Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks RC...I thought they would do this all in 1 hearing.

Are you saying they get the results before the hearing for custody and get to hash it out before hand? IDK if this is best to know the results before the hearing. IMO it could tip the scale, and maybe not in favor of the Rentz's. In my eyes I would rather have it all presented on the same day with testimony so the judge gets the entire pkg all in 1 day.

Now, if it does come back with some serious issues pertaining to BC are you thinking the Oct 13 hearing will just be behind closed doors, with no testimony needed?

Were it me - I would want the results before the hearing of the 16th - no surprises during the hearing. I have no idea really how the October hearing will play - in terms of the parties settling before hand or a real hearing with actual testimony. I guess that aspect will be very dependent on the status of the murder case at that time, and possibly dependent on the results of the psych evaluation if a judge has ordered it.

Were it me - I would want the results before the hearing of the 16th - no surprises during the hearing. I have no idea really how the October hearing will play - in terms of the parties settling before hand or a real hearing with actual testimony. I guess that aspect will be very dependent on the status of the murder case at that time, and possibly dependent on the results of the psych evaluation if a judge has ordered it.

Can BC be made to take the evaluation? IMO he could make the Rentz's prove he wasn't fit. I am thinking along the lines of court cases where the plaintiff has to prove the defendent is guilty. (in this case not emotionally stable)

We have seen NC friends affidavits and none showed child abuse, but some possible emotional disturbance in Bella.

We know he is going to say he was doing the best he could to further his education for possible pay increase, provided for his family and became engaged with the family once he got his MBA.

On the other side of the scale, if NC family does have evidence to a suicide attempt and he did speak about it in front of them at Christmas 2007, that is strongly in their favor.

IDK..I just know I don't want to be in either persons shoes at this time.

Can BC be made to take the evaluation? IMO he could make the Rentz's prove he wasn't fit. I am thinking along the lines of court cases where the plaintiff has to prove the defendent is guilty. (in this case not emotionally stable)

We have seen NC friends affidavits and none showed child abuse, but some possible emotional disturbance in Bella.

We know he is going to say he was doing the best he could to further his education for possible pay increase, provided for his family and became engaged with the family once he got his MBA.

On the other side of the scale, if NC family does have evidence to a suicide attempt and he did speak about it in front of them at Christmas 2007, that is strongly in their favor.

IDK..I just know I don't want to be in either persons shoes at this time.

If a judge orders BC to submit to a psych evaluation then failure to do so would result in contempt charges. I suppose he could weigh the consequences and determine what he should do if a judge orders it. I would think a refusal to comply with a judge's order would put him at an immediate disadvantage. This is also a civil matter - the standard of proof is much lower than that required in a criminal case, something along the lines of is it more or less likely the event occurred. So I suppose if 5 people say something occurred and one person says it did not - which is more likely the truth - the 5 or the 1?

I hope I am never in any of the shoes represented in this matter.

I still think that Flower Child is RIGHT ON.

Her business would have been easily run under the radar. She could have set up a bank account - you do not need to be a US citizen to open a bank account. She could have started to establish some credit, etc. All of this could have been done without Brad's knowledge. Shopping and providing fashion advice for friends and being paid to do so is not like she was bidding on government contracts and needed minority owned business status and an EIN.

Also - there was a lot of mention of Java Jive or whatever coffee house that was local. Since I don't go to those places - someone will have to indulge me - aren't they obscenely expensive? if you are struggling to feed your family with the paltry allowance your scrooge husband is giving you - would you be buying $5 lattes? Was there also not a mention of a drink being named after one of the girls? My guess is that honor is reserved for regulars.

Now- we all have our things that we spend money on that others might not understand, but when things get tough, it's pretty easy to figure out what stuff is fairly easy to cut out.

Perhaps she was controlled at one point, but based on everything that has been stated as fact, as well as the hiring of one of the best divorce attorneys around, her empowerment gained through her friends, her ability to vacation with her family, with friends, and her public dressing down of Brad - she was getting stronger, more self sufficient and had support.

I believe that it is possible that this eventual loss of control, and the fact that she was no longer meek, mild and willing to take it from Brad, and she was not going to leave the marriage without fighting for HER FAIR SHARE, as well as the childrens', well, I think this ultimately led to her murder.

First of all, I'll say that like everyone else, I have no idea if he is really guilty of anything. The statistics don't look good for him and the cops obviously consider him as at least one suspect in the crime, that much is clear.

That being said, it seems extremely presumptuous for folks to be saying what they would do in terms of memorial services if they were in Brad's position and they were actually innocent. I've never had my wife's partially clothed body found on the side of the road and had everyone assume that I had killed her. So, I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what I would do.

My gut reaction is that whatever I did would not involve TV cameras. And as long as I had any control over what happened in my children's lives, their life would also not involve any TV cameras.

In fact, I'm sure that this is not a popular opinion here, but I found those news conferences that Nancy's family participated in after her body was found to be very strange and somewhat inappropriate. The Cary police chief called two news conferences where she said absolutely nothing, but then turned the floor over to the family to talk about Nancy and then to talk about her children. In what way is it the role of the police to call news conferences for this type of thing? Do they host press conferences for families of all victims of violent crimes?

Great Post!!!! I agree completly.

Great Post!!!! I agree completly.

+1

The Rentz's holding a press conference on their own at a location they secure and inviting LE is one thing. LE hosting the PC in a town facility, inviting the family, and saying "We don't have anything to say. Here's the family..." is completely inappropriate.

IF the only trips Brad Cooper made to the grocery store the morning hours of July 12, the day Nancy went missing, were the ones mentioned in his affidavits and I understand to LE, then why would he need to obtain copies of the grocery store surveillance cameras?:rolleyes:

Could it be that this educated person who plans his every move, had FORGOTTEN about the cameras and actually gone to the store BEFORE daylight? Could his FIRST or ONLY visit to the store that morning been at just after 4:00 a.m. and the only purchase be laundry detergent? What would be the implication of this difference of the NOT suspects embellishment of the mornings movements?:eek:

Just wonderin'
;)
fran

PS...Oh, and just FWIW, MANY NOT suspects who later are arrested for a crime such as this, at FIRST offer cooperation with LE until they LAWYER UP! fran

PPS.....Oh, and ALSO, doncha' know the prisons are full of innocent men? :waitasec:Just ask 'em!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1175519.html

Bradley Cooper's attorneys requested surveillance video from the grocery store Bradley Cooper said he visited the morning his wife disappeared. They also have asked to question the medical examiner about how Nancy Cooper died; the autopsy is not yet completed.

I'm thinking it's the hearing on the MOTION for the psych eval that will be heard on Sept 22. Then the eval will be done. Usually takes more than one visit to do an eval. Testing is done as well as face-to-face by the evaluator. Then the eval will be written up. Good chance the whole thing may not be wrapped up by the October 13 custody hearing, which would then be continued.

Unless the judge orders the eval to be done, BC is under no obligation to have it done. The motion has been out there for a while, not ruled on at the settlement meeting, so now TS is asking that the date for the hearing on the motion be Sept. 22.

I still think that Flower Child is RIGHT ON.

Her business would have been easily run under the radar. She could have set up a bank account - you do not need to be a US citizen to open a bank account. She could have started to establish some credit, etc. All of this could have been done without Brad's knowledge. Shopping and providing fashion advice for friends and being paid to do so is not like she was bidding on government contracts and needed minority owned business status and an EIN.

Also - there was a lot of mention of Java Jive or whatever coffee house that was local. Since I don't go to those places - someone will have to indulge me - aren't they obscenely expensive? if you are struggling to feed your family with the paltry allowance your scrooge husband is giving you - would you be buying $5 lattes? Was there also not a mention of a drink being named after one of the girls? My guess is that honor is reserved for regulars.

Now- we all have our things that we spend money on that others might not understand, but when things get tough, it's pretty easy to figure out what stuff is fairly easy to cut out.

Perhaps she was controlled at one point, but based on everything that has been stated as fact, as well as the hiring of one of the best divorce attorneys around, her empowerment gained through her friends, her ability to vacation with her family, with friends, and her public dressing down of Brad - she was getting stronger, more self sufficient and had support.

I believe that it is possible that this eventual loss of control, and the fact that she was no longer meek, mild and willing to take it from Brad, and she was not going to leave the marriage without fighting for HER FAIR SHARE, as well as the childrens', well, I think this ultimately led to her murder.

I believe you're right on!

The most dangerous time for an abuse victim, is when they're attempting to severe the relationship.

Domestic abuse is ALL about CONTROL!

JMHO
fran

Tonight my husband brought up a good point that I had not thought of....

By pushing for the psychiatric test as NC's family is, if it proves BC does have some psychological issues, then IMO K&B are going to jump all over it in their defense for BC if he gets charged with murder. Should we be handing them this on a silver platter?

That was one of the first things I thought of when they asked for it originally.

Mom2three...I have to laugh at you. You noticed the upstairs blinds being closed on the back side of Brad Cooper's home in the last few days. I noticed that about 2 days ago.

Are we neighbors? Ha ha. We are probably riding past each other daily. Although I think you once mentioned that you don't live in this neighborhood (Lochmere)?

Tell you what. You put a Mom2Three WS bumper sticker on your car and I'll put NCNative WS on mine. We'll toot at each other when we pass by. :D

Do you know if there actually is a camera at the HSprings/CPkwy intersection, and if it is working? I don't go in that direction often. I'd say they need one there. Kids used to drag race on the Cary Parkway late at night, and on Lochmere Drive as well. I don't notice the drag race noises any more, especially in the last year or so.

Mornin' everyone. ncnative you and mom MUST be neighbors and just don't realize it yet. It's a small world. I met people from Michelle Youngs case that I went to school with and lived in the same town and never even knew it till I met them on the boards. :)

+1

The Rentz's holding a press conference on their own at a location they secure and inviting LE is one thing. LE hosting the PC in a town facility, inviting the family, and saying "We don't have anything to say. Here's the family..." is completely inappropriate.

I know we the general public get frustrated when LE holds a press conference and says 'nothing new.' I've seen it a hundred times. Then you ask yourself, 'they why are you even having this presser?'

Then when they allow the family to get up and they talk about 'personal things regarding the victim,' many may think that's 'inappropriate.'

IMHO, I can't even imagine how these every-day people are able to suddenly deal with the onslaught of sometimes hundreds of reporters, cameras, etc., suddenly being in their face and scrutinizing their every move. It must be a shock to their system. Most investigations may have a reporter or two approach for a newspaper article, but to be followed every time you open a door and a microphone thrust at you,..........well,...........I would find it annoying.

IMO, LE did the best they could to keep the public informed of the up to date info, without jeopradizing the investigation.

OTOH, once it was deemed a murder, many people were concerned about the family and most especially about the little ones. Then there's also the dynamics of the shocked family losing their loved one and the hurtful words being thrown around. Yes, even about suspecting the husband of the crime. I'm sure, especially IF he's innocent, this has felt like a nightmare.

This was the only chance for this family to get out that Nancy was a wonderful person and the girls are doing as well as can be expected and that they're the #1 priority of the friends and family. I believe they also got the word out about the memorial services that were going to be held within the next few days. IIRC, there was also a statement to the effect this would be the last presser. (in other words, 'back off now.')

To repeat the old cliche, no one knows how you'd act in this same situation. Everyone grieves in their own way. Just like many are justifying the actions and words of the grieving husband during this time, IMO, the family should be given the same sort of pass.

This is one situation where I would NOT want to find out how I would react.

JMHO
fran

Does anyone know if Nancy's family were given the opportunity to go into the Cooper's home after her death, say, to get the children's things? It seems that if my daughter were missing, I'd immediately get to her home and join in with the husband and grandchildren to help out. I might stay in a hotel, but I'd go to the home too.

I wonder if she kept a blog/diary? She probably emailed her twin sister about things she'd never tell anyone else. I'm thinking of these possibilities that LE could've looked into.

The psych. eval. could actually be a very interesting test. If he wants his kids, and passes the test to prove he's stable, would he then be able to claim psychological problems if he eventually went to trial for the murder**?

The results of a psychological test could not work to his advantage in both situations.

**I understand that he hasn't been charged with any crime. The "if"'s in my post are big ones. But, he definitely seems to be the #1 target of LE.

Does anyone know if Nancy's family were given the opportunity to go into the Cooper's home after her death, say, to get the children's things? It seems that if my daughter were missing, I'd immediately get to her home and join in with the husband and grandchildren to help out. I might stay in a hotel, but I'd go to the home too.

I wonder if she kept a blog/diary? She probably emailed her twin sister about things she'd never tell anyone else. I'm thinking of these possibilities that LE could've looked into.

It's hard to tell IF he would have allowed Nancy's family 'free access' to obtain possessions of Nancy's or the girl's.

On one hand we've heard he's not confrontational and like with the pressers, would agree verbally, but at the first opportune moment when not face to face, opt out without having to answer questions on 'why?'

OTOH, abuse is about control and we've heard rumors Brad was big on control, ie the money situation and sudden demands Nancy change her plans because he wanted to see the girls ASAP. So, he MAY have told them he'd get whatever they wanted, IF he wanted to let them have it.

I guess my answer would be 'I don't know.' We'll most likely have to wait until everything comes out, IF it ever does.

JMHO
fran

Topsail Girl, it's very scary that Michelle Young's high school pictures have another girl who was murdered, unrelated to MY. As well, just to add to the eerieness, my adult son is dating a woman from the area on Long Island where MY came from. Well, I guess that's eerie. Maybe not. Then, my distant memory tells of another murder of a girl who was an actress (from MY's town) and murdered. I may be all churned up in the brain department. Just adding to the small world tidbit.

When I ride past the Cooper's home almost daily on my way to here and there (mostly physical therapy), their back yard and home feel "dead", not a part of everything else. Normalcy is gone.

Sometimes I think that husband and I being oldfarts who are almost predictable and all, is a good thing, considering what some folks live through daily. This murder refreshed my perspective on our 35 year marriage, the fun we've had and still have, how we do things together, even if it's just going out to Home Depot together or out to eat, and how much fun the little things are. We had good times with the kids as they grew up and life is still fun! Little by little.

Sure, we ran into big deals like serious illnesses between the two of us, me despising his mom and how she tried to meddle in our lives for decades til she died (I didn't let her control our lives YAY!!), and other not so perfect things in life that came along. How sad that some folks have the same 24 hrs. a day and it ends up unhappy or they end up in a heap on the side of the road where the vultures await.

I know we the general public get frustrated when LE holds a press conference and says 'nothing new.' I've seen it a hundred times. Then you ask yourself, 'they why are you even having this presser?'

Then when they allow the family to get up and they talk about 'personal things regarding the victim,' many may think that's 'inappropriate.'

IMHO, I can't even imagine how these every-day people are able to suddenly deal with the onslaught of sometimes hundreds of reporters, cameras, etc., suddenly being in their face and scrutinizing their every move. It must be a shock to their system. Most investigations may have a reporter or two approach for a newspaper article, but to be followed every time you open a door and a microphone thrust at you,..........well,...........I would find it annoying.

IMO, LE did the best they could to keep the public informed of the up to date info, without jeopradizing the investigation.

OTOH, once it was deemed a murder, many people were concerned about the family and most especially about the little ones. Then there's also the dynamics of the shocked family losing their loved one and the hurtful words being thrown around. Yes, even about suspecting the husband of the crime. I'm sure, especially IF he's innocent, this has felt like a nightmare.

This was the only chance for this family to get out that Nancy was a wonderful person and the girls are doing as well as can be expected and that they're the #1 priority of the friends and family. I believe they also got the word out about the memorial services that were going to be held within the next few days. IIRC, there was also a statement to the effect this would be the last presser. (in other words, 'back off now.')

To repeat the old cliche, no one knows how you'd act in this same situation. Everyone grieves in their own way. Just like many are justifying the actions and words of the grieving husband during this time, IMO, the family should be given the same sort of pass.

This is one situation where I would NOT want to find out how I would react.

JMHO
fran

Excellent points Fran.

First off congrats to you and to Mr. ncnative for 35 years!!!! :clap: If you've made it that long it's obvious to me that the two of you look at your relationship as a partnership. Things good and bad come and go but together you weather the storms and enjoy the good times. You are committed to working through problems whether they are health or financial or whatever. I hope to one day be able to post that I've been married for 35 years. Right now I'm working on year 12. I never take my hubby for granted. I can sleep at night and know he loves me and would never hurt me.

Sadly for Michelle and for Nancy their marriages were not partnerships but more like dictatorships. Brad and Jason are cut of the same cloth in my opinion and I believe we'll see the similarities between these two monsters grow as more and more comes out. Their controlling behavior, their ME ME ME attitudes, the affairs, the spending...

Nancy and Michelle however seem to be quite different. Nancy was the stay at home mom who knew her marriage was in shambles and wanted out. She loved her daughters and I belive she stayed with Brad much longer than she wanted to becauseof the girls. (Also the pass port situation which I think Brad did intentionally). Michelle was the doting mom but she was a go-getter in the work place. She loved her family and her career. She was willing to cut her hours back to be home with Rylan and Cassie but still wanted to work. Financially she may have been forced to work. She had no idea just how bad things in her marriage were. I know she knew trouble was a-brewing because she sought counseling. However that beautiful woman had no idea just how evil her husband really was.

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1021081

A month after former Edmonton-area woman Nancy Cooper was murdered in North Carolina police say they are making "good progress" in identifying her killer. Carey Police Chief Pat Bazemore says: "I want to express my absolute confidence that we will solve this terrible crime and bring the person or persons responsible to justice". Investigators may be waiting for the result of DNA analysis that could point them at a killer. Meanwhile, Nancy Cooper's family here in the Edmonton area has re-applied to have her husband Brad forced to undergo a psychological assessment. A hearing on the new application will be held on September 22nd...weeks before a custody hearing resumes for Cooper's two daughters Bella and Katie.

Local Edmonton radio station

This is from a local radio station. I have not read the statement I bolded anywhere else ?? Did I miss that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump