NC NC - Durham, WhtMale 30-40, UP15147, skeletal, wooded area near hotel, Eddie Bauer jacket, Apr'16

Curious_in_NC

Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread on WS for this 5 year old case. The remains were found April 27, 2016 near Research Triangle Park, between the cities of Raleigh and Durham. The location is also close to I-40 and near the regional transit center (bus station) in RTP. There's not much information and no updates in MSM since then that I can find.

What's believed to be human remains found in Durham

Authorities are investigating what's believed to be human remains found in a wooded area off Slater Road Wednesday evening.

Police tell ABC11 that skeletal remains were found by surveyors at least 100 yards into the woods, not far from I-540. They said the bones may have been there for at least a year.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Adult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years) 30-40
Height 5' 11"(71 inches) , Estimated Weight - Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains found not far from a hotel in the woods.

Inventory of Remains All parts recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Clothing and Accessories

Dark colored pair of pants and an "Eddie Bauer" size Tall XL jacket. Near the Body
Footwear Two brown shoes On the Body

I live near that neighborhood so I am really surprised I never heard about McAbee before now. He was reported missing over Memorial Day weekend so maybe I was elsewhere at thta time. His WS thread is here:
NC - NC - Hollis McAbee, 31, Durham, 29 May 2010
They still haven’t ruled Kirk McAbee out? His younger brothers were friends of friends [of friends] of mine when we were in school and I know at least one of them was still hoping for answers in recent years. KM’s disappearance has always really bothered me—I didn’t know him, but I remember him and his brothers.

The Eddie Bauer jacket really sticks out to me. I know it’s not exactly an uncommon brand, but I remember the younger McAbee boys being really well dressed. Assuming KM was planning to go to his kid’s birthday party before he disappeared, I don’t think black slacks, a nice ish jacket, and non-sneaker shoes would be out of place. (Could just be that I was from the other side of town and Eddie Bauer seems like something nicer to me than it really is though.)

Anyway, it would be nice to know if any of the clothes or the shoes found near this Doe were made before 2010. I don’t have a good sense of just how thick the trees/brush in that area are, or (more importantly) what it looked like 100 yards in between 2010 and 2016. Definitely more chance than not that it’s completely wishful thinking KM was just hidden down near the airport for six years. Slater Road John Doe could easily be someone else entirely. Maybe he just wandered away from the transportation center across the street. Either way, I wish he had his name.

Finally, both the NamUs Paige and the map in the original news clip don’t really show where Doe was actually found. In the clip, you can see the intersection of Parliament and Slater right behind the reporter. Then, the reporter turns to his right and gestures toward the crime scene tape on the north side of Slater, which is roughly where they found John Doe.

Link: 35°52'29.0"N 78°50'11.1"W

Attachments

• IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3300.jpeg
    IMG_3300.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3301.jpeg
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3302.jpeg