the county and the elected Sheriff in the suit.

From the WaPo gift link in post #6 discussing the lawsuit when it was filed in June:

Jenkins and Parker are suing Rankin County; Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey; deputies Hunter Elward, Brett Mc’Alpin and Christian Dedmon; and three other unnamed deputies in the Southern District of Mississippi for carrying out and overseeing what their lawsuit describes as a sadistic torture session. The court complaint details new allegations in an incident that has already led to outcry in the community and prompted state and federal investigations into the sheriff’s office.

Both men filed a federal lawsuit in June, claiming that the officers illegally entered their home and handcuffed, kicked, waterboarded and tased them and attempted to sexually assault them. They are seeking $400million in damages.

The victims, Michael Jenkins and Eddie Parker, filed a federal lawsuit in June, alleging the officers illegally entered their home and handcuffed, kicked, waterboarded and tased them and attempted to sexually assault them across nearly two hours, before one of the deputies put a gun in Jenkins’ mouth and shot him.

The deputies, “in their repeated use of racial slurs in the course of their violent acts, were oppressive and hateful against their African-American victims,” the lawsuit says. “Defendants were motivated on the basis of race and the color of the skin of the persons they assaulted.”

Bailey had acknowledged his lax body camera policy failed. After the officers pleaded guilty, he promised to change it.

Malik Shabazz, one of Jenkins and Parkers' attorneys, said Bailey is “directly responsible for the vicious acts of his subordinates.”

Court documents unsealed by federal prosecutors suggest only some members of the Goon Squad participated in the illegal raid. There are other Rankin County deputies “known to the United States Attorney,” the documents say.

“We would certainly hope that they continue to investigate the Goon Squad and other outstanding claims that may exist against these officers, as well as other officers,” said Trent Walker, another attorney for Jenkins and Parker.

This link shows front and back photo of “Goon Squad” badge.
https://i0.wp.com/mississippitoday....itled-1-copy-scaled.jpg?resize=1568,995&ssl=1

McAlpin and Middleton, the two highest ranking officers, threatened to kill the other deputies if they said a word, according to court records.

Under their federal convictions, Dedmon and Elward each face up to 120 years in prison, plus a life sentence. Opdyke faces up to 100 years; McAlpin, up to 90 years; Hartfield and Middleton, up to 80 years each.

Seth W. Stoughton, law enforcement expert and professor at the University of South Carolina School of Law, called the acts “reminiscent of the most blatant racist abuses by police in the Jim Crow and Civil Rights era. This was a lynch mob of officers, pure and simple.”

The environment enabled the Goon Squad to operate, he said. “An investigator knew exactly who to call, and they knew exactly how to communicate to do something like this,” he said. “That’s not spontaneous, it’s the result of the tacit or explicit approval of the supervisors and agency.”

The first four have been sentenced:
Hunter Elward - 241 months (almost 20 years)
Jeffrey Middleton - 17.5 years
Daniel Opdyke - 17.5 years
Christian Dedmon - 40 years

The two remaining will get their sentencing on Thursday.

These law enforcement gangs are a huge problem across the country. The LA Sheriff's Dept. even has a wikipedia page for their gangs. Even when they aren't as widespread and it's just a couple of dudes giving themselves a dumb name, it's a problem.

They intentionally foster an us vs. them mentality with the citizens they are supposed to be protecting, dehumanizing them along the way. "Police officer" and "Sheriff's deputy" are jobs, and I think people really lose sight of things when their job becomes their identity.

Mississippi Today did an excellent story on other abuses committed in Rankin County by sheriff's deputies, including some of the named Goon Squad members.

Also, a few choice snippets from this article by Capital B:
“They should be given what they gave me and Michael Jenkins…which was No Mercy and the[y] should be given THE MAXIMUM SENTENCE,” Parker wrote in his prepared victim impact statement.

Moments later, Elward was granted the opportunity to say whatever he wanted before the judge decided his punishment. He faced Jenkins and Parker to apologize, CNN reported.

“I’m so sorry that I caused that. I hate myself for it,” Elward said. His public act of remorse moved Parker, who has been in therapy since the attack, to stand up in the courtroom.

“We forgive you, mane,” Parker said.
In court on Wednesday, Opdyke’s attorney, Jeff Reynolds, revealed that his client was the whistleblower, the Associated Press reported.
“What happened shouldn’t have never happened. Damien Cameron … would agree,” Parker said.

Cameron, 29, was allegedly beaten to death in 2021 while in the custody of Rankin County sheriff’s deputies that included Elward. A grand jury declined to indict the officers in October 2022.
And, a few choice links while I was reading up on this:
  • Excellent CNN article that goes into the emotion behind all of this. Expands on statements from the victims, perpetrators, and their respective families.
  • A Fifth Circuit Court brief that describes another time (2010) Brett McAlpin made unlawful and warrantless entry to a home, this time the incorrect home. The brief includes information on the decision that Brett McAlpin should be denied qualified immunity for unlawful entry and excessive force.
  • The Justice Department's press release on the guilty pleas.
  • The civil suit filed against the county, the sheriff, and 6 deputies.
  • The Black Lawyers for Justice page on this incident. Attorney Malik Shabazz, the President of Black Lawyers for Justice, has been representing Michael Jenkins and Eddie Parker in the federal lawsuit and for some other purposes.
  • A plea to the DOJ for federal prosecution by the Black Lawyers for Justice.
Everything about this case is shocking. LE sent 6 officers to a house because several (2) black men were there with a white woman. They then entered without a warrant, without knocking, and without any reason to think that doing so would increase the safety of the LEOs or the hypothetical white woman victim. Upon entering, they had no reason to believe the two men were "bad guys," but nevertheless decided to torture them. One deputy pulled a bullet out of his gun so he could pretend to shoot one of the men, and for some reason fired twice, actually shooting the man in his mouth and through his neck. The Goon Squad is accused of doing things like this before, with apparently no consequences. THEN one of them blows the whistle, and ultimately all 6 LEOs plead guilty. I've never heard of LEOs pleading guilty like this, but some of them seem to feel real remorse. And then one of the victims, Michael Parker, shows extreme grace to the man who shot him by telling him he forgives him, while still firmly believing that he should face harsh punishment.

Mississippi Today did an excellent story on other abuses committed in Rankin County by sheriff's deputies, including some of the named Goon Squad members.

Also, a few choice snippets from this article by Capital B:

And, a few choice links while I was reading up on this:
  • Excellent CNN article that goes into the emotion behind all of this. Expands on statements from the victims, perpetrators, and their respective families.
  • A Fifth Circuit Court brief that describes another time (2010) Brett McAlpin made unlawful and warrantless entry to a home, this time the incorrect home. The brief includes information on the decision that Brett McAlpin should be denied qualified immunity for unlawful entry and excessive force.
  • The Justice Department's press release on the guilty pleas.
  • The civil suit filed against the county, the sheriff, and 6 deputies.
  • The Black Lawyers for Justice page on this incident. Attorney Malik Shabazz, the President of Black Lawyers for Justice, has been representing Michael Jenkins and Eddie Parker in the federal lawsuit and for some other purposes.
  • A plea to the DOJ for federal prosecution by the Black Lawyers for Justice.
Everything about this case is shocking. LE sent 6 officers to a house because several (2) black men were there with a white woman. They then entered without a warrant, without knocking, and without any reason to think that doing so would increase the safety of the LEOs or the hypothetical white woman victim. Upon entering, they had no reason to believe the two men were "bad guys," but nevertheless decided to torture them. One deputy pulled a bullet out of his gun so he could pretend to shoot one of the men, and for some reason fired twice, actually shooting the man in his mouth and through his neck. The Goon Squad is accused of doing things like this before, with apparently no consequences. THEN one of them blows the whistle, and ultimately all 6 LEOs plead guilty. I've never heard of LEOs pleading guilty like this, but some of them seem to feel real remorse. And then one of the victims, Michael Parker, shows extreme grace to the man who shot him by telling him he forgives him, while still firmly believing that he should face harsh punishment.

Thank you for writing & posting this.

Kind of adjacent to this particular case, but anyone who is interested in the idea of a victim forgiving a perp, the action is explored a bit in the documentary Emanuel (which was about the Charleston, SC church massacre by DR on an African American church study group, killing 9 people in 2015). I always wondered how family members could extend forgiveness, especially so soon after the murders, & this documentary was what gave me an inkling of the hows & whys of doing so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back