VERDICT WATCH MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh! I am so nervous. I think the prosecution did a great job. I was very skeptical after day 1 but I think they did a good job of proving the case even with the Eric issue. I know they had a speech expert but I wonder why they decided not to bring in a psychology expert to testify about how the other first responders may have been influenced by the first person who said they heard Eric. I remember last year there was this viral meme where people were hearing the same sound clip to say "Yanny" or "Laurel" and once someone told you what you were supposed to hear you would hear that. Here is an explainer article if you didn't see this last year. The power of suggestion has been so widely studied I would have thought maybe it would be addressed. We Made a Tool So You Can Hear Both Yanny and Laurel

I did not follow the pre-trial motions so maybe the judge ruled that type of expert testimony as irrelevant. I don't know.

Remember, the clothes were left on the other side of the driveway. I think he threw her clothes out there in case she woke up.
BUF,

I believe I'm correct in stating those clothes, found in a small ditch ("ravine") at the crime scene not far behind the rear of the car, were at least partially burned. I believe several pieces of that burned clothing, including a fragment of a bra that later was found to have gasoline residue on it, were collected and sealed inside paint cans, driven to the ATF in Atlanta, and tested for the presence of volatile substances.

If you agree that is correct, that the clothes found there were burned, it would indicate to me that Jessica was probably set on fire unconscious and fully clothed (though Tellis might have thought she was already dead). After 3-5 minutes of her being on fire inside the car, she awakened, exited the still-burning vehicle through the driver side front door, stripped off all burning clothing at the spot where it was found, stumbled off into the woods past the ditch trying to get away from the intense fire, the woods from which she emerged a few minutes later as fire fighters began arriving on the scene.

I believe Tellis removed her cell phone and keys before the fire, dropped the phone at the scene, the back popped off allowing the battery to be exposed to the heat of the fire and eventually shut down. He took Jessica's car keys with him as he walked down Herron Rd back toward his home in Courtland, but when he realized he still had them after walking a few blocks, he threw them into a nearby ditch on the side of the road, where they stayed until they were found a few days later.

This is all conjecture on my part, based on the testimony and evidence presented at the trial.

JMO,
Clouseau

During the trial, watching her parents in the courtroom...I can't imagine being a parent having to listen to this about my child, now twice. Seeing their beautiful daughter as you say "bye, see you later", then the next and last time seeing her like that in the hospital. Then she is gone forever. How do you ever get those images out of your mind?

Hoping the jury will come back with a guilty verdict this time...and also hoping that this will help her parents (& sister) knowing there was justice for their daughter's horrific death. Unfortunately, there will never be closure.

I will never get the images of her burnt body out my mind. Seeing your child like that must be horrific.

Heres hoping the jury do the right thing.

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 2m2 minutes ago
#JessicaChambers - Follow Verdict @LawCrimeVerdict to receive an alert when the jury has reached a decision. Click on the bell icon for notifications. We only tweet verdict notices from this account

DoXkJDWVAAALHlC.jpg

BUF,

I believe I'm correct in stating those clothes, found in a small ditch ("ravine") at the crime scene not far behind the rear of the car, were at least partially burned. I believe several pieces of that burned clothing, including a fragment of a bra that later was found to have gasoline residue on it, were collected and sealed inside paint cans, driven to the ATF in Atlanta, and tested for the presence of volatile substances.

If you agree that is correct, that the clothes found there were burned, it would indicate to me that Jessica was probably set on fire unconscious and fully clothed (though Tellis might have thought she was already dead). After 3-5 minutes of her being on fire inside the car, she awakened, exited the still-burning vehicle through the driver side front door, stripped off all burning clothing at the spot where it was found, stumbled off into the woods past the ditch trying to get away from the intense fire, the woods from which she emerged a few minutes later as fire fighters began arriving on the scene.

I believe Tellis removed her cell phone and keys before the fire, dropped the phone at the scene, the back popped off allowing the battery to be exposed to the heat of the fire and eventually shut down. He took Jessica's car keys with him as he walked down Herron Rd back toward his home in Courtland, but when he realized he still had them after walking a few blocks, he threw them into a nearby ditch on the side of the road, where they stayed until they were found a few days later.

This is all conjecture on my part, based on the testimony and evidence presented at the trial.

JMO,
Clouseau
Your memory (and notes) is probably better than mine rbarber

I don’t know a lot about trial procedure. Why would the judge appoint a foreman?
Hi Not a Belle. I don't know a whole lot about trial procedure either but I'm thinking, because of the previous trial where perhaps the Jurors picked a foreman themselves and we all know how that ended lol, the judge decided this time, HE would pick a foreman himself. Not sure.

Hi Not a Belle. I don't know a whole lot about trial procedure either but I'm thinking, because of the previous trial where perhaps the Jurors picked a foreman themselves and we all know how that ended lol, the judge decided this time, HE would pick a foreman himself. Not sure.

I hope it works! I was devastated when the first verdict was returned. I hope justice is done with this one.

I think Tellis thought Jessica was already dead when he set her and the car on fire. Here's why:

The prosecution estimated it would take about 4 minutes to travel by car from the shed (where the gas can was stored) to the scene of the fire. To travel to that shed -from- the crime scene would have taken longer, partially on foot and partially by car, assuming he was given a ride part of the way by Ms. Flowers. That, plus he would have had to take additional time after being dropped off to walk over to his sister's house and borrow her SUV, the vehicle with which he presumably returned to the crime scene, after first stopping to pick up the gasoline.

Now add all those minutes up, from the time he left the crime scene the first time, with Jessica unconscious (but already "dead" in his mind) but with her car hidden away from the road, until the time he returned and set her and it on fire. He was apparently in no big hurry, unconcerned that she might wake up and wander off while he was gone to get the gasoline.

All just my opinion.

Regards,
Clouseau

This defense attorney is providing a convincing theory of what QT was thinking in terms of establishing his alibi!
LOL If I recall correctly, he "stuffed" up in the last trials closing statements too. Something to do with a name. Didn't he call Jessica someone else? Ughh, I can't remember but sure it was him. Am thinking he should've stayed seated and let Ms. Palmer handle the rebuttal too. LOL

LOL If I recall correctly, he "stuffed" up in the last trials closing statements too. Something to do with a name. Didn't he call Jessica someone else? Ughh, I can't remember but sure it was him. Am thinking he should've stayed seated and let Ms. Palmer handle the rebuttal too. LOL
UndiscoveredTruth,

Good memory, my fellow Armchair Detective (as per Maj. Thompson). Peterson did indeed slip up during his half of the defense's closing arguments during the first trial. He referred to Jessica Chambers in a photo as "Erica" -- Freudian slip perhaps?

Best,
Inspector Jacques Clouseau of the Surete

UndiscoveredTruth,

Good memory, my fellow Armchair Detective (as per Maj. Thompson). Peterson did indeed slip up during his half of the defense's closing arguments during the first trial. He referred to Jessica Chambers in a photo as "Erica" -- Freudian slip perhaps?

Best,
Inspector Jacques Clouseau of the Surete
That's it!!!!! Thank you. It was so not funny at the time either, I think most of us, if not all of us, were horrified. How could he forget her name, how!! Terrible, just terrible! I'm thinking it was a Freudian slip too, Clouseau! Still, I will never forget it!

Ron Maxey‏ @rmaxey1 7m7 minutes ago
Media just went dashing into the courtroom. Thought there was a verdict already. The jury just wanted coffee. #JessicaChambers @memphisnews @clarionledger

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 7m7 minutes ago
JessicaChambers - The jury sent a note, we all ran in, the jury wants coffee

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 4m4 minutes ago

Key Points in the Jessica Chambers Closing Statements

Oh the anxiousness would make me pee my pants. LOL

Do we know how late the jury is wanting to stay tonight?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyrose