NC NC - Bryce, 51, Virginia, 46, & Bobby Durham, 19, Boone, 2 Feb 1972

Why did Virginia say in the phone call that the intruders were black? We know now that they were white.Did she say that? Did Troy misunderstand her? Was that just a misreported fact? So many questions.

Why did Virginia say in the phone call that the intruders were black? We know now that they were white.Did she say that? Did Troy misunderstand her? Was that just a misreported fact? So many questions.

That's right! Troy said Virginia spoke of black men attacked Bryce and Bobby....I wonder if Birt knows who hired for the murders? Still so many questions before this is fully solved, IMO....

50-year-old triple homicide cold case solved after tip leads to a 'Dixie Mafia' inmate - CNN

Just found this article, I hadn't noticed this thread was updated. Great news! This case was always such a big mystery! LE did a good investigation, but there wasn't much to work with. I'm so glad their surviving daughter has some answers. IIRC, some people suspected her and her husband, which seemed unfair. JMO They were a very young married couple at the time.

I wonder if this was some sort of robbery gone bad? Were they expecting to find a safe with a lot of cash or something? Had the father come across a car theft ring or something?

IIRC, the father was due to give a talk at the local Chamber of Commerce dinner.

50-year-old triple homicide cold case solved after tip leads to a 'Dixie Mafia' inmate - CNN

Just found this article, I hadn't noticed this thread was updated. Great news! This case was always such a big mystery! LE did a good investigation, but there wasn't much to work with. I'm so glad their surviving daughter has some answers. IIRC, some people suspected her and her husband, which seemed unfair. JMO They were a very young married couple at the time.

I wonder if this was some sort of robbery gone bad? Were they expecting to find a safe with a lot of cash or something? Had the father come across a car theft ring or something?

IIRC, the father was due to give a talk at the local Chamber of Commerce dinner.

Thank you for sharing this! I really thought this case would remain unsolved and I'm so glad I was wrong!

I’d like to know more on the Dixie Mafia angle here. That has a long and sorted reputation, to the point where many convicts in the south have claimed an association just for credibility and to create fear.

I’d like to know more on the Dixie Mafia angle here. That has a long and sorted reputation, to the point where many convicts in the south have claimed an association just for credibility and to create fear.

This made me think of your earlier comment about the Dixie Mafia and Pam & Jim, the couple murdered in Sumter, SC. Maybe not these guys, but people who were part of this organized crime system. Bryce owned the Buick dealership, etc.
Apparently, the men who executed the Durham family fancied themselves professional killers and had some experience. They hadn't counted on Virginia making a phone call, though.

I wonder if Virginia was just assuming the killers were black that night. It's possible they were wearing ski masks (or similar face and head coverings. Probably wore gloves, too. It wouldn't have looked unusual that snowy night.

I keep thinking there was another thread here on this case. I recall reading extensively and looking at maps, nearby roads, a shopping center, Bryce's auto dealership, etc.

This made me think of your earlier comment about the Dixie Mafia and Pam & Jim, the couple murdered in Sumter, SC. Maybe not these guys, but people who were part of this organized crime system. Bryce owned the Buick dealership, etc.
Apparently, the men who executed the Durham family fancied themselves professional killers and had some experience. They hadn't counted on Virginia making a phone call, though.

I wonder if Virginia was just assuming the killers were black that night. It's possible they were wearing ski masks (or similar face and head coverings. Probably wore gloves, too. It wouldn't have looked unusual that snowy night.

I keep thinking there was another thread here on this case. I recall reading extensively and looking at maps, nearby roads, a shopping center, Bryce's auto dealership, etc.

They were a widespread crime bunch for decades in the south. Kirksey Nix was more of a gulf coast criminal but that network spread wide and did a lot of damage. Some of them financed drug deals and murder hits while serving time in LA and MS.

I also just saw this on a YouTube crime channel I watch called Criminally listed. The recently updated show.

This was one of my never thought it would be solved cases.

On the show I also found out that the Babes in the Woods - Vancouver Canada 1953 - where two children bodies were found under a coat with aviation hats. At first thought to be boy and girl but a few years ago found to be 2 half-brothers. They have now been identified and were actually killed in 1948.

Troy said that Virginia said 3 black men held Bobby and Bryce....but now we know it was 3 white guys inside the house. This kind of leads me to believe that Troy knew what was going on at the Durham's house that night. I wonder how Troy, Ginny and the neighbor missed the exit Jimmy while on the drive to the Durham's?

Did Troy believe there was a lot of money in the house, and the killers could have it in exchange for the murders? I still have questions and would like answers...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back