MSNBC to Imus: You're FIRED!

i think you missed the meaning of how i was using the word. not so much literally, but 'evolved', as in.. acting like an evolved human being.

i think you missed the meaning of how i was using the word. not so much literally, but 'evolved', as in.. acting like an evolved human being.

I guess that's shorter than saying "contributing member of society."

exactly, paladin.
or i should start putting 'mentally' in front of evolved. but yeah, being a contributing member of society instead of a trouble-making parasite has a lot to do with it too...

Reb -

So because a group of people talk a certain way, they are parasites, and not evolved.

Your explanation seems to state that there are Blacks who have assimilated - "evolved" into your definition of a normal human being, therefore they are now worthy of respect and approval. I am just curious - do you have friends that are of other races and nationalities? From what I gather from your posts, I really think that you would thumb your nose at my friendship if we were to meet in person or if I told you my life history you would be glad to say that I have evolved.

There is no clear definition of a normal human being. To the tribes in the South American jungle who practice cannibalism - we are not normal. To the Asians and Mexicans who have multigenerational families under the same roof instead of carting family members off into "homes"- we are not normal. There are so many cultures and races that have speech, ways of life, rituals, etc. that deviate from our own individual definition of norm. Are they not evolved or is it only unless they conform to certain ways?

I have read many of your posts and always with an open mind. I have actually gleaned some information that I had not known before. Yet your posts repeatedly target groups of people - Blacks, Mexicans, pitbull owners, etc as the cause of the problems in our country. I could name many more.

well i don't have a whole lot of respect for those who thumb their nose at decades of their own ancestors fighting for civil rights and human dignity, only so they could go around saying ' this' and that' and 'ho dis' and 'ho dat'.. no i don't consider that evolved. most members of society who are intelligent and contribute something worthwhile don't talk like that. those who do are usually either drug addicts/dealers/thugs/hoodlums/criminals... or rap 'star' millionaires. it just doesn't come across as being very intelligent to talk like that. and they in turn are teaching generations of young black kids (and strangely, trashy wanna-be gangsta white kids too)- that talking this way is acceptable. but i don't consider it a very 'evolved' or intelligent way of talking/acting.. and incredibly hypocritical on their part.

and yes i have been friends with all kinds of people, but they certainly don't act/talk like that. sorry, but i call 'em as i see 'em. blacks (like anyone else) are not, and should not be, above criticism in america.

bottom line.. if blacks want to fight for the 'artistic freedom' to be able to call themselves 'n's' and 'ho's' and whatnot.. then don't be surprised when other people say, "well, OK then.." and refer to them in the same way too. i think they are more attached to 'negative' stereotypes (and stereotypical words) than they think.. since many don't seem to want to let go of them.

i would think that most educated (and yes, 'more evolved'- a word that could apply to any type of human) blacks have bigger and more intelligent battles to fight... and i know many of them would agree with me!

of course i understand that various cultures and other countries have different ways, and we are strange and weird to them.. and they may be to us.. etc... but i don't really see what that has to do with this issue.
and yes, the US has many, many problems.. but the 3 you mentioned are definitely 3 of the biggest ones right now. and actually, 2 of those 3 overlap quite a bit.

(correction- re: 3 of the biggest problems facing america right now... not just mexicans- make that ILLEGAL mexicans.. the black problem.. the pit bull problem.. and don't forget-- the muslim problem.. so that makes 4!!)

Sharpton admits saying the big "N" word, but he's "no Imus":

Reverend Al Sharpton admits that he has dropped some offensive slurs in the past, but claims that a comparison with Don Imus is "completely unfair."

In an exclusive interview with TMZ, The Rev admitted that calling his good friend and former New York Mayor David Dinkins a "n----r *advertiser censored*" several years ago was wrong ... but added, "If I say something wrong on the air, I should lose my radio show." (more at link)
http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/04/sharpton-ive-said-the-n-word-but-im-no-imus/

are you kidding?? the rappers and their supporters are always demanding 'complete' freedom fo speech.. but then they abuse it and often use it for the most low-brow purposes.. you know, anything goes,,, hey, it's our 'voice'.. it's 'ART'... etc. but when imus uses HIS freedom of speech to say something that is a reflection of what THEY say... WHOOOAAAA... all of a sudden-- that doesn't count!! they wanna censor him... he gets beaten down and bullied into apologizing, and whoever was in charge of him got bullied and pressured into firing him. what were they going to do if he didn't get fired, start rioting in the streets?? it seems that this option is always a moment away, and it seems whites are always acting under the threat of that.
But Imus still has complete freedom of speech. He can nappy headed 'ho every person on the planet if he likes. Just like the rappers can.

Now, if he wants to be paid for that .... or have what he says broadcast on someone else's station - that you have no right to at all. It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech. Just like the rappers, he's got to find someone who wants to broadcast it, broadcast it on his own, or put it up on some public medium, or sell it.

And threats of riots were not why Imus was pulled - CBS pulled him because they were afraid they'd lose money from boycotts - not riots, just ordinary people of all colors saying they would choose to spend their money elsewhere. Which is and must be always your right. Actually, I didn't hear any calls for censorship - no one asked the gov't to step in, no new laws in congress, nothing. CBS doesn't broadcast the vulgar rappers either - seems to me they're consistient.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I want to put my vote in for Imus to get his FAIR due from CBS. Oh, I don't agree with what he said, it was appalling, IMHO, but a contract is a contract. CBS had him BECAUSE of his controversial style and sometimes..........obnoxious statements.

Breach of contract, for sure!

JMHO and my :twocents:
fran

What she said. :clap:

But Imus still has complete freedom of speech. He can nappy headed 'ho every person on the planet if he likes. Just like the rappers can.

Now, if he wants to be paid for that .... or have what he says broadcast on someone else's station - that you have no right to at all. It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech. Just like the rappers, he's got to find someone who wants to broadcast it, broadcast it on his own, or put it up on some public medium, or sell it.

And threats of riots were not why Imus was pulled - CBS pulled him because they were afraid they'd lose money from boycotts - not riots, just ordinary people of all colors saying they would choose to spend their money elsewhere. Which is and must be always your right. Actually, I didn't hear any calls for censorship - no one asked the gov't to step in, no new laws in congress, nothing. CBS doesn't broadcast the vulgar rappers either - seems to me they're consistient.

Good post. I agree. He can say whatever he wants, but not on airwaves owned by someone else. That's for them to decide.

I think Imus should get his money. I don't really like the man and I was appalled at what he said, but CBS knew he was a "shock jock," when they hired him. I thought the suspension was enough. He apologized numerous times and he seemed like he really regretted what he said. Unlike the "Good" Rev Sharpton who never seems to apologize even when he is dead wrong and has ruined someone's life. Imus will probably get a satellite radio show now, making even more money!!

The "Good" Rev makes me so angry. He is all about double-standards isn't he? He'd organizing a riot if Dinkins would have said that about him! I am almost positive Dr. Martin Luther King would be appalled at Sharpton and Jackson's behavior.

I think Imus should get his money. I don't really like the man and I was appalled at what he said, but CBS knew he was a "shock jock," when they hired him. I thought the suspension was enough. He apologized numerous times and he seemed like he really regretted what he said. Unlike the "Good" Rev Sharpton who never seems to apologize even when he is dead wrong and has ruined someone's life. Imus will probably get a satellite radio show now, making even more money!!

The "Good" Rev makes me so angry. He is all about double-standards isn't he? He'd organizing a riot if Dinkins would have said that about him! I am almost positive Dr. Martin Luther King would be appalled at Sharpton and Jackson's behavior.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, the Good Rev is ALL about double standards.

Hey White Rain,
I totally agree with you! Some individuals think it should be "judged" only when it is something that "offends them personnally". People can't have it both ways, that is alot what is wrong with this country, you don't hear them complaining about Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or the likes that have really no purpose for their stands. Want to talk about someone with morals, Jesse needs stand right on up there..

That is my opinion only, have to watch some of these sites, certain "individuals" get headaches if you "aren't them! Lord help their children.

Jeana and Reb, I agree with you both. I too hope he gets the money.

Add me to the list too. The networks knew who he was and hired him for it. No one pushed the "dump" button and I'm sure there was at least a 10-second delay - if they wanted to bleep his comments they could have done so. The networks didn't do anything for over a week, finally bowing to various pressures. Cowards. It isn't about what he said, disgusting as it was. He has been saying things like that and worse, for years. They cashed in on it, but they failed to back him up.

Eve

I haven't read this whole thread, but I want to put my vote in for Imus to get his FAIR due from CBS. Oh, I don't agree with what he said, it was appalling, IMHO, but a contract is a contract. CBS had him BECAUSE of his controversial style and sometimes..........obnoxious statements.

Breach of contract, for sure!

JMHO and my :twocents:
fran

Well put, fran. I don't care whether Imus gets another $30 million or not, but he has every right to sue to get his contract enforced. A court can decide whether the contract was breached or not.

Reb -

So because a group of people talk a certain way, they are parasites, and not evolved.

Your explanation seems to state that there are Blacks who have assimilated - "evolved" into your definition of a normal human being, therefore they are now worthy of respect and approval. I am just curious - do you have friends that are of other races and nationalities? From what I gather from your posts, I really think that you would thumb your nose at my friendship if we were to meet in person or if I told you my life history you would be glad to say that I have evolved.

There is no clear definition of a normal human being. To the tribes in the South American jungle who practice cannibalism - we are not normal. To the Asians and Mexicans who have multigenerational families under the same roof instead of carting family members off into "homes"- we are not normal. There are so many cultures and races that have speech, ways of life, rituals, etc. that deviate from our own individual definition of norm. Are they not evolved or is it only unless they conform to certain ways?

I have read many of your posts and always with an open mind. I have actually gleaned some information that I had not known before. Yet your posts repeatedly target groups of people - Blacks, Mexicans, pitbull owners, etc as the cause of the problems in our country. I could name many more.

Nicely said, 2luv. I try to keep an open mind with reb's posts, too. There are subjects where she and I agree. But when she gets to "the black problem" and "the Mexican problem" (or maybe it's just "illegal Mexicans"), I'm afraid there's no missing reb's meaning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back