NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

One question: The private investigator states that the criminal entered through the back door. The front door was open when the mother of Jaye arrived. So apparently he left through the front door. How come people didn't notice anything?

Points to consider in this murder case coincidence or not:

1) It happened close to the youngest son's birthday.
2) The elder child was taken by the paternal grandmother on some errands (he could have been a witness)
3) The mother (Lorene) got that phone call and the killer knew she would call her daughter and this would've made easier for him to enter the house. BUT this could be a ruse. He already knew she was alone, and left that newspaper on purpose to create a narrative of the occasional killer.
4) He knew there was only the 2-old year boy (who wouldn't recognise him) and that Jay's cousin was not at home.
5) He entered the house murdered Jay and left without any problems (suggesting he was someone who wouldn't call the attention).
6) He knew the area around quite well. And the habits of the neighbours too.
8) So, he is (was?) a highly intelligent criminal with experience, not the occasional pervert or someone mad who suddenly started stalking her, no doubt about it. So the killer knew everything about her and her life habits, the places. An uncommon knowledge, in my opinion, as he was in control of the whole situation, and the right timing all along.

Last edited:
rbbm.
By David Lohr 2017
Who Killed Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz? Nearly Three Decades Later, Murder Remains Unsolved
''Dr. Maurice Godwin, a criminal investigative psychologist who was recently granted access to the police files, described the murder scene to HuffPost.

"Her hands had been tied behind her back and a pillowcase covered her face," Godwin said. "When her mom removed the pillowcase, she saw her daughter's throat had been cut so deep that her head was nearly severed from her body. She had also been stabbed multiple times." Mintz had also been raped, Godwin said.

Investigators were puzzled from the start of the investigation.''

''Braswell said Potter questioned the child about her daughter's killer.

"One thing he remembered was a knock at the door," she said. "He told her Jaye looked out the peep hole and she didn't see anybody. She opened the door and the man immediately came in. He said it was a white male -- someone he didn't know."

''In the weeks following the homicide, investigators ruled out several people known to Mintz. Her estranged husband, a man she married in 1983 and separated from in 1986, had a solid alibi -- he was enlisted in the Army and stationed in Germany. The owner of a local restaurant whom she had recently started dating also had an alibi -- he was with at his house with a plumber. Others were also checked off the list, one by one. No one who knew her, it seemed, had means or motive.

"She didn't have an enemy in the world," Braswell said. "She had a heart of gold. She was always nice to everyone and never said an unkind word. Talk to anyone who knew her and they all say the same things: She was a sweet, wonderful person. We don't understand how anybody could ever hurt someone like her."

''Cummings said the killer brought the nylon rope used to bind the victim and the knife used to kill her. Despite those actions, he does not believe the killer was methodical or that the slaying was well-planned.

"There were some things that occurred that indicated, at some point in time during the commission of the crime, the suspect may have been in control of himself, but then at another point, he was not," he continued.

Godwin, the criminal investigative psychologist, disagrees.

"I believe the individual had been stalking her," he said. "The person was comfortable watching the house and going in. He knew there was not an adult male in the home, so he had to be watching."

Godwin added, "The newspaper ad could be a ruse left at the crime scene to taunt [investigators]."

''The killer, both men said, also slid in and out of the home during a short window of opportunity, without anyone taking notice.''

"It is one of the things that stands out the most," Godwin said.

As Cummings explained, "[The slaying] happened during the day. Her house was on a well-traveled road -- there was a restaurant less than one-tenth of a mile east and a flower shop next door -- and there was a roofing crew working on a house across the street. How did he get in, commit such a brutal crime, and be unseen and unknown?"

"This is not a sexual advance, turned rejection, turned anger, turned murder," Godwin said. "It is a complex case, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to solve."

By the way, a few more points to consider based on what is currently available:

If Jay started to be harassed by phone only after posting that waterbed ads in the newspaper:

1) The creature who made those calls did not know her number BEFORE the ads (so, people who knew her very well could not be considered suspects).
2) She needed an extra cash, so he might have said to some of her friends, co-workers or acquaintances about the waterbed. And one of them might have told someone , who had Jay in sight already, about this waterbed (possibly someone in the neighborhood).
3) That was how the predator started planning the attack. He had everything ready , just waiting for an opportunity.
4) Then the ads disappeared and appeared again next week, this is when he decided the time was "right".
4) The "right time" came on the youngest son's birthday when he noticed one of the kids was gone and only the toddler would be home. He made the phone call, just to confirm it.
5) All of this confirms the guy was either living nearby, or stayed nearby and had the house in sight for a long time.
6) He knew the house inside or had contacts with someone who knew and described it to him.
7) The paper was just a ruse, making her trust him, allowing him inside the house. I have changed my mind on this maybe he left it behind not on purpose.

I had two theories but this one is more plausible (at least for now).

I think the PD or someone else have come to the same conclusions, but just in case:

He was someone not known by her, at least not a friend or acquaintance.
He may have belonged to the inner circle of one of her friends/acquaintances
He was someone who knew the place well. He had time to study it, plenty of time, suggesting he might have been stationed very close.

Try to get more data by interviewing those who she knew well or worked with. Then get the names of those "working" or living nearby at that time whenever possible.

Please do not get me wrong, but hiring someone else as a 2nd investigator (not necessarily replacing the man working in this case) would be an alternative. Fresh ideas are always good.

I hope and pray this case will be solved.

Last edited:
Yes, your right, there is definitely close connection to workplace. As you say, she was short in cash she must have mentioned this at work and this person who may had an eye on her, would have heard from the colleque or friends. He may have also tried to approach her she may have turned him down or did not take serious
Or maybe offered her cash expecting of her
affection.
He stalked her well to the point he knew everything about her rutin and visitors, I think this person did not live close, he probably watched her from distance from the car.
I read somewhere, according to her cousin, she mentioned a man regularly visit the restaurant where she worked, leave her good amounts of tips. Leave her single rose at work she also mentioned someone used to leave single rose at the front of her house.
I just don't understand why those men not Interviewed thoroughly.their names must have been in the files, all they have to as you say, find those men and obtain Dna. I think Dr. Maurice godvin had to look at this case, I read somewhere, he commented as the killer is in the files, all they have to do is to identify the person.

Last edited:
Yes, your right, there is definitely close connection to workplace. As you say, she was short in cash she must have mentioned this at work and this person who may had an eye on her, would have heard from the colleque or friends. He may have also tried to approach her she may have turned him down or did not take serious
Or maybe offered her cash expecting of her
affection.
He stalked her well to the point he knew everything about her rutin and visitors, I think this person did not live close, he probably watched her from distance from the car.
I read somewhere, according to her cousin, she mentioned a man regularly visit the restaurant where she worked, leave her good amounts of tips. Leave her single rose at work she also mentioned someone used to leave single rose at the front of her house.
I just don't understand why those men not Interviewed thoroughly.their names must have been in the files, all they have to as you say, find those men and obtain Dna. I think Dr. Maurice godvin had to look at this case, I read somewhere, he commented as the killer is in the files, all they have to do is to identify the person.

It is one of those cases where a small flaw or lack of attention from those investigating cost more than 30 years of anguish to her family. The other issue is the Police doesn't like people telling them what to do.

Once the investigation starts with a basic flaw, it doesn't take much until it gets cold. I have seen this happening in the case of Rachel Trlica ( The Forth Worth Trio case) . It is amazing that an obvious clue is just in front of their noses and they just don't do anything.

Believe me such cases take a long time to be solved it might be not due to their natural complexity or lack of clues, but rather uncompetence. I wouldn't rule out pride or lack of interest.

Last edited:
I’m just surprised at how this person was just able to leave in daylight and not be seen. They had to be covered in blood.
I’m hoping this DNA makes it just a matter of time, a short wait.

A professional or at least someone with experience. He had already done similar murders in the past or knew what to do from another similar activity. The knot used is a lead. This criminal possibly got a coverall at hand.

DNA is taking so long you may wonder what is going on.

Last edited:
A professional or at least someone with experience. He had already done similar murders in the past or knew what to do from other similar activities. The knot used is a lead. This criminal possibly got a coverall at hand.

DNA is taking so long you may wonder what is going on.

I was just reading various articles that I could find and there was a lot of people who volunteered interviews and samples. We would hope that would have narrowed it a bit. I agree that this person was experienced enough to stay cool but it seems this wouldn’t be the only violent act they have committed. This is truly a puzzle.

I was just reading various articles that I could find and there was a lot of people who volunteered interviews and samples. We would hope that would have narrowed it a bit. I agree that this person was experienced enough to stay cool but it seems this wouldn’t be the only violent act they have committed. This is truly a puzzle.

Hi There.

Obviously none of them was the criminal, but at least one of them knew him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the one who knew him also knew what he did and covered his steps with false alibi.

Last edited:
I’m sure they looked into the person who actually bought the bed that she had.

Edit to add that while browsing around on this, I notice the area recently had a case from 95 that they made a charge and got a plea on so hope isn’t lost.

I’m sure they looked into the person who actually bought the bed that she had.

Edit to add that while browsing around on this, I notice the area recently had a case from 95 that they made a charge and got a plea on so hope isn’t lost.

Last edited:
I didn't know the bed was sol in the end and about the 05 case. Do you have a link to this? Thanks!

I don’t know how to link from this pad but I read a couple of reports while searching last night that said her mom called about someone inquiring about it and it was sold. Her mother told her to inform the guy when he showed up. The story of it seems to end there.

I don’t know how to link from this pad but I read a couple of reports while searching last night that said her mom called about someone inquiring about it and it was sold. Her mother told her to inform the guy when he showed up. The story of it seems to end there.

Hi. Yes, I knew it was sold ( I was not clear, sorry) , I thought the bed was still in the house when the crime happened, and she was still waiting for the (true) buyer to pick it up.

Hi. Yes, I knew it was sold ( I was not clear, sorry) , I thought the bed was still in the house when the crime happened, and she was still waiting for the (true) buyer to pick it up.

Yes, I read this to be correct too. I think she was found on that bed wasn’t she? There just has to be good DNA preserved in this case.

Wondering about the workers at Beverly's neighbour's house...

Waterbeds have a sexual connotation for some people, imo, maybe most particularly for people who already are ''bent''.

For a perp to not only rape a young woman in her home with a small child present, but to slit her throat, he must already be a rumbling mix of desire and hate looking for an excuse to go off on someone.

A guy like that could get all excited and angry at the same time thinking about the (in his mind, dirty/kinky) female with a waterbed for sale.
All speculation, imo.

Wondering about the workers at Beverly's neighbour's house...

Waterbeds have a sexual connotation for some people, imo, maybe most particularly for people who already are ''bent''.

For a perp to not only rape a young woman in her home with a small child present, but to slit her throat, he must already be a rumbling mix of desire and hate looking for an excuse to go off on someone.

A guy like that could get all excited and angry at the same time thinking about the (in his mind, dirty/kinky) female with a waterbed for sale.
All speculation, imo.

I’m curious about the work crew nearby too but I’m sure they were well vetted. There seems to have been a lot of positive cooperation from those close by.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gymtherapy
Back