MS MS - Hattiesburg, WhtMale 22-28, UP4746, hit by car, 'Steve Hex (Hicks)', red hair/freckles, Dec'98

Hedricks. The “h” is very breathy or airy when spoken. Almost like a sigh. Saying “Steven” could have left him out of breath making it difficult to pronounce the next word. He could have been trying for a “d” or “c” or any other letter. Dixon, Cox, Texas. KWIM?

I think the possibilities are endless.

I sent Steve's info to the Ocoee Detective.

Good work. The Steve you found is said to have a scar, etc while the UID supposedly didn't have any, and their ages are very different, but mistakes are made in descriptions of UIDs sometimes. And it's good that we are trying.
Ty. The scar held me up for a while, but scars can fade/be missed. The big question I had was the MP had webbed fingers and that wasn’t mentioned into UID. Regardless, I think it’s worth a rule out. Just in case.

I want to revive this thread because I am still so confused as to whether he was ID’d.

I’ve recently found that the man who hit him was charged with aggravated assault and DUI refusal. The UID was actually hit on December 12th, 1998. The man that hit him was charged in feb 1999, but in 2004 (yes, you’re reading that right), the case was dismissed due to lack of a speedy trial. In that court petition, it states the UID was deceased from causes not related to the accident.

Also, on my journey, I found that the man who hit him was tied to the “conservatorship for Steve hecks/Steve hex” (it was listed both ways) which was appointed to Wayne Smith who was the chancery court clerk in Forrest county (Hattiesburg, ms) at that time. He has since retired.

The original article (of him being hit) was published in the Hattiesburg American on Dec 13, 1998. He was hit on the afternoon of Dec 12. Two days after the accident, the newspapers posted the name of Michael curry as the victim. There is absolutely nothing after that date posted in newspapers.

I was in Hattiesburg when this happened. I now live in bay St. Louis (and grew up here) so this case is near and dear to my heart.

A few things I find odd…his DOD was May 1, 2002. This is the date that Hotel Reed closed for good and all patients was transferred elsewhere. Was he transferred also?

Also, the man that hit this UID was the father of a woman who was vying for Miss America during this same month…was this covered up because of this? She was Miss Mississippi at the time of the hit and run.

Last edited:
I want to revive this thread because I am still so confused as to whether he was ID’d.

I’ve recently found that the man who hit him was charged with aggravated assault and DUI refusal. The UID was actually hit on December 12th, 1998. The man that hit him was charged in feb 1999, but in 2004 (yes, you’re reading that right), the case was dismissed due to lack of a speedy trial. In that court petition, it states the UID was deceased from causes not related to the accident.

Also, on my journey, I found that the man who hit him was tied to the “conservatorship for Steve hecks/Steve hex” (it was listed both ways) which was appointed to Wayne Smith who was the chancery court clerk in Forrest county (Hattiesburg, ms) at that time. He has since retired.

The original article (of him being hit) was published in the Hattiesburg American on Dec 13, 1998. He was hit on the afternoon of Dec 12. Two days after the accident, the newspapers posted the name of Michael curry as the victim. There is absolutely nothing after that date posted in newspapers.

I was in Hattiesburg when this happened. I now live in bay St. Louis (and grew up here) so this case is near and dear to my heart.

A few things I find odd…his DOD was May 1, 2002. This is the date that Hotel Reed closed for good and all patients was transferred elsewhere. Was he transferred also?

Also, the man that hit this UID was the father of a woman who was vying for Miss America during this same month…was this covered up because of this? She was Miss Mississippi at the time of the hit and run.
WOW! This is the most anyone has ever found out I think! My mother told me of this man when she worked at a nearby hospital during the years leading up to & including 98 and I honestly thought he was a legend of sorts (dumb kid brain maybe...) til 2010 or so when I found out he had died years previous, nameless. Wow, you've maybe discovered the heart of the thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back