Found Safe NC - Emily Dowdle, 11, Catawaba County, 27 Sept 2016

Catawba County Police are calling Dowdle's disappearance a "runaway missing persons case." However, that is not affecting the urgency in the search.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/11-year-old-catawba-county-girl-missing/327026834

at 11? I am wondering how or why they are classifying it that way. If she did run away I have to wonder why or what her thought process is. It would be helpful to know the how or why because that classification leaves me feeling very unsettled. Were items of hers missing? Is it based on a lack of specific evidence indicating abduction?

Where are you Emily?

Catawba County Police are calling Dowdle's disappearance a "runaway missing persons case." However, that is not affecting the urgency in the search.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/11-year-old-catawba-county-girl-missing/327026834

at 11? I am wondering how or why they are classifying it that way. If she did run away I have to wonder why or what her thought process is. It would be helpful to know the how or why because that classification leaves me feeling very unsettled. Were items of hers missing? Is it based on a lack of specific evidence indicating abduction?

Where are you Emily?

There are rumors flying about a possible problem at school yesterday. Just rumors, but I'm hoping that's why they assume she's a runaway. Runaway would be the best scenario right now, in my opinion. Sure beats abduction or a problem with the parents. As always, there are going to be predators out, so she is NOT safe, but it's a relatively crime-free part of the world. (It's not like being a young runaway in Myrtle Beach, SC for example.) Just putting it into perspective; please don't fuss at me.

The social media around this case is a mess. I'm relatively local. When you see a reference to "Zahra," they're talking about hearing-impaired and physically disabled 10-yr-old Zahra Baker, who was murdered by her stepmother in September 2010 and dismembered. If I recall, they never could tell for sure what happened, but most people think her body was sent through a wood chipper (sorry, that is so awful.) As you can imagine, tensions in the community were high for a very long time. So, a lot of locals are reliving that awful time in their minds.

If I were 11 - where would I go? I wonder if any of her friends have stayed home from school today/called in sick? Maybe she's hiding at a friend's house?
Would LE ask neighbors to check or invite themselves in? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really thought she would turn up at school today after having a sleepover at a friends house without telling Mum. 🙁

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I really hope Emily is ok, and just hiding out. I read on the news that mom was home 15 minutes after Emily was dropped off. I always think about routines. My son wanted to stay home alone one morning, he was sick while I dropped my daughter off and I said no. I do the same thing everyday, you never know if someone is watching and waiting and knows your routine.

If I were 11 - where would I go? I wonder if any of her friends have stayed home from school today/called in sick? Maybe she's hiding at a friend's house?
Would LE ask neighbors to check or invite themselves in? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She could be hiding at a friends, and her friend is hiding from her own parents. When I was little I had permission to stay at my friends, who I always stay over at, well their parents said no, so I hid and slept in the closet and they never knew. Apparently at 11 I didn't need to eat for awhile.

Seeing that pic with her puppies from 3 weeks ago has me worried. I really hope she wasnt talking to random people on IG and someone contacted her about seeing a puppy (total stranger danger popped in my head.) :scared:
Not only an Instagram but a public, not private IG

Some tweets from her school and fire and rescue in this article: http://www.wltx.com/news/local/11-year-old-catawba-county-girl-missing/327291240

Sherrills Ford Terrell Fire and Rescue seems to be where they have set up the command center for her search.Gina Esposito was live fb from there: https://www.facebook.com/sftfr16/?fref=ts

It says she went missing from her home.
Doesn't that imply that she made it home and left after that? Was anyone home? Like an intruder? Is her bag at home? Is it possible that mom/guardian made her disappear?
I'm just assuming. I don't know what to think😢

All MOO!

It says she went missing from her home.
Doesn't that imply that she made it home and left after that? Was anyone home? Like an intruder? Is her bag at home? Is it possible that mom/guardian made her disappear?
I'm just assuming. I don't know what to think

All MOO!

It's a very short time for her to go missing. My first thought was the maybe the bus driver was mistaken. Maybe he/she saw another girl head that direction. How many students live on her street or get off at Emily's stop? Did any of them see her? Her bus stop would have to be right in front of her house for the driver to witness her walking to the back of her house. If we take the story at face value that the bus driver really saw her walking behind the house and her mom really came home 15 minutes later and realized she wasn't there then she might have gotten in a car. 15 minutes isn't long but it's long enough for the bus to pull away and a car to pull up. It also sounds like mom reported her missing really fast. I wonder if there was any indication before this that she might run away or if she found something when she got home--a note or signs of something not right like the back door unlocked? I do hope she is safe somewhere--maybe she spent the night at a friend's house without permission and the friend's parents are not yet aware Emily is missing.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=401270276663744&id=202960719828035&hc_location=ufi

FB LIVE VIDEO from police. Emily had missed 9 days of school and had been in trouble. She went to school tuesday and got off the bus and hasnt been seen since. Police are treating this as a run away (endangered) case.

Oh no. She is too young to be missing all that school and running away on her own. What was going on in her life? Are her parents together or separated? I have only seen mention of her mom so far.

I sure hope she's found today...like many others I am wondering what was going on in her personal life? What about her friends...what are they saying?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=401270276663744&id=202960719828035&hc_location=ufi

FB LIVE VIDEO from police. Emily had missed 9 days of school and had been in trouble. She went to school tuesday and got off the bus and hasnt been seen since. Police are treating this as a run away (endangered) case.

That video was glitchy but I finally got it to play. She lives with her step-mom and dad and a sister. At first he just said mom and dad but the reporter asked for clarification and he said step-mom. She does not have a cell phone and has never had one. She doesn't have any money or access to money. She had skipped school for 9 days and knew she was in trouble. They think she just stayed at her house and hid out there on the days she skipped school but it sounds like they don't really know.

Rso's in the area? Sounds very suspiscious and if she lost her mom, poor baby, maybe someone around has been "awfully kind" with her and goading her to skip school and "hang out"... Parents really should take more inventory of their kids free time and emotional state, maybe she wasnt handling things, maybe bullied. Poor family and poor girl. I think its best there isnt too much info, at the same time, because if she did sneak away on her own, who knows if there are any predatory people around ready to follow leads and find her first...hope she is just hiding out, but something big happened for an 11 to skip on her own and get away...

Still catching up, but why is an 11 year old running away? :(

9 days of "skipped" school? Wow. [emoji53]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member