GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were an animal attack there would be some kind of evidence. No mountain lions I know are able to cover up or hide evidence nor brandish a weapon, nor would a human willingly follow a large animal into the woods for a more convenient place of attack. But that's just the mountain lions I'm aware of...perhaps some of you know more talented wildlife? ;)

To me, the dangers of running solo may not be much in the mind of a regular jogger in a small town in Montana, as they might be in towns or suburbs or major cities, for example...if someone pulled over she might well slow down and take a look over her shoulder, i.e. to see if it is someone she knew. Or at least not immediately think the worst. JMO

I think (jmoo) that her shoe came off in a struggle as she was being pulled into a vehicle...

:twocents:

The FBI's "abduction" or "kidnap" theory seems to contradict local authorities who said that they were not treating this an abduction :waitasec:

The couple have five children between them from previous marriages. Gary Arnold has three and she has two.
Sherry Arnold, who grew up in Sydney, is a cancer survivor and Scrabble lover, who just last week traded the board game to take up "Words with Friends" online. Her kids, J and H, say she's the math teacher all the kids hope they get.
http://gma.yahoo.com/missing-montana-teacher-sherry-arnold-fbi-joins-search-083245374--abc-news.html

this is the first I have heard that there are ex spouses

If it were an animal attack there would be some kind of evidence. No mountain lions I know are able to cover up or hide evidence nor brandish a weapon, nor would a human willingly follow a large animal into the woods for a more convenient place of attack. But that's just the mountain lions I'm aware of...perhaps some of you know more talented wildlife? ;)

I agree. I think there would be a trail of blood if she had been attacked and taken away by a mountain lion. :waitasec:

now knowing sherry's other last names I am finding that she has ties to Alexander, ND and Minot, ND

I don't know the people, but I know the town. I, too, think while a mountain lion attack could be possible, there would be some pretty specific evidence found by now. Knowing small towns, if there was something hinky going on with any townspeople involved (students, marital liasons, etc.), the authorities would know about it by now. I've watched and listened to GA's interviews and sense absolutely no suspicious behavior. A few have commented on a slight inappropriate laugh at one point during the JVM interview, but there was another point during a visual interview where the same slight laugh occurred, and it was obvious to me that it was a laugh borne of hysteria and bordering on tears. A Montana man of his generation, I think, is trying to hold himself and his family together in the worst of circumstance and not cry on national TV.

In this case, I really have to put my vote behind the hit-and-run theories, or the stranger (or I guess possibly someone known - she was a recognizable figure in this small community) abduction theory. Either is scary, and neither promises positive resolution for Sherry and her family at this point. I read in one of the interviews that the authorities were considering starting door-to-door canvases. I hope they carry through with this.

My guess (and assumption) is that the FBI or any LE agency needs to run a concurrent 2 prong investigation.

Prong 1: without an eyewitness to see the person leave her home, determine if the missing person did, in fact, leave her home of her own volition, alive and well and try to determine the exact time if she did. Look for signs of something that may have happened to the person in the home.

Prong 2: With possible sightings of a witness allegedly matching the missing person and a found shoe positively ID'd as belonging to the missing person, determine who or what was in the area and if there is a scent trail leading up to that shoe. In other words, was the shoe discarded at that place and the missing person never actually made it that far? Or did she run up to that spot? How did the shoe land right there? Any other visual or forensic clues near where the shoe was found? Drag marks, anything?

Other thoughts regarding a student as a perp: a teen getting up at o'darkthirty on a Saturday morning when they didn't have to? Doesn't sound like any teen I've heard of.

My guess (and assumption) is that the FBI or any LE agency needs to run a concurrent 2 prong investigation.

Prong 1: without an eyewitness to see the person leave her home, determine if the missing person did, in fact, leave her home of her own volition, alive and well and try to determine the exact time if she did. Look for signs of something that may have happened to the person in the home.

Prong 2: With possible sightings of a witness allegedly matching the missing person and a found shoe positively ID'd as belonging to the missing person, determine who or what was in the area and if there is a scent trail leading up to that shoe. In other words, was the shoe discarded at that place and the missing person never actually made it that far? Or did she run up to that spot? How did the shoe land right there? Any other visual or forensic clues near where the shoe was found? Drag marks, anything?

Other thoughts regarding a student as a perp: a teen getting up at o'darkthirty on a Saturday morning when they didn't have to? Doesn't sound like any teen I've heard of.

I taught high school and know that teens cherish their weekends for some much-needed shut-eye :eek:fftobed: Most are burning the candle at both ends from Monday through Friday and need to play catch-up when they have the opportunity - usually on weekends. A student perp in this case would have to know that Mrs. Arnold's husband would be out that morning with her alone with two (likely sleeping teenagers) or that she was out of the house on her run - both of which I strongly doubt. jmo

Interesting article. So she just started playing online games last week? Is "Words with Friends" a game one plays only with one's friends or could you play this game online with a stranger? I've heard of the game, but I don't know much about it.

I also thought some of the comments under that article were interesting. One commenter, who claims to have family in the region, mentions the recent oil worker influx in the area and refers to "man camps" that have cropped up in the area.

I believe it was a Brooks running shoe. I haven't seen a picture of the shoe either, just a copy of the bottom which I think was used to help searchers on the weekend look for footprints. As far as stopping to help someone in distress, that's a possibility. As most people in small towns, and probably all areas, if someone stopped her for directions I think she would have assisted. She was not outside her comfort zone. However it would be unusual for her to be passed by much traffic at this time of day in this town. One thing to note is that the witness saw her running near the post office at 6:40-6:45. The post office is not far from where the shoe was found. If something happened in the area of the shoe it was within minutes of her being seen by the witness.

Another strange occurrence in Sidney this morning. Probably not related but I feel worth mentioning at this point. The Triangle Night Club was closed and under remodel by new owners. It was slated to open tomorrow. It burned to the ground this morning. This building is on the opposite side of town from where Sherry's shoe was found. It is an old building and probably had old wiring, electrical, etc. I am not sure where they were with the remodeling process but again, it had to be close to done since they were open to the public tomorrow. The town is really taxed right now.

I have also known Gary for many years and Sherry since grade school. I understand the speculation about the husband, I'm usually one of the first ones to consider them. But in this case I honestly do not think he was involved. Both Sherry and Gary are very involved in the school system. Gary a former teacher and now administrator for probably close to 30 years or more. You usually didn't see one without the other around town. Often walking or running together.

I still wonder if this fire is somehow related.

At least this husband is talking and is not hiding out. That gives him an automatic 50 points for good behavior at this point. I am not saying that he is not responsible for this - just look at the Cotta case - however, I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He did sound a bit hinky, but I would too if I was on a national TV show. I would be scared out of my wits.

Plus, it's very likely he's been coached by LE (maybe even the FBI) on what he should and shouldn't say publicly. And that means that when he's being interviewed, he's juggling all this information inside his head. That's enough to make anyone sound odd.

There were a lot of people who thought Elizabeth Smart's father was the perp based on their own analysis of what he said and how he acted during interviews. As I think everyone knows, no, he was not the perpetrator. He sounded odd during interviews because he was desperately trying to follow advice and give his daughter the best chance she had to come home alive.

Assuming he's innocent, he may very well be struggling with a terrible sense of guilt anyway. He's probably asking himself why he didn't wait to make sure his wife slept in, why didn't he do this, that or a dozen other things that might have kept her safe.

Interesting article. So she just started playing online games last week? Is "Words with Friends" a game one plays only with one's friends or could you play this game online with a stranger? I've heard of the game, but I don't know much about it.

I also thought some of the comments under that article were interesting. One commenter, who claims to have family in the region, mentions the recent oil worker influx in the area and refers to "man camps" that have cropped up in the area.

i believe words with friends is a game accessed through facebook and you play with your online friends be it family real friends or just online cyber friends

i believe words with friends is a game accessed through facebook and you play with your online friends be it family real friends or just online cyber friends

I thought that might be it, thanks. Just stood out to me as something that might be a new routine for Sherry or a place where theoretically she could have met someone new (I'm not implying romantically, just someone she didn't know in real life.) Sounds pretty harmless, though.

Does anyone know if the shoe that was found was tied or untied when it was found?

Plus, it's very likely he's been coached by LE (maybe even the FBI) on what he should and shouldn't say publicly. And that means that when he's being interviewed, he's juggling all this information inside his head. That's enough to make anyone sound odd.

There were a lot of people who thought Elizabeth Smart's father was the perp based on their own analysis of what he said and how he acted during interviews. As I think everyone knows, no, he was not the perpetrator. He sounded odd during interviews because he was desperately trying to follow advice and give his daughter the best chance she had to come home alive.

Assuming he's innocent, he may very well be struggling with a terrible sense of guilt anyway. He's probably asking himself why he didn't wait to make sure his wife slept in, why didn't he do this, that or a dozen other things that might have kept her safe.

Guilt shouldn't be a factor, IMO. Didn't she tell him she was NOT going running that morning? So why should he have done anything other than what he did? Why should he have waited to make sure she didn't? That would be kind of creepy to me, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173