Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much crap, IMO, over some dumb photos I thought I'd share w/you. I'll keep my stuff to myself next time.
Yeah real dumb. Most of us thought not.

Talk to rmf.

You posted, you pulled, to put your mark. :woohoo:

What is the purpose??

Movin on. The photos, I personally, never were able to view, because some thought they need credit for there efforts, are now gone, and IMO, are not going to move this case forward.

So....next.

Wow!

I am really sorry this all happened. My sincerest apologies to all!

I was merely suggesting that shadetree be given credit for her hard work and the fact that she traveled to the area and took the photos. They are her photos after all, so I didn't think there was anything wrong with her taking credit for them.

I didn't realize that was frowned upon on this forum... so just to clarify, are all photos fair game? No copyright issues if they are copied by anyone/everyone? Watermarking is not allowed? Just want to make sure I'm clear. Thanks.

I was merely suggesting that shadetree be given credit for her hard work and the fact that she traveled to the area and took the photos. They are her photos after all, so I didn't think there was anything wrong with her taking credit for them.

It's a sore spot with me, was just stating MO on the matter.

You included a ;) in your 'merely suggesting'...I made the point that we all share photos and the credit issue was not needed...JMO, FWIW....can we move on now??

Back to the DNA...

I remember seeing an episode of Law and order where Olivia put her DNA through a kinship analysis to see if it matched any other dna in the databank.

Is this a real process, and can it be done with these victims? Perhaps they have cousins/aunts/uncles...etc...that have a criminal record, or their dna is in the databank for another reason. Might be a long shot, but you never know.

Great pics shadetree.

Be sure and watermark them so everyone knows they're yours ;)

Where are the pics? :waitasec:

I don't see shadetree's post... with pics.

Photo credits are not necessary here. I appreciated seeing the pics - being so very far away and utterly frustrated by this case. But I suppose credit for the photos does nothing to move us any closer to a resolution. :mad: Jeez. What's next???

I think the road name should be Locklear Road (unless the map is incorrect). It's just southeast of where SR-341 and I-95 intersect. It runs parallel with I-95.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...79.996305&spn=0.0291,0.052099&z=15&iwloc=addr

Thought I wouldn't post again, but I couldn't help myself. I too thought the same thing. This is a clip from a video I took of Locklair Road. The photo is blurry, but you can make out the spelling..
LocklairSign.jpg

Cant we all just get along ? I had wonder about the isotope testing where they can tell where a person lived. I think they did this with a little boy doe that was in CHICAGO ( i think)

Cant we all just get along ? I had wonder about the isotope testing where they can tell where a person lived. I think they did this with a little boy doe that was in CHICAGO ( i think)

Amen...

I do appreciate seeing the photos on here. Being wrapped up in this case and living in Ohio is very frustrating. I can't exactly run out to the Locklair Road or go to the grave sites or anywhere else in Sumter since I'm so far away. I truly appreciate the leg work ShadetreePI has done on this case and letting us see the photos to get a better feel for the area where this happened.

This story should give us hope that Jock& Jane Doe CAN BEEN IDENTIFIED AND SENT HOME WITH THEIR FAMILIES. Alot of similarities with the cases

so i wonder have Jock & jane does fingerprints been run through AFIS since this is how this case from 1979 has been solved this year. Storys like these really give me hope.....

1) they were around the same period the 70's

2) Locals buried him as an unidentified

3) alot of physical evidence was missing (like Jocks Teeth)

4) He was exhumed in 2000 for DNA testing

The victim, found Nov. 12, 1979, was slightly built with long blond hair and blue or gray eyes.

Police said there was no sign of sexual assault.
He had been dead less than a day and was trussed up in a series of knots Fingerprints were taken, but in the 1970s, identification by computer cross-referencing was a still-new science and fingerprint databases were far from complete.

"I assume they sent the fingerprints out, but they were never connected to anyone," Stewart said.

Locals took up a collection to have the body buried in Pine Hill Cemetery. The tombstone read, "Unidentified Homicide Victim."

As Stewart began his investigation, he found much of the physical evidence was missing. Early investigators had not taken dental impressions, and DNA identification was not in use in 1979.

On July 31, 2000, the remains of the nameless victim were exhumed. By then, forensic investigation and computer search capabilities had blossomed, and Stewart was hopeful of getting a lead.
"I kind of thought from the beginning that the chances of me finding the party responsible was going to be limited," Stewart said. "But I thought maybe I can identify him."

DNA testing provided no revelations, but in June, acting on a colleague's suggestion, Stewart submitted the body's fingerprints through the FBI's Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System, a more efficient system for matching prints than was available in 1979.

The search produced a match from an arrest in Baytown, Texas, in 1979. Daniel Wayne Dewey had been arrested for a misdemeanor -- riding a motorcycle without a helmet or an operator's license.

"It was a relief at first," Dewey said. "Then I found out how he died and it became both relief and sadness. I can't get the way he was tied up out of my mind. The lonely way he died."

Over the years, Stewart's relationship with the dead boy had deepened.
"I felt like I had gotten to know him during the time I was trying to identify him," Stewart said. "It was moving to see him finally returned to them. It was like sending him home."

The family claimed the body and held a memorial service June 23.

full story here

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/07/trooper.cold.case.ap/

another link

http://es.noticias.yahoo.com/ap/20080807/foto/pot-trooper-cold-case-9399f-3881950b7ab50.html

Im was looking at Benjamin Kyles case and this was mentioned about getting him identified.

Searching for a family
At Kingston's request, the FBI took Kyle's fingerprints and forwarded them to the National Criminal Justice Information Services Division in West Virginia. There, technicians ran the prints through their national databases, which include convicted criminals, crime scene evidence and anyone who ever served in U.S. armed forces, said William Kirkconnell, supervisory senior resident agent for the FBI in Savannah.

"There was nothing on file," They also took photographs and checked to make sure Kyle was not in the federal Witness Protection Program, Kingston said.

So I wonder if they were ran through Afis AND as in Mr Kyle's case they indicated checked to see if he was in federal witness protection.

I know this has been mentioned before but I wonder if it was ever checked into.

I dont know that canada would have something like the AFIS system

I had wonder about the isotope testing where they can tell where a person lived.

I think this would be an excellent case for isotope testing. Recent developments in the use of hydrogen and oxygen isotopes from hair could give a strong indication of the couples' national origin. This article describes the basics of the process.
http://anthropology.net/2008/02/27/...es-in-human-hair-can-tell-us-where-were-from/
There have also been strides in the use of strontium isotope levels in teeth, particular teeth enamel, to determine origin.

I was glad to see a continuation in interest in this case...Among others, this one seems imminently solvable.
I looked through my notes from a few years ago when I was working this case. Here's a few random ramblings for the "FWIW" file.

Police were able to determine there were three active "Grant's Truck Stop"s at the time the couple were found... Lupton, AZ; Boise, ID; and York, NB.

In September, after LE had circulated photos of the pair, a mechanic in NB stated that the male closely resembled a man who had sought repair to his vehicle. He stated the vehicle had either OR or WA plates (a Yahoo image search showed that OR plates were blue with yellow lettering; WA plates were white with green lettering, the same as ID plates).

For some reason or the other, I was researching a supposed victim of Ted Bundy, Lynette Culver. Lynette was 12 years old when she disappeared from her school in Pocatello, ID in May of '75. Lynette was described as 5'2 to 5'3, around 110 pounds, with longish brown hair and blue eyes. The thing that caught my eye was the mole or moles near the left corner of her mouth, just like this Jane Doe. Lynette was described as looking older than her age. A detective who lived next to her investigated her disappearance even after he retired. He reported that one her friends said something to the effect that "she is happy where she is". His belief was that she ran away.
Ted Bundy confessed to several murders in the "11th hour" before his execution. In order to extend his existence, I'm surprised that Lincoln, Kennedy, and Cleopatra weren't on the list. Bundy stated he kidnapped Lynette then took her to a local hotel where he drowned her in the bathtub. He then dumped her in a river. I haven't found any information that his account was confirmed. Investigators tried to place him there through hotel records, but were unable. Her remains have never been located.

With the identification of Tawni Lee Mazzone, I have renewed hope for this case as well. I just KNOW that this case is solvable. I am still looking, and looking, and looking. There HAS to be something out there about these two missing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500