Mexico MX - Kerry O’Brien, Frank O’Brien, William Gross, adults, Mexico, 4 Apr 2023

TwinkieDefense

Reaction score
April 15, 2023 article - indicates en route to San Diego, per Coast Guard, and were on a 44’ sailing vessel. There have been no reported sighting, and the Mexican Navy is assisting in the search.

[…]

Officials say the sailors planned to stop in Cabo San Lucas on April 6 for provisions and to report in before continuing on to San Diego, but there was no record of them arriving in Cabo San Lucas or a report of their location.

[…]

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the sailors or the Ocean Bound sailing vessel is encouraged to contact the U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Coordination Center at 510-437-3701.

I’m sorry, but I have accidentally posted this thread twice. Have reported my error to have one removed

I’m sorry, but I have accidentally posted this thread twice. Have reported my error to have one removed.
*Thank you so much for launching this thread. I so appreciate those creating threads. I saw this story this morning and came looking for one, so much appreciated.

The men — identified as Kerry O’Brien, Frank O’Brien and William Gross — were on the 44-foot sailboat Ocean Bound when they were last heard from on April 4, the U.S. Coast Guard said in a statement issued Friday.

The trio had planned to stop in Cabo San Lucas at the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California peninsula April 6 to take on supplies and report before continuing their voyage to San Diego, the statement said.

But “there was no record of their arrival in Cabo San Lucas, nor a report of their location,” the Coast Guard said.

Coordinators of the search have contacted marinas in Baja California, but there were no reports of sightings of the vessel, the statement said.

1681627979275.png
“When they began their voyage we know that the conditions were not optimal for that type of trip, though, certainly there were sailing vessels out there during that time,” said Commander Gregory Higgins, USCG

“Winds, potentially over 30 knots and seas 15-20 maybe more feet at the time of their voyage. It’s a long trip even in good condition from Mazatlan to Cabo…that’s two days and certainly on to San Diego was their eventual destination,” he said.

In a joint statement given to CNN, their families say the three are all experienced sailors. Kerry and Frank both hold captain licenses with the Coast Guard. Gross’s family provided a photo of Bill and said he has over 50 years of sailing experience.

“They are conducting numerous searches with aircraft as well as surface vessels boats throughout the coast of the Baja peninsula as well as the entrance to the Sea of Cortez between Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas,” said Higgins.

This is so frightening, thinking of all the things that could go wrong on a boat in the middle of such vast, open water. It’s good to see they all had years of sailing experience. Hoping they are okay but it looks dismal at this point. Hope I’m wrong.

Is this them? The article is behind a paywall so no details are visible.

It's the same picture of the boat used in articles about the missing sailors, but I'm skeptical because no other news outlet is reporting that they were found.

It's the same picture of the boat used in articles about the missing sailors, but I'm skeptical because no other news outlet is reporting that they were found.
I see that a LOT in aviation accident reporting (I'm a former air crash investigator). The media will report an actual crash or report of a suspected crash and then post a unrelated media photo or stock photo of an aircraft completely unrelated to what they were reporting on. I've seen nothing in U.S. news about these missing sailors being found either as of this morning.

April 20, 2023 article

[…]

The Coast Guard noted that the search was suspended “pending further developments.”

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcleavenger
Back