Muslim hairdresser accuses salon owner of religious discrimination

WHAT?!?!?!
i believe that someone who practices their religion should practice it full time...
and what part of this dresscode of having a head covering was unsafe? it wasn't.
in the end, it was the fact that the headcovering just wasn't the owners preference. well, i'm sorry, but my boss shouldn't have any say over what my religion is, etc.
that's like telling a hindu, who is a taste tester "sorry, but you have to eat the cow here". no one would tell them to do that.

I don't see it the same way. the applicant wasn't suitable for the job because Sarah Desrosiers, salon owner, deemed it necessary for anyone who worked for her to show off a funky cut while working at the salon. as i said in my first post on this thread some time ago, i, as a client, bought and paid for a cut and colour the stylist was wearing some time ago. good business for the hairdresser? yep. and the other stylists regularly change their hair so much so last time i was there i was considering a great purple patch in my hair when i saw Claudia with hers.

i changed my mind cos i recalled i'd 'done' purple back in 1979 and Claudia is blonde, so what she'd had done wouldn't have the same result. i'll continue to follow Mariam's lead as she's brunette like i. this paragraph is an example of what i believe the salon owner is hoping for. stylists to give inspiration (and good cuts and colour) to clients.

there is little doubt in my mind Bushra Noah was looking for a 'mark' and in Sarah Desrosiers she found one. i'm sorry Sarah Desrosiers had to give her £4,000, but glad she didn't get more.

Sarah Desrosiers had NOT hired Bushra Noah for the job. she wasn't Bushra Noah's boss.

you can't apply for a job as taste tester for everything and then call foul when chewing on a piece of cow is a part of the job. :)

I have known 2 people that took classes to be a stylist. They both had to agree to have their own hair cut or colored 3 times for the classes. If this woman has this much religious beliefs I don't think she would have agreed to that. And if she did then should would know she would need to show her own hair for this job.
This is almost ridiculous to debate.

I have known 2 people that took classes to be a stylist. They both had to agree to have their own hair cut or colored 3 times for the classes. If this woman has this much religious beliefs I don't think she would have agreed to that. And if she did then should would know she would need to show her own hair for this job.
This is almost ridiculous to debate.

It is, but i am glad to see pedinurse's opposing argument because i helps me sort out my own thoughts as to just why i'm absolutely on the defendant's side in this case.

and i always want to see others' opposing arguments as that way i get to learn and it keeps my brain alive, IYKWIM? :)

In Britain, a story like this appears pretty much every day in one media outlet or another. It is a rather obvious pot-stirring by people who want to make Muslims out to be a problem. The reality is very different from what the stories try to get you to believe. Muslims do not attempt to "make the world bow down to them."

BTW, in the US if having and showing an "edgy" haircut wasn't in the job description, the prohibition on the headscarf would be illegal.

There have been many cases in the US in which black men were told they had to be clean-shaven to work a particular job and they protested because some black men get a bad skin condition when they shave. Many of them won when the shaving requirement was shown not to be related to the job.

Fortunately not so much in the real press. Posters here seem content to post articles form the Daily Mail, its sister the Daily Express and other tabloids as if they are news. The are exactly as you portray them luthersmama pot stirring, sensationalist crap which explains why they have to pay out for libel suits so frequently.

Fortunately not so much in the real press. Posters here seem content to post articles form the Daily Mail, its sister the Daily Express and other tabloids as if they are news. The are exactly as you portray them luthersmama pot stirring, sensationalist crap which explains why they have to pay out for libel suits so frequently.

Yes, the Daily Mail is a tabloid and is a pot stirrer. but the story is true.

oh, it's not part of the same company as the Daily Express which is owned by Richard Desmond and is way and above more scurrelous than the Daily Mail, IMO. having worked for Richard Desmond and the Daily Mail group, i know. :)

they both try to keep the public scared cos fear sells.

and makes for conversation. :dance:

ETA: i'll endeavor to grab news stories from other sources in future. :)

WHAT?!?!?!
What?

i believe that someone who practices their religion should practice it full time...
I didn't say that they shouldn't. I said that people should leave anything that will inhibit their job performance or break company rules at the door.

and what part of this dresscode of having a head covering was unsafe? it wasn't.
I never said it was unsafe. You sited jewelry as an example and I sited jobs were it would be prohibited.

in the end, it was the fact that the headcovering just wasn't the owners preference.
Exactly. And this whiney, little crybaby had no business bringing a lawsuit because she didn't get the job.

What would happen if she walked into your business? Would you even talk to her for fear of a lawsuit?

well, i'm sorry, but my boss shouldn't have any say over what my religion is, etc.
Nobody said a boss could dictate your religion. However a boss does have say over what the rules are in their company.

The salon owner said that all employees had to show a "funky 'do". This is based on the owner's belief that it will be good for business and inspirational for the customers.

If your religion precludes this then you have no business working there.
End of discussion.

that's like telling a hindu, who is a taste tester "sorry, but you have to eat the cow here". no one would tell them to do that.

Say Mcdonald's is hiring a quality control taste tester for their line of Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and assorted burgers, all of which are purported to be beef.

If the position is advertised as such, do you think McDonalds is obligated to hire a Hindi (or even a Vegan)?

Posters here seem content to post articles form the Daily Mail, its sister the Daily Express and other tabloids as if they are news.

I get 99% of my news online. Can't watch news on TV with the kids around. Anyway, being from the US, I read CNN and three local news sites. For foreign news, I usually read the BBC news and the Telegraph.

The Sun is an interesting paper, but you kind of get distracted from the news, if you know what I mean.

If you compare the stories all around you can kind of get an idea of what the truth might be.

It is, but i am glad to see pedinurse's opposing argument because i helps me sort out my own thoughts as to just why i'm absolutely on the defendant's side in this case.

and i always want to see others' opposing arguments as that way i get to learn and it keeps my brain alive, IYKWIM? :)

My blood would not get flowing thru my veins every day if everyone was agreeing with me. It would be a very boring world. :)

edited to add: I hope my comment wasn't so brutal anyone thinks I don't value pedinurse's opinion. I enjoy her posts.

My blood would not get flowing thru my veins every day if everyone was agreeing with me. It would be a very boring world. :)

edited to add: I hope my comment wasn't so brutal anyone thinks I don't value pedinurse's opinion. I enjoy her posts.

Well now i'm worried you thought i was down on your brutality! :eek:

no i'm not. — we all know the written word is leaps and bounds from tone of voice. :D

yes, what a dull world it would be if we all thought the same. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I didn't realize that this woman wasn't even an employee yet.

I'm going to move to England, I bet I could rake in a ton of money having my feelings hurt here and there around town. Who needs a job?

i'm more offended about you saying i ranted on the pregnant cop thread... i was soooo right about that one!! still haven't changed my mind. :crazy:

I didn't realize that this woman wasn't even an employee yet.

I'm going to move to England, I bet I could rake in a ton of money having my feelings hurt here and there around town. Who needs a job?

Can I come too? I could use 8 grand right about now.

Pssst....would I have to pay income tax on that?

i'm more offended about you saying i ranted on the pregnant cop thread... i was soooo right about that one!! still haven't changed my mind. :crazy:

I've went back and edited that. My apologies. I still disagree,lol, but my comment was out of line.

Think I'll try to be a model at Victorias Secret, if they don't hire me I'll sue.

Bushra is a hypocrite. Her chosen religion has edicts against women showing their hair and for being modest, and yet she wants to help other women look wild and flamboyant.

Where is her religious edict against that?

Yet she felt that the salon owner was under a moral imperative to hire her, even though she wouldn't fit in with the tone of the shop. Sarah gets no choice in what HER beliefs can be.................as in, what is best for HER business.

Bushra is a hypocrite. Her chosen religion has edicts against women showing their hair and for being modest, and yet she wants to help other women look wild and flamboyant.

Where is her religious edict against that?

Yet she felt that the salon owner was under a moral imperative to hire her, even though she wouldn't fit in with the tone of the shop. Sarah gets no choice in what HER beliefs can be.................as in, what is best for HER business.

Excellent point, wenchie! I had a suspicion that Bushra provocatively looked for someone not to hire her, simply to sue (when I heard how insistent she was to come in for an interview). This helps confirm my suspicion. Working in this type of shop does not conform to the tenets of her religion, so why was she interviewing, if she's so committed to her faith? I wonder if she planned this for financial gain or if some one put her up to it.

Excellent point, wenchie! I had a suspicion that Bushra provocatively looked for someone not to hire her, simply to sue (when I heard how insistent she was to come in for an interview). This helps confirm my suspicion. Working in this type of shop does not conform to the tenets of her religion, so why was she interviewing, if she's so committed to her faith? I wonder if she planned this for financial gain or if some one put her up to it.

I think she'd already been turned down for so many jobs, she was looking for any kind of financial gain and picked this shop to pay up. (IMO)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back