MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like an iPhone to me. Are you sure that isn't the front of an iPhone?

Well... After looking at the picture again I think that it could possibly be an iPhone (which was my first idea before I did the comparison). If there is a case over the phone, then it could explain why there is no Apple logo visible. Also, since I have small hands, maybe she could be holding the same phone as me. The camera thingy that is visible looks a lot like the iPhone 4s'. Same thing about the way the corners of the phone are cut.

:thinking::sheesh:

Here's a reminder that each member has a responsibility to know and adhere to TOS. I realize the social media activity has been unusually high and has accounted for confusion in this case. To help you, I've posted many warnings and reminders. Some of you have sent pm's when in doubt, and your cooperation is greatly appreciated. To the rest of you, I suggest you review TOS if you've not already done so. And if you have, it might be time for a refresher.

It is NEVER okay to sleuth family members of individuals, regardless of whether or not those individuals have been named as suspects in a crime. You should not expect a personal reminder from a mod to tell you that.

As to a certain action (accusation) suggested here tonight, it's too preposterous even to address. Perhaps the Geek Squad can be of assistance.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65794

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2279569

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91068

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267812

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91915

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66336

The batteries for iPhones are notoriously INaccessible. In fact, Apple only recently made SIM cards easier to switch out. The batteries are a major undertaking - almost guaranteeing an appointment at the Genius Bar. They do NOT pop out when dropped. I'll be back with a link.

ETA: there's a kit that runs $80US that you can DIY if you're tech savvy / so I stand corrected.

:blushing: The article mentions how the iPhone is the only smartphone that has an inaccessible battery (paraphrase):

How To Replace The iPhone 5's Battery - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2013/10/31/how-to-replace-the-iphone-5s-battery/

Found this when I went to look at the link:
Justice for Jessica Harassing her family and pretending to be detectives are not helping! These people say they know the family had nothing to do with it.. They just want justice.. Please enlighten me on how harassing Jessica's family is getting justice?? It's not! I sincerely apologize to ALL our loyal supporters that truly want Justice for Jessica.. I hope you can forgive my rude behavior.. I just felt I needed to say this.. There is still no news so the people giving false information is doing just that, giving false information. They're just people trying to stir up trouble.. Justice can only be found in the truth! Not a bunch of assumptions & lies.Thank you, Justice for Jessica

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1573137692923376&id=1551813758389103

Guess each of us need to decide for ourselves, in light of the attitudes of the family, what to do about further discussion of assumptions.

It looks like an iPhone to me. Are you sure that isn't the front of an iPhone?
How do we even know it is her phone? She was probably on a very limited budget with her job (imo) and being so young so how does a kid afford an iPhone anyway?

MOO. Even morons premeditate murder. Not well, but they do it all the time.

ETA so cell phone being at the scene is weird if fire was meant to destroy evidence. If fire was meant to murder, torture, maim, the cell phone was simply not thought of beforehand. For either reason stupid premeditation or non premeditation. Besides, premeditation can take place in seconds, and does not require weeks of plotting and planning by the law.

BBM. Or it was simply dropped out of a pocket in haste to leave the scene, for whatever reason. The crime was thought out too carefully for me to believe it was just left there sans battery. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the battery from a "wedged" phone and suffered no data loss whatsoever. Sure, you can brick a phone if you pull the battery during an OS update, but I've never seen a smart or not so smart phone brick by pulling the power during normal circumstances. Iphones are a different animal, you have to crack the case open to get to the battery, it isn't user serviceable. This however is the exception rather than the rule. Almost all phones outside the Apple camp have user serviceable batteries. Most everyone I know won't buy a phone if they can't get to the battery, young folks included. (Well at least the ones that aren't Iobsessed) :moo:

Aahhh! This is a great observation!! :) I'm smacking my own forehead here that it didn't even occur to me since I've been an Android user myself for the last couple years... the model I had for most of that time was a Samsung Galaxy S3. I try to be gentle-ish with my phone because I hate bulky covers... but I've always had a very thin cover for the back + corners of it.

I've dropped it multiple times (accidentally) over the course of owning it. The case once got a crack in it as did the screen, but never to my recollection did the battery pop out as a result of dropping it. The case may have helped in that, though.

But: I have never *thrown* it and no one that I'm aware of ever threw it or purposely tried to cause it any damage, either. An action with deliberate human force behind it (a throw, a punch, or simply dismantling it etc.) versus a fall or drop would probably do more damage and have a greater likelihood of the battery dislodging.

Without a protective cover on, both my previous Galaxy S2, and my current Galaxy S4 have given up the battery when dropped, we're both working with anecdotal evidence though, I'm sure there are conclusive drop testing results somewhere. Maybe later tonight I'll drop my old S2 100 times and get us a better sample :)

If they petitioned Googly for data records as noted, she certainly did have an Android, that narrows it down to about 120 active models, but anyone that wants a serious data hog buys a Galaxy or an Iphone.

While I'm still awake this is a vid of a Kia Rio and how fast it burnt after being set afire by vandals. No one was inside and this is not Jessica's car. Repeat. It is not. The vid is very short. And very interesting. :moo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnFrp4IqMMo

I really do hope that video was taken while zoomed in as far as possible! I would never in a million years get that close to a burning vehicle that had tires "exploding" from the heat. I'd be worried about a lot more serious things exploding!

The rumor about the 53 seconds missing from the surveillance tape, does anyone know if it would be possible to delete something from the CCTV?

Every DVR security system I've worked with does not offer the capability to selectively delete small amounts of footage like that. It's completely counter productive to the function of the device. You can erase all the data, or a certain amount of data, usually from the start of recording lets say 100MB, 500MB, 1GB, e.g. Some DVRs won't rollover or are set not to rollover so it's a space concern feature. However you can't zero in on a particular time and say, delete from 8:58 to 9:00. I wouldn't buy a DVR like that, and can't imagine the client who would. Further even if you could, examination in the native container would illuminate the missing footage glaringly.

As to the phone, I agree it is not a Samsung Galaxy..I have had an S2 and an S4, and they are thinner than hers seems to be, and neither of them has that much visible silver on the sides, and, as you said, it certainly appears to be too small to be an S4 or later. I am also reasonably sure it isn't an iPhone, as the Apple logo is prominently displayed on the backs of all of those I have ever seen, so it most likely is an Android of some type. In this pic, she does not appear to have any case around the phone to me, certainly nothing like an Otter Box, so it is very possible that the battery could be removed very easily, either intentionally, or as the result of being dropped or tossed. As always, JMO

Hiya again Steve, I have a cheap, cheesy, clunky bumper cover on my S4, I can't ever see myself justifying the cost for an Otterbox. My 10$ bumper cover has a light grey edge. That could explain the phones appearance if it is a Galaxy S#. However I don't think the corners are round enough to be a Galaxy and I don't see the telltale camera lens. It's hard to tell from that low res photo, I'll bump it up later and see if I can get a better idea.

Although I have a feeling that you have looked into this already, i'll humor you because I am have some spare time at the moment (procrastinating actual work):bored:.
I found a great deal of info pertaining to deleting CCTV via google search, and I found an interesting website from a CCTV company in the UK... humor me here.

"The quickest and most convenient way to erase a CCTV recording on a tape is by using a bulk tape eraser. Bulk erasing a CCTV tape can take just 5 seconds, returning the tape back to its original condition, completely clear of any previous recordings. This also ensure the CCTV tape provides the best recording quality (http://www.veritysystems.com/degaussers/erase-cctv.html)". I found this interesting for 2 reasons. 1) I had no idea it was that simple/fast to erase info from CCTV, and 2) the prior paragraph, which discusses admissibility of CCTV footage in court, "Under new rules and guidelines relating to the use of CCTV video recordings being submissable as evidence, state that it must be proven that a video tape has been completely erased before being reused if it is to be submitted as evidence".

Also, here in the states, it is common for CCTV to be set up with an accompanying USB drive. CCTV Camera Pros recommends using a USB thumb drive because you can backup a lot more video to a 4, 8, or 16 GB USB drive than you can a 700MB CD-R disc. The purpose of the backup system is to allow the DVR operator to export a specific segment of video so that the video can easily be transferred to the police in the event that something occurs that needs to be investigated. The file that is exported by the backup process can be replayed using the video player application that is built into the integrated remote station software that the DVR comes with. The backup system is designed to export minutes worth of video. The system is NOT meant to be an archiving service to export hours and days of video to an external drive (http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/DVR-Video-Backup-s/263.htm). I am reading this as to mean that there could be more than one form of the CCTV footage, possibly on UDB, and also that if someone is tech-savvy, it would not be hard nor would it take long to delete something from the CCTV. This is all the info I could dig up in the 15 minutes I have right now to look into this, but I know that the missing footage has been eating at some of us, so I wanted to see what I could find. All :cow:

Hiya MSCJ. Nearly all security DVRs sold in the last ten years are sold with integrated harddrives. Capacity starts usually at 500GB, using the typical 4 low res cameras this provides about 30 days of footage with cameras in the always on condition. Much more footage could be captured using cameras with motion sensor technology. The "typical" configuration in most cases is always on however. Analog or digital tape is a throwback to a different time. Hard drive storage has been very affordable for over a decade now and manufacturers took rapid advantage of that fact.

Also IIRC, local LE used the language "we took the hard drive".

I recently archived a day and a half of footage for a moonlighter client I do side work for to a DVD. There were some shenaningans going on in an office that they wanted video proof of for attorneys, without exposing all their security footage. This is standard behavior on any modernish DVR. Also, the very affordable DVR will allow me to drop the entire month to an external if that's what I want. Degaussing a hard drive won't just erase the data on it, it effectively destroys the circuitry on the drive controller, making the drive useless, and irrevocably destroying the data contained on it.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Every time I reset the clock, it would jump ahead again. After I replaced the battery and reset the BIOS clock, it was fine until it became unstable on pages with a lot of graphics, which research indicated was due to a computer that couldn't hold any more information/bad motherboard. I've gotten a new computer since then and most of the time it works fine. Whenever my computer begins acting up, I go to safe mode and run my security programs. Rarely is the problem a virus. I usually find only tracking cookies from news and advertising sites, and once I delete them my computer runs normally again. I hope there is nothing more than these issues impairing Zool's computer.

That sounds very close to probable. Error 0x80072F8F is a windows update error from the clock being out of sync. Some malware can hijack the clock, and does so to wreak havoc with AV programs and Windows Update, but even malware is a far cry from a direct hack. CMOS batteries when they fail though, usually default the date to January 1 1970 the epoch date, some use 01-01-1980 or even 1990, but it's always in the past. Never in the future. I've never seen one move forward before, and I've been working on/with computers professionally for 20 years. Not saying it isn't possible, just that I've never seen one jump forward.

ETA: Meant to mention, duplicating the condition which caused the Windows Update error to occur would probably effectively "restore" the missing history. As far as the OS and the other programs on the computer are concerned, data can only exist in the present and the past, computers are funny when you tell them you have data from the future, in that they won't believe you. Travelling back to the future would probably make the data accessible again.

Even further OT, a small not so amusing story.

I have a friend who owns a business, I look after her entire operation. She has a good handful of nice ladies who are very pleasant and for the most part not very computer literate. To be equally pleasant, I've set up all the computers so that when the nice ladies log in, on their birthday, it plays their favorite song, or Happy Birthday if they don't have a favorite song. Wanna guess how one of the nice ladies plays her favorite song? That's right she sets the system date to her birthday date and restarts the computer. It wreaks havoc with email and a host of other programs. Computers, especially those attached to the Internet, get very fussy if you play with the system date.

I've done all my drive-by postings for the night. Gnight WS :seeya::bed:

Found this when I went to look at the link:
Justice for Jessica Harassing her family and pretending to be detectives are not helping! These people say they know the family had nothing to do with it.. They just want justice.. Please enlighten me on how harassing Jessica's family is getting justice?? It's not! I sincerely apologize to ALL our loyal supporters that truly want Justice for Jessica.. I hope you can forgive my rude behavior.. I just felt I needed to say this.. There is still no news so the people giving false information is doing just that, giving false information. They're just people trying to stir up trouble.. Justice can only be found in the truth! Not a bunch of assumptions & lies.Thank you, Justice for Jessica

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1573137692923376&id=1551813758389103

Guess each of us need to decide for ourselves, in light of the attitudes of the family, what to do about further discussion of assumptions.

From what I've read elsewhere, there are some very mean people who are making assumptions that don't appear to be backed up by facts. I befriended a man who does just that and asked him once to show me the evidence to his claims. He never replied. But yet, he keeps posting heinous things about Jessica's mother and other people, and other people like his posts without asking any questions.

If this is the type of things they're refering to on Justice for Jessica, then I can understand their anger. I thought that what we've been doing here was more... humane and "professional".

I really wish that justice could be made for that poor girl but, at the same time, the lack of information and the lack of cooperation from the family (which could just be because they're following LE's orders) sometimes makes me want to stop sleuthing the case. But yet, I keep coming back here... Go figure.

*First time poster, long time reader*
With the abundance of pages on the Jessica Chambers, and only started exploring them a few days ago, this may have been brought up already. I apologize in advance, if that's the case.
I just wanted to "piggyback" the discussions about her phone, and ask: Is the battery in an obvious spot? In other words, if someone has always been an iPhone user (such as myself), would I easily find where the battery is and how to remove it? Is a special tool needed?
Why I ask: If the battery placement and/or removal method is unique, it'd COULD imply the suspect(s) having experience with that model. With so many different phones out there, to narrow down those who have phones like JC. I get the impression that a majority of the population is extremely loyal to a particular smart phone brand, even buying the same model over and over. I am fairly comfortable on most computer devices, PC and MAC, but find if difficult to navigate through an non iPhone phone, even anything external action like plugging into charge.

The batteries for iPhones are notoriously INaccessible. In fact, Apple only recently made SIM cards easier to switch out. The batteries are a major undertaking - almost guaranteeing an appointment at the Genius Bar. They do NOT pop out when dropped. I'll be back with a link.

ETA: there's a kit that runs $80US that you can DIY if you're tech savvy / so I stand corrected.

:blushing: The article mentions how the iPhone is the only smartphone that has an inaccessible battery (paraphrase):

How To Replace The iPhone 5's Battery - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2013/10/31/how-to-replace-the-iphone-5s-battery/

You are right. I completely forgot about that and I was even looking at my old iPhone when I made the post:)

Is it Antioch cemetery?

Yes, it is. I used google maps and Antioch cemetery is on Herron Road.

Chapel Hill Cemetery is located on the same property as the Chapel Hill United Methodist Church which is on Pope Water Valley Road.

You can buy used phones dirt cheap.

Yes, and I don't know how it is down there in the US but here in Canada most teenagers and young adults own iPhones or Samsung Galaxy. The cell phone companies let you buy the phone "for free" when you subscribe to an Internet package without having to give any money right away. They just "hide" the fees of the phone into the subscription package. It's a long term commitment but this is what most of the people here in Canada do when they get a new cell phone.

I am wondering if the killer(s) who set the car and poor Jessica on fire would smell of smoke (his/her/their clothing etc.) If so, did someone who wasn't involved in this heinous crime detect a smell on the killer? I know it's a long shot and considerable time has passed since this crime took place. In other words, would anyone have reported this to LE? Then again, the killer(s) IMO would have made a rapid getaway so whether a smoke smell had time to permeate clothing is the question. Just a thought and I may be way off the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish