NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

Something tells me that these claims are gonna come back and bite them in the ***.
Like big time.

"The children were receiving high-level clinical care for complex mental health diagnoses requiring experienced professionals with full knowledge of critical medications and specialized treatment regimens."
Re. the previously bolded sentence : Oh, I kind of doubt that !!!
Sounds like a professional-sounding 'word salad', concocted to cover themselves ?
Omo.

Wish there was a transcript of this discussion
Did you or anyone listen?
I just did for about half an hour and am getting all my questions answered and then some.
It was claimed that the LE around Trails gets bullied by them and caves.
Part of the reason is Trails is local and provides jobs and also donates to politics.
This was in the beginning of the interview when Mike Collins asked why LE waited 3 days and succumbed to Trails not letting them on the crime scene, talk to staff and the kids.
Why did it take 3 days to get the warrants?

LE was called to Trails on a Saturday so being the weekend they waited until Monday.
IMO: In other words they didn't want to disturb a judge ...FACEPALM...
The guy whose been investigating trails since 2021 said that all the kids who were at Trials went to other camps.
There's so much more, I stopped at who gets bonuses and will finish it later.
It's upsetting and extremely frustrating listening to how this billion dollar industry does what the hell they want with no federal laws overseeing them and knowing that these kids have no rights at all like it they were in the court system or their local school.
Fabulous interviewer and panel.
Well worth the time.

Click "Charlotte Talks With Mike Collins" in link
GUESTS:
  • Nick Ochsner, WBTV’s executive producer for investigations & chief investigative reporter
  • Meg Appelgate, co-founder and CEO of Unsilenced
  • Alan Mortensen, attorney with Mortensen & Milne Law
  • Nicolle Okoren, journalist who wrote about residential treatment camps for The Guardian

Click
"Charlotte Talks With Mike Collins" in link and scroll down to Feb 26,2024

Charlotte Talks With Mike Collins

Thank you so much for posting this interview.
I'm half way through and suggest that everyone take the time, and if needed breaks and listen to it.
IMO: Bottom line it's our politicians who enabled and enables this multi-billion dollar unregulated industry to continue letting our children be turned over to child abusers who have taken all of their constitutional rights from them.
Even id there were federal laws and state regulations there's no way this industry can be monitored.
Inspections once a year are an offensive joke and that's not even guaranteed.

Huh?
Could this be accurate that Trail's Carolina has 84 current employees?
I'm not familiar with how Zoom works.

Hmmmm... How many people in the group of 84 are/were solely dedicated to helping, and/or counseling the campers?

Are the maintenance workers, cooks, plumbers, electricians, bookkeepers, painters, repairmen or women, accountants, etc., included in the 84-person group? (I have probably left some workers out; and I certainly may have included some whose services are only when needed.)
Just wondering...

Hmmmm... How many people in the group of 84 are/were solely dedicated to helping, and/or counseling the campers?

Are the maintenance workers, cooks, plumbers, electricians, bookkeepers, painters, repairmen or women, accountants, etc., included in the 84-person group? (I have probably left some workers out; and I certainly may have included some whose services are only when needed.)
Just wondering...
Their job title follows each of their names.

Something tells me that these claims are gonna come back and bite them in the ***.
Like big time.

"The children were receiving high-level clinical care for complex mental health diagnoses requiring experienced professionals with full knowledge of critical medications and specialized treatment regimens."
MOO: This is a typical 100% cover-one's-bum statement carefully crafted by lawyers/reputation management professionals to cover every aspect of what the camp wants to project to parents and the public and probably covers every aspect of legal vulnerability.

...and one more thing. Did the camp have a handbook of best practices and protocols for staffers for all the difficult situations they were going to encounter and be expected to handle?

Last edited:
I'm half way through and suggest that everyone take the time, and if needed breaks and listen to it.
IMO: Bottom line it's our politicians who enabled and enables this multi-billion dollar unregulated industry to continue letting our children be turned over to child abusers who have taken all of their constitutional rights from them.
Even id there were federal laws and state regulations there's no way this industry can be monitored.
It IS politicians -- at all levels from federal down to town and community -- who kowtow to the rich landowners and anyone who provides jobs in poor counties.

*this is more of a topical post I think is relateable. I couldn’t find a thread for this particular school…

“This idea of thinking that you can send your kid off to a one-stop shop, one-size-fits-all program that will fix them, that just doesn't work,” Kubler says.

Other schools for troubled teens, but not under WWASP, have faced controversy through the years too, including Trails Carolina. On February 2 of this year, a 12-year-old boy from New York died at Trails Carolina less than 24 hours after arriving at the camp. Since then, all admissions have been suspended and all children were removed from camp pending an investigation, WRAL reports.

“We really hope there's some justice that comes from all of this and that it will empower more people to speak out,” Kubler says about her upcoming docuseries.

*this is more of a topical post I think is relateable. I couldn’t find a thread for this particular school…

“This idea of thinking that you can send your kid off to a one-stop shop, one-size-fits-all program that will fix them, that just doesn't work,” Kubler says.

Other schools for troubled teens, but not under WWASP, have faced controversy through the years too, including Trails Carolina. On February 2 of this year, a 12-year-old boy from New York died at Trails Carolina less than 24 hours after arriving at the camp. Since then, all admissions have been suspended and all children were removed from camp pending an investigation, WRAL reports.

“We really hope there's some justice that comes from all of this and that it will empower more people to speak out,” Kubler says about her upcoming docuseries.

There's also another on Netflix that came out last year called Hell Camp. I haven't watched it (obviously, The Program isn't out yet so I haven't seen that either) but I do plan on watching them soon, when I'm up for it.

MOO

RSBM

*points to my signature*

As I have said before, this garbage kills kids. It just does. Candace Newmaker. Terrance Cottrell. Skyler Wilson. Many I do not know about. And this poor boy, whose name we do not know. Restraint kills children. They die scared, gasping for breath, begging for help from the people killing them. Many of them are disabled, have been labelled behaviour disordered or defiant, or are adopted or from the foster care system. Many have a history of being abused or neglected. Many are traumatised or mentally ill. None of them deserved it.

MOO

I was put sent to learn restraining (still can't remember the name of the damn program) for 4 YEAR OLD CHILDREN AND UP. The other adults there where for adult psychiatric patients, prison inmates, etc. They were stunned to find out the age of my "specialty". I was embarrassed. But, it was deemed necessary to protect myself, the child, other children and staff. The one take away was it was the LAST RESORT! Oddly enough, after the training, I rarely if ever used it. Why? Because it had been used on me during the training and I hated it and swore I would never use it on my little guys unless I absolutely had to. Meaning, another child's life was in danger These kids had been horribly abused and had seemingly no use for another human being by the time they got to me at 3. The restraining I'm hearing about here was never covered there and people came all over NC for this program. This was 6 years ago?

I'd like to say I watched this today, and I HIGHLY recommend it to help understand this case and the troubled teen industry.

It was probably one of the most powerful documentary films I've ever seen in my life.

Harrowing, devastating, truth telling.

Full of survivor/gallows humour about trauma, which might be startling to those who have not had childhood trauma but resonated very strongly with me, another person with C-PTSD.

If you choose to watch, stay safe, check in with yourself, talk to someone if it messes you up. You are not alone.

MOO

We have talked about this case more than MSM has now. I feared in the beginning that this would start to get swept under the rug. I wish the media would put more pressure for more information. No attention is how these places continue to sneak away untouched.

March 8, 2024, 6:00 AM CST
By Elizabeth Chuck and Tyler Kingkade

Following the 12-year-old’s death, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, a nonprofit organization that certifies programs that meet certain standards, suspended Trails Carolina’s accreditation. Another accreditation group, the Association for Experiential Education, said it is collecting information to determine if it should take “further action” regarding Trails Carolina’s accreditation.
‘Where the hell am I?’: Former campers describe harsh introduction to Trails Carolina

more horror stories from previous "campers" and some more parents supporting Trails Carolina add their two cents.

March 8, 2024, 6:00 AM CST
By Elizabeth Chuck and Tyler Kingkade

Following the 12-year-old’s death, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, a nonprofit organization that certifies programs that meet certain standards, suspended Trails Carolina’s accreditation. Another accreditation group, the Association for Experiential Education, said it is collecting information to determine if it should take “further action” regarding Trails Carolina’s accreditation.
‘Where the hell am I?’: Former campers describe harsh introduction to Trails Carolina

more horror stories from previous "campers" and some more parents supporting Trails Carolina add their two cents.
I’m ignorant here: does accreditation from any of these groups actually matter?

If a business is able to operate the same without accreditation, it seems like the equivalent of a LinkedIn certification on using Windows 95 or whatever—sure some people might weed you out based on it, and you might not get government contracts, but desperate employers/parents are going to go to you regardless.

Excuse the personal question but, do/did you have a child you sent to such a camp?

IMO, the camps exist because the parents want them, not the politicians.

JMO

Excuse the personal question but, do/did you have a child you sent to such a camp?

JMO
It truly is a multimillion dollar industry. That's made clear in The Program documentary. And large political donations are part of the whole 'follow the money' trail.

MOO

JMO
I think this is correct, but it's only part of the story. We live in a throwaway society whereby some parents abdicate the raising of their children to schools, coaches, psychiatric medications, and yes, groups like this that promise to make difficult children easier to deal with.

But (in MOO) that doesn't mean these camps should exist. There's a lot of money to be made in taking in the children of wealthy parents and straightening them out, via methods CHS would likely remove them from their home if parents were to try.

If you or I put our child in a sleeping environment so restrictive they had panic attacks or forced our children to wear clothing they soiled because we wouldn't give them bathroom breaks, we'd lose our children.

And that's what needs to happen to these camps. They need to lose the ability to enroll any children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back